ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,990

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1101 » by Reeko » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:20 am

dohboy_24 wrote:
Reeko wrote:
There is no consensus first overall pick this year. Sarr may be favored, but he is far from the consensus. Maybe you guys just don't know what "consensus" means.

Other than Sarr, who else has the potential to be selected #1 overall?

Most recently there was a 3-way split between Paolo Banchero, Jabari Smith Jr and Chet Holgrem for the #1 pick by the Magic.

Are there even 2 other prospects being seriously considered alongside Alex Sarr in this draft? If so, who is being considered and who is suggesting they should be considered along with Sarr for the #1 pick?

Risacher.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer
And1: 227

Post#1102 » by dohboy_24 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:21 am

Notable former #20 picks:

Cam Whitmore
Jalen Johnson
Precious Achiuwa
Matisse Thybulle
Caris LaVert
Evan Fournier
Jameer Nelson
Brendan Haywood
======
Raptors Tank Nation Member #11031995

DRAFT BOARD:
G: Castle, Pate, Walter, Collier, George, McCain, Carrington, Alexander
F: Buzelis, Holland, Risacher, Salaun, Flowers, Chomche, Evans Jr.
C: Clingan, Filipowski, Ware, Holmes II, Onyenso
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,739

Post#1103 » by BoyzNTheHood » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:38 am

Reeko wrote:
dohboy_24 wrote:
Reeko wrote:
There is no consensus first overall pick this year. Sarr may be favored, but he is far from the consensus. Maybe you guys just don't know what "consensus" means.

Other than Sarr, who else has the potential to be selected #1 overall?

Most recently there was a 3-way split between Paolo Banchero, Jabari Smith Jr and Chet Holgrem for the #1 pick by the Magic.

Are there even 2 other prospects being seriously considered alongside Alex Sarr in this draft? If so, who is being considered and who is suggesting they should be considered along with Sarr for the #1 pick?

Risacher.

Imagine taking Austin Daye 2.0 first overall. There isn’t an organization in this world that would hire that GM again. ESPN would be their only option as a draft “expert”
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer

Post#1104 » by dohboy_24 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:38 am

Reeko wrote:Risacher.

Since the Raptors have been in the league, in which drafts has there been a clear-cut #1 overall choice?

2023 - Victor Wembyama
2019 - Zion Williamson
2016 - Ben Simmons
2012 - Anthony Davis
2011 - Kyrie Irving
2010 - John Wall
2009 - Blake Griffin
2008 - Derrick Rose
2003 - LeBron James
2002 - Yao Ming
2000 - Kenyon Martin
1999 - Elton Brand
1997 - Tim Duncan
1996 - Allen Iverson

By my count, that's 14 of the 29 possible drafts, meaning you're just as likely to choose someone at #1 who isn't the clear-cut consensus as you are someone who has such agreement.
======

DRAFT BOARD:
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 556

Post#1105 » by grant101 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:46 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:
grant101 wrote:Oof! Drafting 19 sucks. There's a definite drop off in quality after around 16.

Not from the mainstream mocks that I have seen.

Yeah I’m not deep on the draft either but all the mocks I listen to pick based on fit and need after the first 8-10 picks.

By 19, Collier, Carter and McCain are likely all gone. I don't think any of the wings or bigs typically projected around there (eg Ware, DaSilva, Mccullar, Smith, etc.) are significantly better than the kinds of players available available at 31.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#1106 » by Reeko » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:47 am

dohboy_24 wrote:
Reeko wrote:Risacher.

Since the Raptors have been in the league, in which drafts has there been a clear-cut #1 overall choice?

2023 - Victor Wembyama
2019 - Zion Williamson
2016 - Ben Simmons
2012 - Anthony Davis
2011 - Kyrie Irving
2010 - John Wall
2009 - Blake Griffin
2008 - Derrick Rose
2003 - LeBron James
2002 - Yao Ming
2000 - Kenyon Martin
1999 - Elton Brand
1997 - Tim Duncan
1996 - Allen Iverson

By my count, that's 14 of the 29 possible drafts, meaning you're just as likely to choose someone at #1 who isn't the clear-cut consensus as you are someone who has such agreement.

Towns in '15, was definitely the consensus #1.

Wiggins in '14? Although that was only the case because of Embiid's injury, otherwise he would have been the consensus #1.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 453

Post#1107 » by CazOnReal » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:00 am

So we can all agree that if we lose our pick that this is the worst Raptors season of all time, right? Like there's obviously worse record-wise, worse draft whiffs, etc., but to lose nearly 60 games and not even have a lottery pick - irrespective of the draft's strength (Remember, the Raptors got Morris "Big Shot" Peterson from the atrocious 2000 NBA draft and he was one of the better players from that class) - is an abominable outcome that makes transitioning to the Barnes era all the more difficult.

Whatever you may think of Sarr, Castle, etc., this team needs more young promising players on this roster.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,511

Post#1108 » by bballsparkin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:01 am

Reeko wrote:
dohboy_24 wrote:Other than Sarr, who else has the potential to be selected #1 overall?

Risacher.

Chet was always the number 1 pick in my pick. But I get that he has the label concerning injury risk. You roll with that risk IMHO.

I don't buy that there aren't good players in this draft. But it definitely is an odd one. It seems to be down to either Risacher or Starr. But there are people in this thread who wouldn't pick Risacher at 6th. And maybe a Kentucky guard is chosen. Hard to know.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#1109 » by Reeko » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:05 am

bballsparkin wrote:
Reeko wrote:
dohboy_24 wrote:Other than Sarr, who else has the potential to be selected #1 overall?

Risacher.

Chet was always the number 1 pick in my pick. But I get that he has the label concerning injury risk. You roll with that risk IMHO.

I don't buy that there aren't good players in this draft. But it definitely is an odd one. It seems to be down to either Risacher or Starr. But there are people in this thread who wouldn't pick Risacher at 6th. And maybe a Kentucky guard is chosen. Hard to know.

I had Paolo as the #1 pick in '22. Just too skilled offensively at that size. With that said, in a redraft Chet goes #1.
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 556

Post#1110 » by grant101 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:08 am

CazOnReal wrote:So we can all agree that if we lose our pick that this is the worst Raptors season of all time, right? Like there's obviously worse record-wise, worse draft whiffs, etc., but to lose nearly 60 games and not even have a lottery pick - irrespective of the draft's strength (Remember, the Raptors got Morris "Big Shot" Peterson from the atrocious 2000 NBA draft and he was one of the better players from that class) - is an abominable outcome that makes transitioning to the Barnes era all the more difficult.

Whatever you may think of Sarr, Castle, etc., this team needs more young promising players on this roster.

Nothing will ever top the Mike James year in terms of bummer years to be a Raptors fan, but no doubt, this year blows
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,511

Post#1111 » by bballsparkin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:14 am

Reeko wrote:I had Paolo as the #1 pick in '22. Just too skilled offensively at that size. With that said, in a redraft Chet goes #1.

I doubted Paolo's ability to be a defensive presence. That said, he's been impressive offensively. Not the worst pick. :wink:
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer

Post#1112 » by dohboy_24 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:24 am

Reeko wrote:

Wiggins in '14? Although that was only the case because of Embiid's injury, otherwise he would have been the consensus #1.

2015 was between Towns, Russell and Okafor.

2014 could have been Parker or Embiid at #1 rather than Wiggins.
======

DRAFT BOARD:
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,582

Post#1113 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:41 am

grant101 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:
Not from the mainstream mocks that I have seen.

Yeah I’m not deep on the draft either but all the mocks I listen to pick based on fit and need after the first 8-10 picks.

By 19, Collier, Carter and McCain are likely all gone. I don't think any of the wings or bigs typically projected around there (eg Ware, DaSilva, Mccullar, Smith, etc.) are significantly better than the kinds of players available available at 31.

One of those guards will be there, PGs are not in hot commodity right now around the league.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#1114 » by Reeko » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:46 am

dohboy_24 wrote:
Reeko wrote:

No, Towns was the consensus #1 that year. I remember it pretty clearly.

In 2014, I think everyone recognized by year's end that Embiid was the best prospect but the injury concerns were very real at that point (and continued to be early on in his career). Because of that most had Wiggins going 1st. So I won't say he was the consensus pick but I would say he was heavily favored. The Wiggins hype was tremendous.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,269

Post#1115 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:50 am

CazOnReal wrote:So we can all agree that if we lose our pick that this is the worst Raptors season of all time, right? Like there's obviously worse record-wise, worse draft whiffs, etc., but to lose nearly 60 games and not even have a lottery pick - irrespective of the draft's strength (Remember, the Raptors got Morris "Big Shot" Peterson from the atrocious 2000 NBA draft and he was one of the better players from that class) - is an abominable outcome that makes transitioning to the Barnes era all the more difficult.

While I disagree (seeing the transition to a new core was alright), say it was the worst season, so what? We move on to the off-season and the start of a new one soon.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,739

Post#1116 » by BoyzNTheHood » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:55 am

Said this earlier and people got salty. It’s a fact. If we lose the pick this year has been an absolute dumpster fire. There were years we were expected to lose but we secured a high pick.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,142

Post#1117 » by billy_hoyle » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:58 am

Reeko wrote:
dohboy_24 wrote:
Reeko wrote:

In 2014, I think everyone recognized by year's end that Embiid was the best prospect but the injury concerns were very real at that point (and continued to be early on in his career). Because of that most had Wiggins going 1st. So I won't say he was the consensus pick but I would say he was heavily favored. The Wiggins hype was tremendous.

I think Towns was consensus too. Embiid has a case in 2014.

I think it's quite telling that a number of those 'consensus' picks aren't even the best players from their draft.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,538

Post#1118 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:05 am

Reeko wrote:
dohboy_24 wrote:
Reeko wrote:

Towns was consensus #1 without a doubt that year.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,518

Post#1119 » by S.W.A.N » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:16 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:

Said this earlier and people got salty. It’s a fact. If we lose the pick this year has been an absolute dumpster fire. There were years we were expected to lose but we secured a high pick.

Nah. I'd consider that a casual fan take.

Fact is this dumpster fire of a season allowed for a lot of change to happen that will allow for a proper rebuild.
Whether we get a top 6 pick this year or have our own pick next year is of small consequence in the big picture.

The dumpster part of the season was caused by missed games due to injuries and personal issues. That is life. Now if we were Detroit or Washington bad then ya not having a draft pick would be a huge kick to the groin... I see you Brooklyn.

Taking a step back this year while adding a new coach and building around Scottie is going to pay off big time in the future. There are plenty of seasons in the past where the team just straight up sucked and that draft pick was the only sliver of hope for better days. We don't need that. We need the team to surround Scottie with the right players and I think this season was a pretty good start on that.
We the North
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,518

Post#1120 » by S.W.A.N » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:17 am

grant101 wrote:

Nothing will ever top the Mike James year in terms of bummer years to be a Raptors fan, but no doubt, this year blows

Damn I wasted a bunch of brain cells explaining that this wasn't worst year ever when I could've just said Mike James... Well done sir!
We the North

Return to Toronto Raptors