ImageImageImageImageImage

GSW - TOR: Warriors salary dump while staying competitive

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,081

Re: GSW - TOR: Warriors salary dump while staying competitive 

Post#101 » by mihaic » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:00 am

Landomar wrote:It looks like Golden State just has to let Chris Paul and Klay Thompson come off the books. Without those two, they have a nine man roster that is comfortably below the luxury tax.

Curry / Payton
Podziemski / Moody
Wiggins
Green / Kuminga
Jackson-Davis / Looney
= 142 million + 11 million for 6 minimum contracts, so let's call it 153 million

The luxury tax threshold is around 171 million. That gives them 18 to 20 million in flexibility. If Klay Thompson accepts a contract for a lower number than that, then they literally just have to let Chris Paul walk and they are fine.

That's a lottery team though unless Lebron joins for minimum.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,844

Post#102 » by Zeno » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 am

Scase wrote:
Zeno wrote:
Scase wrote:I was mentioning earlier that Wiggins alone is a FRP, Moody isn't enough. I wonder with them being embarrassed by the Kings if they are a bit more desperate.

At a 2026 FRP top 5 protected, and it's worth it. Especially since he's likely an expiring by the time we truly want to compete.

Let’s say we keep the pick this year and draft Clingan and then at the draft trade Yak to GS for Wiggins, Moody and a top 6 protected 2025. Would you do that trade?

I would do that so fast GSWs entire FOs heads would spin.

I suspected you would have that reaction. So pretty obviously An overpay for the Warriors despite the Wiggins deal. So scaling their offer back a bit what is the latest protection you would still do the deal at? For me I still do it without Moody or with the pick top 10 protected. How about you?
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,579

Post#103 » by Mak » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 am

mihaic wrote:
Landomar wrote:It looks like Golden State just has to let Chris Paul and Klay Thompson come off the books. Without those two, they have a nine man roster that is comfortably below the luxury tax.

Curry / Payton
Podziemski / Moody
Wiggins
Green / Kuminga
Jackson-Davis / Looney
= 142 million + 11 million for 6 minimum contracts, so let's call it 153 million

The luxury tax threshold is around 171 million. That gives them 18 to 20 million in flexibility. If Klay Thompson accepts a contract for a lower number than that, then they literally just have to let Chris Paul walk and they are fine.

They were a lottery team with Klay and Paul so whats the difference.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#104 » by anotherhomer » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
Merit wrote:
I think we would be discussing it if he wasn’t Canadian, but the storyline wouldn’t be as appealing. Is wiggins the only choice? No. If the Raps get someone better - all good. Would I rather have wiggins than GTJ? Absolutely. Would it be cool if we had both for depth reasons? For sure.

If I’ve learned anything about the Raptors it’s that they are all about value. I believe wiggins contract expires when Scottie is due for a raise. He can take a hometown discount or leave.

Masai identified backup PG, a wing defender and a backup big as targets. All could come via the draft, but Wiggins redemption arc in Toronto is a storyline worth considering.

Gotta admit, the RJ turnaround makes this seem more enticing (as long as Warriors give us Moody AND a pick). Perhaps there's something about home cooking that helps Toronto-area athletes.

I asked previously, but no response. I’ll try again…

Does anyone know where his dad is living these days? Is he in the GTA?

I thought I heard his family had moved to Minny after he was drafted.

Reason I ask is because if the leaves of absence are related to his dad, being close to his dad full time might eliminate those leaves. Plus being close to him would take a weight off his mind. But if his dad isn’t in the GTA, then that idea/thinking is for naught.

That's a good point about whether his dad is living in gta or not

Another point is that gsw can simply let klay and paul go to get under the salary
So they may not necessarily look to dump salary but more so upgrade on talent
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,200

Post#105 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:24 pm

HangTime wrote:Brown,
McDaniels,
Boucher

For

Paul,
Wiggins,
2025 FRP,
option to swap either our own or Indiana's 2026 FRP
with theirs

Maybe Paul can teach our guards some things, and then we buy him out after training camp, if he wants out.

Why does everyone want Wiggins on this team with RJ Barrett? Both guys are what redundant together and expensive. I think Wiggins is the better of the two or Wiggins peak is better than what RJ has shown but Paul easily requests a buyout to ring chase out West or goes to Philly/Milwaukee/New York/Boston.

I don't see GSW as a terrible team unless something really doesn't work or Curry goes down, Green gets suspended for half the season and Thompson is gone. You can't option the swap of Toronto's pick in 2026 without fulfilling the obligation to San Antonio.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,579

Post#106 » by Mak » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:26 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
McDaniels,
Boucher

For

Paul,
Wiggins,
2025 FRP,
with theirs

Maybe Paul can teach our guards some things, and then we buy him out after training camp, if he wants out.

Why does everyone want Wiggins on this team with RJ Barrett? Both guys are what redundant together and expensive. I think Wiggins is the better of the two or Wiggins peak is better than what RJ has shown but Paul easily requests a buyout to ring chase out West or goes to Philly/Milwaukee/New York/Boston.

I don't see GSW as a terrible team unless something really doesn't work or Curry goes down, Green gets suspended for half the season and Thompson is gone. You can't option the swap of Toronto's pick in 2026 without fulfilling the obligation to San Antonio.

I don't know if anybody really wants Wiggins, they see a team in potential distress trying to move a contract and give up first round picks to do so. Let's take first round pick, Wiggins here or not we are not winning a title in the next 2 years , so lets get a pick that can potentially contribute to winning in 5 years?
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#107 » by Scase » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:54 pm

Zeno wrote:
Scase wrote:
Zeno wrote:Let’s say we keep the pick this year and draft Clingan and then at the draft trade Yak to GS for Wiggins, Moody and a top 6 protected 2025. Would you do that trade?

I would do that so fast GSWs entire FOs heads would spin.

I suspected you would have that reaction. So pretty obviously An overpay for the Warriors despite the Wiggins deal. So scaling their offer back a bit what is the latest protection you would still do the deal at? For me I still do it without Moody or with the pick top 10 protected. How about you?

I dont think I would be comfortable going any lower on the protections tbh. They are primed to be absolute dog water in the next couple seasons, if anything top 5 is generous. Curry is 36, Klay looks absolutely cooked, and Dray is useless without those 2, so their entire championship core is done and gone, which leaves them with a team of Moody, Podz, and Kuminga. That is potentially one of the worst teams in the west, which is almost guaranteed a top 4 pick, giving them anything better than top 5 protection almost all but guarantees it never conveys.

The idea is they bolster the core for one last hurrah, at the cost of their future, much like we did. I would sooner deal Brown etc to another team before taking on Wiggins for just Moody, cause a top 10 protected makes it just Moody, you'd never see that pick.
Props TZ!
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,844

Post#108 » by Zeno » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:43 pm

Scase wrote:
Zeno wrote:
Scase wrote:I would do that so fast GSWs entire FOs heads would spin.

I dont think I would be comfortable going any lower on the protections tbh. They are primed to be absolute dog water in the next couple seasons, if anything top 5 is generous. Curry is 36, Klay looks absolutely cooked, and Dray is useless without those 2, so their entire championship core is done and gone, which leaves them with a team of Moody, Podz, and Kuminga. That is potentially one of the worst teams in the west, which is almost guaranteed a top 4 pick, giving them anything better than top 5 protection almost all but guarantees it never conveys.

The idea is they bolster the core for one last hurrah, at the cost of their future, much like we did. I would sooner deal Brown etc to another team before taking on Wiggins for just Moody, cause a top 10 protected makes it just Moody, you'd never see that pick.

Yeah excellent point.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,324

Post#109 » by JB7 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:54 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
McDaniels,
Boucher

For

Paul,
Wiggins,
2025 FRP,
with theirs

I think Wiggins fits in nicely with the current roster, in terms of what it is missing - length and D on the wing. Plus he becomes the 4th scoring option.

The whole premise of the deal is the Raps would get him for a relatively low cost - just absorbing his deal.

To me the choice is between Wiggins, or Brown and GTJ, as both of them would need to be renounced to clear space for Wiggins contract (Brown being traded to GSW for Wiggins doesn't work because the team option on Brown's deal would need to be picked up, and GSW will want the cap space). I would rather the Raps have Wiggins than Brown and GTJ. And if the Raps can get out from under McDaniels contract and acquire a draft pick from GSW in the process, all the better.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,134

Post#110 » by MiamiSPX » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 pm

McDaniels,
Boucher

For

Paul,
Wiggins,
2025 FRP,
with theirs

I thought none of CP3's contract was guaranteed next season if they waive him by June 30th? I would be shocked if they didn't waive him. He will be 39 when next season starts, keeps missing more games than the previous season, and is completely washed up.
JB7
Analyst

Post#111 » by JB7 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:04 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
McDaniels,
Boucher

For

Paul,
Wiggins,
2025 FRP,
with theirs

I thought none of CP3's contract was guaranteed next season if they waive him by June 30th? I would be shocked if they didn't waive him. He will be 39 when next season starts, keeps missing more games than the previous season, and is completely washed up.

Yes the team option on Paul's deal is definitely not being picked up by GSW. I think Kerr even hinted at that, when he said he would like to see if they could get Paul to come back (meaning on a lower deal).

There was a comment Paul made about being away from his family for years now, but he saw them more this year. I guess they stayed in LA when he got traded to the Rockets. My guess is Paul signs with the Lakers to team up with LeBron.

Choice is now between Klay and Wiggins. If Klay wants something close to max, they probably let him walk and that gets them below the luxury tax. If Klay is willing to accept something much less than max, closer to what Wiggins and Dray make, they probably resign Klay and dump Wiggins.
MiamiSPX
Analyst

Post#112 » by MiamiSPX » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:09 pm

JB7 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
McDaniels,
Boucher

For

Paul,
Wiggins,
2025 FRP,
with theirs

Yes the team option on Paul's deal is definitely not being picked up by GSW. I think Kerr even hinted at that, when he said he would like to see if they could get Paul to come back (meaning on a lower deal).

There was a comment Paul made about being away from his family for years now, but he saw them more this year. I guess they stayed in LA when he got traded to the Rockets. My guess is Paul signs with the Lakers to team up with LeBron.

Choice is now between Klay and Wiggins. If Klay wants something close to max, they probably let him walk and that gets them below the luxury tax. If Klay is willing to accept something much less than max, closer to what Wiggins and Dray make, they probably resign Klay and dump Wiggins.

Choosing the lesser evil of 2 crappy options lol. Wiggins is more productive, but I know Klay obviously means more to that franchise. Ultimately if Curry wants Klay back, they have to sign him. Some GS fans say this is exactly why Myers left, he didn't want to deal with this inevitable mess.

Yes, I remember hearing that CP3's wife and kids stayed in the LA area after his trade from the Clippers and have remained there. He'll sign with any California-based team for the minimum IMO.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,646

Post#113 » by Psubs » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:09 pm

JB7 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
McDaniels,
Boucher

For

Paul,
Wiggins,
2025 FRP,
with theirs

Klay will go to the Lakers for the MLE.

GS is better off giving filling the roster with splitting the MLE in 2, BAE and Vet mins.
Scase
RealGM

Post#114 » by Scase » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

Psubs wrote:
JB7 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

GS is better off giving filling the roster with splitting the MLE in 2, BAE and Vet mins.

It's definitely a better option than giving Klay a fat deal, but it's still a bad option. They aren't going anywhere without any major moves, at this point I think it's either blow it up, or go all in. No half measures will result in anything but wasted time/money.
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#115 » by JB7 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:25 pm

Scase wrote:
Psubs wrote:
JB7 wrote:

It's definitely a better option than giving Klay a fat deal, but it's still a bad option. They aren't going anywhere without any major moves, at this point I think it's either blow it up, or go all in. No half measures will result in anything but wasted time/money.

Even if they could trade Kuminga, Moody, Podz and their picks for a star, what star is out there that could put GSW in chip contention again?

I think they are stuck with the half measures, because they are not going to trade Curry, which is the only way for a quicker rebuild.
MiamiSPX
Analyst

Post#116 » by MiamiSPX » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:32 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Even if they could trade Kuminga, Moody, Podz and their picks for a star, what star is out there that could put GSW in chip contention again?

I think they are stuck with the half measures, because they are not going to trade Curry, which is the only way for a quicker rebuild.

Then they need to trade Curry. Bring him home.

I AM joking.
Scase
RealGM

Post#117 » by Scase » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
Psubs wrote:

I agree, trading Curry is really the only option here. If they blow MLE etc money they arent winning anything, and even if they could trade for a star using the prospects, they likely arent a legit contender and they blew their potential rebuild.

But I have zero sympathy, I would happily trade our situation for theirs with 4 chips :lol:
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#118 » by JB7 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 pm

Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:It's definitely a better option than giving Klay a fat deal, but it's still a bad option. They aren't going anywhere without any major moves, at this point I think it's either blow it up, or go all in. No half measures will result in anything but wasted time/money.

I agree, trading Curry is really the only option here. If they blow MLE etc money they arent winning anything, and even if they could trade for a star using the prospects, they likely arent a legit contender and they blew their potential rebuild.

But I have zero sympathy, I would happily trade our situation for theirs with 4 chips :lol:

Setting aside the past, from where things stand now though, would you take GSW's situation over the Raps?

I would rather be in the Raps position going forward.
bobbyp3588
Senior
And1: 501

Post#119 » by bobbyp3588 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:

Setting aside the past, from where things stand now though, would you take GSW's situation over the Raps?

I would rather be in the Raps position going forward.

Clearly the Raps current future looks brighter. The point he was trying to make is that he’d happily accept the Dubs current situation over ours because they’ve arrived there as a Dynasty and have the memories of 4 recent ‘Ships to lull fans to sleep after hard days.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,081

Post#120 » by mihaic » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:51 pm

Mak wrote:
mihaic wrote:

Curry / Payton
Podziemski / Moody
Wiggins
Green / Kuminga
Jackson-Davis / Looney

They were a lottery team with Klay and Paul so whats the difference.

Exactly my point. So bringing back Klay doesn't make sense at all, unless he is super cheap to allow MLE as well and stay under the tax. I really doubt they will go lux tax again, they are repeat offenders and their core is no longer contender.

The only reason to bring back Clay or Paul with expensive contracts would be for trading, in my opinion.

Return to Toronto Raptors