ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 556

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1121 » by grant101 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:43 am

S.W.A.N wrote:
grant101 wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:So we can all agree that if we lose our pick that this is the worst Raptors season of all time, right? Like there's obviously worse record-wise, worse draft whiffs, etc., but to lose nearly 60 games and not even have a lottery pick - irrespective of the draft's strength (Remember, the Raptors got Morris "Big Shot" Peterson from the atrocious 2000 NBA draft and he was one of the better players from that class) - is an abominable outcome that makes transitioning to the Barnes era all the more difficult.

Whatever you may think of Sarr, Castle, etc., this team needs more young promising players on this roster.

Nothing will ever top the Mike James year in terms of bummer years to be a Raptors fan, but no doubt, this year blows

Damn I wasted a bunch of brain cells explaining that this wasn't worst year ever when I could've just said Mike James... Well done sir!

I bear the scars of having to watch that abomination. It would be as if we gave 2023 Spencer Dinwiddie the reigns to chuck shots night after night. Bosh was the only ray of light, and it's not as if he was all that fun to watch
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,739

Post#1122 » by BoyzNTheHood » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:35 am

S.W.A.N wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:So we can all agree that if we lose our pick that this is the worst Raptors season of all time, right? Like there's obviously worse record-wise, worse draft whiffs, etc., but to lose nearly 60 games and not even have a lottery pick - irrespective of the draft's strength (Remember, the Raptors got Morris "Big Shot" Peterson from the atrocious 2000 NBA draft and he was one of the better players from that class) - is an abominable outcome that makes transitioning to the Barnes era all the more difficult.

Whatever you may think of Sarr, Castle, etc., this team needs more young promising players on this roster.

Said this earlier and people got salty. It’s a fact. If we lose the pick this year has been an absolute dumpster fire. There were years we were expected to lose but we secured a high pick.

Nah. I'd consider that a casual fan take.

Fact is this dumpster fire of a season allowed for a lot of change to happen that will allow for a proper rebuild.
Whether we get a top 6 pick this year or have our own pick next year is of small consequence in the big picture.

The dumpster part of the season was caused by missed games due to injuries and personal issues. That is life. Now if we were Detroit or Washington bad then ya not having a draft pick would be a huge kick to the groin... I see you Brooklyn.

Taking a step back this year while adding a new coach and building around Scottie is going to pay off big time in the future. There are plenty of seasons in the past where the team just straight up sucked and that draft pick was the only sliver of hope for better days. We don't need that. We need the team to surround Scottie with the right players and I think this season was a pretty good start on that.

The depression surrounding this season began the minute we traded the pick for Jak. Then we made the play in and got cooked by a 10 year old. So why did we trade for Jak? Then we came into this year with mediocre expectations and expected to lose the pick. We started off slow and the writing was on the wall that we mishandled trading our best player. We then ended up trading him for pennies on the dollar. Luckily, we also traded our best role player for a solid package otherwise this season would look even worse. And now, one of the picks we secured for our best player ended up being tied with 4 other picks. The league did a private tie breaker and absolutely bent us over on the results. Now, all eyes point to May 12th to see if we give our pick away after finishing as the 6th worst team in the league. So essentially, this season has been a multi-year storyline building into one helluva show if we end up conveying the pick.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,103

Post#1123 » by ItsDanger » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:47 am

Well picking 19th instead of 16th certainly reduces the possibility of a few names being available now. Might negatively impact workouts also. How agents navigate the process will be telling.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,587

Post#1124 » by DG88 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:59 am

The only benefits of having a lower pick is the salary commitment that increases if our lottery pick conveys.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,971

Post#1125 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:14 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
S.W.A.N wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:Said this earlier and people got salty. It’s a fact. If we lose the pick this year has been an absolute dumpster fire. There were years we were expected to lose but we secured a high pick.

Nah. I'd consider that a casual fan take.

Fact is this dumpster fire of a season allowed for a lot of change to happen that will allow for a proper rebuild.
Whether we get a top 6 pick this year or have our own pick next year is of small consequence in the big picture.

The dumpster part of the season was caused by missed games due to injuries and personal issues. That is life. Now if we were Detroit or Washington bad then ya not having a draft pick would be a huge kick to the groin... I see you Brooklyn.

Taking a step back this year while adding a new coach and building around Scottie is going to pay off big time in the future. There are plenty of seasons in the past where the team just straight up sucked and that draft pick was the only sliver of hope for better days. We don't need that. We need the team to surround Scottie with the right players and I think this season was a pretty good start on that.

The depression surrounding this season began the minute we traded the pick for Jak. Then we made the play in and got cooked by a 10 year old. So why did we trade for Jak? Then we came into this year with mediocre expectations and expected to lose the pick. We started off slow and the writing was on the wall that we mishandled trading our best player. We then ended up trading him for pennies on the dollar. Luckily, we also traded our best role player for a solid package otherwise this season would look even worse. And now, one of the picks we secured for our best player ended up being tied with 4 other picks. The league did a private tie breaker and absolutely bent us over on the results. Now, all eyes point to May 12th to see if we give our pick away after finishing as the 6th worst team in the league. So essentially, this season has been a multi-year storyline building into one helluva show if we end up conveying the pick.

Masai only has 2 years left on his deal, which one of the owners already thinks is too expensive. He absolutely needs this pick and he needs to nail it. The next regime won't be allowed to come in and rip it up to rebuild in their image, either. It'll be like the guy the Leafs just hired, a seasoned yes man with connections to ownership there to patch up around the margins.

Especially considering the amount of money they will have to commit to Scottie by then. He'll be somewhat intractable. The only way out is if Scottie makes a leap into a top 10 player, or the Raptors deliver more stars through player development starting next season and make the leap to good team again. Since it's pretty rare to have a top 10 player (the Raptors have arguably had 2 in their existence, and one of them for one season only), the best chance at Masai remaining and this rebuild working out is if a couple of RJ, IQ, Gradey or the picks from this draft develop into stars and the Raptors start showing positive trajectory by the second half of next season.
grant101
Pro Prospect

Post#1126 » by grant101 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:35 pm

Sigh. Ok, assuming the three pgs are gone @ 19, the next batch of draftable guys for me is Furphy, Sallis, DaSilva, Holmes and Jaylon Tyson. Haven't figured out an order yet.

I'm out on Salaun, Smith, Klintman, McCullar, Kolek, Missi, Shannon Jr. and George @ 19. Don't know what to think about Edey.

I also need to watch more Bub Carrington video before I take a call. I really want to like him (big guard, young, flashes of playmaking), but pg's that never get to the basket and are only ok shooters terrify me. I get serious Tyty Washington vibes the couple of times I've seen Pitt.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,538

Post#1127 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:48 pm

WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1128 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:55 pm

Read on Twitter
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,650

Post#1129 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:03 pm

grant101 wrote:Sigh. Ok, assuming the three pgs are gone @ 19, the next batch of draftable guys for me is Furphy, Sallis, DaSilva, Holmes and Jaylon Tyson. Haven't figured out an order yet.

I'm out on Salaun, Smith, Klintman, McCullar, Kolek, Missi, Shannon Jr. and George @ 19. Don't know what to think about Edey.

I also need to watch more Bub Carrington video before I take a call. I really want to like him (big guard, young, flashes of playmaking), but pg's that never get to the basket and are only ok shooters terrify me. I get serious Tyty Washington vibes the couple of times I've seen Pitt.

Carrington takes any 3 any range but may not be the best shot selection. Being lower on the offensive ladder may reign in the shots.

I'm hoping Carrington stays in the draft with a promise of a 3 year deal at #31.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,455

Post#1130 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:14 pm

grant101 wrote:Sigh. Ok, assuming the three pgs are gone @ 19, the next batch of draftable guys for me is Furphy, Sallis, DaSilva, Holmes and Jaylon Tyson. Haven't figured out an order yet.

It sucks dropping down to 19. I have a feeling we won't get one of the three guards, which is easily our biggest need. Huge bummer.

If all of them are gone, we need to go with either Holmes or Ware.
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 463

Post#1131 » by Smalltown » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:22 pm

Assuming we don't get top 6 (I'm ambivalent).

Big man depth - Edey or Ware at 19. A swing for the fences pick at 31 - Chomche, Carrington.

I'd be happy with that.
grant101
Pro Prospect

Post#1132 » by grant101 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:34 pm

Psubs wrote:

Carrington takes any 3 any range but may not be the best shot selection. Being lower on the offensive ladder may reign in the shots.

I'm hoping Carrington stays in the draft with a promise of a 3 year deal at #31.

I'm actually not worried about his shooting. I think it improves. It's his ability to beat his defender off the dribble and get to the rim that I worry about. He seems to get very little separation and ends up settling for mid-range jumpers/floaters. Again, a lot like Tyty.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,142

Post#1133 » by billy_hoyle » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:43 pm

Let's go with unique NBA calibre strengths:
Top 6: Topic - possibly elite penetration and finishing
19: Edey - size
31: Dunn - defense

No shooting. We zagging with this draft.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,004

Post#1134 » by anotherhomer » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:50 pm

definitely if we drop to 7th and lose the pick to Spurs, this will be the biggest fumble of all time
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,269

Post#1135 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:51 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:

It sucks dropping down to 19. I have a feeling we won't get one of the three guards, which is easily our biggest need. Huge bummer.

If all of them are gone, we need to go with either Holmes or Ware.

IMO a shot blocking big and a big wing are more important than a guard for us. I am sure we can find these in the late teens/early 20s and with the 31st pick.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#1136 » by gerrit4 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:52 pm

There are three guys in the draft that I feel like are almost guaranteed to be good rotation players. That's Sheppard, Dillingham, Clingan. Everyone else has a big red flag of shooting (Sarr, Buzelis, Holland, Castle, Topic), consistency (Risacher, Williams) or age/upside (Knecht, Edey).

I'll bet that whoever from the bad shooters is impressive in workouts, will jump up the board.
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer
And1: 227

Post#1137 » by dohboy_24 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:06 pm

Reeko wrote:No, Towns was the consensus #1 that year. I remember it pretty clearly.

Unfortunately, your memory isn't as good as the historical record of the time...

NBC Sports (published May 20, 2015): Okafor at #1, Towns at #2
https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/pbts-nba-mock-draft-1-0-things-get-interesting-starting-with-new-york-at-four

theScore (published by Blake Murphy 9 years ago): Okafor at #1, Towns at #2
https://www.thescore.com/news/755428

the Score (roundtable collab mock draft): Towns at #1, DRuss at #2
https://www.thescore.com/news/783290

the Score (final mock draft by Blake Murphy): Towns at #1, Okafor at #2
https://www.thescore.com/news/784449

CBS News (published Jun 23, 2015 by Chris Emma): Towns at #1, Okafor at #2
https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/emmas-nba-mock-draft-uncertainty-awaits-after-1-2/

SLAM Magazine (published Jun 24, 2015 by Slam Staff): Towns at #1, Okafor at #2
https://www.slamonline.com/news/nba/2015-nba-mock-draft/

NBA Mock Draft (published May 20, 2015 by Sam Smith): Okafor at #1, Towns at #2
https://www.nba.com/bulls/news/samsmith/draft/sam-smiths-2015-nba-mock-draft

NBA Draft Room (unknown published date by unnamed author): Towns at #1, Okafor at #2
https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2015-nba-mock-draft/

Sports Illustrated Mock Draft (published Jun 1, 2015 by Chris Johnson and Jeremy Woo): Okafor at #1, Towns at #2
https://www.si.com/nba/2015/06/01/nba-mock-draft-jahlil-okafor-karl-anthony-towns-wolves-lakers-76ers

Liberty Ballers Mock Draft (published Jun 24, 2015): Towns at #1, DRuss at #2
https://www.libertyballers.com/2015/6/24/8836573/2015-nba-draft-big-board-prospects-mock-76ers

Bleacher Report (published Jun 25, 2015 by Jonathan Wasserman): Towns at #1, DRuss at #2
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2502980-2015-nba-mock-draft-jonathan-wassermans-final-2-round-predictions

FINAL SCORE:
Okafor at #1 = 4
Towns at #1 = 7

At this time in the draft process during the month of May in 2015 there was not yet a clear cut #1 pick.

Any consensus that might have been reached did not occur until very late in the process during the last few weeks before the draft when the rumors began to make it clear Minnesota was leaning towards Towns at #1 over Okafor and the LA Lakers were going to choose DRuss to play alongside Julius Randle, allowing Okafor to drop to Philly at #3.

Reeko wrote:In 2014, I think everyone recognized by year's end that Embiid was the best prospect but the injury concerns were very real at that point (and continued to be early on in his career). Because of that most had Wiggins going 1st. So I won't say he was the consensus pick but I would say he was heavily favored. The Wiggins hype was tremendous.

Bleacher Report (published May 20, 2014 by Jonathan Wasserman): Embiid at #1, Wiggins at #2
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2067740-2014-nba-mock-draft-post-lottery-full-2-round-projections

Bleacher Report (published Jun 23, 2014 by Jonathan Wasserman): Wiggins at #1, Parker at #2
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2099551-2014-nba-mock-draft-jonathan-wassermans-final-2-round-predictions

NBA Draft.net (published May 30, 2014 by Aran Smith): Embiid at #1, Wiggins at #2
https://www.nbadraft.net/2014-extended-mock-draft-5-0/

NBA Draft.net (published Jun 20, 2014 by Aran Smith): Wiggins at #1, Parker at #2
https://www.nbadraft.net/2014-extended-mock-draft-6-0/

USA Today (published Jun 22, 2014): Wiggins at #1 (author even says Embiid was the pick a week ago), Parker at #2
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/draft/2014/06/22/common-sense-mock-andrew-wiggins-cleveland-cavaliers/11241409/

Liberty Ballers (published Jun 22, 2014): Embiid at #1, Wiggins at #2
https://www.libertyballers.com/2014/6/22/5831910/the-lb-nba-mock-draft-the-phoenix-suns-bag-bogdan-bogdanovic-no-27

FINAL SCORE:
Embiid at #1 = 3
Wiggins at #1 = 3

Just the same as above, the consensus agreement that Wiggins was going to be the #1 pick was not made until very late in the draft process and there are many examples of Embiid being the clear-cut favorite much earlier in the process and even until just a few weeks before the rumors made the choice the Cavs were going to make much more clear.

By the middle of June this year, there could just as well be a similar consensus agreeing that Sarr is the clear-cut choice for whomever lands the #1 pick in the 2024 draft, but at this juncture in the process that still remains to be seen just the same as it were in May of 2015 when the consensus did not agree Towns was going to be the #1 pick by the T'Wolves nor in May of 2014 when the consensus did not yet agree Wiggins was going to be the #1 pick by the Cavs.
======
Raptors Tank Nation Member #11031995

DRAFT BOARD:
G: Castle, Pate, Walter, Collier, George, McCain, Carrington, Alexander
F: Buzelis, Holland, Risacher, Salaun, Flowers, Chomche, Evans Jr.
C: Clingan, Filipowski, Ware, Holmes II, Onyenso
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer

Post#1138 » by dohboy_24 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:11 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
I think Towns was consensus too. Embiid has a case in 2014.

I think it's quite telling that a number of those 'consensus' picks aren't even the best players from their draft.

Not at this time (April-May) in the draft process.

Any consensus that Towns was going to be the #1 pick by the T'Wolves was not reached until a few weeks before the draft. At this point in the draft process for the 2015 draft, Towns and Okafor were still battling for the top spot.

Same goes in 2014 with Wiggins and Embiid. It wasn't until a few weeks before the draft that it become clear Wiggins was going to be the #1 choice. At this point in the draft process for the 2014 draft, Embiid and Wiggins were still battling for the top spot.
======

DRAFT BOARD:
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer

Post#1139 » by dohboy_24 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:14 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Towns was consensus #1 without a doubt that year.

At this point in the draft process (late April-early May), Towns was not the consensus #1 pick.

While he did eventually become the clear-cut favorite for the T'Wolves to select, such an agreement was not reached until much later in the draft process than we're at for this 2024 draft class.

By the middle of June, Sarr could be just as much the consensus pick as Towns was by the middle of June in 2015 but we'll have to wait a few more weeks for that agreement to be reached.
======

DRAFT BOARD:
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1140 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:19 pm

dohboy_24 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Towns was consensus #1 without a doubt that year.

At this point in the draft process (late April-early May), Towns was not the consensus #1 pick.

While he did eventually become the clear-cut favorite for the T'Wolves to select, such an agreement was not reached until much later in the draft process than we're at for this 2024 draft class.

By the middle of June, Sarr could be just as much the consensus pick as Towns was by the middle of June in 2015 but we'll have to wait a few more weeks for that agreement to be reached.

I remember pretty strongly that after march madness tourney ended he was labeled #1 across most mocks and the consensus # 1 pick for that year. He was considered # 1 late april early may

Return to Toronto Raptors