ImageImageImageImageImage

Darko Presser @ 11am

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,875

Re: Darko Presser @ 11am 

Post#21 » by Duffman100 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:46 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
Potential wrote:What's this lad sayin?

He's talking about team defence now, emphasizing that communication and knowing what to do is key to good defence.

Just called out missing Yak and also singled out Ochai as a positive defender.

Says that they'll be working on defensive concepts over the summer as well.

My take - I don't think there was an effort issue. When watching, it was a combination of having poor defensive instincts (eg. Nwora) or lack of synergy (people missing their spots, not knowing where to be, not enough talking).

I'm hoping with Yak/Scottie back and with guys like RJ openly saying they need to focus on D, it'll look much different next year.

(He has since moved on to talking about the difference from a year ago; lost his voice leading up to Summer League talking 9 hours a day to players and guys he wanted to hire etc.)

RJ and Quickley were both pretty damn bad on the defensive end when they came over. I was hoping and expecting more.
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 459

Post#22 » by Smalltown » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:47 pm

DG88 wrote:Darko pretty said it's the start of a rebuild and it will take time. He's tampering expectations that we'll be 'good' soon like next season.

That will also make a .500 or near .500 season look like a huge success. I don't think we're going to be contenders for a while. But play-in is definitely not off the table next year if a few balls bounce right.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,586

Post#23 » by DG88 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:49 pm

Smalltown wrote:
DG88 wrote:Darko pretty said it's the start of a rebuild and it will take time. He's tampering expectations that we'll be 'good' soon like next season.

That will also make a .500 or near .500 season look like a huge success. I don't think we're going to be contenders for a while. But play-in is definitely not off the table next year if a few balls bounce right.

Making the Play-In would be the top end for this team. Low end would be similar to how this season ended. I think they fall in the middle of that.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,508

Post#24 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=0YpMScWXY2zRUqR8fH-usg
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#25 » by bboyskinnylegs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:53 pm

this might be the most awkward Raptors Show I've listened to
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 431

Post#26 » by manjusaka » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:58 pm

Mentioned that players should do some activities for conditioning purposes instead of a total shutdown for few weeks during the summer.

Will fly around to check on players with their summer workouts.

There was lots personnel movements, will be watching tapes to see if there is something needs adjustments.

Winning is the goal.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,320

Post#27 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well I think the other part that Darko (rightfully) probably doesn't want to say to invoke any controversy is that it's also likely helped tremendously that the guys who asserted themselves as the "leaders" ie/ FVV, Pascal and even Schroeder, are now all gone and as such he can likely feel much more confident to assert his opinions.

It's no secret that there was a divide between the younger players & vets and I'm sure a lot of that was how each party believed HOW the game should be played and in the vets cases who the offence runs through ie/ them. If we're honest, you listen carefully to all of their responses about their roles lessening (in their minds "diminishing") and they all seemed agitated to even hear that their roles would be reduced. It's somewhat understandable when each guy worked very hard to earn that position BUT I do think they each fought to retain the "crown" so to speak and now instead of it acting as a divide, they're out of the way and Scottie's input can't be dismissed by vets who believe they're superior. Not accusing them of being awful to Scottie but I don't believe for a second that they didn't believe their way was THE right way is all I'm saying...
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,098

Post#28 » by ItsDanger » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:00 pm

Grange asked what do they need via draft. Aside from obvious, Darko mentioned players that can guard multiple positions.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
PhilBlackson
RealGM

Post#29 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:02 pm

Is Masai or Bobby speaking today?
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
manjusaka
Senior

Post#30 » by manjusaka » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:03 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well I think the other part that Darko (rightfully) probably doesn't want to say to invoke any controversy is that it's also likely helped tremendously that the guys who asserted themselves as the "leaders" ie/ FVV, Pascal and even Schroeder, are now all gone and as such he can likely feel much more confident to assert his opinions.

It's no secret that there was a divide between the younger players & vets and I'm sure a lot of that was how each party believed HOW the game should be played and in the vets cases who the offence runs through ie/ them. If we're honest, you listen carefully to all of their responses about their roles lessening (in their minds "diminishing") and they all seemed agitated to even hear that their roles would be reduced. It's somewhat understandable when each guy worked very hard to earn that position BUT I do think they each fought to retain the "crown" so to speak and now instead of it acting as a divide, they're out of the way and Scottie's input can't be dismissed by vets who believe they're superior. Not accusing them of being awful to Scottie but I don't believe for a second that they didn't believe their way was THE right way is all I'm saying...

I think Darko did said something like: “be the leader doesn’t necessarily be the best player.” During the interview.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,048

Post#31 » by ontnut » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:04 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:Things for next season, I hope...

Better effort all around, especially on defense
Clean up the defensive glass
Clean up defensive rotations
Reduce sloppy / unforced turnovers

It's all good to be the nice guy and help people develop. But we also need to see some accountability and strong habits being formed.

Not to pick on you in particular, Duff, because I appreciate you as a poster (and a mod), but I'm never quite sure what people mean when they say they want to see "accountability".

How exactly would that manifest itself in a way that we could observe? What exactly are we looking for?

It kind of seems like it's one of those catch all terms that people can use whenever they want if results aren't what they're looking for, without pointing to specific process, and just blame poor play on "lack of accountability".

Butt spanks for every missed rotation. Bent over Jim Sann's knees in the 2nd row, after getting taken out.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,429

Post#32 » by Tha Cynic » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Interesting to hear Darko say that Gary grew as a vocal leader on the team over the year. I wouldn't really have guessed that.

From everything we have seen, Gary has exuded good teammate vibes. The dude just goes out and plays regardless of how he's treated. I'm not surprised he has started talking more. It feels like he likes it here and has gotten more comfortable.

Darko also mentioned that the players like the fact that they're all around the same age and like the same things. It's something I figured was a big part of the newfound chemistry we see now and something that reminds me of the Lowry and Derozan years. They're nowhere as good right now, but they have the starting point to get there.

We're in the drafting and acquiring players and increasing their individual values mode again, and chemistry is going to be a huge part of that along with talent.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#33 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:09 pm

Smalltown
Senior
And1: 459

Post#34 » by Smalltown » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:10 pm

DG88 wrote:
Smalltown wrote:

Making the Play-In would be the top end for this team. Low end would be similar to how this season ended. I think they fall in the middle of that.

I don't think we're getting anything close to this season. They were actively tanking and I don't see that happening again.

RJ
Scottie
IQ
Poeltl
Dick
Olynyk

(keeping GTJ out for the moment)

That group played next to nothing together this year. They're not world-beaters. But it's also not 25 win team bad. 10 extra wins really isn't a stretch considering how uneven and inconsistent the east is. I'd put our floor at 35 wins. 35 wins puts us one game out of this years play-in. I'm betting we're an 8-10 team. That's before sorting out the rest of the roster.
manjusaka
Senior

Post#35 » by manjusaka » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:13 pm

Although a down season the players interviews and Darko’s, all gave me a positive vibe. Like their mentality and energy is positive, ready to work on the next stage.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#36 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:13 pm

We can talk offense and improvement of players all we want. If they defense stays as is, this team will be on the outside again. Missing Poeltl hurt but they will need to get bigger this off-season and add more length to this club.
PhilBlackson
RealGM

Post#37 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:14 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Grange asked what do they need via draft. Aside from obvious, Darko mentioned players that can guard multiple positions.

I'm almost certain that if we retain our own pick that we're taking a wing (one of Risacher, Buezlis or Holland).

As good as Dillingham & Sheppard are, that lack of size just will not work defensively long term with IQ who CLEARLY is coming back based both on how Masai/Bobby have focused on him with their statements on him and now IQ saying all the right things about TO as a city.

I'm not sure if they'll have a good enough option left at the IND pick unless maybe Saluan falls. Personally I don't think they'd draft Da Silva or Furphy at 17 as both guys are solid defenders but not elite & probably just project to be at best rotation players and I think this FO knows they need another "sexy" prospect to continue to build up optimism around this rebuild. If we don't keep our pick & Saluan isn't there I don't see them passing on the potentials of Ware or Chomche....and THEN with the DET maybe they spend on a guy like Ryan Dunn and try to work on his jumper with him.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,864

Post#38 » by Thaddy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Grange asked what do they need via draft. Aside from obvious, Darko mentioned players that can guard multiple positions.

I'm almost certain that if we retain our own pick that we're taking a wing (one of Risacher, Buezlis or Holland).

As good as Dillingham & Sheppard are, that lack of size just will not work defensively long term with IQ who CLEARLY is coming back based both on how Masai/Bobby have focused on him with their statements on him and now IQ saying all the right things about TO as a city.

I'm not sure if they'll have a good enough option left at the IND pick unless maybe Saluan falls. Personally I don't think they'd draft Da Silva or Furphy at 17 as both guys are solid defenders but not elite & probably just project to be at best rotation players and I think this FO knows they need another "sexy" prospect to continue to build up optimism around this rebuild. If we don't keep our pick & Saluan isn't there I don't see them passing on the potentials of Ware or Chomche....and THEN with the DET maybe they spend on a guy like Ryan Dunn and try to work on his jumper with him.

This sounds like we'll be targetting Holland. His draft stock took a big hit this season after he was the projected first overall pick. He played with a pretty bad team and in a lesser role he has the capability of being a versatile defender that can create his own shot in a similar manner to Barrett. If he can be a cheaper and better RJ replacement it gives us another asset we can expend.
PhilBlackson
RealGM

Post#39 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:24 pm

Smalltown wrote:
DG88 wrote:
Smalltown wrote:

I don't think we're getting anything close to this season. They were actively tanking and I don't see that happening again.

RJ
Scottie
IQ
Poeltl
Dick
Olynyk

That group played next to nothing together this year. They're not world-beaters. But it's also not 25 win team bad. 10 extra wins really isn't a stretch considering how uneven and inconsistent the east is. I'd put our floor at 35 wins. 35 wins puts us one game out of this years play-in. I'm betting we're an 8-10 team. That's before sorting out the rest of the roster.

Yeah idk how anyone thinks we'll be anywhere near as bad as we were this season...

It took a 15+ game losing streak that required losing essentially our entire starting lineup. Our best player (Scottie), our best defender/rim protector (Yak), our 2nd & 3rd best players being gone from personal tragedies AND even our swing 5th/6th man players being in & out of the line up (Gary/Brown) just to remain in the bottom 6.

Couple that with not having a full training camp together, a roster turnover mid-season (which always said to be dificult) and I'm sorry it's damn near impossible we'll be this bad again. Not to mention I'd expect both ATL & CHI to be worse next year and our guys to continue to improve.

I'm not sure where exactly they'll land due to unforeseen health related issues but assuming decent health, this team will be outside the top 10 of the draft (period) and I could see them going as high as maybe the 7th seed if everything clicks and I don't see us being worse than what current BKN is like. Personally if I had to guess, I think most realistic is having a record similar to this year's Bulls with the upside to replace MIA if age starts to wear Jimmy down/out.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,586

Post#40 » by DG88 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

Smalltown wrote:
DG88 wrote:
Smalltown wrote:

RJ
Scottie
IQ
Poeltl
Dick
Olynyk

I put that number as the low end because as we saw if we lose any or Barnes, Barrett, Poeltl or Quickly for an extended period of time we crater due to the lack of quality depth to replace them in the lineup. It's always a possibility, so you have to factor that in. I'm still in the mind that we're a low 30s team as constructed. A lot will depend on the growth of those players, the teams defense and depth.

Return to Toronto Raptors