ImageImageImageImageImage

Darko Presser @ 11am

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,323

Re: Darko Presser @ 11am 

Post#41 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:33 pm

Thaddy wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Grange asked what do they need via draft. Aside from obvious, Darko mentioned players that can guard multiple positions.

I'm almost certain that if we retain our own pick that we're taking a wing (one of Risacher, Buezlis or Holland).

As good as Dillingham & Sheppard are, that lack of size just will not work defensively long term with IQ who CLEARLY is coming back based both on how Masai/Bobby have focused on him with their statements on him and now IQ saying all the right things about TO as a city.

I'm not sure if they'll have a good enough option left at the IND pick unless maybe Saluan falls. Personally I don't think they'd draft Da Silva or Furphy at 17 as both guys are solid defenders but not elite & probably just project to be at best rotation players and I think this FO knows they need another "sexy" prospect to continue to build up optimism around this rebuild. If we don't keep our pick & Saluan isn't there I don't see them passing on the potentials of Ware or Chomche....and THEN with the DET maybe they spend on a guy like Ryan Dunn and try to work on his jumper with him.

This sounds like we'll be targetting Holland. His draft stock took a big hit this season after he was the projected first overall pick. He played with a pretty bad team and in a lesser role he has the capability of being a versatile defender that can create his own shot in a similar manner to Barrett. If he can be a cheaper and better RJ replacement it gives us another asset we can expend.

I admit it could be my own personal bias but I actually think the target would be Buzelis.

I think he has even more upside potential given his added size and relatively similar skillset. Both guys at one time or another have been pegged as the best prospect in this draft so I don't think there's a losing scenario either way and I'll be incredibly happy with landing either. But Buzelis might be Scottie's "Franz" lol I'm NOT saying Buze = Franz. While both are versatile forwards, I think Franz has better shooting touch but Matas is the better athlete so they'll have different strengths, just both have good versatility and size.

I just think they'll take the biggest swing possible & I personally believe MB's ceiling is just a very slightly higher ceiling than Holland's. But again I'd still be thrilled to get Holland. His defensive potential is actually very similar to OG if you watch HOW he defends. If they can get him to shoot higher percentage on corner 3s & let him create off the dribble a bit, then he could end up being a fantastic fit as well....and yeah the part that I'm sure no one wants to talk about (long term moving RJ as he is actually a SG and preferably moving Gradey into the starting lineup), that Holland could help the long term strategy of building out a contender but DAMN that is going to be a VERY difficult thing for this FO to do as obviously being a hometown boy that very proudly reps the city/country and has done an excellent job adapting his game so far....that would not be an easy one but we're getting way ahead of ourselves there lol.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,190

Post#42 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:49 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
Potential wrote:What's this lad sayin?

He's talking about team defence now, emphasizing that communication and knowing what to do is key to good defence.

Just called out missing Yak and also singled out Ochai as a positive defender.

Says that they'll be working on defensive concepts over the summer as well.

My take - I don't think there was an effort issue. When watching, it was a combination of having poor defensive instincts (eg. Nwora) or lack of synergy (people missing their spots, not knowing where to be, not enough talking).

I'm hoping with Yak/Scottie back and with guys like RJ openly saying they need to focus on D, it'll look much different next year.

(He has since moved on to talking about the difference from a year ago; lost his voice leading up to Summer League talking 9 hours a day to players and guys he wanted to hire etc.)

I think there is a chance Ochai is a starter next year as a guy to set a defensive tone. IQ/Agbaji/RJ/Barnes/Poeltl
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 459

Post#43 » by Smalltown » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:03 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:I think there is a chance Ochai is a starter next year as a guy to set a defensive tone. IQ/Agbaji/RJ/Barnes/Poeltl

I think if that happens we've probably had a disaster of an off season. I do think he's got the potential to be a rotation piece - but nothing at this points looks starting calibre to me.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,586

Post#44 » by DG88 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:15 pm

Here's the FA list for 2024
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/?ref=trending-pages

Just skimming through there aren't that many players I like to add to the roster next year.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,522

Post#45 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:20 pm

DG88 wrote:Here's the FA list for 2024

Just skimming through there aren't that many players I like to add to the roster next year.

I dont think we make any moves here
Trent 50 50 for me, depends on number. honestly wouldn't give him more than 2 yrs/40
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,578

Post#46 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:31 pm

This team clearly had a mandate to be non-selfish this yr, Darko established that in droves for me, we are a high assist team. Now we gotta implement our defense now

In Raptor Ball I Trust
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,190

Post#47 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:34 pm

Smalltown wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I think there is a chance Ochai is a starter next year as a guy to set a defensive tone. IQ/Agbaji/RJ/Barnes/Poeltl

I think if that happens we've probably had a disaster of an off season. I do think he's got the potential to be a rotation piece - but nothing at this points looks starting calibre to me.

There is a clear difference between starting caliber in a traditional sense, and starting games for fit purposes.

Think Andre Roberson for years starting and playing 19-20mpg
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,268

Post#48 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:50 pm

Tyus Jones is my target this summer - we need a vet PG who can play some mins behind IQ.

If GTJ leaves, then Beasley or Monk will be my target as a SG replacement. Maybe Lonnie Walker IV if we are being cheap.

In regards to Cs, Claxton and Hartenstein are my targets but I doubt they are coming here, and there is a good chance we will draft a C this draft to develop behind Jak anyways.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,586

Post#49 » by DG88 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:56 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:

Tyus Jones is my target this summer - we need a vet PG who can play some mins behind IQ.

If GTJ leaves, then Beasley or Monk will be my target as a SG replacement. Maybe Lonnie Walker IV if we are being cheap.

In regards to Cs, Claxton and Hartenstein are my targets but I doubt they are coming here, and there is a good chance we will draft a C this draft to develop behind Jak anyways.

This Jones is the only player that really intrigues me as someone to go after. We need a competent back up PG. I doubt Claxton and Hartenstein come here.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,474

Post#50 » by mtcan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:58 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:

Tyus Jones wants to start so that isn't happening in Toronto.

If we keep our lottery pick, we will draft a backup point guard, a long wing that can shoot and a center prospect to develop behind Jakob and Kelly.
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 459

Post#51 » by Smalltown » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:59 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Smalltown wrote:

There is a clear difference between starting caliber in a traditional sense, and starting games for fit purposes.

Think Andre Roberson for years starting and playing 19-20mpg

To be fair Andre was at an All D level with OKC. Ochai is no where near that level yet. Andre started because he was one of the top defenders in the league.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,522

Post#52 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:12 pm

Read on Twitter

not related but using Utah to compare
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,235

Post#53 » by Childs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:33 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

They ranked 30th on defense? Man this team walloped us twice. Ugh.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,268

Post#54 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:34 pm

mtcan wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:

Tyus Jones wants to start so that isn't happening in Toronto.

If we keep our lottery pick, we will draft a backup point guard, a long wing that can shoot and a center prospect to develop behind Jakob and Kelly.

That is fine, but I have a feeling Masai and Bobby want to add more 'win now' pieces this summer than just filling our needs with young guys in the draft. Most likely there will be at least 1-2 'experienced' pieces joining this team in the summer. IQ is already relatively young; we need a vet floor general to help out. Lowry wants to come back for a year? I can see us drafting our big wing (since the FA pool is really weak there) and a young C to develop (to replace Koloko), but very possible we will also sign a big as well (Jalen Smith?)
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,796

Post#55 » by TheGeneral99 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:41 pm

Childs wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

They ranked 30th on defense? Man this team walloped us twice. Ugh.

There was a point in the season that Utah was actually playing really well and surprising everyone only to suddenly crater and drop completely.

After starting 7-16 the Jazz went 19-10 and found themselves at .500 with a 26-26 record more than mid-way in the season. During that stretch they beat Philly (with Embiid), Milwaukee, Denver, LA, Indiana, and Miami in a 3 week span.

Their record ended up being 29-53.

So the Jazz went 3-27 to finish the season.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,134

Post#56 » by MiamiSPX » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:41 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:

I dont think we make any moves here
Trent 50 50 for me, depends on number. honestly wouldn't give him more than 2 yrs/40

It's an awful list, one of the worst I've seen. That is why I think GTJ (and Claxton) get paid this summer. They are among the youngest of that horrible crop. All it takes is one dumb GM to talk himself into it, and I can see that happening for both.
Mr Funk
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,640

Post#57 » by Mr Funk » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:56 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:We can talk offense and improvement of players all we want. If they defense stays as is, this team will be on the outside again. Missing Poeltl hurt but they will need to get bigger this off-season and add more length to this club.

That's why this draft might actually be good for us. We need solid role players to plug our depth and defensive holes and not necessarily another star right away (although that would be pretty sweet).

Hopefully we'll come away with a solid centre who can back up Poeltl (with Olynyk playing his natural PF position), as well as a 6'8-6'9 wing with a good wingspan. And if the price is right, maybe we bring Lowry home as another mentor for the young roster.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,757

Post#58 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:19 pm

DG88 wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:

This Jones is the only player that really intrigues me as someone to go after. We need a competent back up PG. I doubt Claxton and Hartenstein come here.

It's even worse if you filter to only non-Bird guys, where there's a level contract playing field. I also like Jones, but he was the Wiz's best PG and started for them to end the season and they can price us out easily, which I suspect they'll do given the lack of depth (Poole was awful as the lead guard; they won't do that again).

Front-court I really like X. Tillman - excellent defender, tends to win his minutes if he's playing with decent talent, not much to offer offensively though Boston smartly limited his offensive scope and his 2P% jumped up to 68%. Zero chance we have the leverage for Claxton (Bird) or Hartenstein (Early Bird), I wish.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,965

Post#59 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:41 pm

Darko's best attribute is player development and we saw Scottie make a huge leap, IQ turn into a decent starting PG, and RJ Barrett into an efficient scorer (despite tanking at the FT line). We also saw evidence that his personal player development hire, Simovic, saved Gradey Dick's season.

You can't put any of the defense on him. This season was a mess handed to him from management, and then a strong targeted tank.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#60 » by Scase » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:47 pm

DG88 wrote:Darko pretty said it's the start of a rebuild and it will take time. He's tampering expectations that we'll be 'good' soon like next season.

I think you mean tempering, if Darko is tampering, we are definitely losing our pick :lol:
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors