ImageImageImageImageImage

Where would you slot Dick into the 2024 NBA draft?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,361

Re: Where would you slot Dick into the 2024 NBA draft? 

Post#21 » by JB7 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:15 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Indeed wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Not convinced GMs take George, JJJ, or Whitmore over Dick. George has been meh he just has been given usage, JJJ is older and at his ceiling, and Whitmore has 28 assists in his career (with 8 being in the last 2 games).

On the flip side, Scoot, Amen, Ausar, and Bilal are all just "potential" picks but they really haven't been that good or proven they are regular NBA players yet. You still take them over Dick now, but I think in 5 years at least 2 of those guys are viewed as colossal busts.

Interesting that you think Dick is a better player or with equivalent potential. I think he is just at most at the same level with those you mentioned.
Meanwhile, the ones that I ranked was reading a few websites

I think Dick has the best NBA skill - and that is shooting. Ausar/Amen are great defenders so that would be close to but their shooting is just so bad that they could end up unplayable.

Reality is they all have question marks.

Scoot has been downright dreadful.

Aside from Wemby and Miller, I don’t think at this point there are any of the other draft picks that are clearly more impactful than Dick.

If one of the Thompson twins learns to shoot, they would elevate to a different level,
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,765

Post#22 » by Badonkadonk » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:22 pm

JB7 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Interesting that you think Dick is a better player or with equivalent potential. I think he is just at most at the same level with those you mentioned.
Meanwhile, the ones that I ranked was reading a few websites

I think Dick has the best NBA skill - and that is shooting. Ausar/Amen are great defenders so that would be close to but their shooting is just so bad that they could end up unplayable.

Aside from Wemby and Miller, I don’t think at this point there are any of the other draft picks that are clearly more impactful than Dick.

If one of the Thompson twins learns to shoot, they would elevate to a different level,

This is close to my thinking as well.

Regarding the list on the previous page, one reason Dick went earlier than some of those other guys is he's younger (eg. Jaquez 23, Podz 21 etc.). Given what we've seen this year, you have to be optimistic about his ceiling given how much he improved with a mid-season training camp that focused on skills + physique.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,278

Post#23 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:03 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
JB7 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I think Dick has the best NBA skill - and that is shooting. Ausar/Amen are great defenders so that would be close to but their shooting is just so bad that they could end up unplayable.

This is close to my thinking as well.

Regarding the list on the previous page, one reason Dick went earlier than some of those other guys is he's younger (eg. Jaquez 23, Podz 21 etc.). Given what we've seen this year, you have to be optimistic about his ceiling given how much he improved with a mid-season training camp that focused on skills + physique.

Yea from a potential standpoint I think the 6’8 guy who can shoot at an elite level (one day) who has shown signs of playmaking and overall good instincts will have a solid career
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,372

Post#24 » by Scase » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:13 pm

wegotthabeet wrote:
Scase wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:
even though 2000 is the worst draft in the last 40 years it still produced roughly 15 solid NBA rotation players, just no real stars.

goes to show that every draft has at least 15 players that stick around for at least three contracts.

Sure would be great to walk away from a 25 win season with the absolute peak, being a Mike Miller level player lol.

I’m pretty sure they traded the pick because the draft is weak. Can’t have it both ways.

And then traded for 3 more of them. 200 IQ moves.
Props TZ!
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,765

Post#25 » by Badonkadonk » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:49 pm

Scase wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:
Scase wrote:Sure would be great to walk away from a 25 win season with the absolute peak, being a Mike Miller level player lol.

I’m pretty sure they traded the pick because the draft is weak. Can’t have it both ways.

The worst of the 1sts was subsequently traded for Olynyk and Ochai.

Will see what happens with Brown and the rest of the picks before we can judge the trade tree.

When Masai traded Greivis, we didn't know how good it would turn out for a while.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,372

Post#26 » by Scase » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:07 am

Badonkadonk wrote:
Scase wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:

The worst of the 1sts was subsequently traded for Olynyk and Ochai.

Will see what happens with Brown and the rest of the picks before we can judge the trade tree.

When Masai traded Greivis, we didn't know how good it would turn out for a while.

Except if we got even the same result as we did for Greivis as we do for Siakam, that's still a bad trade. We traded a meh player for a FRP and a SRP. We traded a VASTLY superior player in Siakam for effectively 2 FRPs, a SRP, and a bunch of useless filler. That's a pretty awful return.

The picks themselves have innate value, the player selected with them doesn't matter from a "good trade" aspect. I've made this argument before, trade Paul George for a SRP and it's a terrible trade. Even if that SRP turns into the next MJ.

A SRP has low inherent value, picking a player (by luck or otherwise) that turns out to be good/great doesn't change that. Same goes for getting a 28th OA pick, a (likely) 17ish OA pick, and a (likely) 20ish OA 2026 pick, those are generally just not super valuable.

Greivis got us a 42nd and a 17th.
Siakam got us a 28th, a (likely) 17th, and a yet to be known, but probably 17-20+ pick. And filler.
Props TZ!
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,583

Post#27 » by bluerap23 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:23 am

DemHeavyHands wrote:I would slot Dick in the 2-hole personally

That’s how weak this draft is

Slip dick in the 2 hole. Check
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,645

Post#28 » by Syd-TK3 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:33 am

Around the same spot honestly 6-14
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,651

Post#29 » by ForeverTFC » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:13 am

Indeed wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Indeed wrote:Before the 2023 draft, I think it would be ahead of Knecht and Sheppard and Furphy, which would be 4 - 8, assume he keeps the age if draft in the 2024. Coulibaly would be top 3, Cason Wallace would be top 5.

In a re-draft, where would Dick rank on a 2023 draft? Mid-first?

Based on how everyone performed this year? Top 10. But it's too early.

Most of the people don't see him better than most of the players drafted ahead of him, while 4 more raised above him, so hard to see how he can be a top 10 in this draft.
1 Victor Wembanyama > Dick
2 Brandon Miller > Dick
3 Scoot Henderson > Dick
4 Amen Thompson > Dick
5 Ausar Thompson > Dick
6 Anthony Black
7 Bilal Coulibaly > Dick
8 Jarace Walker
9 Taylor Hendricks
10 Cason Wallace > Dick
11 Jett Howard
12 Dereck Lively II > Dick
13 Gradey Dick
14 Jordan Hawkins
15 Kobe Bufkin
16 Keyonte George > Dick
17 Jalen Hood-Schifino
18 Jaime Jaquez Jr. > Dick
19 Brandin Podziemski > Dick
20 Cam Whitmore > Dick

Wemby and Miller are obviously the prizes of the draft. Thompson Twins and Coulibaly are definitely the potential guys and then Cason is the next best in my opinion. This is my definitive top 6.

Scoot is hard for me to place but I think he still ultimately goes next. After that, you have Podz, JJJ, Whitmore, Jackson, George, Lively, and I’d still put Black in here. I would put Dick in the same category as them. I personally take Gradey above most these guys for this team but recognize others disagree. So for me it’s a top 10 but at worst it’s what, top 14?

End of the day, these guy all have holes and still need to prove themselves. Let’s take JJJ as an example. After a hot 3pt shooting start, he has gone back to what he was shooting it at UCLA, at 30%. If you ignore his hot streak, would you really draft him over Dick even if his floor looks to grade out higher? I wouldn’t.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,530

Post#30 » by Harry Palmer » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:06 pm

Love you guys, but many of you are seriously overhyping, a lot. Speaking just for my other team, Amen Thompson and Cam Whitmore are much better prospects than Dick, and it’s not close. You think Dick slid? Whitmore was top 5 most pre-draft, last minute questions about his knee lead to a steal, and Thompson is just a freak. Just look at any of the numbers.

Dick, 8.9 PER, 0.3 WS, 106 ORTg, 122 DRTg, .548 TS% in 1239 minutes.
Thompson, 17.8 PER, 4.0 WS, 117 ORtg, 109 DRtg, .570 TS% in 1348 minutes.
Whitmore, 16.5 PER, 1.4 WS, 108 ORtg, 113 DRtg, .560 TS% in 844 minutes.

Thompson is already one of the best defensive wings in the league, and he had to play way out of position due to injuries, playing 4/5 more than his natural 1/2…had literally never set a screen before this season. Cam is just a natural scorer, a potential lead guy still in his teens. Dick is imo a high level reserve/fringe starter.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,285

Post#31 » by Dalek » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:40 am

Gradey Dick's defense for the past year has been sort of like this...

Read on Twitter

If the NBA was just about shooting jumpers we would have something. Lots of work for Gradey to do with competing. Not planning on him starting anytime soon unless we are tanking again.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,532

Post#32 » by bballsparkin » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:04 am

Dalek wrote:Gradey Dick's defense for the past year has been sort of like this...

Read on Twitter

If the NBA was just about shooting jumpers we would have something. Lots of work for Gradey to do with competing. Not planning on him starting anytime soon unless we are tanking again.

lol, That's a bad look to end the season. Hopefully he has the motivation.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,886

Post#33 » by Thaddy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:12 am

He'd be ranked over Reed. He has the size, athleticism, and everything but the handles Sheppard has. I would put him in the top 5. In a redraft I'd have him top 10.
HKBOY
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,554

Post#34 » by HKBOY » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:24 am

10-12 in a redraft, top 7 pick in the upcoming draft.

Return to Toronto Raptors