ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,650

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1241 » by Psubs » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:36 am

bballsparkin wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:I would wait for the Thunder to make a Conference Finals appearance before congratulating them on a successful rebuild - especially when upcoming cap decisions that'll need to be made are what led to Presti's biggest failure as a GM by breaking up the trio of Harden/Westbrook/Durant around a decade ago.

Yes, they're the 1 seed right now but as the 2018 Raptors demonstrated, that doesn't mean you're guaranteed any playoff success, and it certainly doesn't guarantee a championship. Hell, the last game was a close one against a Pelicans team that lacked Zion/had a not great Brandon Ingram game.

Yes, they have a lot of assets but while I do trust Presti more than, say, the 76ers series of blundering GMs to make use of them, the way he plans to use them as cheap depth rather than potential trade fodder to get them the final piece for a bonafide contender could backfire if they miss out on grabbing someone who could push them in to that category in favor of an "organic" approach to teambuilding via the draft.

I was thinking recently while pondering that OKC team, Presti should have traded Westbrook. Imagine the haul. Trade him to the Knicks or something. Build around Harden and KD with Ibaka. I like that trio much better. Perhaps too much hindsight in play.

Also, Presti can only do what he does with the consent of ownership. Not every GM can do that.

They're set pretty nicely though. True star: check. True sidekicks: seems so especially if Chet fills out and stays healhty. Plus all those assets. Not bad at all.

Presti didn't believe that Harden would become an elite player and didn't want to pay him over $16 million per year.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,518

Post#1242 » by S.W.A.N » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:45 am

Psubs wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:I would wait for the Thunder to make a Conference Finals appearance before congratulating them on a successful rebuild - especially when upcoming cap decisions that'll need to be made are what led to Presti's biggest failure as a GM by breaking up the trio of Harden/Westbrook/Durant around a decade ago.

Yes, they're the 1 seed right now but as the 2018 Raptors demonstrated, that doesn't mean you're guaranteed any playoff success, and it certainly doesn't guarantee a championship. Hell, the last game was a close one against a Pelicans team that lacked Zion/had a not great Brandon Ingram game.

Yes, they have a lot of assets but while I do trust Presti more than, say, the 76ers series of blundering GMs to make use of them, the way he plans to use them as cheap depth rather than potential trade fodder to get them the final piece for a bonafide contender could backfire if they miss out on grabbing someone who could push them in to that category in favor of an "organic" approach to teambuilding via the draft.

I was thinking recently while pondering that OKC team, Presti should have traded Westbrook. Imagine the haul. Trade him to the Knicks or something. Build around Harden and KD with Ibaka. I like that trio much better. Perhaps too much hindsight in play.

Also, Presti can only do what he does with the consent of ownership. Not every GM can do that.

They're set pretty nicely though. True star: check. True sidekicks: seems so especially if Chet fills out and stays healhty. Plus all those assets. Not bad at all.

Presti didn't believe that Harden would become an elite player and didn't want to pay him over $16 million per year.

Ya no. That team got broken up because of ownership not wanting to pay the bill. Presti wanted it.
We the North
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#1243 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 am

Bruin wrote:Yikes
Read on Twitter
?s=46

I'm still high on Salaun. He just needs some really good developmental coaching. The tools and motor are all there.

As for never seeing this, Westbrick been doing it for years...

Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,207

Post#1244 » by Mark_83 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:25 pm

If I'm the Raptors Holland is the guy I want if we keep our pick and it isn't #1. He's one of the rare prospects in this draft who has both a high floor and a high ceiling. He's got the prototype physical attributes and athleticism for a wing, he's got an incredible motor on defense, and a well-rounded, albeit unrefined, offensive package.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,455

Post#1245 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:40 pm

Mark_83 wrote:If I'm the Raptors Holland is the guy I want if we keep our pick and it isn't #1. He's one of the rare prospects in this draft who has both a high floor and a high ceiling. He's got the prototype physical attributes and athleticism for a wing, he's got an incredible motor on defense, and a well-rounded, albeit unrefined, offensive package.

Yep.

Something tells me that by the time the combine rolls around and drills and all that, Holland will end up in the Top 5.

I'm hoping that isn't the case though, or that we can move up high enough in the draft to take him. He's by no means a finished product... I think he'll take a few years to come around but as you said - he's the closest thing to a complete package available at that part in the draft.

I like Dillingham as well... I think he's going to be a stud like Maxey but since we already have Quickley, it doesn't make much sense taking him. The Spurs should though, perhaps even over Topic.
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 556

Post#1246 » by grant101 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:49 pm

Read on Twitter

I hope this narrative doesn't stick, cause I'm all in on Watkins at 31. That said, he's criminally underrated (not even on the tankathon mock). Every team in the league could use a high-motor 6'8 wing/forward with great defence, NBA athleticsim, a decent shot an ability to serve as a secondary playmker. I see a world where a good combine catapults him up draft boards ala Jalen Williams.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,620

Post#1247 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:50 pm

If we keep the pick big board:

1. Holland
2. Murray-Boyles
3. Sarr
4. Sheppard
5. Dillingham
6. McCain
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#1248 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:59 pm

grant101 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I hope this narrative doesn't stick, cause I'm all in on Watkins at 31. That said, he's criminally underrated (not even on the tankathon mock). Every team in the league could use a high-motor 6'8 wing/forward with great defence, NBA athleticsim, a decent shot an ability to serve as a secondary playmker. I see a world where a good combine catapults him up draft boards ala Jalen Williams.

I like Watkins a lot too.

If they selected him at 19 I wouldn't blink.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,582

Post#1249 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:24 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:If we keep the pick big board:

1. Holland
2. Murray-Boyles
3. Sarr
4. Sheppard
5. Dillingham
6. McCain

I don't think I've even seen Murray-Boyles name before and you have him 2nd. Why am I out the loop lol

In Raptor Ball I Trust
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,541

Post#1250 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:51 pm

At 19 they are going to take a need/talented player. Carter likely not there but if he is they taking him
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,541

Post#1251 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:52 pm

Read on Twitter
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,706

Post#1252 » by Yallbecrazy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:08 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:

1. Holland
2. Murray-Boyles
3. Sarr
4. Sheppard
5. Dillingham
6. McCain

I don't think I've even seen Murray-Boyles name before and you have him 2nd. Why am I out the loop lol

I got him #1, but there's a good chance he returns to school so people aren't talking about him a lot as they don't want to hype a guy who goes back.

He seems to be very good to elite at everything for a wing except outside shooting where he's pretty bad. He played a lot of PF and C as an undersized 6'7 guy who ended up posting excellent assist numbers, low turnovers, very good rebounding numbers, and excellent rim and post shot fg%, as well as drawing a lot of fouls, but only shooting 65% from the line. Also a lot of steals and blocks and projects as both a good team and individual defender who can guard a lot of positions.
Some see him as an undersized big, but as one of the youngest players in the draft (if he enters) with an advanced feel for the game I hope he can develop his shot(form looks fine) and then you have a potential superstar on your hands.

He went 1/8 on jump shots the whole season including 0/5 from 3, so if the shot doesn't come around you have to wonder how he fits. Perhaps a better passing and defending Rondae Hollis Jefferson.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#1253 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:39 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

"I am an energizer for my team," Salaun said. "I always give 100 percent, bringing a lot of intensity and hustle. There is a fire in me that pushes me to be my best on every play."

Salaun comes from a basketball family. His sister, Janelle, is a Euroleague and French national team player also considered one of the best defenders in Europe in her age group. Both their parents also played and were passionate about the sport, Salaun says.

"Our parents kept our feet on the ground while supporting us in everything we did", Salaun said. "I just followed [Janelle]."

Unlike other highly touted French players in this draft -- such as potential top picks Zaccharie Risacher and Alex Sarr -- Salaun was not considered a top prospect until recently, being cut from the French junior national team as a 17-year-old. He says that has been a significant motivator for him.

"I had to work and hustle for everything, Salaun said. "A lot of people doubted me. Some people who didn't trust me before, I want to make them pay. I wanted to be better, so I put a lot of work into my body to be faster and stronger. I worked on my mindset and shot to be more consistent. I understood I had big potential, but I needed to be the first and the last at the gym every day."

His physical build combined with the motor and chip/edge he has, I'd roll the dice on him.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,582

Post#1254 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:40 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

1. Holland
2. Murray-Boyles
3. Sarr
4. Sheppard
5. Dillingham
6. McCain

I got him #1, but there's a good chance he returns to school so people aren't talking about him a lot as they don't want to hype a guy who goes back.

He seems to be very good to elite at everything for a wing except outside shooting where he's pretty bad. He played a lot of PF and C as an undersized 6'7 guy who ended up posting excellent assist numbers, low turnovers, very good rebounding numbers, and excellent rim and post shot fg%, as well as drawing a lot of fouls, but only shooting 65% from the line. Also a lot of steals and blocks and projects as both a good team and individual defender who can guard a lot of positions.
Some see him as an undersized big, but as one of the youngest players in the draft (if he enters) with an advanced feel for the game I hope he can develop his shot(form looks fine) and then you have a potential superstar on your hands.

He went 1/8 on jump shots the whole season including 0/5 from 3, so if the shot doesn't come around you have to wonder how he fits. Perhaps a better passing and defending Rondae Hollis Jefferson.

Checked his highlights/footage, he'll be a defensive studd. Can stay infront of anyone on the switch. Didn't see him shoot tho lol. Solid. He should go back

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,192

Post#1255 » by Tofubeque » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:38 pm

I've seen Buzelis as high as #1 and thought those mocks were crazy, but watched some of his film and wondering if we're underrating him vs Holland. Could be a legit 6'10 who plays through contact well, has midrange game, had a crazy 2.1 blocks which was 7th in the GLeague, also passed and stole a bit. I'm guessing the big knock on him is the .273 3P%, .679 FT%. "Will he learn to shoot" seems like the question with most of the lottery. He at least upped it to .769 FT in 9 GLeague Showcase games, and .603 from 2pt range, although his 3s got even worse.

If he's another player who's best going to the basket, maybe that overlaps with Scottie and RJ even more. But I like getting a big 3/4 with potential to stretch it out. Also like Salaun if he makes it to 19. Yearning for vision 6'9" again lol
props Turbozone
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#1256 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:42 pm

1. Holland
2. Murray-Boyles
3. Sarr
4. Sheppard
5. Dillingham
6. McCain

Don't know who Murray-Boyles but after a quick search, he doesn't shoot 3s so that's going to be a no for me.

My big board if we keep the pick is as follows:

1. Holland
2. Sarr
3. Dillingham
4. Williams
5. Sheppard
6. Castle

McCain should be available in the middle range of the draft, barring significant movement in draft projections due to combine, workouts, interview etc.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#1257 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:44 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:At 19 they are going to take a need/talented player. Carter likely not there but if he is they taking him

As they should. Dude is going to be a solid NBA role player at the very least.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,915

Post#1258 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:11 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:At 19 they are going to take a need/talented player. Carter likely not there but if he is they taking him

As they should. Dude is going to be a solid NBA role player at the very least.

too bad he won't be there. there's already a massive shortage of 3&D guys in this draft. I won't be surprised if Carter goes as a high as 10. his stock will probably rise a ton during the combine.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,915

Post#1259 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:13 pm

If we keep our pick:
(Assuming Sarr is off the board)

1.Holland
2.Dillingham
3.Buzelis
4.Pate

These are the only 4 guys that interest me.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,150
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#1260 » by PRESTIGE » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:28 pm

Dink Pate hasn’t been confirmed yet as far as I know.^^

Return to Toronto Raptors