ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Wizards have a superior tank

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 224

Re: PG: Wizards have a superior tank 

Post#61 » by RoteSchroder » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:20 pm

Scase wrote:PPG matching Jimmy means absolutely nothing, Jimmy is a different tier of player and is a true #1 option. He has always turned it up when needed, but I wouldn't compare them either. Bam is a much better comparison, and honestly if you were to replace Bam with RJ, they definitely do not have the same level of success. Bam is way more efficient and puts up better numbers overall while playing WAY better defence.

The wagner comparison is also not a bad one, but again, that team is where they are because of defence, you replace him with RJ and they don't do as well. Same thing with Cleveland.

You can live with a sub-optimal 2nd option if you have really good defence to back it up, and even then, I don't see ORL getting too far unless Paolo takes another step. CLE has pretty much already shown to not be working out considering Mitchell is looking to get out.

I'm not saying a team will be bad with RJ as a second option, but rather it dramatically limits their ceiling, 1st/2nd round exit at best. Unless your first option is top tier, you can't have "ok" second options. And as much as I love Scottie, I don't see him being a top tier offensive option.

This is why I see RJ as a stop gap until something better comes along, no hate on him, it's just a limitation as a player. I would happily be proven wrong and see him pull out a 3pt shot and/or a real solid middy in the next year or two, I just think that is an unrealistic expectation.

A lot of Butler's value is in his defense as a two-way player. And he also brings it in the playoffs, although he's had quite a few poor offensive series. Ideally, he's a #2 on O, not a true #1. But I wasn't arguing for RJ to usurp Butler in the pecking order as a #1 anyways.

In this situation, we're adding RJ to Miami, not replacing Bam. And Bam is supposed to be more efficient, he's a big man and he gets a lot of shots in the paint created for him. His efficiency has been fairly average this season (57.4 TS%). Barrett's 61 TS% on the Raps, though we're assuming he can keep this up.

Again, adding RJ to Orlando, not replacing Wagner.

Essentially the point is that there is no clear cut #2 or #3. If you have 3 decent scorers + defense + good role players, your team can still have top 5 seed potential in the league. Butler/RJ/Bam, Banchero/Wagner/RJ, RJ/Mitchell/Garland. These teams all are capable of adding RJ by swapping out bad contracts or capspace without giving up much on the court and they all get better (again assuming RJ doesn't revert to taking bad shots).

Having RJ on your team doesn't limit your ceiling. Poor management of contract sizes will limit it. If you give borderline stars or high level role players $40+ M each, that's gonna seriously hamper your ceiling, which is where we were heading with FVV/Siakam/OG.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,893

Post#62 » by fbalmeida » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:50 pm

Wizards are so bad it's almost impressive.

Liked Quickley's command of the game. He's gotta do that against bigger fish though.

Hope we don't get too carried away with the late season wins now. Eyes on the prize.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
RealGM
And1: 66,562

Post#63 » by 720 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:14 pm

Of course it’s cloudy the day this solar eclipse **** is supposed to happen. :banghead:
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,457

Post#64 » by Lateral Quicks » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:30 pm

It's been an impressive tank, but it's hard to lose games with IQ and RJ back playing.

With a healthy roster next year, this is likely a play-in team. If Masai can add a nice pick and possibly a quality free agent in the off-season, the future is looking decent.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
RealGM

Post#65 » by 720 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:40 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:It's been an impressive tank, but it's hard to lose games with IQ and RJ back playing.

With a healthy roster next year, this is likely a play-in team. If Masai can add a nice pick and possibly a quality free agent in the off-season, the future is looking decent.

Build up RJ’s value and trade him for assets. Unless he improves his defense and or becomes an elite three point shooter at volume, I don’t see him meshing well with Scottie tbh without those two things happening at some level. His shooting has been good though since getting here. Just grow on it.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,042

Post#66 » by Duffman100 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:44 pm

720 wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:It's been an impressive tank, but it's hard to lose games with IQ and RJ back playing.

Build up RJ’s value and trade him for assets. Unless he improves his defense and or becomes an elite three point shooter at volume, I don’t see him meshing well with Scottie tbh without those two things happening at some level. His shooting has been good though since getting here. Just grow on it.

I like him for his potential Derozan ability to help get us to a 45-50 win team while taking a large chunk of offensive load.

Agreed as I dont' see him as a player on a title contender. But I like having him for a few years help getting this team back to a winning state.
RealGM

Post#67 » by 720 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:48 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
720 wrote:

I like him for his potential Derozan ability to help get us to a 45-50 win team while taking a large chunk of offensive load.

Agreed as I dont' see him as a player on a title contender. But I like having him for a few years help getting this team back to a winning state.

I love how consistently he attacks the basket. His drives to the basket are genuinely fun to watch, he’s like a video game character. Which is why if he ever became a consistent outside or midrange threat he could take that next level.

I was listening to Paul Pierce’s podcast a couple days ago and he talked about RJ. Said he feels like if he could train RJ he could get him to that next level. I hope RJ hears about it and reaches out.
deck
Sixth Man
And1: 1,104

Post#68 » by deck » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:14 pm

Scase wrote:
deck wrote:
Scase wrote:Right. So you have no argument. Got it.

I only stated that RJ had a good game and effected the outcome in several different ways. This was in response to you calling out another poster saying this wasn't a good game to complement RJ. You retorted by pointing to his shot chat and making a non-sequitar about how easily his game will be shut down in the playoffs.

It is you that have failed to make a meaningful argument and while doing so clearly demonstrated that you didn't even watch the game.

I pointed out how his game is clearly limited and easy to shut down, which is WHY he is likely not a long term keeper on this team. I suggested this game was a bad one to make the statement after as it wasn't a great game, rather just an alright game.

He put up inefficient numbers, all his made shots came from the same place on the court, and he turned it over 6 times. It is not a non-sequitur because you don't understand the very basic connection.

People say he's not in the long term plans because his game is very limited.
A statement is made of when will people stop saying that.
It is posted after a game where he plays alright, and his entire game is the usual limited offence.
So I say this is not the best game to make the statement.

It's pretty damn straight forward.

Not understanding the connection doesn't make it a non-sequitur.

He didn't have a limited game is the point. Your entire statement is based solely on his offensive output and how he scored his points. He did a lot of things that contributed to winning, and also helped IQ have a good game. You pointing out his shot chart and his TS seems like evidence that you didn't actually watch the game, and as such, likely should not have been commenting.

Further, having a slashing guard that gets to the rim while also shooting a decent 3pt percentage isn't a liability in the playoffs. This is a non-secuitar because the conclusion you are making doesn't follow from the statement you are making. Pretty damn straight forward.
DemHeavyHands
Sixth Man
And1: 2,737

Post#69 » by DemHeavyHands » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:52 pm

Scottie and Yak listed as game time decisions for tmr?? :o

Honestly, makes sense. Let’s try to give the pacers as many Ls as possible lol
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#70 » by Dalek » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:16 pm

The Wizards without Tyus Jones and Kuzma are a really bad team. Surprised the Raptors didn't blow them out. The team had no NBA caliber C or PG playing. Pretty much a free run to the rim

Love the stat padding from IQ and Barrett but Raps giving up 122 and only winning by 8 is a bit unsettling.

Interesting to see Tristan Vuckevic playing. I was really high on him last draft and still think he has intriguing stretch C capabilities. Only 21, and I think he has some grit to his game.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,270

Post#71 » by Chandan » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:26 pm

who just saw the eclipse? It was pretty cool. didn't even need glasses because the clouds were just enough to make it harmless. near the tail end there were two suns in the sky due to some reflection shenanigans.
RealGM

Post#72 » by 720 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:39 pm

Chandan wrote:who just saw the eclipse? It was pretty cool. didn't even need glasses because the clouds were just enough to make it harmless. near the tail end there were two suns in the sky side

Yeah I caught it. Thankfully the clouds started dispersing.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,559

Post#73 » by Scase » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:44 pm

RoteSchroder wrote:
Scase wrote:PPG matching Jimmy means absolutely nothing, Jimmy is a different tier of player and is a true #1 option. He has always turned it up when needed, but I wouldn't compare them either. Bam is a much better comparison, and honestly if you were to replace Bam with RJ, they definitely do not have the same level of success. Bam is way more efficient and puts up better numbers overall while playing WAY better defence.

The wagner comparison is also not a bad one, but again, that team is where they are because of defence, you replace him with RJ and they don't do as well. Same thing with Cleveland.

You can live with a sub-optimal 2nd option if you have really good defence to back it up, and even then, I don't see ORL getting too far unless Paolo takes another step. CLE has pretty much already shown to not be working out considering Mitchell is looking to get out.

I'm not saying a team will be bad with RJ as a second option, but rather it dramatically limits their ceiling, 1st/2nd round exit at best. Unless your first option is top tier, you can't have "ok" second options. And as much as I love Scottie, I don't see him being a top tier offensive option.

This is why I see RJ as a stop gap until something better comes along, no hate on him, it's just a limitation as a player. I would happily be proven wrong and see him pull out a 3pt shot and/or a real solid middy in the next year or two, I just think that is an unrealistic expectation.

A lot of Butler's value is in his defense as a two-way player. And he also brings it in the playoffs, although he's had quite a few poor offensive series. Ideally, he's a #2 on O, not a true #1. But I wasn't arguing for RJ to usurp Butler in the pecking order as a #1 anyways.

In this situation, we're adding RJ to Miami, not replacing Bam. And Bam is supposed to be more efficient, he's a big man and he gets a lot of shots in the paint created for him. His efficiency has been fairly average this season (57.4 TS%). Barrett's 61 TS% on the Raps, though we're assuming he can keep this up.

Again, adding RJ to Orlando, not replacing Wagner.

Essentially the point is that there is no clear cut #2 or #3. If you have 3 decent scorers + defense + good role players, your team can still have top 5 seed potential in the league. Butler/RJ/Bam, Banchero/Wagner/RJ, RJ/Mitchell/Garland. These teams all are capable of adding RJ by swapping out bad contracts or capspace without giving up much on the court and they all get better (again assuming RJ doesn't revert to taking bad shots).

Having RJ on your team doesn't limit your ceiling. Poor management of contract sizes will limit it. If you give borderline stars or high level role players $40+ M each, that's gonna seriously hamper your ceiling, which is where we were heading with FVV/Siakam/OG.

Ah my bad, I thought you meant replacing them.

As for the cap space comment, I fully agree. RJ on his current contract and assuming he keeps his Raptors level of efficiency up, I have zero problems with. But if he slips back towards his Knicks performance, or eats up too many offensive possessions, then it's a much bigger problem.

I would rather see RJ as the 3rd option, with IQ taking 2nd option positioning. He has a much deeper bag, and fills a better role on the team. I still don't see a (realistic) world where RJ is a key part of a championship calibre team.
Props TZ!
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,793
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#74 » by Boogie! » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:05 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
720 wrote:

I don’t see Barnes as a go to scorer… I think Barnes as a jack of all trades type with an improved 3 pointer is the best role for him… meaning rj can be more of that iso scorer type player with Barnes being the spacer around him… I’m not sure why people still don’t see rjs potential… he went number 3 for a reason… ppl were also sayi no he was inefficient and had tunnel vision and since he’s been here he’s been super efficient and his passing has been great… I think he could at least be as good as demar was for us, more efficient and with better shooting… I think he can take the scoring load off of Barnes which makes Barnes more useful as the utility guy
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Scase
RealGM

Post#75 » by Scase » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:08 pm

deck wrote:
Scase wrote:
deck wrote:
I only stated that RJ had a good game and effected the outcome in several different ways. This was in response to you calling out another poster saying this wasn't a good game to complement RJ. You retorted by pointing to his shot chat and making a non-sequitar about how easily his game will be shut down in the playoffs.

It is you that have failed to make a meaningful argument and while doing so clearly demonstrated that you didn't even watch the game.

I pointed out how his game is clearly limited and easy to shut down, which is WHY he is likely not a long term keeper on this team. I suggested this game was a bad one to make the statement after as it wasn't a great game, rather just an alright game.

He put up inefficient numbers, all his made shots came from the same place on the court, and he turned it over 6 times. It is not a non-sequitur because you don't understand the very basic connection.

People say he's not in the long term plans because his game is very limited.
A statement is made of when will people stop saying that.
It is posted after a game where he plays alright, and his entire game is the usual limited offence.
So I say this is not the best game to make the statement.

It's pretty damn straight forward.

Not understanding the connection doesn't make it a non-sequitur.

He didn't have a limited game is the point. Your entire statement is based solely on his offensive output and how he scored his points. He did a lot of things that contributed to winning, and also helped IQ have a good game. You pointing out his shot chart and his TS seems like evidence that you didn't actually watch the game, and as such, likely should not have been commenting.

Further, having a slashing guard that gets to the rim while also shooting a decent 3pt percentage isn't a liability in the playoffs. This is a non-secuitar because the conclusion you are making doesn't follow from the statement you are making. Pretty damn straight forward.

You don't seem to understand there is a large difference between staring at a shot chart, and watching every single play right? All of his points save for 1 turn around fadeway jumper were the same layup/drive that he always does. All his assists aside from 2, were basic passes that only became assists because of the other player, not because he was some amazing playmaker. I mean you're talking to me like I haven't watched the game, meanwhile you're just spouting off stuff like "He did a lot of things that contributed to winning". Cool, so did every other player on the court.

Want to talk about ACTUALLY watching the game, sure.

This assist was made because of Olynyk setting a screen, not because of the basic pass thrown.
This assist was him actually MISSING the first easier pass, to then make a more difficult one.
This was a good pass to Gradey.
This was a good pass to Olynyk.
This was IQ bailing him out from a bad drive.
This was a basic pass literally any NBA player can make.
Same with this one, and extra easy since the wiz are horrible on defence.

We don't need to pretend like the guy is some playmaking savant, he has been making incredibly basic passes, and that's fine, I'm not dumping on him for that. But you're making it out to sound like he had some great game.

4 of his 6 TOs were stolen from bad passes because he always drives himself into trouble and thinks he can bail himself out, the other 2 were from him again, driving into trouble and throwing it out of bounds, then driving into THREE players and getting called for an offensive foul.

But as I have mentioned MANY times now, his limited offence leads to this. He scored inefficiently, he missed his last 6 shots in a row, and his misses comprised of 2 wide open 3's which are fine as they weren't bad shots. But the other 8 shots were 1 terrible pull up 3 from 31 ft out, and 7 bad drives into defenders.

His turnovers and his misses are virtually all derived from his limited game of just put his shoulder down, drive to the net, and hope **** works out. His points are the exact same situations as well, he is not a bad player. As I have repeated, he is a limited offensive player. He lacks variety in his game, I don't even understand how this is a discussion, it is a blatant fact.
Props TZ!
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,885

Post#76 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:14 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
720 wrote:

RJ has his flaws but I’m not writing off a 23 year old with the desire to improve. I think the DeRozan comparison for him is a good one, but big difference is RJ can actually hit a 3 - he’s been inconsistent from season to season.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:15 pm

DemHeavyHands wrote:Scottie and Yak listed as game time decisions for tmr?? :o

Sweet
Scase
RealGM

Post#78 » by Scase » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:47 pm

I couldn't find this anywhere, where'd you see it?
Props TZ!
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:22 pm

Scase wrote:

I couldn't find this anywhere, where'd you see it?

Yeah I took poster at word. I can’t find it anywhere. I think they forgot the green font.

ESPN injury report:

Toronto Raptors Injuries

Apr 8
Scottie Barnes
Scottie Barnes
SF
Status
Out
Barnes was spotted getting shots up during Monday's practice with a brace on his surgically repaired left hand, Aaron Rose of SI.com reports.
Jakob Poeltl
Jakob Poeltl
C
Status
Out
Poeltl (finger) participated in parts of Monday's practice but was limited to using only his right hand, Raptors reporter Aaron Rose reports.

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/injuries/_/name/tor/toronto-raptors
Nebuchadnezzar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,885

Post#80 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:32 pm

720 wrote:

I've found him to be a perfect compliment to Scottie, because he can get to the basket and attack in a way the Scottie doesn't.

Return to Toronto Raptors