ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,199

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#681 » by God Squad » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:45 pm

DG88 wrote:
God Squad wrote:So I'm fairly late to this process due to the lottery results pending. But I don't love a lot of the freshmen in this class. I'm a big fan of looking at advanced stats and learned that BPM is a pretty good stat to project the impact a player might have in their minutes. Reed looks good in this regard, but I have questions about his measurements and position.

Has anyone watched this Collin Murray-Boyles kid? Has a whopping 10.3 BPM and the boxscores say he's a hell of a scorer. The stats are telling me he should be one of the top freshmen in this class, but I don't see him discussed.

Seems like a diamond waiting to be found.

He has been but I read somewhere that he's going back to school.

Boooo. Back to the drawing board.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,577

Post#682 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:57 pm

If we are looking at players to guard multiple positions then Risharcher/Holland/Buzelis/C.Willaims are all in play, & I wanted to go big wing. One of those should be available at 6, 2 of them should be available at 4.

I'm warming up to Holland at little bit more..

In Raptor Ball I Trust
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,508

Post#683 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:05 pm

Don't forget Darko mentioned getting a back up PG. I don't really see anyone in this draft that gets in the lane to create better than Topic. What was Topic's BPM?
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 555

Post#684 » by grant101 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:07 pm

Just because we keep circling around the same prospects, here's a luke-warm take: I think Tyon Grant-Foster and Isaiah Crawford are both unlikely to be drafted, but will both have a better chance to go on to have productive NBA careers than a large majority of this draft.

They both have the potential to slide into a a Dorian Finney-Smith role, with significantly better handles and creation ability. Their defence, athleticism and length is severely lacking on this team. Nabbing one (or both!) as UDFAs would be an absolute win for this team (which hasn't had much recent success with UDFA rookies).
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,706

Post#685 » by Yallbecrazy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:12 pm

God Squad wrote:So I'm fairly late to this process due to the lottery results pending. But I don't love a lot of the freshmen in this class. I'm a big fan of looking at advanced stats and learned that BPM is a pretty good stat to project the impact a player might have in their minutes. Reed looks good in this regard, but I have questions about his measurements and position.

Has anyone watched this Collin Murray-Boyles kid? Has a whopping 10.3 BPM and the boxscores say he's a hell of a scorer. The stats are telling me he should be one of the top freshmen in this class, but I don't see him discussed.

I discovered CMB two weeks ago and am all in on him. He's probably #1 on my board, and he has been discussed a fair amount of late thanks to someone else more informed bringing him up and then I fellating him as a prospect shortly thereafter.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant

Post#686 » by Yallbecrazy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:14 pm

God Squad wrote:
DG88 wrote:

He has been but I read somewhere that he's going back to school.

He indicated right after his team got knocked out in the first round of march madness that he would be back, but there's some chatter about him entering the process and apparently his coach hinted that he may not be back.

If he enters the process for the draft I'm sure he'll get a lot of positive feedback and then he'd be crazy to withdraw from the draft to return to school.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,644

Post#687 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:15 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
Psubs wrote:Pretty much Salaun is somewhere between a Coulibaly and Bruno prospect.

I feel like Chomche is the Giannis type prospect that Masai let get away. Milwaukee took a risk by reaching at 15, so I think reaching for Chomche at #17 is what should be done. Could see the Knicks nabbing him with 1 of their 2 picks in the 20's.

18. NO
19. Philly
21. NO
23. Pho
24. NY
25. NY
26. Was

These teams could all use Chomche, so shouldn't wait until #31.

Then at #31 take the safer player or someone like Carlton Carrington if he somehow doesn't get picked up in the 1st.

While I'm with you on being ok with taking Chomche with the IND (which I'm guessing a lot of ppl won't be)...and if Yang isn't declaring then UC is my landslide favorite to get with the DET pick....

I just can't with these comparisons that you've made for Chomche, first Hakeem & now Giannis :lol: my boy I really like Chomche but idk what the heck you're watching that makes you think he's that LEVEL of prospect!

You're talking about MVP, HOF, Top 15ish all time players.....that's what you think Ulrich might be?! I can see him developing into one of the best rim protectors in the league, sure BUT one of the best players of all time, come on my guy lol we might have to simmah down a little bit on that. I think more realistically we'd just hope for him to develop into a "Turner", "Lopez" or "Prime Ibaka" type of rim protector that can stretch the floor.

But I don't see the makings of the elite footwork Hakeem had or the crazy downhill speed/overall quickness & ballhandling (not that he has a crazy bag) Giannis possess at his size.

Giannis grew from like 6'9 without shoes to 6'11 without shoes and that allowed him to dunk from anywhere. Also he got stronger. Right now Chomche is 6'11 in shoes so around 6'9-6'10 without shoes. We'll have to wait for the combine official measurements. He's 18 1/3 years old. If he's able to grow 1 more inch he'll have the same combination as Giannis. He has a 7'4 wingspan and shoots the 3 and FT's already much better than Giannis.

The Hakeem and Embiid comps are ceilings but why can't he surpass them? I big fat 7' kid drafted in the middle of the 2nd round has surpassed them. Embiid grew into his frame and really grew to MVP calibre and Chomche has all the tools.

Also there was a video I posted where the guy pointed out his soccer background footwork and able to get down in the stance and guard on the perimeter. He at least seems as nimble as Tyler Smith.

If Masai doesn't select Chomche with the Pacers pick, I really don't know why he's bothering with the Giants of Africa.

Chomche has shown that he might be better than Khaman Malauch (who started in the Nike Hoops Summit), who may be bigger like a Zach Edey/Donovan Clingan mix but Chomche might be the better prospect.

Looking at the future with Maluach, Wemby, Chet, I don't think that Clingan, Edey, Ware, Missi, Tyler Smith would have a better go at guarding them than Chomche.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#688 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:19 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:

I discovered CMB two weeks ago and am all in on him. He's probably #1 on my board, and he has been discussed a fair amount of late thanks to someone else more informed bringing him up and then I fellating him as a prospect shortly thereafter.

I do like him too. Would the Knicks want #17 and #31 for #24 and #25? Would we be able to get Chomche and CMB with those picks? :o
Psubs
RealGM

Post#689 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:21 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:Don't forget Darko mentioned getting a back up PG. I don't really see anyone in this draft that gets in the lane to create better than Topic. What was Topic's BPM?

I would either use the MLE for a more veteran backup PG or spend more money and bring back Demar Derozan who could play some backup PG.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,199

Post#690 » by God Squad » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:
God Squad wrote:
DG88 wrote:He has been but I read somewhere that he's going back to school.

He indicated right after his team got knocked out in the first round of march madness that he would be back, but there's some chatter about him entering the process and apparently his coach hinted that he may not be back.

If he enters the process for the draft I'm sure he'll get a lot of positive feedback and then he'd be crazy to withdraw from the draft to return to school.

I'm still very early in the process, but so far he's my guy. I'm not sure who he's reminding me of.
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer
And1: 227

Post#691 » by dohboy_24 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:27 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:A little old for a freshman, turning 20 just after the draft. Does a lot of things well, decent stocks, good free throw rate and percentage and good assist to turnover ratio. Okayish rebounder and no real stand out skills. Wouldn't hate him @#31, but wouldn't be excited either.

Yes, I was thinking of him as an option with the #31 pick.

As far as his age as a freshman is concerned, the age gap between KEJ and comparable players is less than a year for all but Tidjane Salaun who isn't really a college freshman nor the age at which he could have attended college as a freshman this year:

Kwame Evans Jr (19 year old freshman at Oregon) - born Aug 2, 2004 = 7,197 days old as of Apr 16, 2024

Matas Buzelis (19 year old G-league Ignite player) - born Oct 13, 2004 = 7,125 days old = 72 days younger
Stephon Castle (19 year old freshman at UConn) - born Nov 1, 2004 = 7,106 days old = 91 days younger
Tyler Smith (19 year old G-league Ignite player) - born Nov 2, 2004 = 7,105 days old = 92 days younger
Cody Williams (19 year old freshman at Colorado) - born Nov 20, 2004 = 7,087 days old = 110 days younger
Johnny Furphy (19 year old freshman at Kansas) - born Dec 7, 2004 = 7,070 days old = 127 days younger
Zaccharie Risacher (19 year old international player) - born Apr 8, 2005 = 6,948 days old = 249 days younger
Ron Holland (18 year old G-league Ignite player) - born July 7, 2005 = 6,858 days old = 339 days younger
Tidjane Salaun (18 year old international player) - born Aug 10, 2005 = 6,824 days old = 373 days younger
======
Raptors Tank Nation Member #11031995

DRAFT BOARD:
G: Castle, Pate, Walter, Collier, George, McCain, Carrington, Alexander
F: Buzelis, Holland, Risacher, Salaun, Flowers, Chomche, Evans Jr.
C: Clingan, Filipowski, Ware, Holmes II, Onyenso
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant

Post#692 » by Yallbecrazy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:27 pm

Psubs wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:

I do like him too. Would the Knicks want #17 and #31 for #24 and #25? Would we be able to get Chomche and CMB with those picks? :o

While some mocks have CMB going late 1st, there are a few with him in the lottery. If he shots semi decently in workouts/ the combine then he is absolutely going top 10. I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing him top 6 as I see him as a good to great defensive wing who can pass really well, cut, get to the rim, draw fouls, and finish through contact. If he develops a good jump shot (especially off the dribble), which is obviously a lot to ask because of where his shot is now then he really does have the potential to be a top 5-10 player in the league in my opinion.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#693 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:30 pm

God Squad wrote:
Yallbecrazy wrote:
God Squad wrote:Boooo. Back to the drawing board.

I'm still very early in the process, but so far he's my guy. I'm not sure who he's reminding me of, maybe shades of Paul Peirce?

Draymond Green, who was drafted 35th overall. Hopefully we tell CMB that we'll give him a 3 year deal as the #31 pick, which Draymond also got.

CMB looks like he's 2 years ahead of Draymond in development at the same age.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#694 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:32 pm

Psubs wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:Don't forget Darko mentioned getting a back up PG. I don't really see anyone in this draft that gets in the lane to create better than Topic. What was Topic's BPM?

I would either use the MLE for a more veteran backup PG or spend more money and bring back Demar Derozan who could play some backup PG.

not on our radar
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#695 » by Dalek » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:52 pm

Psubs wrote:

I don't have advanced stats, but from what film I have watched Topic is going to a weak defender in a lot of the same ways as Gradey Dick. He has good size, but at 18 his body isn't there yet and he gets caught ball watching. That said, if you get him as your back-up PG the offense will flow well but you have to give him the ball in pick and roll. He is a really good driver and maybe in time could be a starter, although the hit rate on Euro guards starting in the NBA is low.

He is in a cluster with Dillingham, Castle and Reed and I probably worry about Topic's shooting the most, but he can really get to the rim and pass, so as a pure PG, I rate him higher than the others. I also think he will be a better defender than Dillingham and Reed.

Toronto and Washington are probably going to be the best places for him. The Spurs probably prefer Dillingham more because of the shooting gravity, while the Wiz have a dire need at PG, and Toronto lacks a traditional PG and Darko is a pick and roll coach.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,985

Post#696 » by MEDIC » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 pm

Mark_83 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

I've been skeptical of Dunn as a high pick, but in the late teens to 20s he's a potential steal. I don't see star level upside unless he has another two gears of skill development like Pascal, but his floor is already high as a defensive stopper and all he has to do is develop a catch and shoot three and you have an elite 3 + D player to replace OG. Forget about adding anything else to his game. You lock him in the gym and make him shoot till he can consistently shoot 37% or better from three. Any other skills he adds are just a bonus.

I like the idea of Dunn with the Pacers pick more than I like the idea of Castle/ Holland/ Cody Williams with a top 6 pick.

Dunn is a more fluid athlete than OG & has better handles. His shooting mechanics looks.OK as well. If he could be OG lite on defense as a point of attack defender & Scottie lite as a help defender, then that's pretty solid pick in the late teens. We need a player like that.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#697 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:08 pm

Read on Twitter
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,120

Post#698 » by MiamiSPX » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:41 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

What an oddly candid thing to say.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,895

Post#699 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:20 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:If we are looking at players to guard multiple positions then Risharcher/Holland/Buzelis/C.Willaims are all in play, & I wanted to go big wing. One of those should be available at 6, 2 of them should be available at 4.

I'm warming up to Holland at little bit more..

Holland very worthy of going 6th.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#700 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:31 pm

Dalek wrote:
Psubs wrote:

I don't have advanced stats, but from what film I have watched Topic is going to a weak defender in a lot of the same ways as Gradey Dick. He has good size, but at 18 his body isn't there yet and he gets caught ball watching. That said, if you get him as your back-up PG the offense will flow well but you have to give him the ball in pick and roll. He is a really good driver and maybe in time could be a starter, although the hit rate on Euro guards starting in the NBA is low.

He is in a cluster with Dillingham, Castle and Reed and I probably worry about Topic's shooting the most, but he can really get to the rim and pass, so as a pure PG, I rate him higher than the others. I also think he will be a better defender than Dillingham and Reed.

Toronto and Washington are probably going to be the best places for him. The Spurs probably prefer Dillingham more because of the shooting gravity, while the Wiz have a dire need at PG, and Toronto lacks a traditional PG and Darko is a pick and roll coach.

Spurs really just need player that are unselfish and will feed Wemby, knock down a 3 and play defense. Cason Wallace type of player.

Return to Toronto Raptors