ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,808

Re: 2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread 

Post#561 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:I still can't believe that supposed "top" Toronto Raptors reporters can't figure why a rebuilding team would trade a player looking for a 1/4 billion dollar contract that starts in his 30s. You can argue that maybe they left an extra prospect or pick on the table by waiting, but the reasons for trading him are so blatantly obvious to anyone who even casually follows the NBA.

Considering how much of a homer he was, Josh Lewenberg must be a mouth piece for the owners

Masai is on the clock.

Both Rogers (Grange) and Bell (Lewenberg) making sure they have justification and fan support to not re-up Masai in 2026.

I believe this is why the tone change from the beat hacks, and this should be clearly obvious it is my own speculation

With that said Masai does deserve criticism and is hopefully feeling the pressure to do better.

But at $15m per year, those calling for his firing are wasting their breath. No way MLSE fires him with at least $30m owed between now and end of 2026.

It does seem too coincidental to not be an orchestrated campaign to cast doubt on Masai
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#562 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:57 pm

I don't like Boston or Miami. Heat have no chance without Butler (and Rozier). But watching now I just think, what a solid ballplayer Jaquez is. Just knows how to play. What a draft pick. No brainer for 1st team All Rookie SVG just said. So is Podz I imagine. Both chosen after Gradey
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#563 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:28 am

WaltFrazier wrote:I don't like Boston or Miami. Heat have no chance without Butler (and Rozier). But watching now I just think, what a solid ballplayer Jaquez is. Just knows how to play. What a draft pick. No brainer for 1st team All Rookie SVG just said. So is Podz I imagine. Both chosen after Gradey

What’s the goal?

Best rookie season or best career?

I think Podz and Jaquez are good players and were good picks. I’m not convinced they’ll have better careers than Dick.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#564 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:38 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:I don't like Boston or Miami. Heat have no chance without Butler (and Rozier). But watching now I just think, what a solid ballplayer Jaquez is. Just knows how to play. What a draft pick. No brainer for 1st team All Rookie SVG just said. So is Podz I imagine. Both chosen after Gradey

What’s the goal?

I think Podz and Jaquez are good players and were good picks. I’m not convinced they’ll have better careers than Dick.

We'll find out, I like them both to have better careers than Gradey even though he did show promise after a disastrous start.

I'm not saying this is you but I find a tendency on this board, in these types of discussions, to have the attitude of yeah but our guy will improve and those others won't.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#565 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:23 am

Heat playing Boston tough, up 6 with 3 minutes.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,372

Post#566 » by TOStateofMind » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:26 am

celtics getting exposed by the heat yet again :lol:
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,164

Post#567 » by MiamiSPX » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:32 am

Heat culture is a thing, unfortunately. I think Spo is the best coach in the league.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,541

Post#568 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:42 am

Mia +14 easy bet
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#569 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:42 am

MiamiSPX wrote:Heat culture is a thing, unfortunately. I think Spo is the best coach in the league.

by a mile
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,511

Post#570 » by bballsparkin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:51 am

MiamiSPX wrote:Heat culture is a thing, unfortunately. I think Spo is the best coach in the league.

I don't even think it's up for debate at this point.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,340

Post#571 » by Scase » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:12 am

JV doing his best job at helping us trade Jak.
Props TZ!
positivetension
Veteran
And1: 1,137

Post#572 » by positivetension » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:23 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

What’s the goal?

We'll find out, I like them both to have better careers than Gradey even though he did show promise after a disastrous start.

I'm not saying this is you but I find a tendency on this board, in these types of discussions, to have the attitude of yeah but our guy will improve and those others won't.

Jaquez is almost 3 years older than Dick.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,787
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#573 » by Boogie! » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:38 am

I'm not sure why people still continue to hate on siakam. I'm not necessarily gonna say this was worst trade in franchise history but it was always obvious to me how talented siakam was. The way the board disrespected him and the way the organization managed hkm by basically treating him like he didn't exist anymore in the offseason mde no sense. People loved to lump him and fvv together in terms of problems but they were completely different personalities and siakam was always the more talented player. I am honestly still not sure if Scottie will ever reach the sheer offensive talent that siakam has in terms of overall scoring ability. Siakams footwork and his ability to score in the paint was a lot more elite than people realize.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#574 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:42 am

positivetension wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
What’s the goal?

Jaquez is almost 3 years older than Dick.

Yep. Crazy how 23 is old now. That's what rookies used to be. I could see it becoming a trend, to draft a 3-4 year college player because they're mature and ready to contribute. Really get the benefit of the rookie contract. But at 23 I don't think it has to mean he won't learn and continue to improve, that he's finished developing. Maybe Gradey has more room to improve but I'm not sure he gets as good as Jaquez. Different types of players of course
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,512

Post#575 » by Brinbe » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:53 am

really feels like they're gonna be the team to beat going forward, especially with all those picks and assets to further improve that roster around that core three.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#576 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:05 am

the togetherness of this OKC is most impressive
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,083

Post#577 » by HumbleRen » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:39 am

Spo is doing black magic
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,291

Post#578 » by Tripod » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:56 am

Here is reality.

A top coach in NBA
All NBA Siakam as a #1
All Star Fred as a #2
ROTY Barnes as #3
DPOY candidate as #4
Yak at C as #5

Those 5 together along with Nurse could not figure out a way to beat the Bulls and be a playoff team. That's not Masai's fault. That's on those 6 guys.

Siakam is in a perfect spot for his stats....lots of shooters and defense isn't required. And they are playing a team missing their best player who would be guarding Siakam. It's a perfect storm.

And you can't just ignore that Siakam didn't want to sign with the Raps early in case he made All NBA this year. So the Raps were in a bad spot of possibly way overpaying a 30-35 year old Siakam while being a tweener, possibly losing him for nothing, or trading him for below what they felt he was worth. Not great options.

In the end, the Raps have moved on. I hope he keeps playing well and they beat the stinkin Bucks and the fraud Doc.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,164

Post#579 » by MiamiSPX » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:21 am

bballsparkin wrote:

I don't even think it's up for debate at this point.

Agreed. I hate the Heat but I have to admit I am envious of their hierarchical structure. Singular owner who never meddles -> PBO who everyone respects (despite his arrogance and constant tampering) and has the last word, and will never leave --> coach who has come up through the organization to become the best in the league, has the respect of everyone, and will never leave.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#580 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=0YpMScWXY2zRUqR8fH-usg

Return to Toronto Raptors