ImageImageImageImageImage

GSW - TOR: Warriors salary dump while staying competitive

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,578

Re: GSW - TOR: Warriors salary dump while staying competitive 

Post#121 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:21 pm

Sign me up for Wiggins at his low value simply because he will come with additional assets. Not saying he will have the exact same turnaround as RJ but we do need a wing defender and that's exactly what he can provide. It's not like we're going to give up anything of long term value or ruining our chance at making a bigger move because of this trade.

Bruce Brown + McDaniels for Wiggins + 1st round pick + 2nd round pick.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,327

Post#122 » by JB7 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:21 pm

mihaic wrote:
Mak wrote:
mihaic wrote:That's a lottery team though unless Lebron joins for minimum.

They were a lottery team with Klay and Paul so whats the difference.

Exactly my point. So bringing back Klay doesn't make sense at all, unless he is super cheap to allow MLE as well and stay under the tax. I really doubt they will go lux tax again, they are repeat offenders and their core is no longer contender.

The only reason to bring back Clay or Paul with expensive contracts would be for trading, in my opinion.

Retaining Klay makes sense if they are trying to keep Curry happy.

GSW is probably concerned with keeping Curry happy first (which includes Dray and Klay), and then worrying about how to pay the young guys (Kuminga & Moody) who are extension eligible this summer.
Rainman66
Pro Prospect
And1: 106

Post#123 » by Rainman66 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:43 pm

Easy pass on wiggins but could raptors make a run at Steph going into 25/26 season? GSW may choose to enter rebuild sooner than later, while raptors are looking to compete within the next year or 2.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#124 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:49 pm

Rainman66 wrote:Easy pass on wiggins but could raptors make a run at Steph going into 25/26 season? GSW may choose to enter rebuild sooner than later, while raptors are looking to compete within the next year or 2.

Steph's gonna be 38 or so by then, not to mention I doubt we'd be anywhere near being desirable for a guy like him to come here at that stage lol.
youreachiteach
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#125 » by youreachiteach » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:49 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:Sign me up for Wiggins at his low value simply because he will come with additional assets. Not saying he will have the exact same turnaround as RJ but we do need a wing defender and that's exactly what he can provide. It's not like we're going to give up anything of long term value or ruining our chance at making a bigger move because of this trade.

This was my thought. I checked it on Fanspo last night. It's doable. The team can re-up Brown and then trade him. It's one semi-playable player and one totally unplayable player for a useful starter so Scottie doesn't have to play out of position and we have a chance to defend decently.

I mean, from an asset standpoint, yes his contract skews to "bad" but not in terms of his talent. With the cap rising and it only bein three years at his age it's hardly a cap disaster. He doesn't even have to be "good Wiggins" for this to be worth it. Plus, doesn't he always play well here because of his connections? I would be frankly surprised if he doesn't at least play a bit better, simply for personal pride's sake.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#126 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 pm

youreachiteach wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Sign me up for Wiggins at his low value simply because he will come with additional assets. Not saying he will have the exact same turnaround as RJ but we do need a wing defender and that's exactly what he can provide. It's not like we're going to give up anything of long term value or ruining our chance at making a bigger move because of this trade.

This was my thought. I checked it on Fanspo last night. It's doable. The team can re-up Brown and then trade him. It's one semi-playable player and one totally unplayable player for a useful starter so Scottie doesn't have to play out of position and we have a chance to defend decently.

I mean, from an asset standpoint, yes his contract skews to "bad" but not in terms of his talent. With the cap rising and it only bein three years at his age it's hardly a cap disaster. He doesn't even have to be "good Wiggins" for this to be worth it. Plus, doesn't he always play well here because of his connections? I would be frankly surprised if he doesn't at least play a bit better, simply for personal pride's sake.

It's worked great for RJ who was seen as a "toxic" contract just like Wiggins is now. Difference is that Wiggins has shown he doesn't give 2 craps about basketball unless it's a contract year lol.

Maybe being back in Toronto can help considering he supposedly had some big family stuff going on and he'd be close to home to deal with that stuff. Like you said though, we don't even need an amazing Wiggins for the trade to be worth it.

IQ/ drafted player or free agent
RJ/ Dick
Wiggins/ Ochai
Barnes/ Olynyk
Poeltl/ drafted player or free agent
youreachiteach
Veteran

Post#127 » by youreachiteach » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:02 pm

It also takes the pressure off of guys like Agbaji, who will probably improve but will have limited exposure on the bench with Dick and Olynyk, They really only need a shot-blocking big and and backup point--which they should be able to draft/get on the market for reasonable cheap.
youreachiteach
Veteran

Post#128 » by youreachiteach » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 pm

Goga Bitadze of the Magic only had a 2 million dollar salary last year and was the starting for them almost half the year. Frankly, they played better without Wendell Carter Jr because he is so porous defensively (despite his necessity for his shooting--he's basically Kelly O with a little better athleticism.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#129 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:11 pm

youreachiteach wrote:Goga Bitadze of the Magic only had a 2 million dollar salary last year and was the starting for them almost half the year. Frankly, they played better without Wendell Carter Jr because he is so porous defensively (despite his necessity for his shooting--he's basically Kelly O with a little better athleticism.

Yup... there are so many damn Centers available so it's annoying how we can't get any. Jason Hayes was had by the Lakers for practically nothing. Sims is the 4th C on the Knicks.

Jalen Smith from the Pacers is the guy who I have my eyes on though. He's a free agent and the Pacers won't be able to keep everyone. He probably should have been part of the Siakam trade but whatever, no need to keep crying there lol. He has the ability to shoot the 3 while being good enough shot blocker/rebounder from the backup spot.
youreachiteach
Veteran

Post#130 » by youreachiteach » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:43 pm

Yeah, I'm not as hot on him because I don't think he shot blocks well enough and we will need someone who is really good/elite at it, not just passable. We have Kelly already. We don't need another shooting big. If we wanted him, we probably could have got him in Siakam trade. Bitadze is perfect. He even shot some threes early in the year!
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#131 » by Scase » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:50 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Even if they could trade Kuminga, Moody, Podz and their picks for a star, what star is out there that could put GSW in chip contention again?

I think they are stuck with the half measures, because they are not going to trade Curry, which is the only way for a quicker rebuild.

I agree, trading Curry is really the only option here. If they blow MLE etc money they arent winning anything, and even if they could trade for a star using the prospects, they likely arent a legit contender and they blew their potential rebuild.

But I have zero sympathy, I would happily trade our situation for theirs with 4 chips :lol:

Setting aside the past, from where things stand now though, would you take GSW's situation over the Raps?

I would rather be in the Raps position going forward.

Pretty much what bobbyp3588 said, taking into account 4 chips, nope I wouldn't. Ignoring chips, I'd definitely pick us. Hell, I'd still pick us even if we only had Scottie compared to Kuminga/Podz/Moody.
Props TZ!
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,905

Post#132 » by Merit » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:29 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
Merit wrote:
I think we would be discussing it if he wasn’t Canadian, but the storyline wouldn’t be as appealing. Is wiggins the only choice? No. If the Raps get someone better - all good. Would I rather have wiggins than GTJ? Absolutely. Would it be cool if we had both for depth reasons? For sure.

If I’ve learned anything about the Raptors it’s that they are all about value. I believe wiggins contract expires when Scottie is due for a raise. He can take a hometown discount or leave.

Masai identified backup PG, a wing defender and a backup big as targets. All could come via the draft, but Wiggins redemption arc in Toronto is a storyline worth considering.

Gotta admit, the RJ turnaround makes this seem more enticing (as long as Warriors give us Moody AND a pick). Perhaps there's something about home cooking that helps Toronto-area athletes.

I asked previously, but no response. I’ll try again…

Does anyone know where his dad is living these days? Is he in the GTA?

I thought I heard his family had moved to Minny after he was drafted.

Reason I ask is because if the leaves of absence are related to his dad, being close to his dad full time might eliminate those leaves. Plus being close to him would take a weight off his mind. But if his dad isn’t in the GTA, then that idea/thinking is for naught.

You have more info than I do - but your line of thinking makes a world of sense. He could always bring his dad back with him though, especially since being a millionaire athlete makes relocations less challenging than for average folks.
I believe in Masai.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,327

Post#133 » by JB7 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:33 pm

Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:I agree, trading Curry is really the only option here. If they blow MLE etc money they arent winning anything, and even if they could trade for a star using the prospects, they likely arent a legit contender and they blew their potential rebuild.

But I have zero sympathy, I would happily trade our situation for theirs with 4 chips :lol:

Setting aside the past, from where things stand now though, would you take GSW's situation over the Raps?

Pretty much what bobbyp3588 said, taking into account 4 chips, nope I wouldn't. Ignoring chips, I'd definitely pick us. Hell, I'd still pick us even if we only had Scottie compared to Kuminga/Podz/Moody.

Something to be happy about. Raps future looks brighter than the Warriors. :D
Scase
RealGM

Post#134 » by Scase » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:11 am

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:

Something to be happy about. Raps future looks brighter than the Warriors. :D

With totally no difference at all....
Props TZ!
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,683

Post#135 » by C_Money » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:28 am

I’d like to see us use cap space for the first time in forever. Just decline Bruce Brown’s team option.
Scase
RealGM

Post#136 » by Scase » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:08 am

C_Money wrote:I’d like to see us use cap space for the first time in forever. Just decline Bruce Brown’s team option.

In theory I agree, but in practice, Masai suuuuuucks at using cap space.
Props TZ!
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,582

Post#137 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:33 am

C_Money wrote:I’d like to see us use cap space for the first time in forever. Just decline Bruce Brown’s team option.

For who? Only Monk or Claxton makes sense

In Raptor Ball I Trust
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,775

Post#138 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:28 am

Scase wrote:

In theory I agree, but in practice, Masai suuuuuucks at using cap space.

Should stick to trades with the cap space
F22_Raptor
Sixth Man
And1: 3,499

Post#139 » by F22_Raptor » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:00 pm

If this happens, then technically #tankforwiggins came into existence.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,223

Post#140 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

They can not re-sign Klay and waive Paul and their cap woes are done. We don’t have the kind of leverage to get the extra picks and all that.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.

Return to Toronto Raptors