ImageImageImageImageImage

Darko Presser @ 11am

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,586

Re: Darko Presser @ 11am 

Post#61 » by DG88 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:26 pm

Scase wrote:
DG88 wrote:Darko pretty said it's the start of a rebuild and it will take time. He's tampering expectations that we'll be 'good' soon like next season.

I think you mean tempering, if Darko is tampering, we are definitely losing our pick :lol:

Typo but yes tempering expectations.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,777

Post#62 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:34 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
hyper316 wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:
Not to pick on you in particular, Duff, because I appreciate you as a poster (and a mod), but I'm never quite sure what people mean when they say they want to see "accountability".

How exactly would that manifest itself in a way that we could observe? What exactly are we looking for?

It kind of seems like it's one of those catch all terms that people can use whenever they want if results aren't what they're looking for, without pointing to specific process, and just blame poor play on "lack of accountability".

One form of accountability comes from the coach. If player is having defense lapses and not playing within themselves on offense, said player gets benched - no matter what the pregame rotation plan was.

Darko tends to be very rigid with his rotations and adjustments. Some could say he's giving long leash in a development year. I think Darko also getting pressure from Masai. One of the things Masai mentioned in Nurses departure interview was that he was hands off with coaching decisions and that led to the downfall of last year, it sounded to me that Masai would get involved going forward

And yet we did see guys float in and out of the rotation even when healthy. Think about Boucher or McDaniels or Nwora. If benching is the only marker, is that evidence of accountability, or that he came to believe those players didn't fit into what he was trying to do?

I agree that the concept of accountability is important, I'm just not sure that it's something that we as outsider posters on this board can really observe most of the time, which makes it almost impossible to argue if it is or isn't there.

I've been watching the Knicks a lot since the trade. Thibs is a coach who demands accountability if any coach does. His method seems to be defining roles and then pulling guys if they go outside their role. Like Precious seems to have cut down on his dribbling and sticking to what he is better at. Bogdanovic came and was missing shots and making turnovers, now seems to play more because he's hitting threes and has learned the defensive rotations.

On the other hand certain guys play 40+ minutes quite often. I don't know what's accountability and what is just going with guys who earned more minutes. As others have said we don't really know what happens in a locker room. But seems to me Thibs is on the side of running a tighter ship and Darko is more for letting guys make mistakes. Just my observation though.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Post#63 » by ash_k » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:39 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Darko's best attribute is player development and we saw Scottie make a huge leap, IQ turn into a decent starting PG, and RJ Barrett into an efficient scorer (despite tanking at the FT line). We also saw evidence that his personal player development hire, Simovic, saved Gradey Dick's season.

You can't put any of the defense on him.
This season was a mess handed to him from management, and then a strong targeted tank.

:lol:
What have you guys been on?
He had a training camp with Barnes, OG, Pascal and Jakob AND had the New-York-Knicks-Defense-BLUEPRINTS via Ike Azotam AND still could not get anybody to defend, could not get the team to defend, could not instill any defensive principles because he has none.

What do you think the all KNicks sueing us was about, stealing Thibodeau great "offensive" system?

Udoka has turned the worst defensive team into one of the best; it is either you have it or you don't as a coach...Masai has to get him a defensive coordinator or do the right thing and hire a coach like Bud with defensive principles(&adaptable)
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,171

Post#64 » by HiJiNX » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:40 pm

DG88 wrote:Here's the FA list for 2024
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/?ref=trending-pages

Just skimming through there aren't that many players I like to add to the roster next year.

Guys I’d be interested in if available:

-Malik Beasley if he’s cheap
-Tyus Jones if he will come off the bench
-Malik Monk
-Kyle Anderson who is a good player despite his lack of physical tools
-Nic Claxton
-Derrick Jones Jr. if he’s cheap. He’d be fun to watch with our bevy of passers. Decent catch and shoot guy now too
-Kelly Oubre Jr.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#65 » by Dalek » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:07 am

HiJiNX wrote:

Just skimming through there aren't that many players I like to add to the roster next year.

-Malik Monk
-Nic Claxton
-Derrick Jones Jr. if he’s cheap. He’d be fun to watch with our bevy of passers. Decent catch and shoot guy now too
-Kelly Oubre Jr.

What about Pascal Siakam, OG Anunoby, Precious Achuiwa and Gary Trent Jr.? Weirdly, to me the ex-Raptors should be at the top of the list of free agents for most teams.

I liked Monk until this knee injury. The rest are really not going to help with outside shooting/spacing much.

He is a bit older, but I really like Caleb Martin. He seems to get better every year and is really Miami tough.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,777

Post#66 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:08 am

HiJiNX wrote:

-Malik Monk
-Nic Claxton
-Kelly Oubre Jr.

I'm sure all those guys have Toronto as their first choice
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,171

Post#67 » by HiJiNX » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:20 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:

-Malik Monk
-Nic Claxton
-Kelly Oubre Jr.

I'm sure all those guys have Toronto as their first choice

Hahaha I’m just saying who I like. I’m not saying we are their first choice.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
TheAlchemist23
Rookie
And1: 1,534

Post#68 » by TheAlchemist23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:31 am

Biggest takeaway was he said Scottie was shy and timid to begin the year. That's very evident in his offensive approach.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,154

Post#69 » by Chandan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:20 am

TheAlchemist23 wrote:Biggest takeaway was he said Scottie was shy and timid to begin the year. That's very evident in his offensive approach.

Yeah it was obvious that Scottie was reluctant to step on others toes on offense the first 2 years.
Which was one of the reason i thought he had to be forced into the number 1 role which weren't going to happen with the old core.
youngRAPZ
Senior
And1: 456

Post#70 » by youngRAPZ » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:41 pm

ash_k wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:Darko's best attribute is player development and we saw Scottie make a huge leap, IQ turn into a decent starting PG, and RJ Barrett into an efficient scorer (despite tanking at the FT line). We also saw evidence that his personal player development hire, Simovic, saved Gradey Dick's season.

You can't put any of the defense on him.
This season was a mess handed to him from management, and then a strong targeted tank.

:lol:
What have you guys been on?
He had a training camp with Barnes, OG, Pascal and Jakob AND had the New-York-Knicks-Defense-BLUEPRINTS via Ike Azotam AND still could not get anybody to defend, could not get the team to defend, could not instill any defensive principles because he has none.

What do you think the all KNicks sueing us was about, stealing Thibodeau great "offensive" system?

Udoka has turned the worst defensive team into one of the best; it is either you have it or you don't as a coach...Masai has to get him a defensive coordinator or do the right thing and hire a coach like Bud with defensive principles(&adaptable)

I mean maybe give him a chance he did state that he wanted to work on the offence this year and even said all the other times he’s coached the teams have been good on defence.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,895

Post#71 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:02 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Things for next season, I hope...

Better effort all around, especially on defense
Clean up the defensive glass
Clean up defensive rotations
Reduce sloppy / unforced turnovers

It's all good to be the nice guy and help people develop. But we also need to see some accountability and strong habits being formed.

That's where Jakob Poetl, Kelly Olynyk, Garrett Temple and Bruce Brown come in. They are called vetersns. There has to be accountability to veteran leadership.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,594

Post#72 » by 2019nbachamps » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:49 pm

Based on what Masai said I think we can expect Darko to be our coach for at least 2 more seasons. Next year seems like another transition season with low expectations.

Return to Toronto Raptors