ImageImageImageImageImage

GSW - TOR: Warriors salary dump while staying competitive

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,765

GSW - TOR: Warriors salary dump while staying competitive 

Post#1 » by MessiahUjiri » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:28 pm

Supporting thesis: The Warriors are going to aggressively cut salary next season, while looking to stay competitive. The Raptors will dangle Bruce Brown, and will be willing to take back salary using their Siakam trade exception ($10M) as they accumulate assets. Wiggins probably needs a fresh start at this point, and Toronto is home.

Supporting context:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/warriors-offseason-plan-1a-is-to-avoid-luxury-tax-entirely-owner-joe-lacob-says/

The Warriors are still in win-now mode, but ownership is hoping to do so on a somewhat more affordable budget next season. Most fans have assumed, at the very least, that the team would try to find a way beneath the new second apron before penalties for exceeding it start to kick in next season. Warriors governor Joe Lacob appeared on The TK Show with The Athletic's Tim Kawakami, and he indicated that while nothing is set in stone, he'd like to go even further. In a perfect world, Golden State would duck the luxury tax entirely next season.

"Our Plan 1, or 1A, is that we'd like to be out of the tax, and we think that we have a way to do that," Lacob explained. "That kind of is the plan, not just under the second apron. I'll tell you why that's important because the truth is, we need to be out of the tax two years out of the next four in order to get this repeater thing off our books. We don't want to be a repeater. It's just so prohibitive, not to say we wouldn't do it if we had to, but you've gotta look at what the downside is to doing that. So, that's the plan, is to try to do that, and we think we can keep our team together and retain even the players that are, we might be able to bring players back at different numbers and so on."

To be done as 2 separate trades:

Bruce Brown, Jalen McDaniels, TPE $10M
for
Wiggins, Moody, Payton, 2 ATL 2nds (‘26 & ‘28)
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,578

Re: GSW - TOR: Warriors salary dump while staying competitive 

Post#2 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:34 pm

Nah
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,022

Post#3 » by DelAbbot » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:35 pm

Upvote for the creativity but that return is vomit inducing
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,405

Post#4 » by TimeForChange » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:41 pm

don't want wiggins
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,649

Post#5 » by sbsat » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:42 pm

No one should want any part of wiggins in this side
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,898

Post#6 » by Merit » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:45 pm

Wiggins is better than brown and I’m in it for the story. Solves our depth and Wigs is young enough for this to work. If we don’t do something else that’s creative with the cap space I’m not averse to this idea.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,898

Post#7 » by Merit » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:46 pm

DelAbbot wrote:Upvote for the creativity but that return is vomit inducing

Moody and Payton Jr. and two seconds and Wiggins? Like - what more are you hoping for with an expiring contract.
I believe in Masai.
planetmars
Sixth Man
And1: 1,437

Post#8 » by planetmars » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:52 pm

If the Warriors include their 2025 pick then I'd trade Brown for Wiggins. Otherwise I pass.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#9 » by bboyskinnylegs » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:58 pm

I don't see why we'd help the Warriors out of the ridiculous cap situation they are in. There would need to be serious incentive involved to get us to accept Wiggins in a deal. I don't see a trade to be made.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,297

Post#10 » by Scase » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:59 pm

Taking on wiggins is a FRP in in itself. Wiggins' contract, is what people thought/said RJs was. Why would we take on a prospect (good) salary filler in payton (bad), and 2 crappy picks, for wiggins' awful contract?

I'd rather waive McD and let BB expire than this crap.
Props TZ!
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#11 » by anotherhomer » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:09 pm

MessiahUjiri wrote:Supporting thesis: The Warriors are going to aggressively cut salary next season, while looking to stay competitive. The Raptors will dangle Bruce Brown, and will be willing to take back salary using their Siakam trade exception ($10M) as they accumulate assets. Wiggins probably needs a fresh start at this point, and Toronto is home.

Supporting context:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/warriors-offseason-plan-1a-is-to-avoid-luxury-tax-entirely-owner-joe-lacob-says/

The Warriors are still in win-now mode, but ownership is hoping to do so on a somewhat more affordable budget next season. Most fans have assumed, at the very least, that the team would try to find a way beneath the new second apron before penalties for exceeding it start to kick in next season. Warriors governor Joe Lacob appeared on The TK Show with The Athletic's Tim Kawakami, and he indicated that while nothing is set in stone, he'd like to go even further. In a perfect world, Golden State would duck the luxury tax entirely next season.

"Our Plan 1, or 1A, is that we'd like to be out of the tax, and we think that we have a way to do that," Lacob explained. "That kind of is the plan, not just under the second apron. I'll tell you why that's important because the truth is, we need to be out of the tax two years out of the next four in order to get this repeater thing off our books. We don't want to be a repeater. It's just so prohibitive, not to say we wouldn't do it if we had to, but you've gotta look at what the downside is to doing that. So, that's the plan, is to try to do that, and we think we can keep our team together and retain even the players that are, we might be able to bring players back at different numbers and so on."

for

It's not a bad trade....we do need a wing that can defend

I would take out Payton and put in brown and mcdaniels for Wiggins

I doubt warriors would give up moses Moody tho
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#12 » by DreamTeam09 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:16 pm

GS & Toronto should make a deal and the parameters should be around that. I'd want

Wiggins + Moody + 1st
For
Brown + McDaniels

I want no parts of GP2. I'd settle for the two 2nds as moody is the real prize here.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
DreamTeam09
RealGM

Post#13 » by DreamTeam09 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:22 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:Supporting thesis: The Warriors are going to aggressively cut salary next season, while looking to stay competitive. The Raptors will dangle Bruce Brown, and will be willing to take back salary using their Siakam trade exception ($10M) as they accumulate assets. Wiggins probably needs a fresh start at this point, and Toronto is home.

Supporting context:

for

It's not a bad trade....we do need a wing that can defend

I would take out Payton and put in brown and mcdaniels for Wiggins

I doubt warriors would give up moses Moody tho

They have to give something up to get off of Wiggins contract that has 3 more yrs. We're probably the only team willing to take the on right now. A 1st or Moody will have to be attached, maybe both. They still have kuminga, podz, and TJD to develop too.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#14 » by Badonkadonk » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:29 pm

I like the thesis, however I'd rather stand pat than take on Wiggins brutal contract.

Moody, Payton and the 2nds aren't nearly enough to make up for that albatross.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,763

Post#15 » by ArthurVandelay » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:32 pm

Does anyone know where Wiggins dad is living these days? Is he in the GTA?
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,502

Post#16 » by Brinbe » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:43 pm

Wiggins has played better recently but that contract is tough and I think is something better avoided right now in their current situation.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,471

Post#17 » by mtcan » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:53 pm

I want Wiggins nowhere close to our young guys.

We want positive influences. Wiggins is just so hot and cold and really that's unacceptable for a former #1 pick.

I was remarking on how Wemby has such a competitive edge and wants to be the best.

How many former #1 picks have issues with motivation and entitlement? From recent memory I can can come up with:
Andrew Wiggins (all the natural gifts...no motor)
Zion Williamson (criticism on his weight and eating)
Ben Simmons (would it kill you to learn how to shoot?)
DeAndre Ayton (Luka definitely better but still....)
Andrea Bargnani
Michael Olowakandi (what a waste of a pick)
Anthony Bennett (probably just the wrong pick but still)

Paolo looks legit
Anthony Edwards is legit
Cade is probably going to be worth a #1...maybe?
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,102

Post#18 » by MiamiSPX » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:55 pm

There are many red flags with Wiggins that I am certain some of you ignore simply because he's Canadian.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,022

Post#19 » by DelAbbot » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:02 am

Wiggins went to the same HS as me
DreamTeam09
RealGM

Post#20 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:03 am

MiamiSPX wrote:There are many red flags with Wiggins that I am certain some of you ignore simply because he's Canadian.

Or maybe it's the personal issues related to family issues.

In Raptor Ball I Trust

Return to Toronto Raptors