ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets are hiring Jordi

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,429

Re: Nets are hiring Jordi 

Post#41 » by Tha Cynic » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:37 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:Is there a team in a worse position than the Nets in the NBA? They're basically praying they can sign someone to make this team better because they really have no assets outside of Bridges, and could lose Claxton. They should have traded Bridges who they have internally overrated imo. He's not what they think he is.

This is the part of it I don't like lol

It's completely understandable that a young coach is chomping at the bit to have the opportunity to coach a NBA team & there is potential for Jordi to "turn things around" as in get them back into competing for Play In spots but the downside is just so bad & WAY more likely...

Like you said there is a MAJOR chance Claxton walks and that will almost certainly destroy the defensive schemes for an already INCREDIBLY limited roster. All we need to do is look at how we went from mid to bottoming out without Yak and that could very easily be the case for BKN no matter what schemes Fernandez tries to draw up to mitigate the loss. You simply can't lose your defensive anchor for absolutely nothing and hope to be at the same level or better and again they don't have have any assets or flexibility to make up for it. Then you see how even internally teams get frustrated when they can't seem to get past a certain "ceiling" and when your ceiling is barely making it and more often than not, not making it -- this just has a gigantic waste of time written all over it.

I think Jordi let his anxiousness get the best of him because the upside is very limited and unlikely while the downside seems almost inevitable. For his sake hopefully he gets those guys to want to run through a brick wall for him lol because otherwise I have no idea other than personal ambition why he wanted this job that almost guarantees a bad start to his resume.

It's possible he has been passed over multiple times and wants to get started somewhere, but we saw this can have bad consequences like it did with Nate and Adrian Griffin. But he is choosing an organization that has had i think 4 or 5 coaches in as many years and using a role player as a pretend superstar.
Kobe Bryant: “You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,495

Post#42 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:45 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:Is there a team in a worse position than the Nets in the NBA? They're basically praying they can sign someone to make this team better because they really have no assets outside of Bridges, and could lose Claxton. They should have traded Bridges who they have internally overrated imo. He's not what they think he is.

This is the part of it I don't like lol

It's completely understandable that a young coach is chomping at the bit to have the opportunity to coach a NBA team & there is potential for Jordi to "turn things around" as in get them back into competing for Play In spots but the downside is just so bad & WAY more likely...

Like you said there is a MAJOR chance Claxton walks and that will almost certainly destroy the defensive schemes for an already INCREDIBLY limited roster. All we need to do is look at how we went from mid to bottoming out without Yak and that could very easily be the case for BKN no matter what schemes Fernandez tries to draw up to mitigate the loss. You simply can't lose your defensive anchor for absolutely nothing and hope to be at the same level or better and again they don't have have any assets or flexibility to make up for it. Then you see how even internally teams get frustrated when they can't seem to get past a certain "ceiling" and when your ceiling is barely making it and more often than not, not making it -- this just has a gigantic waste of time written all over it.

I think Jordi let his anxiousness get the best of him because the upside is very limited and unlikely while the downside seems almost inevitable. For his sake hopefully he gets those guys to want to run through a brick wall for him lol because otherwise I have no idea other than personal ambition why he wanted this job that almost guarantees a bad start to his resume.

It's possible he has been passed over multiple times and wants to get started somewhere, but we saw this can have bad consequences like it did with Nate and Adrian Griffin. But he is choosing an organization that has had i think 4 or 5 coaches in as many years and using a role player as a pretend superstar.

Only 30 jobs. He's eager I don't really blame him. You never know what could happen in future. Could actually benefit him like it did Atkinson (coincidently same team and same lack of future)
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,102

Post#43 » by MiamiSPX » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:46 pm

The Bulls are arguably in the same/worse shape but that's about it.

it's crazy to me that Marks is keeping his job (and Weaver too).
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#44 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:50 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:

Read on Twitter
plainballing
Head Coach
And1: 1,590

Post#45 » by plainballing » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:59 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:The Nets still owe the Rockets:

2024 1st
2025 Swap
2026 1st
2027 Swap

They don't control their own pick until 2028.

They can still attract FA as a "2nd New York" team. Yet that's nasty.
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/lillehammer/Turbo_Zone_Little_Ozzy_Davis.jpg
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,580

Post#46 » by 2019nbachamps » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:09 pm

It'll be disappointing if Jordi drops out before the Olympics. The Kings will be out of the playoffs as soon as tonight, giving him 10 weeks to settle in with the Nets before Olympics training camp. Following the Olympics, he'll have an additional 6 weeks BEFORE NBA training camp kicks off. I'm hoping he reached an agreement with the Nets for some flexibility here. I dont care if he dips after the Olympics.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#47 » by Dalek » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:22 pm

Ackshun wrote:
Dalek wrote:
tms wrote:Massive respect if he stays w the NT through the Olympics. But I can't see it happening what with summer league, free agency and all the new jobs on his plate now

I doubt he stays as well, but it is is the Olympics so it would be a huge loss. Nick wanted to stay as the NT coach but he got a new job with Philly and quickly decided to move on probably because of the time commitment. Jordi is in his first head coaching role and with a young roster he probably has a whole summer to figure out.

To me, this opens up the conversation to have Darko as Team Canada coach. He already coaches a few players, and he knows international ball well. I would be extremely curious to see how he does with high quality players again.

That’s a pretty good call. Does he have more than the one year as an assistant in international competition?

I think they let him finish out this run with Canada. It’s over three months away, but unsure when the team has to get together to start prepping. But it does seem like enough time to get his team in place in Brooklyn. But coaching on the world stage against the worlds greatest basketball players, I think that’s invaluable experience for the Nets.

Jordi really did "elevate his status" coaching Team Canada. I would hope he can continue to pay it back, but a new job like that will conflict with the draft and summer league camps. But, no doubt the NT helped him:

Read on Twitter
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,603

Post#48 » by Ackshun » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 pm

Dalek wrote:
Ackshun wrote:
Dalek wrote:
I doubt he stays as well, but it is is the Olympics so it would be a huge loss. Nick wanted to stay as the NT coach but he got a new job with Philly and quickly decided to move on probably because of the time commitment. Jordi is in his first head coaching role and with a young roster he probably has a whole summer to figure out.

To me, this opens up the conversation to have Darko as Team Canada coach. He already coaches a few players, and he knows international ball well. I would be extremely curious to see how he does with high quality players again.

That’s a pretty good call. Does he have more than the one year as an assistant in international competition?

I think they let him finish out this run with Canada. It’s over three months away, but unsure when the team has to get together to start prepping. But it does seem like enough time to get his team in place in Brooklyn. But coaching on the world stage against the worlds greatest basketball players, I think that’s invaluable experience for the Nets.

Jordi really did "elevate his status" coaching Team Canada. I would hope he can continue to pay it back, but a new job like that will conflict with the draft and summer league camps. But, no doubt the NT helped him:

Read on Twitter

Yeah figured as much. It’s definitely something that stands out on a resume or interview. Our program needs stability so fingers crossed .
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,372

Post#49 » by PushDaRock » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:00 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

Read on Twitter

lmao I don't know that I've ever heard Perk say something insightful or useful before.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,372

Post#50 » by PushDaRock » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 pm

Dalek wrote:
tms wrote:Massive respect if he stays w the NT through the Olympics. But I can't see it happening what with summer league, free agency and all the new jobs on his plate now

lol wouldn't even be the craziest thing if Nurse came back on now that he's more settled in there.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#51 » by JB7 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:13 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
JB7 wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
He's walking into probably a bottom 5 situation as far as desirable spots go in the league. He has his work cut out for him with that roster and holding just 1 draft pick (2025 Suns pick) for the next 3 years. They don't even have their own draft pick until 2028 so tanking is out of the question.

It all depends on what the Nets are able to accomplish in the trade market. The team they have now is going nowhere.

Could they make a hard push for Mitchell & Allen this offseason?

They had an opportunity to do a reset and get back their picks from houston plus jalen green. That ship sailed

The Nets don't appear to be looking for picks or young players. They look like they are star hunting. Could they toss the Suns picks and Bridges, along with Simmons (salary filler - expiring $40M contract) and any other salary filler needed for Mitchell and Allen this offseason? If Cavs lose in the 1sr round to the Magic, does Mitchell just let them know this offseason he doesn't plan on resigning?

Mitchell always wanted to go to NY, and I don't see him as a good fit beside Brunson.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#52 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:19 pm

Read on Twitter
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,411

Post#53 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:25 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

He should have been the Raptprs Head Coach. Could have used the national team to tamper properly too lol
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,444

Post#54 » by KL78192020 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:28 pm

They actually do have a bunch of assets, they have 6 incoming 1st round picks and 5 second round picks. So its really not that bad, those Suns picks can be valuable very soon. Suns aren't even that good with KD.

There are a few teams in worse spots. Raptors aren't much better either, Ben Simmons is expiring next year, and some free agents might actually go to Brooklyn unlike many other cities.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,980

Post#55 » by MEDIC » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:32 pm

Mr_NC wrote:Man I still think we missed on this guy smh

Yeah. There are things about Darko that I like, but Jordi is more my type of coach.

I probably would have hired him
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,236

Post#56 » by sidsid » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:56 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:I guess we'll get to see if we made a mistake hiring Darko instead of him.

Scheme wise on offense the Nets don't have the horses upfront to play high post hub unless he has thoughts of reviving Simmons' career somehow.

We won't learn what I wanted to see from him with the makeup of that team.
raincityraptors
Junior
And1: 714

Post#57 » by raincityraptors » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:15 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:I guess we'll get to see if we made a mistake hiring Darko instead of him.

Jordi was my top choice from the start and Team Canada's run solidified that.

However, the Front Office made this season about as challenging for a first year head coach as they could.

Given what Darko did to turn around Gradey's season, Scottie's jump and helping RJ have the best and most consistent stretch of games in his entire career - the man delivered on development. I also adore his offensive system and his ability to run it with fringe NBA players.

The players adore him too.

Darko is our guy regardless of what Jordi goes and does in a well deserved shot as HC.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,707

Post#58 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:47 pm

Good news about Jordi and the Olympics. After that I could see Darko taking over the men's team. I think it works well having the Raptor coach acting as Canada's coach too. As long as Darko is secure here for several years
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#59 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:19 pm

HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,067

Post#60 » by HumbleRen » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:24 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=jjXxOoE4yWMd4fG6_-MQMQ