ImageImageImageImageImage

GSW - TOR: Warriors salary dump while staying competitive

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,316

Re: GSW - TOR: Warriors salary dump while staying competitive 

Post#41 » by JB7 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:39 am

I have been mentioning this possibility for a bit - using the Raps cap space to bring in Wiggins.

Wiggins has been playing better lately. Warriors will definitely look to dump him, as Klay has been playing better lately. They will want to keep their core three together. And no point paying the luxury tax when you are a play in team.

But I also think they’ll want to hold onto any young assets they have like Kuminga, Moody and Podz.

Also, somebody mentioned that Brown’s extra year would need to be picked up to move him. GSW couldn’t cut him to save money. So Raps would need to pass on his option, and renounce GTJ to free up space to absorb Wiggins. Raps could move McDaniels, and possibly Boucher, if they needed more contract filler.

I wouldn’t worry about Wiggins influence on BBQ. They have been around enough professionals, to not be poorly influenced by one. I actually think RJ would hold Wiggins more accountable.

And his contract fits in nicely. It expires the same year as RJ, Yak and Dick’s deals expire.

But I would think the Raps would pursue the Pelicans Herb Jones or TM3 first, to see how much they would cost (in assets).

Wiggins is the cheap option (in terms of assets). Maybe Raps could get a pick back as well, but I would be fine with just acquiring Wiggins without having to trade any real assets.

He would be their POA defender, and 4th option on O. Could fit right into the starting lineup at SF, allowing RJ to slide over to SG. And off the bench they would have Olynyk, Dick and OA. They could even pursue Lowry as a backup PG, to mentor IQ.
TorontoBaller
Analyst
And1: 1,390

Post#42 » by TorontoBaller » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:53 am

MessiahUjiri wrote:Supporting thesis: The Warriors are going to aggressively cut salary next season, while looking to stay competitive. The Raptors will dangle Bruce Brown, and will be willing to take back salary using their Siakam trade exception ($10M) as they accumulate assets. Wiggins probably needs a fresh start at this point, and Toronto is home.

Supporting context:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/warriors-offseason-plan-1a-is-to-avoid-luxury-tax-entirely-owner-joe-lacob-says/

The Warriors are still in win-now mode, but ownership is hoping to do so on a somewhat more affordable budget next season. Most fans have assumed, at the very least, that the team would try to find a way beneath the new second apron before penalties for exceeding it start to kick in next season. Warriors governor Joe Lacob appeared on The TK Show with The Athletic's Tim Kawakami, and he indicated that while nothing is set in stone, he'd like to go even further. In a perfect world, Golden State would duck the luxury tax entirely next season.

"Our Plan 1, or 1A, is that we'd like to be out of the tax, and we think that we have a way to do that," Lacob explained. "That kind of is the plan, not just under the second apron. I'll tell you why that's important because the truth is, we need to be out of the tax two years out of the next four in order to get this repeater thing off our books. We don't want to be a repeater. It's just so prohibitive, not to say we wouldn't do it if we had to, but you've gotta look at what the downside is to doing that. So, that's the plan, is to try to do that, and we think we can keep our team together and retain even the players that are, we might be able to bring players back at different numbers and so on."

To be done as 2 separate trades:

Bruce Brown, Jalen McDaniels, TPE $10M
for
Wiggins, Moody, Payton, 2 ATL 2nds (‘26 & ‘28)

I’m in! 100%

Would golden state go for it?
It confuses me that people are suggesting his isn’t a clear raps victory, but I’m probly missins something.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,898

Post#43 » by Merit » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:55 am

MiamiSPX wrote:There are many red flags with Wiggins that I am certain some of you ignore simply because he's Canadian.

He’s still an athletic wing who’s solid defensively and can create his own shot.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#44 » by Merit » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:14 am

Ackshun wrote:
Merit wrote:
Ackshun wrote:Feel like we can move Brown for the seconds, without taking back deadweight.

There’s gotta be something out there. Cupboards are pretty bare in LA and NY. Maybe Denver with Braun, Pickett or some of their other young guys?

Yeah this definitely isn’t the only option, but the Canadian factor and storyline makes this a hard one to pass up on. I happen to think Wigs contract is going to age well and I can’t wait to see us getting more hometown “value” whether via future contracts or even via community and national team presence. You gotta remember that we have Shai watching how we handle the Canadians here too.

Why do you believe Shai is watching how we handle Canadians? Or that it will impact his decision 4 years from now?

Would Wiggins become our starting SF?

Wiggins 2023: 13/4.5/1.7 shooting 45/36/74 - 26 mill
Gradey (last 15): 14/2.7/0.9 shooting 43/38/78 - 4.7 mill

I’d rather give those minutes to Gradey and build a nice bench..if Wiggins was 1/3 the cost, I’d do it but worth that player option, paying 30 million in 2026/27 doesn’t make sense for me. I’d be more inclined to give Demar 28mill to bring him back for 3-4 years ..but nah **** that

I have no clue whether Shai is watching how we treat Canadians but he’s gonna hear about it now that we have at least two national team members our team present tense. He probably heard it about the same amount anyway just given his ties to the city and his commitment to the national team. I cannot speak to his decision 4 years from now with any certainty, but I can say if he hears and sees positive things it can only be a good thing.

Wiggins would start, yes. Gradey is the heir apparent.

The OP’s trade includes a bench. I’m more inclined to draft and develop one.

While I’m content with Wiggins as he is, focusing on his last season alone and Gradey’s last 15 games while conveniently focusing on Gradey’s strengths and ignoring the defensive side of the game seems a lot like cherry picking for stats to me.

I’m hopeful our team and organizational culture is strong enough to compel Wiggins to (at the very least) come to camp in shape. I am optimistic and hope for more. Who knows what is happening in his life? NBA players are human as well.
I believe in Masai.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,297

Post#45 » by Scase » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:35 pm

Merit wrote:
Scase wrote:
Merit wrote:
Accidentally and 1’d this but I think Wigs contract is gonna be exactly like RJ’s in that he’s going to outperform it as the cap goes up. I doubt we get better depth for the price on the FA market. Malik Monk and Moody are a wash for me. GP3 is an awesome defender and ideal backup.

The issue is Wigs contract and GSW pays for it in prospects. I think we could probably squeeze a first out of them if we included a 2nd.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest he would bounce back, aside from wishful thinking. RJs contract even at the knicks level of production wasn't that bad, the cap going up doesn't change bad production. Wiggins has had 2-3 good seasons in his entire career, and those needed him being paired with arguably the 2 greatest shooters in NBA history. Picking up one of the worst contracts in the NBA under the hopes that he will magically bounce back, is just clueless.

Wiggins as he is right now is exactly what this team needs. A tertiary scorer who can hold down a bench unit and a defensive stopper. The only issue is his contract, but that’s what makes him available. I still take him even if he stays the same and makes zero improvement.

Fortunately, we will have complementary shooting around him, and Wiggins can shoot as well. He’s not someone who’s going to be left unguarded, that’s for sure. As it stands, IQ, RJ, Scottie and Wigs all require their man to be nearby. Same with Gradey and Kelly for their shooting. We have what we need on this team for him to be successful - especially in a system where he’ll be set free and allowed to make a few mistakes.

We just won 25 games, why do we "need" him? And his defence this year has been flat out bad, so again, why do we risk paying a guy going into his 29/30/31 years upwards of 30mil? So we can hope he doesn't end up being a complete negative, for Moody?

If we were going to be another tanking year or 2, yeah I would totally be on board with that. But swallowing up a bad contract and trying to compete just sounds like a bad idea.
Props TZ!
RealGM
And1: 66,481

Post#46 » by 720 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:40 pm

The Warriors trade partner train has passed in my opinion. Those dumbasses should have traded for OG or Siakam (maybe both), for their young guys and Wiggins would have been the filler. Now it’s whatever. Taking on Wiggins means you give us back something of value.
planetmars
Sixth Man
And1: 1,437

Post#47 » by planetmars » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:43 pm

Since Bruce Brown is an expiring contract we can't trade him, unless we opt into his contract. Warriors want to shed money now, not a year from now.

But I would be totally on board with opting out of Brown's contract. Letting Gary walk. Using the cap space (about $20M) on Wiggins and a first round pick.

Use the cap space as leverage for bringing in a draft pick. If Wiggins plays okay he fits the starting line up. We need a big wing since moving off of Pascal/OG/Precious. If he sulks on the bench, whatever. Need to ride it out for 3 years. After 2 he's an expiring contract and might be flip-able.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,530

Post#48 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:09 pm

planetmars wrote:Since Bruce Brown is an expiring contract we can't trade him, unless we opt into his contract. Warriors want to shed money now, not a year from now.

But I would be totally on board with opting out of Brown's contract. Letting Gary walk. Using the cap space (about $20M) on Wiggins and a first round pick.

Use the cap space as leverage for bringing in a draft pick. If Wiggins plays okay he fits the starting line up. We need a big wing since moving off of Pascal/OG/Precious. If he sulks on the bench, whatever. Need to ride it out for 3 years. After 2 he's an expiring contract and might be flip-able.

Brown's opt-in date isn't until June 29th, which is after the draft. They could trade him on draft day, and then the team that acquires him can decline the option making him a FA. That's why his contract is somewhat valuable.
planetmars
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by planetmars » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:23 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
planetmars wrote:Since Bruce Brown is an expiring contract we can't trade him, unless we opt into his contract. Warriors want to shed money now, not a year from now.

Brown's opt-in date isn't until June 29th, which is after the draft. They could trade him on draft day, and then the team that acquires him can decline the option making him a FA. That's why his contract is somewhat valuable.

No I checked.. you have to opt in first to trade him. Can't trade a "free agent" after the deadline. It's against the rules.
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,170

Post#50 » by TorontoBarneys » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:24 pm

Acquiring Wiggins is absolutely insane. :lol:
planetmars
Sixth Man

Post#51 » by planetmars » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:24 pm

planetmars wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

No I checked.. you have to opt in first to trade him. Can't trade a "free agent" after the deadline. It's against the rules.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q101

When the trade deadline has passed. Teams are free to make trades again once their season has ended4, but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#52 » by brownbobcat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:28 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:

It was valuable, not so much anymore.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#53 » by Merit » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:13 pm

Scase wrote:
Merit wrote:
Scase wrote:There is absolutely nothing to suggest he would bounce back, aside from wishful thinking. RJs contract even at the knicks level of production wasn't that bad, the cap going up doesn't change bad production. Wiggins has had 2-3 good seasons in his entire career, and those needed him being paired with arguably the 2 greatest shooters in NBA history. Picking up one of the worst contracts in the NBA under the hopes that he will magically bounce back, is just clueless.

Wiggins as he is right now is exactly what this team needs. A tertiary scorer who can hold down a bench unit and a defensive stopper. The only issue is his contract, but that’s what makes him available. I still take him even if he stays the same and makes zero improvement.

Fortunately, we will have complementary shooting around him, and Wiggins can shoot as well. He’s not someone who’s going to be left unguarded, that’s for sure. As it stands, IQ, RJ, Scottie and Wigs all require their man to be nearby. Same with Gradey and Kelly for their shooting. We have what we need on this team for him to be successful - especially in a system where he’ll be set free and allowed to make a few mistakes.

We just won 25 games, why do we "need" him? And his defence this year has been flat out bad, so again, why do we risk paying a guy going into his 29/30/31 years upwards of 30mil? So we can hope he doesn't end up being a complete negative, for Moody?

If we were going to be another tanking year or 2, yeah I would totally be on board with that. But swallowing up a bad contract and trying to compete just sounds like a bad idea.

We don’t need wiggins specifically, we need his archetype. Don’t get me wrong, I would be content with a tank, but I doubt it happens. Like I said, Wigs is Canadian, has upside, is coming off a down season and his team needs to move him - hence we can acquire him for a minimum cost. The point of any rebuild is buy low, sell high. I think this can happen in the case of Wiggins. And we disagree on his defense this year or in any year. He’s objectively one of the few players who can stay in front of just about any wing.
I believe in Masai.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,297

Post#54 » by Scase » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:17 am

Merit wrote:
Scase wrote:
Merit wrote:

We don’t need wiggins specifically, we need his archetype. Don’t get me wrong, I would be content with a tank, but I doubt it happens. Like I said, Wigs is Canadian, has upside, is coming off a down season and his team needs to move him - hence we can acquire him for a minimum cost. The point of any rebuild is buy low, sell high. I think this can happen in the case of Wiggins. And we disagree on his defense this year or in any year. He’s objectively one of the few players who can stay in front of just about any wing.

Fair enough, I agree with you that our FO doesn't likely have the stones to rebuild properly so your scenario is more likely.

As for the defence part, nah. He wass objectively one of the worst defenders in the NBA at his position this year. 33rd percentile in opponent eFG, 15th percentile in opponent PPP, 15th percentile in transition defence, and so on.

I'm not saying he's a bad defender, I'm saying he was an awful defender this year. The only 2 years he was worse, 3rd year in MIN, and his final year in MIN.
Props TZ!
Merit
Head Coach

Post#55 » by Merit » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:50 am

TorontoBarneys wrote:Acquiring Wiggins is absolutely insane. :lol:

I can make posts that are about nothing too.
I believe in Masai.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,834

Post#56 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:35 am

Wiggins might be an issue to trade/tough to trade, but the GSW don't need to salary dump Payton and Moody and they can probably do a lot better than Bruce Brown's semi-inflated 2025 contract with those 3.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,417

Post#57 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:34 am

TorontoBarneys wrote:Acquiring Wiggins is absolutely insane. :lol:

It's dampened my evening even contemplating the team trying to acquire Wiggins. Though maybe he turns things around and plays well here, I don't even really know what his issues are.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,641

Post#58 » by Psubs » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:03 am

Can't combine a TPE, just absorb a player into it.

Wiggins and Moody for Ochai Abgaji, McDaniels and Boucher

PG IQ - 1st pick/JFL
SG Barrett - Dick - Moody
SF Wiggins - Barrett - Dick
PF Barnes - Olynyk - Wiggins
C Poetl - Olynyk - 1st pick
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,298

Post#59 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:18 am

I’d like to find a way to get Moody but no thanks to Wiggins. He just can’t seem to get his head/heart back in the game like he did during the Warriors last chip run with whatever he’s got going on personally.

If you bring him home that distraction will only likely get worse so that’s a no thanks.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,815

Post#60 » by Zeno » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:33 am

PhilBlackson wrote:I’d like to find a way to get Moody but no thanks to Wiggins. He just can’t seem to get his head/heart back in the game like he did during the Warriors last chip run with whatever he’s got going on personally.

If you bring him home that distraction will only likely get worse so that’s a no thanks.

Perhaps Darko telling him to smile more would help.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

Return to Toronto Raptors