ImageImageImageImageImage

GSW - TOR: Warriors salary dump while staying competitive

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,133

Re: GSW - TOR: Warriors salary dump while staying competitive 

Post#81 » by MiamiSPX » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:23 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:I don't mind the concept, because we need a big wing defender and we don't need cap space until the summer of 2027, when Wiggins' deal expires. His expiring could be a useful trade chip at the 2026-27 deadline.

But it has to be worth it for us. Especially if the plan is to clear cap space to bring him in with little going back to the Warriors (except McDaniels for sure). Moody is absolutely not enough to save the Warriors, what, $200 mill in tax over the life of the contract.

Exactly this. I am not against it as long as GS pays us for this, and pays us bigtime. Moving Wiggins benefits GS way, way, way more than it benefits the Raptors.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#82 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:57 pm

If Wiggins wasn't Canadian would we even be discussing this?

I am not against the idea of taking on bad salary in exchange for assets, but Moody and a pair of seconds for three more years of Wiggins at 26, 28, and 30m isn't exactly the most enticing offer or best use of expiring contracts and future cap space.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#83 » by Scase » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:14 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:If Wiggins wasn't Canadian would we even be discussing this?

I am not against the idea of taking on bad salary in exchange for assets, but Moody and a pair of seconds for three more years of Wiggins at 26, 28, and 30m isn't exactly the most enticing offer or best use of expiring contracts and future cap space.

I was mentioning earlier that Wiggins alone is a FRP, Moody isn't enough. I wonder with them being embarrassed by the Kings if they are a bit more desperate.

At a 2026 FRP top 5 protected, and it's worth it. Especially since he's likely an expiring by the time we truly want to compete.
Props TZ!
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,902

Post#84 » by Merit » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:43 am

TorontoBarneys wrote:
Merit wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
It's dampened my evening even contemplating the team trying to acquire Wiggins. Though maybe he turns things around and plays well here, I don't even really know what his issues are.

And that’s the point. If we don’t know, we should probably refrain from commenting. If this trade comes to pass, I’m going to assume that the front office has a better understanding of what is happening with wigs and the type of support he needs. Unlike other assumptions, that one is more likely to stand up to scrutiny.

Your sig says it all. You know very little about basketball.

First you make a comment about nothing. Then you resort to personal attacks. Why don’t you instead choose to explain why my perspective is one you disagree with? Bring some stats and evidence too.

Yeah, I do believe in Masai. He brought us a chip. Only thing you’re bringing is a hot take with no substance.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,902

Post#85 » by Merit » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:46 am

Morris_Shatford wrote:If Wiggins wasn't Canadian would we even be discussing this?

I think we would be discussing it if he wasn’t Canadian, but the storyline wouldn’t be as appealing. Is wiggins the only choice? No. If the Raps get someone better - all good. Would I rather have wiggins than GTJ? Absolutely. Would it be cool if we had both for depth reasons? For sure.

If I’ve learned anything about the Raptors it’s that they are all about value. I believe wiggins contract expires when Scottie is due for a raise. He can take a hometown discount or leave.

Masai identified backup PG, a wing defender and a backup big as targets. All could come via the draft, but Wiggins redemption arc in Toronto is a storyline worth considering.
I believe in Masai.
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,049

Post#86 » by Drakeem » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:26 pm

Yes? He's still wing depth, and we get a decent 3 and D prospect along with some second rounders we can add as a sweetner for a deal. Not saying we should take it, but I don't think it's not worth a thought.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,114

Post#87 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm

Merit wrote:

I think we would be discussing it if he wasn’t Canadian, but the storyline wouldn’t be as appealing. Is wiggins the only choice? No. If the Raps get someone better - all good. Would I rather have wiggins than GTJ? Absolutely. Would it be cool if we had both for depth reasons? For sure.

If I’ve learned anything about the Raptors it’s that they are all about value. I believe wiggins contract expires when Scottie is due for a raise. He can take a hometown discount or leave.

Masai identified backup PG, a wing defender and a backup big as targets. All could come via the draft, but Wiggins redemption arc in Toronto is a storyline worth considering.

Gotta admit, the RJ turnaround makes this seem more enticing (as long as Warriors give us Moody AND a FRP). Perhaps there's something about home cooking that helps Toronto-area athletes.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#88 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:33 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Merit wrote:

Gotta admit, the RJ turnaround makes this seem more enticing (as long as Warriors give us Moody AND a pick). Perhaps there's something about home cooking that helps Toronto-area athletes.

I asked previously, but no response. I’ll try again…

Does anyone know where his dad is living these days? Is he in the GTA?

I thought I heard his family had moved to Minny after he was drafted.

Reason I ask is because if the leaves of absence are related to his dad, being close to his dad full time might eliminate those leaves. Plus being close to him would take a weight off his mind. But if his dad isn’t in the GTA, then that idea/thinking is for naught.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,394

Post#89 » by tdotrep2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:34 pm

If we could get wiggins + moody for the detroit pick I'd do it... not sure if the warriors would tho.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#90 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:39 pm

Drakeem wrote:

Yes? He's still wing depth, and we get a decent 3 and D prospect along with some second rounders we can add as a sweetner for a deal. Not saying we should take it, but I don't think it's not worth a thought.

I am not particularly oppose to Wiggins, I just think the value is unappealing.

Lets take the "who" out for a second;
In this scenario the Raps are taking on around 86m in salary over three years in the face of a punishing CBA for teams over the tax and are getting a prospect you get for a season before you have to pay or walk away from, and a pair a seconds.

I am simply saying that if the Raps are looking to take on that sort long term salary on contract(s) that aren't exactly great, I feel like we could likely do better than a prospect with a year left on his rookie deal and some seconds.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,578

Post#91 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:57 pm

GS cannot aggregate salary with another player.
All deals would have to be one for one, they would have to attach picks to get off of salary.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,171

Post#92 » by HiJiNX » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:50 pm

TorontoBarneys wrote:
Merit wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
It's dampened my evening even contemplating the team trying to acquire Wiggins. Though maybe he turns things around and plays well here, I don't even really know what his issues are.

And that’s the point. If we don’t know, we should probably refrain from commenting. If this trade comes to pass, I’m going to assume that the front office has a better understanding of what is happening with wigs and the type of support he needs. Unlike other assumptions, that one is more likely to stand up to scrutiny.

Your sig says it all. You know very little about basketball.

Let’s play nice y’all. Let’s be respectful please.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,841

Post#93 » by Zeno » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:00 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:GS cannot aggregate salary with another player.
All deals would have to be one for one, they would have to attach picks to get off of salary.

With Paul and Klay’s number’s coming off the books, they are nowhere near the 2nd apron so they can put salaries together in trade this offseason, lower their salary commitments further and then perhaps resign Klay or Paul if they want to though obviously at greatly reduced rates. Dumping Poole’s contract really saved their ass.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,578

Post#94 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:22 am

Zeno wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:GS cannot aggregate salary with another player.

With Paul and Klay’s number’s coming off the books, they are nowhere near the 2nd apron so they can put salaries together in trade this offseason, lower their salary commitments further and then perhaps resign Klay or Paul if they want to though obviously at greatly reduced rates. Dumping Poole’s contract really saved their ass.

.I got that info from Bobby marks, maybe he was talking about pre-draft trades.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,841

Post#95 » by Zeno » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:31 am

Scase wrote:

I was mentioning earlier that Wiggins alone is a FRP, Moody isn't enough. I wonder with them being embarrassed by the Kings if they are a bit more desperate.

At a 2026 FRP top 5 protected, and it's worth it. Especially since he's likely an expiring by the time we truly want to compete.

Let’s say we keep the pick this year and draft Clingan and then at the draft trade Yak to GS for Wiggins, Moody and a top 6 protected 2025. Would you do that trade?
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,081

Post#96 » by mihaic » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 am

I'd rather try to sign Oubre, but he will probably stay with sixers. They have cap space.

I liked his game for a long time now. He plays hard.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#97 » by anotherhomer » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:31 am

bruce brown for Wiggins plus moses moody makes a lot of sense, but i doubt warriors do it

inversely, wiggins plus pick for bruce brown makes a lot of sense too
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,597

Post#98 » by HangTime » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 am

Brown,
McDaniels,
Boucher

For

Paul,
Wiggins,
2025 FRP,
option to swap either our own or Indiana's 2026 FRP
with theirs

Maybe Paul can teach our guards some things, and then we buy him out after training camp, if he wants out.
Landomar
Bench Warmer
And1: 373

Post#99 » by Landomar » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 am

It looks like Golden State just has to let Chris Paul and Klay Thompson come off the books. Without those two, they have a nine man roster that is comfortably below the luxury tax.

Curry / Payton
Podziemski / Moody
Wiggins
Green / Kuminga
Jackson-Davis / Looney
= 142 million + 11 million for 6 minimum contracts, so let's call it 153 million

The luxury tax threshold is around 171 million. That gives them 18 to 20 million in flexibility. If Klay Thompson accepts a contract for a lower number than that, then they literally just have to let Chris Paul walk and they are fine.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#100 » by Scase » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 am

Zeno wrote:
Scase wrote:

Let’s say we keep the pick this year and draft Clingan and then at the draft trade Yak to GS for Wiggins, Moody and a top 6 protected 2025. Would you do that trade?

I would do that so fast GSWs entire FOs heads would spin.
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors