ImageImageImageImageImage

Bobby Webster speaks about the core/future

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,772

Re: Bobby Webster speaks about the core/future 

Post#301 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:00 am

disoblige wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Some posters are completely irrational when it comes to that era of the Raptors for some reason.

They suck, yet we should have gotten amazing trades for them?

Probably, though other GMs were reportedly complaining that Masai was asking too much. I think he wants around three first-round picks for Siakam or OG. Other GMs hanged their phones.

Masai was looking for huge returns for OG and Siakam. He was trying to get a haul like Presti and Ainge did. That’s why other GMs constantly trashed him to media for better part of a year. Masai wasn’t willing to take what they were offering until he had no other choice with Siakam and, well, he did get a good return with OG.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,884

Post#302 » by agkagk » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:49 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:
disoblige wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Some posters are completely irrational when it comes to that era of the Raptors for some reason.

They suck, yet we should have gotten amazing trades for them?

Probably, though other GMs were reportedly complaining that Masai was asking too much. I think he wants around three first-round picks for Siakam or OG. Other GMs hanged their phones.

Masai was looking for huge returns for OG and Siakam. He was trying to get a haul like Presti and Ainge did. That’s why other GMs constantly trashed him to media for better part of a year. Masai wasn’t willing to take what they were offering until he had no other choice with Siakam and, well, he did get a good return with OG.

How many first round picks do you think barrett and quick are worth?
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,772

Post#303 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:51 am

agkagk wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
disoblige wrote:

How many first round picks do you think barrett and quick are worth?

tongue in cheek: What kind of protection on the picks are we talking? ;) :P :D Lolz
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,835

Post#304 » by Los_29 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:32 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:You think this is a gotcha moment or something? I have laid out plainly multiple times those 2 years of theirs were treadmills. You're driving this entire thing in circles because you either can't or won't read basic sentences. Indeed, we are done here.

It literally makes no sense to consider our 48 win team with a much younger core to be a treadmill while their 48 win team with a much older core somehow isn't.

Not that you need more ammo but..

2018-19 Spurs most minutes - Demar / Aldridge / Forbes / Mills / Gay / Bellinelli / White / Bertans / Poeltl / Cunningham (Murray on team - just hurt)
2019-20 Spurs most minutes - Demar / Aldridge / Murray / White / Forbes / Gay / Lyles / Poeltl / Walker

So Scase claims that they took their shot (in 2019) and then inched towards a rebuild. What team "inches" towards a rebuild by bringing back their top 5 players, 7th, and 9th most played players? That to me sounds like minimal changes.

Okay fine. Lets look at the next year

Murray / Demar / Johnson / Poeltl / Mills / Walker / Gay / White / Vassell / Eubanks

So... two years after they "started rebuilding" they still had Demar, Poeltl, Mills, Gay (and Aldridge who would be top 10 but got hurt).

AND THEN - the next year they brough in Josh Richardson (28 years old), Doug McDermott (30 years old), Thad Young (33 years old), etc.

So man... Scase is just so far off base here.

the only players still on our team from 24 months ago is GTJ, Boucher, and Barnes. But SOMEHOW, we took forever to decide to rebuild and the Spurs did it immediately - am i right?

Edit - some people on this board just dont understand that no one (and i mean NO ONE) blows up a team like we had in 2022 coming off of 48 wins. Unless you get a godfather offer like OKC did for PG13, or Ainge did in UTA/BOS, you simply dont go trading away 26 year old guys who are about to be in their prime.

That team had 5 very solid players on their roster in FVV/GTJ/OG/Siakam/Barnes. A team that ended the season going 34-17 with no depth and no center. Pretty much any FO is going to try and make it work when you have a run like that when your oldest core member is 27 years old.

And it was very reasonable to think that a 20 year old ROTY would continue getting better as well. So you have three guys entering their primes and then a ROTY in Scottie who would only continue to get better. The Spurs didn't have any good young pieces and STILL brought back that same team.

Ainge also blew that team up because that team had ran its course. Gobert and Mitchell didn't like each other, chemistry was really bad and they were consistently coming up short in the playoffs.

Presti did the same after many years running with a flawed core that failed year after year.

You'd find that we actually chose to rebuild far quicker than the Magic, Thunder, Spurs etc.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#305 » by Scase » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:15 am

Los_29 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
It literally makes no sense to consider our 48 win team with a much younger core to be a treadmill while their 48 win team with a much older core somehow isn't.

Not that you need more ammo but..

2018-19 Spurs most minutes - Demar / Aldridge / Forbes / Mills / Gay / Bellinelli / White / Bertans / Poeltl / Cunningham (Murray on team - just hurt)
2019-20 Spurs most minutes - Demar / Aldridge / Murray / White / Forbes / Gay / Lyles / Poeltl / Walker

So Scase claims that they took their shot (in 2019) and then inched towards a rebuild. What team "inches" towards a rebuild by bringing back their top 5 players, 7th, and 9th most played players? That to me sounds like minimal changes.

Murray / Demar / Johnson / Poeltl / Mills / Walker / Gay / White / Vassell / Eubanks

So... two years after they "started rebuilding" they still had Demar, Poeltl, Mills, Gay (and Aldridge who would be top 10 but got hurt).

AND THEN - the next year they brough in Josh Richardson (28 years old), Doug McDermott (30 years old), Thad Young (33 years old), etc.

the only players still on our team from 24 months ago is GTJ, Boucher, and Barnes. But SOMEHOW, we took forever to decide to rebuild and the Spurs did it immediately - am i right?

Edit - some people on this board just dont understand that no one (and i mean NO ONE) blows up a team like we had in 2022 coming off of 48 wins. Unless you get a godfather offer like OKC did for PG13, or Ainge did in UTA/BOS, you simply dont go trading away 26 year old guys who are about to be in their prime.

That team had 5 very solid players on their roster in FVV/GTJ/OG/Siakam/Barnes. A team that ended the season going 34-17 with no depth and no center. Pretty much any FO is going to try and make it work when you have a run like that when your oldest core member is 27 years old.

And it was very reasonable to think that a 20 year old ROTY would continue getting better as well. So you have three guys entering their primes and then a ROTY in Scottie who would only continue to get better. The Spurs didn't have any good young pieces and STILL brought back that same team.

Ainge also blew that team up because that team had ran its course. Gobert and Mitchell didn't like each other, chemistry was really bad and they were consistently coming up short in the playoffs.

Presti did the same after many years running with a flawed core that failed year after year.

You'd find that we actually chose to rebuild far quicker than the Magic, Thunder, Spurs etc.

There was absolute zero chance that Scottie would turn into a number one option on offence, which is exactly what is needed for a core with Siakam to succeed. He is a second banana, without a first option, it goes nowhere.

I mentioned earlier, if we had drafted someone like Luka, go for it. But we didn't, and we shouldn't have.
Props TZ!
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,372

Post#306 » by PushDaRock » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:35 pm

Scase wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Not that you need more ammo but..

There was absolute zero chance that Scottie would turn into a number one option on offence, which is exactly what is needed for a core with Siakam to succeed. He is a second banana, without a first option, it goes nowhere.

I mentioned earlier, if we had drafted someone like Luka, go for it. But we didn't, and we shouldn't have.

lol zero chance he becomes a number 1 option after 1 year in the league?

If he had zero chance, I'm sure Jokic, SGA, Kawhi and Giannis also had zero chance after their first year in the league.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,190

Post#307 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:36 pm

Scase wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Not that you need more ammo but..

Wait, you’ve turned on Scottie already and think he is incapable of if?

Not saying I’m surprised, it just happened faster than I thought.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#308 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:37 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

If he had zero chance, I'm sure Jokic, SGA, Kawhi and Giannis also had zero chance after their first year in the league.

It’s wild - the guy legitimately will contradict himself and say whatever he can to **** on Masai / Siakam / FVV / Nurse.

This was the same dude who made the “Siakam is a historically bad shooter” thread and flooded it with how Barnes 3 point shooting was totally sustainable.

But I guess that’s ran its course - can’t wait for him to start calling for Scottie to be moved :lol:
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
Scase
RealGM

Post#309 » by Scase » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:51 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

And yet, 3 years in Masai has traded Siakam.

Jokic was not putting up first option scoring numbers until season 6
Giannis until season 5
SGA until season 5
Kawhi Until season 6

So even if we were to take your horrible argument, if Scottie blossoms into a fully fledged number 1 scoring option, he's not doing it for 2-3 more years. But yeah man, lets do that. Lets treadmill for 5-6 years and wait until FVV/Siakam are 32 years old, because he MIGHT just become a true #1 option.

I'm done here, these are some of the worst arguments I've ever heard.
Props TZ!
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#310 » by PushDaRock » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:14 pm

Scase wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:There was absolute zero chance that Scottie would turn into a number one option on offence, which is exactly what is needed for a core with Siakam to succeed. He is a second banana, without a first option, it goes nowhere.

Giannis until season 5
SGA until season 5
Kawhi Until season 6

So even if we were to take your horrible argument, if Scottie blossoms into a fully fledged number 1 scoring option, he's not doing it for 2-3 more years. But yeah man, lets do that. Lets treadmill for 5-6 years and wait until FVV/Siakam are 32 years old, because he MIGHT just become a true #1 option.

lmao worst arguments? I'm simply saying nobody knows what a player is going to be after 1 year in the league. Unlike you, I can't predict the future with 100% certainty like you seem to be able to do.

Saying Scottie had zero chance of ever turning into a #1 option after his rookie year is just a ridiculous statement.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#311 » by PushDaRock » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:18 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:There was absolute zero chance that Scottie would turn into a number one option on offence, which is exactly what is needed for a core with Siakam to succeed. He is a second banana, without a first option, it goes nowhere.

It’s wild - the guy legitimately will contradict himself and say whatever he can to **** on Masai / Siakam / FVV / Nurse.

This was the same dude who made the “Siakam is a historically bad shooter” thread and flooded it with how Barnes 3 point shooting was totally sustainable.

But I guess that’s ran its course - can’t wait for him to start calling for Scottie to be moved :lol:

lol it's unreal how he makes stuff up and moves the goal posts to support his arguments while ignoring all the points that don't fit his narrative. Hard to take anyone serious that considers Juancho to have been a notable signing for us.
Los_29
RealGM

Post#312 » by Los_29 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:18 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Scase wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

Yeah I'm surprised he turned on him that quickly. Just goes to show that the ones who want to tank the most, are actually the ones who don't have the patience for it. They are the first ones to quit on players.

And who cares if Scottie doesn't become a #1 option. Him being a very good player in this league would make our team better. Moves can always be made to improve the team.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#313 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:26 pm

Los_29 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

Yeah I'm surprised he turned on him that quickly. Just goes to show that the ones who want to tank the most, are actually the ones who don't have the patience for it. They are the first ones to quit on players.

And who cares if Scottie doesn't become a #1 option. Him being a very good player in this league would make our team better. Moves can always be made to improve the team.

If Scottie is not a good enough result from a tank - what the **** are we doing then? We endlessly tank until we get a guaranteed HOFer?
Los_29
RealGM

Post#314 » by Los_29 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:28 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:

Giannis until season 5
SGA until season 5
Kawhi Until season 6

lmao worst arguments? I'm simply saying nobody knows what a player is going to be after 1 year in the league. Unlike you, I can't predict the future with 100% certainty like you seem to be able to do.

Saying Scottie had zero chance of ever turning into a #1 option after his rookie year is just a ridiculous statement.

Honestly, I can't help but chuckle at this whole thing. The guy said a team that was playing Patty Mills, Demar Derozan, Lemarcus Aldridge, Rudy Gay, Derrick White and Bryn Forbes heavy minutes were "inching towards a rebuild." That is flat out absurd and I couldn't believe he said something so blasphemous. But it's apparently not him with the bad arguments.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#315 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:32 pm

Scase wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:

Giannis until season 5
SGA until season 5
Kawhi Until season 6

Uhhh if we assume it would take until year 5, that would be two years from now. Our old "core" would be 31 year old Siakam, 31 year old FVV, 28 year old OG, 27 year old GTJ, etc. I would 100% take my chances with a group like that if Scottie has blossomed into a true #1 option.

I just am confused like what is your preferred end game? If treadmilling is winning 48 games while your stud rookie develops then IDK what isn't? I just think you have some weird **** idea that you can tank and be bad for years and then suddenly decide you are just good now. Sure - OKC has done it but that is such a **** anomaly that you cant even try to replicate.

But, for what its worth, SGA was a 1st option putting up stud #'s in year 3, not 5. And I love how you use Jokci, Giannis, and Kawhi as examples as those are the guy who were later blossoming studs. Wonder why you did not use Tatum, or KD, or Booker, or Ant. I wonder why that is :roll:
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 431

Post#316 » by manjusaka » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:41 pm

While I think Barnes is the best player, but I do agree he may not become that 1st option scorer with his passing mindset.

However, I think RJ has the mindset and the tools to be a 1st option scorer. I am optimistic that he can maintain his 3p% and improve his FT%. All he needs is to consistently hitting the turnaround jumper in the midrange. It is a weapon that is already in his disposal, just not using it often with us, because it is inefficient right now.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#317 » by PushDaRock » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:55 pm

Los_29 wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Scase wrote:And yet, 3 years in Masai has traded Siakam.

Giannis until season 5
SGA until season 5
Kawhi Until season 6

Honestly, I can't help but chuckle at this whole thing. The guy said a team that was playing Patty Mills, Demar Derozan, Lemarcus Aldridge, Rudy Gay, Derrick White and Bryn Forbes heavy minutes were "inching towards a rebuild." That is flat out absurd and I couldn't believe he said something so blasphemous. But it's apparently not him with the bad arguments.

If you're ever guilty of a crime, he's the lawyer you hire.
Scase
RealGM

Post#318 » by Scase » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:11 pm

Los_29 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

I have never stated that Scottie is a shoe in for a number 1 offensive scorer. If anything I have constantly said the opposite, that he doesn't need to be a primary scorer, but a facilitator. But as per usual, you and your little peanut gallery like to take pot shots and make stuff up.

I never "turned" on him, you're just making **** up as usual. Scottie is fine, I'm still super high on him, he's still who the team should be built around. Not that me being this clear will change anything, since you guys like to just build your own narratives.

I'm not bothering to address the second part, because it is irrelevant to the convo, as you and anyone else just chiming in with your 2 cents didn't bother to read the rest of the discussion. It's hilarious that the majority of the posts from you few are just circle jerking around all my posts.

"OMG LOL DID YOU HEAR WHAT HE SAID?!" You'd think I wronged you all IRL :lol: :lol:
Props TZ!
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,402

Post#319 » by Mikistan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:16 pm

"Goes to show you that those most wanting a tank can't handle it when it happens"

That's the kind of garbage comment I would expect from that poster. Buddy is so deep in the social media echo chambers he doesn't even realize his ridiculous mental conclusions are unfounded because all that matter is us = right and them = always wrong
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,877

Post#320 » by Duffman100 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:35 pm

Mikistan wrote:"Goes to show you that those most wanting a tank can't handle it when it happens"

That's the kind of garbage comment I would expect from that poster. Buddy is so deep in the social media echo chambers he doesn't even realize his ridiculous mental conclusions are unfounded because all that matter is us = right and them = always wrong

Confirmed, he is on RealGM.

Return to Toronto Raptors