ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: There is a Game Today - Raps@Nets 7:30 EST

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Re: GT: There is a Game Today - Raps@Nets 7:30 EST 

Post#221 » by Dalek » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:09 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:
causal_fan wrote:Many posters say RJ is best as a 2 rather than 3 and of course many want to see Gradey be the starter next year. So what's your view - Both starting with RJ as a 3 or one of them coming off the bench. I know it probably depends on whom the raptors add at small forward.

GD doesn't have to start, there's still plenty of opportunity for him.

Gradey is probably a good floor spacer but as a starter he will get targetted on defense. He does not know where to be on rotations and his position on drives makes him prone to blow-bys.

RJ is a great 2 and Scottie a 3. This team needs a PF type that replaces everything missing from Siakam and OG. Either through draft or FA they need a guy who can shoot and defend.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,143

Post#222 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:12 am

The most help Schroder was to the raptors all season.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,722

Post#223 » by C_Money » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:14 am

Scottie, RJ , and Poeltl all in the starting lineup means we need somebody that can shoot lights out from 3. And thats why I have no problem bringing Gary back.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,328

Post#224 » by brownbobcat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:20 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
sbsat wrote:
If the we had orlandos roster everyone would be on here b.itching about how low our ceiling is. It's the truth im sorry. We had their record two years ago and track the sentiment on here back then

Dude, they will be one of the youngest teams in the playoffs with control of all of their draft picks. Fred/Siakam/Poeltl are already in the primes so there's a massive difference.

You guys underrate the value of defense. For a young team to be so elite at that end is amazing. Now I don't think they have OKCs type ceiling but that doesn't mean their young guys can't keep taking steps forward.

I’m not underrating their D

As currently constructed I don’t see them going anywhere.

But they do have a lot of flexibility.

They need to make some changes sooner than later imo, luckily they have the means to do it.

All of that is a reasonable observation and Orlando isn't OKC, but you can't praise Toronto's potential at the same time. Maybe Banchero ain't it, but he has shown every bit the potential Barnes did at the same age. Wagner is younger than Barnes and he's plateaued? Absurd.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,147

Post#225 » by DelAbbot » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:20 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:Here’s my hot take

I’d take Raptors current situation over Orlando

They will cap out at mid

Ridiculous comment lol. We are hoping to get to Orlando's level while they're just as young as us. There are 2 sides to a basketball court so just looking at offensive stats means very little here.

DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,147

Post#226 » by DelAbbot » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:23 am

bballsparkin wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:Here’s my hot take

I’d take Raptors current situation over Orlando

They will cap out at mid

That's quiet the hot take well done! I like Franz game though so not sure I agree.

you are so polite
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 224

Post#227 » by RoteSchroder » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:26 am

Dalek wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
causal_fan wrote:Many posters say RJ is best as a 2 rather than 3 and of course many want to see Gradey be the starter next year. So what's your view - Both starting with RJ as a 3 or one of them coming off the bench. I know it probably depends on whom the raptors add at small forward.

Gradey is probably a good floor spacer but as a starter he will get targetted on defense. He does not know where to be on rotations and his position on drives makes him prone to blow-bys.

RJ is a great 2 and Scottie a 3. This team needs a PF type that replaces everything missing from Siakam and OG. Either through draft or FA they need a guy who can shoot and defend.

I think Scottie's better as a 4. His foot speed is a bit lacking and there's more opportunity as a help defender as a 4. I'd rather add a back-up PF + a defensive two-way wing who can eventually start

e.g. if Holland/Castle reach their potential, they could fit into the SL. Both can probably guard the 1-3, although Castle's more undersized, he's stronger than Holland. Holland's high motor and athleticism is also interesting.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,559

Post#228 » by Scase » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:37 am

Dalek wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

Scottie is a 4, through and through.

And if we had a PF type that "replaces everything missing from Siakam and OG", he would be a perennial MVP. While we're at it, all this team needs now is a Michael Jordan type SG :lol:
Props TZ!
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,171

Post#229 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:38 am

Dalek wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

If Gradey gets MUCH stronger, he can handle defending 3s. I don't like seeing him ever defending guards. But that amount of strength is years away. If the play-in is the goal next season, Gradey comes off the bench.

So we need a starting 3. That's not Ochai. As noted above, Scottie is better as a 4. I want to be like UConn - bigger than every team at each position.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,544

Post#230 » by bballsparkin » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:46 am

Dick's gonna need to bulk up for that to happen. Some Rocky level stuff.

But I do like their games together. Defence permitting.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#231 » by CazOnReal » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:52 am

bballsparkin wrote:

Dick's gonna need to bulk up for that to happen. Some Rocky level stuff.

But I do like their games together. Defence permitting.

Dick gotta get..girthy
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,362

Post#232 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:00 am

C_Money wrote:Scottie, RJ , and Poeltl all in the starting lineup means we need somebody that can shoot lights out from 3. And thats why I have no problem bringing Gary back.

But the problem is that we'd be absolutely horrible defensively, which we were when everyone was healthy. This team needs a OG like player in the starting lineup basically lol.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,559

Post#233 » by Scase » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
C_Money wrote:Scottie, RJ , and Poeltl all in the starting lineup means we need somebody that can shoot lights out from 3. And thats why I have no problem bringing Gary back.

But the problem is that we'd be absolutely horrible defensively, which we were when everyone was healthy. This team needs a OG like player in the starting lineup basically lol.

Also Gary only shoots lights out like 30 games a season lol. We don't need GTJ, we need someone who isn't a massive negative on defence, and can reliably hit a 3. Which is what Ochai was supposed to be, but he's been mediocre at best.
Props TZ!
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,082

Post#234 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:11 am

Dalek wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

Replacing Pascal's and OGs skills in the body of one player, that's going to be a very expensive player. And hard to find.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,225

Post#235 » by HumbleRen » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:35 am

Scase wrote:
Dalek wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

And if we had a PF type that "replaces everything missing from Siakam and OG", he would be a perennial MVP. While we're at it, all this team needs now is a Michael Jordan type SG :lol:

Shocked that people think Scottie is a 3 lol.

The ideal situation would be for Scottie to be a 4 so he can provide elite help side defence not be stuck on wings.

RJ to be a 6th man or guard 2’s as the SG. We’ll never be a great defensive team if RJ is the 3.
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer
And1: 242

Post#236 » by dohboy_24 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:38 am

Dennis pulls out the win for coach!
DRAFT BOARD:

G: Ja'Kobe Walter, Bub Carrington, AJ Johnson, Trey Alexander, Cam Christie
F: Tidjane Salaun, Trentyn Flowers, Kyshawn George, Michael Ajayi, Jaylen Wells
C: Kyle Filipowski, Yves Missi, Kel'el Ware, Ulrich Chomche, Adem Bona
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,328

Post#237 » by brownbobcat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:54 am

tecumseh18 wrote:If Gradey gets MUCH stronger, he can handle defending 3s. I don't like seeing him ever defending guards. But that amount of strength is years away. If the play-in is the goal next season, Gradey comes off the bench.

So we need a starting 3. That's not Ochai. As noted above, Scottie is better as a 4. I want to be like UConn - bigger than every team at each position.

I think Gradey is 3+ years away from being a real starter, if he ever even gets there. Barring a homerun pick from the draft, that means this team is going to use bandaid fixes for the next little while moving guys around.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,722

Post#238 » by C_Money » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:01 am

Tor_Raps wrote:

We were terrible defensively with OG this very season. I’m a big believer that defence comes down to the coaches schemes and players that actually want to give effort on that end.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,362

Post#239 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:35 am

C_Money wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

We were terrible defensively with OG this very season. I’m a big believer that defence comes down to the coaches schemes and players that actually want to give effort on that end.

For sure that is a very important part and I'm not a fan of Darko, I was just speaking from a roster construction standpoint. We def need shooting and a point of attack defender in one player to be our 5th starter.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#240 » by Dalek » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:11 am

HumbleRen wrote:
Scase wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Shocked that people think Scottie is a 3 lol.

The ideal situation would be for Scottie to be a 4 so he can provide elite help side defence not be stuck on wings.

RJ to be a 6th man or guard 2’s as the SG. We’ll never be a great defensive team if RJ is the 3.

I don't think Scottie wants to be a four man. Maybe being a freeroamer on defense is four-like but on offense he wants to be an elite player and the best position for him to be elite is the three. He is building his handle and shot creation to be a big wing not a guy who sits in the post.

No Siakam, OG or even Precious has shown how we lost frontcourt support. You guys would think the constant beatdowns in points in the paint would illustrate the gaps we have.

Return to Toronto Raptors