ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,494

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1441 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:45 pm

God Squad wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:I'm almost certain we'll take Chomche with the DET pick if he happens to be there.

I just wonder if they'll love him enough where if they hear whispers someone plans to take him in the 20s, if they'll just pull the trigger on him anyways. Because personally I believe their gameplan is to grab the best PG possible with the IND pick (that's McCain if by some miracle he's still there) then use the DET for a 3rd string C.

Of course that leaves a longer wing on their list of needs & if we can't keep our pick to draft Holland or Matas then idk how we're gonna address that.

Why do you consider Mcain the "Best PG possible"? When his archetype is that of Trent Jr, Clarkson, and every other small shooter. I see very little actual "point guard" skills. I may need to dive into more film, but I've seen nothing other than age that suggests he's the best PG available.

I've been stuck on Carter vs Mcain all year, I just don't know. I've seen others mention Collier, but I'd rather have one of Carter or Mcain.

For me, it's gotta be Carter over McCain. That defense and athleticism virtually guarantees he'll be a contributor right away. He's also proven to be an exceptional rebounder and good enough shooter.

He reminds me a lot of like Derrick White or Eric Bledsoe. If you can get a guy like that at #19, that's probably the steal of the draft.

Something tells me he'll be gone by then though. I doubt he gets passed Miami at #15.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,288

Post#1442 » by God Squad » Wed May 1, 2024 1:52 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
God Squad wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:I'm almost certain we'll take Chomche with the DET pick if he happens to be there.

I just wonder if they'll love him enough where if they hear whispers someone plans to take him in the 20s, if they'll just pull the trigger on him anyways. Because personally I believe their gameplan is to grab the best PG possible with the IND pick (that's McCain if by some miracle he's still there) then use the DET for a 3rd string C.

Of course that leaves a longer wing on their list of needs & if we can't keep our pick to draft Holland or Matas then idk how we're gonna address that.

Why do you consider Mcain the "Best PG possible"? When his archetype is that of Trent Jr, Clarkson, and every other small shooter. I see very little actual "point guard" skills. I may need to dive into more film, but I've seen nothing other than age that suggests he's the best PG available.

I've been stuck on Carter vs Mcain all year, I just don't know. I've seen others mention Collier, but I'd rather have one of Carter or Mcain.

For me, it's gotta be Carter over McCain. That defense and athleticism virtually guarantees he'll be a contributor right away. He's also proven to be an exceptional rebounder and good enough shooter.

He reminds me a lot of like Derrick White or Eric Bledsoe. If you can get a guy like that at #19, that's probably the steal of the draft.

Something tells me he'll be gone by then though. I doubt he gets passed Miami at #15.

My thoughts exactly. I think he has a really good chance to stick around in this league. He's similar to how I viewed Cason last year, low bust potential. But I'm trying to understand why people think Mcain is the better prospect other than age. You're right, Carter probably won't be available at 19.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,694

Post#1443 » by Psubs » Wed May 1, 2024 2:01 pm

God Squad wrote:

I think at Miami at #15 takes Devin Carter. With his defense, I feel like he'll fit Heat Culture the best.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,288

Post#1444 » by God Squad » Wed May 1, 2024 2:07 pm

Psubs wrote:
God Squad wrote:

I think at Miami at #15 takes Devin Carter. With his defense, I feel like he'll fit Heat Culture the best.

I don't know man, McCain looks like an offense-only shooter. Hopefully, Miami takes Collier or McCain...
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,694

Post#1445 » by Psubs » Wed May 1, 2024 2:13 pm

God Squad wrote:
Psubs wrote:
God Squad wrote:Why do you consider Mcain the "Best PG possible"? When his archetype is that of Trent Jr, Clarkson, and every other small shooter. I see very little actual "point guard" skills. I may need to dive into more film, but I've seen nothing other than age that suggests he's the best PG available.

I don't know man, McCain looks like an offense-only shooter. Hopefully, Miami takes Collier or McCain...

McCain seems is like a shorter AJ Griffin but could be Ben Gordon as a ceiling.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,664

Post#1446 » by Syd-TK3 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:14 pm

Psubs wrote:Watching Brunson succeed, I'm fine with waiting until #31 to draft Carrington, Kolek, Simpson, Sears or Juan Nunez.

Nunez looks like he's lefty Dragic. Maybe he improves his shooting that looks decent? Can stash overseas for a year until McDaniels and others free up playing time.

Sears put up 50/43/85 but his A/T is slightly below 2. He would at least be able to score off the bench.

I like carrington he probably more of a combo guard but still he's only 18 with some real skill
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,789

Post#1447 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed May 1, 2024 2:19 pm

Psubs wrote:
God Squad wrote:
Psubs wrote:

McCain seems is like a shorter AJ Griffin but could be Ben Gordon as a ceiling.

Ben Gordon would go #1 in this draft
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,760

Post#1448 » by OakleyDokely » Wed May 1, 2024 2:35 pm

McCain's splits for a freshman are impressive -- 46/41/88, TS% of 61 with a usage of 21. That's usually a very good sign.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#1449 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:27 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:McCain's splits for a freshman are impressive -- 46/41/88, TS% of 61 with a usage of 21. That's usually a very good sign.

That's true and Miami needs to add some shooting. Let's hope they take McCain.

Then we'd be looking at Carter or Collier falling to us but Orlando is picking at #18. Perhaps they want to add a guard. They could be a dark horse for Carter too.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,232

Post#1450 » by niQ » Wed May 1, 2024 3:32 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:McCain's splits for a freshman are impressive -- 46/41/88, TS% of 61 with a usage of 21. That's usually a very good sign.

Then we'd be looking at Carter or Collier falling to us but Orlando is picking at #18. Perhaps they want to add a guard. They could be a dark horse for Carter too.

I was under the impression Orlando has too many guards now... Fultz, Anthony, Suggs, Black.
Unless they are losing some this summer.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#1451 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:37 pm

niQ wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:

I was under the impression Orlando has too many guards now... Fultz, Anthony, Suggs, Black.

That's true too. Maybe they go with Tyler Smith if he's still there or trade the pick for some veteran? They're losing Fultz and Harris as FAs but they still have Suggs, Black and Anthony under contract. Perhaps they throw an offer at Tyus Jones this offseason?
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#1452 » by OakleyDokely » Wed May 1, 2024 3:41 pm

niQ wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:

None of them can create offense and/or shoot it consistently though.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,232

Post#1453 » by niQ » Wed May 1, 2024 3:49 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
niQ wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:

True. I just find it funny they've drafted a point guard in 3 of the past 4 drafts and also went and got Fultz.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#1454 » by OakleyDokely » Wed May 1, 2024 3:52 pm

niQ wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
niQ wrote:

True. I just find it funny they've drafted a point guard in 3 of the past 4 drafts and also went and got Fultz.

Other than Paolo, the whole team struggles to create offense. They really need a dynamic shot creator.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#1455 » by OakleyDokely » Wed May 1, 2024 5:22 pm

Junior Season:
Jaylon Tyson (6'7): 34.3 MIN, 19.6 PPG, 6.8 REB, 3.5 AST, 1.2 STL, 0.5 BLK, .465 FG, .360 3PT, .796 FT, .557 TS, 30.1 USG, 6.8 BPM

His rebounding, assist and steal totals standout positively. His %s are solid as well, especially for someone with such a high usage level. Turnovers are high, but he had the ball so much.

Think he'd be a nice option at 19 or 31.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,689

Post#1456 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 1, 2024 5:50 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Junior Season:
Jaylon Tyson (6'7): 34.3 MIN, 19.6 PPG, 6.8 REB, 3.5 AST, 1.2 STL, 0.5 BLK, .465 FG, .360 3PT, .796 FT, .557 TS, 30.1 USG, 6.8 BPM

His rebounding, assist and steal totals standout positively. His %s are solid as well, especially for someone with such a high usage level. Turnovers are high, but he had the ball so much.

Tyson can play flat out. He won't be there at 31 though IMO
MainEvent
Veteran
And1: 2,339

Post#1457 » by MainEvent » Wed May 1, 2024 6:22 pm

These guys who watched the nike hoop summit practices and game don't sound too impressed with what they saw from Chomche
@9min
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer
And1: 234

Post#1458 » by dohboy_24 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:52 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
niQ wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

Other than Paolo, the whole team struggles to create offense. They really need a dynamic shot creator.

In the range of their pick at #18, any one of following could ultimately become a second or third option behind Paolo while those highlighted in bolded could add a dynamic shot creator should Jalen Suggs or Franz Wagner fail to add those elements to their game:

WINGS:
Ja'Kobe Walter
Dalton Knecht
Terrence Shannon Jr.

GUARDS:
Isaiah Collier
Jared McCain
Devin Carter

FORWARDS:
Tidjane Salaun
Tyler Smith

Given those options I could see the Magic preferring Knecht-Walter-Collier-McCain-Salaun in that order, but I think they should be able to get at least one of them depending on whose still available when they pick.
======
Raptors Tank Nation Member #11031995

DRAFT BOARD:
G: Carrington, McCain, Walter, Carter, Furphy, Alexander, Simpson, Kolek
F: Salaun, Flowers, Smith, Chomche, Evans Jr.
C: Missi, Filipowski, Ware, Holmes II, Onyenso
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,738

Post#1459 » by Ell Curry » Wed May 1, 2024 7:39 pm

God Squad wrote:

I'm not making a statement based on his actual game, but McCain was on a team with at least one PG in Roach and really 2 in Proctor, so it's conceivable he could look like a passable PG like Quickley, in time. Low turnover rate really the only sign to point to, but he wouldn't be the first NBA PG who had to play 2 guard in college and turned out to be about average as a distributor.
Where's the D?
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Post#1460 » by Dalek » Wed May 1, 2024 7:58 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Junior Season:

Tyson is probably my top pick at 19. Like a lot of college stars he had the ball in his hands way more than an NBA role, but you watch the film he plays really smart offball cutting and relocating for shots.

He is also a player who love hitting guys, screening, drawing fouls or rebounding. I also think he brings leadership like a Lowry does on court.

The three level scoring will translate and the fact he is 6'7 makes him a plug and play guy.

Return to Toronto Raptors