ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,582

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#901 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:37 pm

grant101 wrote:
TronoWrappers wrote:The prophicy has already been written. :reporter:

Read on Twitter

We were saying the same thing when he was in France a couple years back to scout Ismael Kamagate

Read on Twitter

In any case, I hope someone else takes Tidjane leaving more skilled player for us at #17

I'm on his bandwagon. He has size and and his jumper looks repeatable, and he's hitting some already. Able to cut off the ball n finish due to his length. Looks like he can be our version of Denver Arron Gordon with a better jumper, guard some SF too. He definitely should be in play with the Pacers pick

In Raptor Ball I Trust
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 555

Post#902 » by grant101 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:57 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Given the projected talent that may still be available at the IND pick, I think we're almost forced to draft our back up PG with that pick. There won't be good enough wing prospects there (I've cooled a lil bit on Salaun, it's not so much his "skill" that worries me but his court awareness). I mean personally I'd still be VERY happy to draft Ware but like a few posters in here, I just have a gut feeling we're fairly locked in on Chomche with the DET pick, I'd actually be surprised if we aren't...

With the IND pick though, my current order for drafting a back up PG (if we're fortunate enough they're still available):

1. Jared McCain - his skillset pretty much mirrors IQ so should make for a fairly seamless fit into the rotation
2. Isaiah Collier - I'm torn a bit b/w him & Dev C, but Collier likely has a little more upside
3. Devin Carter - he just screams solid backup PG lol I think McCain can be a more dynamic shooter & Collier more dynamic off the dribble but DC is a good middle ground
4. Mark Sears - complete fall back for me, ofc he kinda resembles Brunson and is an elite shooter too but the obv problem is his height defensively

HM Ja’Kobe Walter obv he’s more a SG but I’d still consider him bc of his shooting. I’d actually have him ahead of DC but doubtful we don’t specifically draft a PG.

In a dream world we trade someone like Brown to the Bulls or Rockets for their pick and somehow snag one of Dillingham (he's actually kinda slept on in a way, I think he could be better than IQ long term) or Sheppard if they fell. I know that's VERY likely wishful thinking but with Coby taking over that starting role at PG, maybe they'll bite since they're always so desperate to remain "competitive", likewise how HOU is itching to make a Playoffs/PlayIn or maybe we can convince them to trade down for both our IND + DET pick. Then pawn off Brown on an actual Playoff team for their pick ie/ maybe Brown + DET pick for both of NYK's, not sure but I'd just LOVE to find a way to get one of those 2 (Rob or Reed). If not, I still think McCain would be the next best thing even if he is a lil zesty lol.

Like Vecenie mentions, Chomche would be fortunate to start for a high-level D1 school. If we do indeed draft him at 31, I'd have serious questions about our scouting staff. Bruno redux.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,648

Post#903 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:01 am

So Salaun at #17 and Chomche at #31?

Well maybe Ulirch is a raw as Ware was last year in Oregon, he's going to STILL be 18 until Dec 30!!! :o He may still grow to 7'0 or 7'1. :droop:
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,775

Post#904 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:26 am

NotMyKawhi wrote:Better to wait until 31 for a PG not many teams need PG. Only heat and spurs need PG before the pacers pick.

Almost guaranteed BPA at 31 will be a PG. I like Kolek

I like Simpson too
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 452

Post#905 » by CazOnReal » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:30 am

Psubs wrote:So Salaun at #17 and Chomche at #31?

Well maybe Ulirch is a raw as Ware was last year in Oregon, he's going to STILL be 18 until Dec 30!!! :o He may still grow to 7'0 or 7'1. :droop:

I feel like you either pick Salaun as your project player of the future or you make Chomche the project player.

Doing both, I don't know if you'll be able to give them the focus they need unless one or both of them come out of the gate looking more complete than they currently do - and let's not forget that RJ, Scottie, Quickley and Dick all need reps since none of them are finished products either.

If you asked me to choose, i'd go with Chomche as the project given his size, athleticism and his flashes shown as a playmaker (even if he does turn the ball over more than he does assist, currently). Plus there's a lot less competition for minutes at the 5 even if you pencil in time for Barrett or Scottie as a small ball 5 than there is at the 2-4.

Also not for nothing but Chomche is 75% from the line and he's 38% from 3 and his shot form looks a lot better than Tidjane's (It is still a bit wonky but it doesn't look broken).
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,375

Post#906 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:43 am

grant101 wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:Given the projected talent that may still be available at the IND pick, I think we're almost forced to draft our back up PG with that pick. There won't be good enough wing prospects there (I've cooled a lil bit on Salaun, it's not so much his "skill" that worries me but his court awareness). I mean personally I'd still be VERY happy to draft Ware but like a few posters in here, I just have a gut feeling we're fairly locked in on Chomche with the DET pick, I'd actually be surprised if we aren't...

With the IND pick though, my current order for drafting a back up PG (if we're fortunate enough they're still available):

1. Jared McCain - his skillset pretty much mirrors IQ so should make for a fairly seamless fit into the rotation
2. Isaiah Collier - I'm torn a bit b/w him & Dev C, but Collier likely has a little more upside
3. Devin Carter - he just screams solid backup PG lol I think McCain can be a more dynamic shooter & Collier more dynamic off the dribble but DC is a good middle ground
4. Mark Sears - complete fall back for me, ofc he kinda resembles Brunson and is an elite shooter too but the obv problem is his height defensively

HM Ja’Kobe Walter obv he’s more a SG but I’d still consider him bc of his shooting. I’d actually have him ahead of DC but doubtful we don’t specifically draft a PG.

In a dream world we trade someone like Brown to the Bulls or Rockets for their pick and somehow snag one of Dillingham (he's actually kinda slept on in a way, I think he could be better than IQ long term) or Sheppard if they fell. I know that's VERY likely wishful thinking but with Coby taking over that starting role at PG, maybe they'll bite since they're always so desperate to remain "competitive", likewise how HOU is itching to make a Playoffs/PlayIn or maybe we can convince them to trade down for both our IND + DET pick. Then pawn off Brown on an actual Playoff team for their pick ie/ maybe Brown + DET pick for both of NYK's, not sure but I'd just LOVE to find a way to get one of those 2 (Rob or Reed). If not, I still think McCain would be the next best thing even if he is a lil zesty lol.

Like Vecenie mentions, Chomche would be fortunate to start for a high-level D1 school. If we do indeed draft him at 31, I'd have serious questions about our scouting staff. Bruno redux.

Very different players & things that they would be asked to do...

Bruno was brought in with the hopes to become a 1st option scorer but lacked the speed of Giannis and shooting touch of KD with really no bball IQ at all lol. He wasn't a good athlete, didn't have the skill, talent or comprehension to do the tasks he was being asked to do.

Chomche on the otherhand would be brought in to be a defensive anchor & lob threat, so he on the otherhand is an elite athlete with all the physical tools to be great at what he's being asked to do and also has the instincts. It's a limited but valuable role that there's no real reason why he can't fulfill it. There's a reason why his defence stood out at the Hoop Summit where as Bruno NEVER stood out, he was basically a random, obscure pick. Where he's very "raw" is offensively which of course is not what he'd be tasked with and anything that we can get out of him on that end would just be gravy. While his shot mechanics aren't perfect, there's still some semblance of shooting touch which is the far more important part as the mechanics can obv be tweaked. This is comparing apples to oranges.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Psubs
RealGM

Post#907 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:02 am

CazOnReal wrote:

I feel like you either pick Salaun as your project player of the future or you make Chomche the project player.

Doing both, I don't know if you'll be able to give them the focus they need unless one or both of them come out of the gate looking more complete than they currently do - and let's not forget that RJ, Scottie, Quickley and Dick all need reps since none of them are finished products either.

If you asked me to choose, i'd go with Chomche as the project given his size, athleticism and his flashes shown as a playmaker (even if he does turn the ball over more than he does assist, currently). Plus there's a lot less competition for minutes at the 5 even if you pencil in time for Barrett or Scottie as a small ball 5 than there is at the 2-4.

Also not for nothing but Chomche is 75% from the line and he's 38% from 3 and his shot form looks a lot better than Tidjane's (It is still a bit wonky but it doesn't look broken).

I don't mind 2 projects to get play with the 905. Just with #6, would take Reed, Holland or Castle and they would be slotted into the rotation off the bench Day 1.
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 555

Post#908 » by grant101 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:15 am

PhilBlackson wrote:
grant101 wrote:

Very different players & things that they would be asked to do...

Bruno was brought in with the hopes to become a 1st option scorer but lacked the speed of Giannis and shooting touch of KD with really no bball IQ at all lol. He wasn't a good athlete, didn't have the skill, talent or comprehension to do the tasks he was being asked to do.

Chomche on the otherhand would be brought in to be a defensive anchor & lob threat, so he on the otherhand is an elite athlete with all the physical tools to be great at what he's being asked to do and also has the instincts. It's a limited but valuable role that there's no real reason why he can't fulfill it. There's a reason why his defence stood out at the Hoop Summit where as Bruno NEVER stood out, he was basically a random, obscure pick. Where he's very "raw" is offensively which of course is not what he'd be tasked with and anything that we can get out of him on that end would just be gravy. While his shot mechanics aren't perfect, there's still some semblance of shooting touch which is the far more important part as the mechanics can obv be tweaked. This is comparing apples to oranges.

I guess I disagree that Ulrich can in fact play the role you're projecting, at least over then next few years while still on a rookie contract. He is both lost and undisciplined on the defensive and offensive ends and it's not like he has outlier length or athleticism. He's ok. Adem Bona is a significantly better athlete, for instance (and I'm not even a fan). I just don't understand where the hype comes from. My guess is the mystery box element cause so few got to see him play this year.

He's just super raw and is likely to submarine schemes on both ends. No way Darko lets him see the floor.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,375

Post#909 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:26 am

Psubs wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:

I don't mind 2 projects to get play with the 905. Just with #6, would take Reed, Holland or Castle and they would be slotted into the rotation off the bench Day 1.

As much I think both guy can be MAJOR boom or bust prospects, I'd probably stick to one as well and right now I'm favoring Chomche as well even though I started out with Tijuan and that's because a lot of what I just said with the Bruno comparison that was made. The defining factor for me is HOW likely do I believe it is either can reach their ceiling and what role will they be asked to play as they develop?!

Salaun has intriguing skills for his size but his court awareness/bball IQ really concerns me. It's tough because he literally only started playing bball like a year ago so it's actually quite impressive skillwise how far he's come but you see an almost elementary level of in game comprehension of what's happening on the court. For me he's more of a "hopeful" pick because you hope based on how quickly he picked up some of the individuals skills & mechanics that it will translate into understanding schemes and live play but right now he's really far away from that. Chomche should at least be ready to rebound, defend and roll to the basket from day 1 but at least those things should have some level of impact then we can develop his offence down the line.

The only way I'd be (kinda) ok with taking both, is if we lose our pick this year...

Then you set the path for another late season tank as we'd mainly have the same roster but then you move Yak at the deadline (hopefully Bruce during the off-season or draft) and hope that we could stay in the top 10. BUT tbh I just don't see Masai & Co passing on getting backup PG at the IND pick, there's a lot of solid prospects (McCain, Collier, Carter etc) in that range that can shore up the position for the next near decade lol. Ofc it's just my guess but I really believe whether we keep our pick or not that our FO is taking a back up PG with the IND pick and 3rd string big ie/ Chomche with the DET one. I know they'd love to get a wing but I don't think they'll force it (ie/ Ryan Dunn who will likely just be a taller Thybulle), I think they'll try to take the best talent they can and just given how the draft is likely to shake out they'll have better options at those positions at the time.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,455

Post#910 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:55 am

At #17 we should be looking at Devin Carter or Kel'el Ware. If these guys were taken earlier then the pick should be Isaiah Collier.

I would really, REALLY love if Holmes was available at #31..would have been a much better use of the pick than Agbaji but whatever. guess at that point, you might as well take a chance on Dunn or something. There really isn't anyone that late that I see has a shot a longevity in the league, much less stardom - though of course, I'd love to be wrong about that.

Stay away from Chomche. IIRC, his latest measurements had him at 6'8.

Still a lot more left to sort out before I can say definitively who I'd take if we keep the pick but as of this moment, I think Dillingham is going to be really good but we already have Quickley and I'm not sure Dillingham is going to be better than him. Other than that, I don't really like the top of this draft either. Holland could be interesting in a move down scenario, maybe Cody Williams as well?
CazOnReal
Senior

Post#911 » by CazOnReal » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:32 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:At #17 we should be looking at Devin Carter or Kel'el Ware. If these guys were taken earlier then the pick should be Isaiah Collier.

I would really, REALLY love if Holmes was available at #31..would have been a much better use of the pick than Agbaji but whatever. guess at that point, you might as well take a chance on Dunn or something. There really isn't anyone that late that I see has a shot a longevity in the league, much less stardom - though of course, I'd love to be wrong about that.

Still a lot more left to sort out before I can say definitively who I'd take if we keep the pick but as of this moment, I think Dillingham is going to be really good but we already have Quickley and I'm not sure Dillingham is going to be better than him. Other than that, I don't really like the top of this draft either. Holland could be interesting in a move down scenario, maybe Cody Williams as well?

Ware is another potential "project" guy though with him it's less a matter of "can they showcase some skill with their athleticism/size" and more "can you fix an (allegedly) problematic motor a la Mo Bamba?" because Kel'el has talent. Moves great for a 7'1 center, can be terrific on defense when locked in (if locked in, I guess I should say) and even if his 3-point shooting is a question mark since his FT% is less than promising and the college line is shorter than the NBA 3-point line, he did make 40%+ of his college 3s.

I like Kel'el and he really does remind me of Ayton in more ways than one because Deandre's motor has been an issue for some time despite having the combination of skill and size to be a dominant force in the paint (and Ayton's midrange game is solid enough that you really wish he'd turn some of those long 2s into 3s).
Psubs
RealGM

Post#912 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:04 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:At #17 we should be looking at Devin Carter or Kel'el Ware. If these guys were taken earlier then the pick should be Isaiah Collier.

The fixed the measurements in shoes to be 6'11. He's at least 6'9.5 without shoes, but we should wait for the official combine measurements. Also 18 so may grow a little still.

After the FO was able to draft Barnes instead of Suggs, Kuminga and Wagner, I trust them.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,239

Post#913 » by Dalek » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:06 am

I like the way you are thinking. I really like a combo of Devin Carter and either Ware or Holmes. Gives us good depth without risk. Holmes to me is plug and play into the bench. Ware has a bit more upside and I would be surprised if he survived to 31.

If we get 6 or higher we can gamble a bit on a 18-19 year old but after that we need to get rotation guys. We already have too much inexperience.
CazOnReal
Senior

Post#914 » by CazOnReal » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:17 am

FADED: Pelicans eliminated the Kings, our Pacers pick will fall between 16-19, dependent on a future draw.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,207

Post#915 » by Mark_83 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:16 am

Da Silva just seems tailormade for a Darko-coached team. He's a versatile, connective piece on the offensive end who can pass, cut, and shoot, while being a smart, switchable defender from 2-4. He's like a shorter Santi Aldama.

OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,900

Post#916 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:58 am

Totally agree.

I'd be down for Cody Williams in the lotto, da Silva at Pacers pick. And anybody but Chonche at 31. Sam Vecenie is right about Chomche. At some point we need core skills in order to invest. I still like Brazile at 31. Could care less about position. Unless we get Sarr or Clingan or Edey I'm hard passing on centres.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,900

Post#917 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:09 am

There's good players in this draft. Allstars?
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,775

Post#918 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:23 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:There's good players in this draft. Allstars?

There always is
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,706

Post#919 » by Yallbecrazy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:06 pm

Da Silva is not a FRP. Seniors with a 7.1 bpm who don't project as good defenders and are poor rebounders have an uphill battle to make it onto a NBA roster. Not saying he won't make it for sure, but it is pretty unlikely in my opinion.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,341

Post#920 » by alpngso » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Raptors