ImageImageImageImageImage

Darko Presser @ 11am

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,508

Darko Presser @ 11am 

Post#1 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:16 pm

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,870

Re: Darko Presser @ 11am 

Post#2 » by Duffman100 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:18 pm

Things for next season, I hope...

Better effort all around, especially on defense
Clean up the defensive glass
Clean up defensive rotations
Reduce sloppy / unforced turnovers

It's all good to be the nice guy and help people develop. But we also need to see some accountability and strong habits being formed.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 431

Post#3 » by manjusaka » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:27 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Things for next season, I hope...

It's all good to be the nice guy and help people develop. But we also need to see some accountability and strong habits being formed.

BBQ Gradey, and Kelly all seem to trust Darko’s ability to coach. Our defence definitely needs to improve.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#4 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:45 pm

Read on Twitter
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Post#5 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:53 pm

Not to pick on you in particular, Duff, because I appreciate you as a poster (and a mod), but I'm never quite sure what people mean when they say they want to see "accountability".

How exactly would that manifest itself in a way that we could observe? What exactly are we looking for?

It kind of seems like it's one of those catch all terms that people can use whenever they want if results aren't what they're looking for, without pointing to specific process, and just blame poor play on "lack of accountability".
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,674

Post#6 » by hyper316 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:00 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:

Not to pick on you in particular, Duff, because I appreciate you as a poster (and a mod), but I'm never quite sure what people mean when they say they want to see "accountability".

How exactly would that manifest itself in a way that we could observe? What exactly are we looking for?

It kind of seems like it's one of those catch all terms that people can use whenever they want if results aren't what they're looking for, without pointing to specific process, and just blame poor play on "lack of accountability".

One form of accountability comes from the coach. If player is having defense lapses and not playing within themselves on offense, said player gets benched - no matter what the pregame rotation plan was.

Darko tends to be very rigid with his rotations and adjustments. Some could say he's giving long leash in a development year. I think Darko also getting pressure from Masai. One of the things Masai mentioned in Nurses departure interview was that he was hands off with coaching decisions and that led to the downfall of last year, it sounded to me that Masai would get involved going forward
BetterCallSaul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,523

Post#7 » by BetterCallSaul » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:01 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Lmao, Will Lou and Blake Murphy are clearly so annoyed that the Raptors booked Darko in during their show so they couldn't be there.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#8 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:04 pm

Read on Twitter
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,870

Post#9 » by Duffman100 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:

I would say when you have players throwing no look passes out of bounds in important moments. When the effort on the glass or defensive rotations aren't there. You can start to question how accountable players are being kept to the details.

I agree it's a catch-all bucket term.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#10 » by bboyskinnylegs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm

#WETHEBEST
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,747

Post#11 » by And1Skip » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:07 pm

aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:11 pm

hyper316 wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:

One form of accountability comes from the coach. If player is having defense lapses and not playing within themselves on offense, said player gets benched - no matter what the pregame rotation plan was.

Darko tends to be very rigid with his rotations and adjustments. Some could say he's giving long leash in a development year. I think Darko also getting pressure from Masai. One of the things Masai mentioned in Nurses departure interview was that he was hands off with coaching decisions and that led to the downfall of last year, it sounded to me that Masai would get involved going forward

And yet we did see guys float in and out of the rotation even when healthy. Think about Boucher or McDaniels or Nwora. If benching is the only marker, is that evidence of accountability, or that he came to believe those players didn't fit into what he was trying to do?

I agree that the concept of accountability is important, I'm just not sure that it's something that we as outsider posters on this board can really observe most of the time, which makes it almost impossible to argue if it is or isn't there.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:15 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:

I would say when you have players throwing no look passes out of bounds in important moments. When the effort on the glass or defensive rotations aren't there. You can start to question how accountable players are being kept to the details.

I agree it's a catch-all bucket term.

And that's why I don't really like using it in this forum. It seems a lot of people just use it to mean "results I don't like" when we really don't know 99% of what's going on behind the scenes in terms of accountability.

But again, that's probably just semantic nitpicking on my part.
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,235

Post#14 » by Childs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Damn
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,235

Post#15 » by Childs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:21 pm

Read on Twitter
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:21 pm

Interesting to hear Darko say that Gary grew as a vocal leader on the team over the year. I wouldn't really have guessed that.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,983

Post#17 » by Potential » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:21 pm

What's this lad sayin?
InfraRedshaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 757

Post#18 » by InfraRedshaw » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:39 pm

any cliff notes ? a player stuck in work meetings and cant listen
Just 8* years ago Andrea Bargnani was my franchise player, you MF'ers can't rain on my parade
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,757

Post#19 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:40 pm

Potential wrote:What's this lad sayin?

He's talking about team defence now, emphasizing that communication and knowing what to do is key to good defence.

Just called out missing Yak and also singled out Ochai as a positive defender.

Says that they'll be working on defensive concepts over the summer as well.

My take - I don't think there was an effort issue. When watching, it was a combination of having poor defensive instincts (eg. Nwora) or lack of synergy (people missing their spots, not knowing where to be, not enough talking).

I'm hoping with Yak/Scottie back and with guys like RJ openly saying they need to focus on D, it'll look much different next year.

(He has since moved on to talking about the difference from a year ago; lost his voice leading up to Summer League talking 9 hours a day to players and guys he wanted to hire etc.)
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,586

Post#20 » by DG88 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:41 pm

Darko pretty said it's the start of a rebuild and it will take time. He's tampering expectations that we'll be 'good' soon like next season.

Return to Toronto Raptors