ImageImageImageImageImage

GSW - TOR: Warriors salary dump while staying competitive

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,511

Re: GSW - TOR: Warriors salary dump while staying competitive 

Post#61 » by ForeverTFC » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:30 am

TorontoBaller wrote:
I’m in! 100%

Would golden state go for it?
It confuses me that people are suggesting his isn’t a clear raps victory, but I’m probly missins something.

IQ @25m, Scottie @35m, RJ @27m, Wiggins @28m and Jakob @20m equals to a starting 5 making $135m in ‘25. Cap will probably be a ~$150m that year which would put the tax line at ~$180m. So $45m to fill out the roster. Between Kelly, Gradey and the 2 first rounders we have over the next 2 years, that’s another $25-$30m. Moody extension probably puts you right at the tax line, costs you Gary and Agbaji and leaves you with a clear hole in the back court and not enough 3pt shooting on the roster.

You’d want more than 2 seconds to handcuff yourself like this for a couple years.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,580

Post#62 » by Mak » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:00 am

Warriors might get out of their cap hell just by not resigning Klay and letting Paul go.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#63 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:15 pm

Mak wrote:Warriors might get out of their cap hell just by not resigning Klay and letting Paul go.

That is a possibility. I don't think that would go over well with Draymond and Curry, assuming Klay wants to return to GS.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,627

Post#64 » by dTox » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:51 pm

Eww, I want nothing to do with Wiggins

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
TBZ for the win
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,902

Post#65 » by Merit » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:06 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:I’d like to find a way to get Moody but no thanks to Wiggins. He just can’t seem to get his head/heart back in the game like he did during the Warriors last chip run with whatever he’s got going on personally.

If you bring him home that distraction will only likely get worse so that’s a no thanks.

Or he may be closer to home and be able to be more present, thereby lessening the distraction.

Since we collectively know nothing about his situation it’s probably also best not to assume. I’ve gone through some tough situations where I was far from peak me and unless you try something you never know what works. Fortunately wiggins has enough athletic upside moving forward despite his age and has demonstrated scoring ability in the past. Those two factors make it easier to bet on a return to form or at the worst, a decline into the role we have projected for him anyway.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,902

Post#66 » by Merit » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:09 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
TorontoBarneys wrote:Acquiring Wiggins is absolutely insane. :lol:

It's dampened my evening even contemplating the team trying to acquire Wiggins. Though maybe he turns things around and plays well here, I don't even really know what his issues are.

And that’s the point. If we don’t know, we should probably refrain from commenting. If this trade comes to pass, I’m going to assume that the front office has a better understanding of what is happening with wigs and the type of support he needs. Unlike other assumptions, that one is more likely to stand up to scrutiny.
I believe in Masai.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,138

Post#67 » by MiamiSPX » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:34 pm

Merit wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:

It's dampened my evening even contemplating the team trying to acquire Wiggins. Though maybe he turns things around and plays well here, I don't even really know what his issues are.

And that’s the point. If we don’t know, we should probably refrain from commenting. If this trade comes to pass, I’m going to assume that the front office has a better understanding of what is happening with wigs and the type of support he needs. Unlike other assumptions, that one is more likely to stand up to scrutiny.

Are we in the business of winning basketball games, or trying to be compassionate to players solely because they are Canadian? Not to sound heartless because whatever he is going through must be bad, but that is not the Raptors' problem so why would they make it so?

I am not against taking on Wiggins or even someone like CJ McCollum BUT only if we are paid handsomely for it. I agree with your earlier post that says we need to make moves like this. My only contention is that you are making it sound like Wiggins is the actual prize of any such trade, when in reality it would be whatever assets we are paid for taking his contract. His numbers are awful and his best seasons always strangely coincide with it being a contract year.

Didn't the Wolves owner publicly question whether giving Wiggins a max contract might make him dog it afterwards? He gave in and maxed him and then Wiggins went out and did exactly what the owner suggested would happen lol. There have always been questions about his work ethic and effort level.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,324

Post#68 » by JB7 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:34 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Mak wrote:Warriors might get out of their cap hell just by not resigning Klay and letting Paul go.

That is a possibility. I don't think that would go over well with Draymond and Curry, assuming Klay wants to return to GS.

It depends on what Klay thinks his actual value is, and whether GSW values Klay over Wiggins.

If Klay thinks he is worth closer to the max, and no where near what Dray/Wiggins are getting paid, then he probably leaves in FA (Magic might be dumb enough to toss him a huge contract). But if he is willing to accept something closer to what Dray/Wiggins are getting paid, he probably resigns, and they look to dump Wiggins.

After going 0/10 in a one game do or die, I hope Klay's expectations of his game are more realistic.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#69 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:39 pm

JB7 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

It depends on what Klay thinks his actual value is, and whether GSW values Klay over Wiggins.

If Klay thinks he is worth closer to the max, and no where near what Dray/Wiggins are getting paid, then he probably leaves in FA (Magic might be dumb enough to toss him a huge contract). But if he is willing to accept something closer to what Dray/Wiggins are getting paid, he probably resigns, and they look to dump Wiggins.

After going 0/10 in a one game do or die, I hope Klay's expectations of his game are more realistic.

I think years are going to be the sticking point, but that is purely my opinion.

Curry has 2 years left.
Draymond 2 with a PO 3rd.

I'm sure Warriors are going to be tying Klay to the other 2. Warriors likely offering 2, Klay wants 4. Will they meet on 2 plus a PO?
JB7
Analyst

Post#70 » by JB7 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:42 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
Merit wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:

Are we in the business of winning basketball games, or trying to be compassionate to players solely because they are Canadian? Not to sound heartless because whatever he is going through must be bad, but that is not the Raptors' problem so why would they make it so?

I am not against taking on Wiggins or even someone like CJ McCollum BUT only if we are paid handsomely for it. I agree with your earlier post that says we need to make moves like this. My only contention is that you are making it sound like Wiggins is the actual prize of any such trade, when in reality it would be whatever assets we are paid for taking his contract. His numbers are awful and his best seasons always strangely coincide with it being a contract year.

Didn't the Wolves owner publicly question whether giving Wiggins a max contract might make him dog it afterwards? He gave in and maxed him and then Wiggins went out and did exactly what the owner suggested would happen lol. There have always been questions about his work ethic and effort level.

Wiggins current contract is not that bad. He is making what RJ makes, but keep in mind, that is RJ's 2nd contract, while for Wiggins it is the last contract covering his prime years. Plus, the Raps have plenty of room to absorb that contract and still pay players. The best thing about his contract is it expires the same year as the contracts for RJ, Yak and Dick.

I think Wiggins could be the prize in the deal. He is exactly what the Raps are missing. Length, athleticism and D on the wing. We traded much of it this past season. Plus, he'll be the 4th option on O, just like in GSW, which has worked better for Wiggins.

The Canadian angle is, maybe playing back home motivates him more to perform, especially through the last years of his prime. Also, most teams won't want to take on Wiggins because they'll be worried about how motivated he is, but if playing back home motivates him, then the that is a huge advantage for the Raps, because the options for GSW to deal Wiggins will be significantly narrowed.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,708

Post#71 » by Pointgod » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:43 pm

Scase wrote:Taking on wiggins is a FRP in in itself. Wiggins' contract, is what people thought/said RJs was. Why would we take on a prospect (good) salary filler in payton (bad), and 2 crappy picks, for wiggins' awful contract?

I'd rather waive McD and let BB expire than this crap.

Yup. First for Wiggins or bust. We missed the boat on Bruce Brown so we’ll probably have to settle for seconds from any other team.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,138

Post#72 » by MiamiSPX » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:55 pm

JB7 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
Merit wrote:

Wiggins current contract is not that bad. He is making what RJ makes, but keep in mind, that is RJ's 2nd contract, while for Wiggins it is the last contract covering his prime years. Plus, the Raps have plenty of room to absorb that contract and still pay players. The best thing about his contract is it expires the same year as the contracts for RJ, Yak and Dick.

I think Wiggins could be the prize in the deal. He is exactly what the Raps are missing. Length, athleticism and D on the wing. We traded much of it this past season. Plus, he'll be the 4th option on O, just like in GSW, which has worked better for Wiggins.

The Canadian angle is, maybe playing back home motivates him more to perform, especially through the last years of his prime. Also, most teams won't want to take on Wiggins because they'll be worried about how motivated he is, but if playing back home motivates him, then the that is a huge advantage for the Raps, because the options for GSW to deal Wiggins will be significantly narrowed.

Do we even know that he would like to play in Toronto? He seemingly has no interest in playing for the NT, and he's coming up on almost half of his life being spent in the U.S. If I remember correctly, I once read that most of his siblings are also scattered across the U.S.
JB7
Analyst

Post#73 » by JB7 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:59 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
JB7 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

Do we even know that he would like to play in Toronto? He seemingly has no interest in playing for the NT, and he's coming up on almost half of his life being spent in the U.S. If I remember correctly, I once read that most of his siblings are also scattered across the U.S.

If that is not a motivation for him, then they don't deal for him. Simple. And I would imagine Raps FO would have some idea about that, or could possibly have conversations with him, with GSW's approval.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,324

Post#74 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:03 pm

Merit wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:I’d like to find a way to get Moody but no thanks to Wiggins. He just can’t seem to get his head/heart back in the game like he did during the Warriors last chip run with whatever he’s got going on personally.

If you bring him home that distraction will only likely get worse so that’s a no thanks.

Or he may be closer to home and be able to be more present, thereby lessening the distraction.

Since we collectively know nothing about his situation it’s probably also best not to assume. I’ve gone through some tough situations where I was far from peak me and unless you try something you never know what works. Fortunately wiggins has enough athletic upside moving forward despite his age and has demonstrated scoring ability in the past. Those two factors make it easier to bet on a return to form or at the worst, a decline into the role we have projected for him anyway.

All your comments on his personal stuff is fair but I still wouldn’t like to bring Wiggins here because personally I’m hopeful we keep our pick and draft a wing. Its already gonna be tough with RJ to try and find a way to get Gradey into the starting lineup over the next couple of years, bring in Wiggins and it’s gonna be damn near impossible with his contract and of course “hometown hero” element.

I just think his presence will hinder Gradey and our future pick (Darko already hinted at adding length defensively) from developing and forcing to have 2 bad shooters in the starting lineup. All the while with a mystery box on what version of him will you get but the last 2 years says don’t get your hopes up.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
JB7
Analyst

Post#75 » by JB7 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:11 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
Merit wrote:

All your comments on his personal stuff is fair but I still wouldn’t like to bring Wiggins here because personally I’m hopeful we keep our pick and draft a wing. Its already gonna be tough with RJ to try and find a way to get Gradey into the starting lineup over the next couple of years, bring in Wiggins and it’s gonna be damn near impossible with his contract and of course “hometown hero” element.

I just think his presence will hinder Gradey and our future pick (Darko already hinted at adding length defensively) from developing and forcing to have 2 bad shooters in the starting lineup. All the while with a mystery box on what version of him will you get but the last 2 years says don’t get your hopes up.

I actually look at it from the opposite end. Bringing in Wiggins to start means Gradey and whomever they draft, are not rushed into the starting line, are allowed to develop gradually, with lower expectations. Darko can bring Gradey into the game for moments that would be best for his development, rather than force feeding him minutes.

Wiggins is also not the type of player to demand minutes or touches, and I would not expect him to be here beyond his current contract, so he wouldn't be a stumbling block to Gradey's development, and future insertion into the starting lineup, if he proves capable.
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,174

Post#76 » by TorontoBarneys » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:17 pm

Merit wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:

Your sig says it all. You know very little about basketball.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,330

Post#77 » by pilkoids » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:42 pm

Reminser that half this board is waiting to see what Bruce Brown gets us before rolling out the guillotine.

Sent from my SM-S918W using RealGM mobile app
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,884

Post#78 » by agkagk » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:36 pm

Is there a feasible kitchen sink offer for kuminga?

Id imagine they only trade him for a star.

Brown + picks + a third team?

Idk i just want kuminga

Barrett quick kuminga barnes jakob

Kelly, dick, veteran free agent pg

That could be a fourth seed next season.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#79 » by Scase » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:16 pm

JB7 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
JB7 wrote:

If that is not a motivation for him, then they don't deal for him. Simple. And I would imagine Raps FO would have some idea about that, or could possibly have conversations with him, with GSW's approval.

Players lie, Wiggins has never shown any indication that he loves basketball, and has always seen to be there for the paycheck (no hate on that at all), MIN extended him and he started playing like crap. I don't think we want to trade for players like that, he was only held in check by the team and HoF players he was surrounded by. He will not have that here.

Maybe he would love it here, but I think taking a pretty big risk on a bunch of maybes, just for Moody isn't really worth it. Granted, if we plan to tank next year, then sure, pick him up we aren't trying to win anyways, eat the contract. By the time we are ready to turn the page, he'll be an expiring.
Props TZ!
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,119

Post#80 » by tecumseh18 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:14 pm

I don't mind the concept, because we need a big wing defender and we don't need cap space until the summer of 2027, when Wiggins' deal expires. His expiring could be a useful trade chip at the 2026-27 deadline.

But it has to be worth it for us. Especially if the plan is to clear cap space to bring him in with little going back to the Warriors (except McDaniels for sure). Moody is absolutely not enough to save the Warriors, what, $200 mill in tax over the life of the contract.

Return to Toronto Raptors