ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Tank season has concluded

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Waylanderz
Veteran
And1: 6,241

Re: PG: Tank season has concluded 

Post#21 » by Waylanderz » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:26 am

Let's erase the tapes!
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,620

Post#22 » by Jcity08 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:32 am

TheAlchemist23 wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:We're probably not going to be anywhere near the lottery next season, so hopefully we make the best of whatever happens this offseason and pray that the lottery god shine their Silvery light on us.

You think the organization is going to let us tank next season? Its going to be a play-in or die trying this time next season.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,297

Post#23 » by Scase » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:24 am

I, for one, look forward to the panac moves made by our FO during the off season trying to make the play in next year. How much more of our future can we mortgage?
Props TZ!
TorontoBaller
Analyst
And1: 1,390

Post#24 » by TorontoBaller » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:52 am

Started watching in 99

Never watched fewer games in a season.

I try, but it wasn’t fun. And in the end… well tanking was necessary but not enjoyable.

Cheers folks.
Let’s get a good pick and see what October brings.

Wraps forever 8-)
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#25 » by Chandan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:01 am

Waylanderz wrote:Let's erase the tapes!

jalen McDaniels should have.
TDots97
Sophomore
And1: 238

Post#26 » by TDots97 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:12 am

Jcity08 wrote:
TheAlchemist23 wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:We're probably not going to be anywhere near the lottery next season, so hopefully we make the best of whatever happens this offseason and pray that the lottery god shine their Silvery light on us.

You think the organization is going to let us tank next season? Its going to be a play-in or die trying this time next season.

I could see us push for the play-in if we have near perfect health unless we fix our depth issues, then even with some minor injuries here and there, we could stay the course. If Masai doesn't address the needs for size and defense, I could see this being a long season as soon as someone like Scottie or Jakob goes down.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,620

Post#27 » by Jcity08 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:21 am

TDots97 wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:
TheAlchemist23 wrote:Image

I could see us push for the play-in if we have near perfect health unless we fix our depth issues, then even with some minor injuries here and there, we could stay the course. If Masai doesn't address the needs for size and defense, I could see this being a long season as soon as someone like Scottie or Jakob goes down.

For sure, I don't think we're going to be super competitive next season barring the scenario where we address all our glaring issues, players that we have take serious leaps, we establish a competitive bench, whatever additions we make this offseason are all home runs...and we stay healthy. Barring all that, I think we fall in the range of being just good enough to be competing in the play-in, and just bad enough to be anything more than a play-in ceiling team.

Thats just my guess for how our next season plays out.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,746

Post#28 » by metafisical » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:22 am

I don't know you guys are talking about. I found this season incredibly fun. I haven't been this tuned into the Raptors since the Tampa season. And before that, the last time we tanked.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Post#29 » by disoblige » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:31 am

People are upset because this team didn’t meet their expectations. The moment Kawhi, Lowry, Fred and Nurse left the team, I knew we will be mediocre at best. Rockets offering plus 40mill for Fred is a blessing in disguise. Better to rebuild now than ride out a 30yr old siakam and 30yr old Fred.

Getting two potential young stars for OG is a home run. We just need to acquire a superstar or another star and we are back at the top.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,020

Post#30 » by DelAbbot » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:19 am

The takeaway from this season is tanking with only 50% chance of keeping the pick really stinks. Not fun to watch for Team Compete or TwO.

Q: How mid can we be?

Masai: Bullseye
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,020

Post#31 » by DelAbbot » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:24 am

ItsDanger wrote:The smart play is to tank again in 2025.

The odds are good we will be winning in the 30's again next season as long as Darko is still the coach and we have poor defense (even when Poeltl is on the court). Any injury will cause a top 10 lottery finish.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#32 » by SharoneWright » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:38 am

In the future, people may not ever remember that this team was actually trying to win games until the trade deadline. This was a bad team that got worse and is still hamstrung by a preposterous trade. It’s a long road ahead.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#33 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:05 am

KL78192020 wrote:And now we give the spurs the 7th pick :lol: :lol: :lol:

Which means Tankathon II will be on shelves in the Fall.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#34 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:41 am

SharoneWright wrote:In the future, people may not ever remember that this team was actually trying to win games until the trade deadline. This was a bad team that got worse and is still hamstrung by a preposterous trade. It’s a long road ahead.

Which preposterous trade? If there was no tanking potion called the lotto the preposterous trade you might be referring to would already be a moot point. It is so NBA to use a gambling gimmick to further hurt markets that can never sign tier 1 free agents. It started with denying us the number 1 pick coming into the league, then the matter of refs continual harrassment and subsequent league fines or the espn national round table of shame and disinterest and this year two investigations including a civil lawsuit from someone who lawyers up to go the bathroom and now the league leaking investigation into a 10 day contractor we had just signed to a regular deal for gambling allegations. The reality is some just plain devalue Poetl as man of less conventional talents. For all we know the FO was hoping the Poetl acquisition might get Paskal to sign an extension. He, Fred and others knew they were hitting the open market long before it happened. The NBA open market architecture ensures teams outside the preferred status arrangement get put in their place. I do not begrudge the FO trying to use Poetl to get a home discount on Paskal. That the tactic failed is the real issue and the why it must tried in the first place.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,577

Post#35 » by 2019nbachamps » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:22 pm

Jcity08 wrote:
TheAlchemist23 wrote:

We didn’t tank this year, we were just trash. Bruce Brown said yesterday he was playing hurt after the deadline. Made no sense to run him out there if we were tanking. We also missed the playoffs last year because we sucked. Point is, missing the playoffs next year might not be in our control yet again. It’s still early days but I’m not sure our current core with a full offseason together can get us 36 wins next year (the play in threshold). I can see us getting 36 wins if we get some good bench pieces this summer.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,867

Post#36 » by Duffman100 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:42 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:
TheAlchemist23 wrote:Image

We didn’t tank this year, we were just trash. Bruce Brown said yesterday he was playing hurt after the deadline. Made no sense to run him out there if we were tanking. We also missed the playoffs last year because we sucked. Point is, missing the playoffs next year might not be in our control yet again. It’s still early days but I’m not sure our current core with a full offseason together can get us 36 wins next year (the play in threshold). I can see us getting 36 wins if we get some good bench pieces this summer.

We didn't tank? We sat our entire starting lineup (mostly) for like the last 25-30 games of the season.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,063

Post#37 » by HumbleRen » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:00 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:

We didn't tank? We sat our entire starting lineup (mostly) for like the last 25-30 games of the season.

We tanked because of the circumstances but I don't think they had intentions to tank once the trades happened, I don't believe they value the 2024 pick to that extent.

Scottie with a broken finger, Poeltl with a serious ankle sprain, RJ had a knee sprain to manage on top of his brother passing away. IQ dealing with a family member passing too.

I think there was more legit reasons why they sat out rather than not.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#38 » by Duffman100 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:02 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:

We tanked because of the circumstances but I don't think they had intentions to tank once the trades happened, I don't believe they value the 2024 pick to that extent.

Scottie with a broken finger, Poeltl with a serious ankle sprain, RJ had a knee sprain to manage on top of his brother passing away. IQ dealing with a family member passing too.

I think they we're playing it as it came. But when they started seeing how we were trending, we definitely tanked.

You don't think these guys could have come back if we were fighting for a play-in spot? I'm sure both Poeltl and Barnes were totally playable for the last little while.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,063

Post#39 » by HumbleRen » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:34 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

I think they we're playing it as it came. But when they started seeing how we were trending, we definitely tanked.

You don't think these guys could have come back if we were fighting for a play-in spot? I'm sure both Poeltl and Barnes were totally playable for the last little while.

Poeltl had finger surgery at the end of the first week of March, let’s say the recovery window is 3-4 weeks. His return at the earliest would be the last week of March.

Scottie’s injury is a 4-6 week recovery window. At the earliest he would have came back for the last week of March as well.

There was no chance of them making the play in by the time they would have came back. Especially considering RJ and IQ missing some games due to loved ones passing away.

Definitely circumstantial tanking in my opinion compared to the full out tank during the Tampa season.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#40 » by Duffman100 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:36 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:

Poeltl had finger surgery at the end of the first week of March, let’s say the recovery window is 3-4 weeks. His return at the earliest would be the last week of March.

Scottie’s injury is a 4-6 week recovery window. At the earliest he would have came back for the last week of March as well.

There was no chance of them making the play in by the time they would have came back. Especially considering RJ and IQ missing some games due to loved ones passing away.

Definitely circumstantial tanking in my opinion compared to the full out tank during the Tampa season.

and yet, both terms have 'tanking' in them.

Return to Toronto Raptors