ImageImageImageImageImage

Will Poeltl be traded?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Will Poeltl be traded?

Poll runs till Thu May 16, 2024 1:52 pm

I hope so
44%
I hope not
56%

Total votes: 124

Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Re: Will Poeltl be traded? 

Post#21 » by Thaddy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:02 pm

If we convey the pick I would trade certain guys and tank hard for next year. I'd draft high potential but raw guys and leave an obvious hole at the 5 and back up spots.

The easiest way to get bad fast would be to trade Poeltl and RJ for several future picks and take back some firm of a tank commander.

Olynyk - Chomche
Barnes - Salaun
Agbaji - Brown
Dick - Nwora
IQ - JFL

Adding Flagg makes us a contender before 2030
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,328

Post#22 » by Shakril » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:09 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:These are the teams that make the most sense to trade for Poeltl imo:

Houston

Rockets perspective: chemistry with FVV already established, gives them options if they decide to trade Sengun (12-7 without him this season), were rumoured to be interested in 2023 free agency but they likely burned that bridge focusing on Lopez first https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/lists/nba-free-agency-opening-rumors-jakob-poeltl-in-mix-for-rockets-june-30/. Adams would be good to fill the void for the Raptors for one season.

Raptors perspective: can they get Tari Eason or another prospect? Can they get the 2024 Brooklyn pick or the 2025 right to swap with Brooklyn?

OKC

Thunder perspective: need a big body, Chet can’t do it on his own

Raptors perspective: can they get Dieng and 2025 picks? OKC will have their own pick with right to swap with Houston/Clippers, Utah top-10 protected, Miami lottery protected and unprotected in 2026, Philly top-6 protected.

Memphis

Grizzlies perspective: they need a C, JJJr not going to cut it in the middle, but salary and luxury tax is a major factor.

Raptors perspective: Grizzlies have all their future picks but no interesting prospects.

If Houston is going to trade away Sengun why are they bringing in another zero spacing C? If they’re going to move away from Sengun based on their success without him then that is based on a floor spacing system. OKC is a maybe depending on if their size is exploited in the playoffs but Poeltl doesn’t really fit the style they want to play. MEM just traded a Poeltl-adjacent C (Adams) away so I don’t know why they’d turn around and want Poeltl.

I honestly think the market for Poeltl would be weak. At least weak in the sense that were be never getting close to the value back we gave up for him and that’s bad “optics”, which I think would play a small part. I wager there are 25 teams who would look at Poeltl and think “we have a better or equivalent C already in place”.

Who are the teams where Poeltl would be a clear upgrade? And of those teams many have a young C they could talk themselves into being Poeltl-equivalent as soon as next year.

CHI
DET
WAS
MEM
NOP

I’d remove Detroit because they have Duren. So that’s 4 teams where Poeltl seems like a clear upgrade. WAS is in a deep tank and probably won’t want a win now C. Poeltl’s market is probably 3-4 teams.

Yeah. You can scratch your whole comment, cause it simply wrong from start to finisch.

I wager there are 25 teams who would look at Poeltl and think “we have a better or equivalent C already in place”.

After witnessing this season i am kinda surprised that there are still people who think that way about Poeltl.

I will just point 2 things out:

The obsession with spacing, or better strech 5s, is nothing else than a disease of stupidity. In BB it is about fit not about a single skill a Player has to have or a single type of position that has to be played in a certain way.
For those that dont understand: Shooting is only a part of Spacing. Its not the same.

The market for Poeltl was never weak, its rather that teams dont want to pay up for roleplayers, no matter how good they are.
Its a stardriven league after all. So i am pretty sure that there are enough teams that want Poeltl, but have other priorities first.

Outside of your list i have: LAL (AD goes to PF), GS, ORL, ATL, OKC, LAC, PHX, DAL + NOP, MEM, CHI from above.

These are 11 teams where he would be an upgrade, and i only included teams that are at least in the Play-In. And i havent included teams where he would be equivalant or a replacement.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,010

Post#23 » by kalel123 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:24 pm

Depends on which direction team decides to go. I like the current core but we don't have years to waste with them here, with Barnes coming up on year 4 and Quickly likely signing a big contract in the offseason. Need a rather quick turnaround with FO having already wasted away last few years trying to hang onto a wasted core. With that in mind, I would hope they keep Poeltl around as his presence makes a huge difference out there as we have seen this season.

If you want to continue with the current core, we need to move forward, not backwards so Poeltl should be kept. Unless somebody offers a heck of a package with a young prospect at a position of need and future picks. If anything, we need to add another big or a legit PF.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,763

Post#24 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:35 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
If Houston is going to trade away Sengun why are they bringing in another zero spacing C? If they’re going to move away from Sengun based on their success without him then that is based on a floor spacing system. OKC is a maybe depending on if their size is exploited in the playoffs but Poeltl doesn’t really fit the style they want to play. MEM just traded a Poeltl-adjacent C (Adams) away so I don’t know why they’d turn around and want Poeltl.

I honestly think the market for Poeltl would be weak. At least weak in the sense that were be never getting close to the value back we gave up for him and that’s bad “optics”, which I think would play a small part. I wager there are 25 teams who would look at Poeltl and think “we have a better or equivalent C already in place”.

Who are the teams where Poeltl would be a clear upgrade? And of those teams many have a young C they could talk themselves into being Poeltl-equivalent as soon as next year.

CHI
DET
WAS
MEM
NOP

I’d remove Detroit because they have Duren. So that’s 4 teams where Poeltl seems like a clear upgrade. WAS is in a deep tank and probably won’t want a win now C. Poeltl’s market is probably 3-4 teams.

Houston already brought in a zero spacing C in Adams. Poeltl is an upgrade over Adams imo, especially soon-to-be 31 year old Adams coming off an entire missed season due to a knee injury.

But if the plan is to trade Poeltl this off-season why is HOU going to trade Adams (when they haven’t even seen him play) for Poeltl? If HOU moves Sengun isn’t it likely they use Adams as a backup in limited minutes? Either way I don’t know why they’d flip Adams right now.

Houston just finished 41-41. They are going to want to get even better. Poeltl > Adams

Sengun and Poeltl would be the best C duo in the league. If Houston decides to move off Sengun due to poor fit with Green or suspect defense, they then have a starting C already on the roster.

Houston has every incentive to get as good as possible with their draft picks heading to OKC in 2025 (swap) and 2026.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,685

Post#25 » by ConSarnit » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:36 pm

Shakril wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:These are the teams that make the most sense to trade for Poeltl imo:

Houston

Rockets perspective: chemistry with FVV already established, gives them options if they decide to trade Sengun (12-7 without him this season), were rumoured to be interested in 2023 free agency but they likely burned that bridge focusing on Lopez first https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/lists/nba-free-agency-opening-rumors-jakob-poeltl-in-mix-for-rockets-june-30/. Adams would be good to fill the void for the Raptors for one season.

Raptors perspective: can they get Tari Eason or another prospect? Can they get the 2024 Brooklyn pick or the 2025 right to swap with Brooklyn?

OKC

Raptors perspective: can they get Dieng and 2025 picks? OKC will have their own pick with right to swap with Houston/Clippers, Utah top-10 protected, Miami lottery protected and unprotected in 2026, Philly top-6 protected.

Memphis

Grizzlies perspective: they need a C, JJJr not going to cut it in the middle, but salary and luxury tax is a major factor.

Raptors perspective: Grizzlies have all their future picks but no interesting prospects.

CHI
DET
WAS
MEM
NOP

Yeah. You can scratch your whole comment, cause it simply wrong from start to finisch.

I wager there are 25 teams who would look at Poeltl and think “we have a better or equivalent C already in place”.

After witnessing this season i am kinda surprised that there are still people who think that way about Poeltl.

I will just point 2 things out:

The obsession with spacing, or better strech 5s, is nothing else than a disease of stupidity. In BB it is about fit not about a single skill a Player has to have or a single type of position that has to be played in a certain way.
For those that dont understand: Shooting is only a part of Spacing. Its not the same.

The market for Poeltl was never weak, its rather that teams dont want to pay up for roleplayers, no matter how good they are.
Its a stardriven league after all. So i am pretty sure that there are enough teams that want Poeltl, but have other priorities first.

Outside of your list i have: LAL (AD goes to PF), GS, ORL, ATL, OKC, LAC, PHX, DAL + NOP, MEM, CHI from above.

These are 11 teams where he would be an upgrade, and i only included teams that are at least in the Play-In. And i havent included teams where he would be equivalant or a replacement.

You’re completely missing the point. Yes, Poeltl is an upgrade over other C’s but teams are not going to give up any value for him because they will talk themselves into their young C being as good as Poeltl as soon as next year.

DAL: good chance Lively is in the same C tier as Poeltl next year, so why are they going to give up anything good for Poeltl?

DET/CHA: invested in Duren and Williams. Aren’t going to pivot until those guys fail.

MEM: just dumped Adams. Why are they going to bring in Poeltl or offer anything good for him?

PHX: has literally nothing to offer

ATL: Capela and Okongwu. Poeltl is a marginal upgrade at best.

LAL: it’s clear that AD is a full time C now because his shooting has abandoned him and Lebron is also pretty much a full time PF. Also aren’t going to use one of their few remaining draft assets on a player of Poeltl’s ilk.

LAC: Poeltl is not an upgrade over Zubac. Poeltl is a better passer and Zubac is a better rim protector.
Other than that it’s a wash.

ORL: WCJ is in the same tier as Poeltl and is on a cheap contract. Zero reason for them to pursue Poeltl to pair with Franz and Paolo where the spacing is already poor (offense is Orlando’s biggest issue).

Per your equivalent statement: why would any of those teams give up anything for Poeltl to make a lateral move?

The main point: the market for Poeltl is not good. He’s a solid starting C in a league filled with them. The teams that he could upgrade already have a young C they are running with or they are rebuilding and have no need for Poeltl.

You have to give more thought about this. This isn’t an attack on Poeltl. You’re completely ignoring context and specific team situations. Ask yourself why 25 teams in the league would give up anything of real value for Poeltl? They have no incentive to.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,685

Post#26 » by ConSarnit » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:45 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Houston already brought in a zero spacing C in Adams. Poeltl is an upgrade over Adams imo, especially soon-to-be 31 year old Adams coming off an entire missed season due to a knee injury.

But if the plan is to trade Poeltl this off-season why is HOU going to trade Adams (when they haven’t even seen him play) for Poeltl? If HOU moves Sengun isn’t it likely they use Adams as a backup in limited minutes? Either way I don’t know why they’d flip Adams right now.

Houston just finished 41-41. They are going to want to get even better. Poeltl > Adams

Sengun and Poeltl would be the best C duo in the league. If Houston decides to move off Sengun due to poor fit with Green or suspect defense, they then have a starting C already on the roster.

Houston has every incentive to get as good as possible with their draft picks heading to OKC in 2025 (swap) and 2026.

1) how many teams are spending $20m on a positionally locked backup C? Especially one who can’t play with their starter because neither can shoot. HOU is going to trade for Poeltl to play him 16mpg? How does that make sense?

2) HOU hasn’t even seen Adams play. They aren’t going to trade him until they see if he’s healthy.

C is not an issue for Houston. They can play Sengun, Adams and Smith Jr in small ball lineups. They aren’t going to pay $20m for a 15mpg backup and they definitely aren’t going to pay good assets to do so. They can also opt in Landale for $8m who has been playing fine for them.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,298

Post#27 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:50 pm

I think they trade him away either at the deadline or next off-season once they've developed a C that I think they'll end up drafting now.

Whether that's Ware at 20 or Yang/Chomche at 31 (heck maybe even 20). But I think they'll have a hard time passing on the upside of one of these Cs in comparison to what will likely still be available when we pick (I don't see a chance in hell, should we retain our own pick that we'd waste it on Clingan and not roll the dice on finding a higher offensive upside prospect).

I think ultimately they'll bring a younger guy who can ALSO protect the rim & rebound which is the biggest thing Yak contributes BUT has the potential to spread the floor with a jumper and they'll try to teach them how to pass out from the FT line to 3pt line and how to better navigate PnRs. They'll give him AT LEAST half the season to better learn the system and their roles but I can easily see them making it an entire year. Then trade Yak too when he's improved his value by virtue of us having a better record next season and less years remaining on his contract. Also doesn't hurt to let a young C learn from likely a perfect combination of mentors like Kelly & Yak to help them understand how to attack both the perimeter & down on the blocks.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,834

Post#28 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:57 pm

Yes. But probably the season after next. He was always a stop gap IMO and not a guy you have starting on a competing team.

But I see little point in trading him now unless they sign and trade or sign someone like Claxton. Seems likely that they don't trade him without a replacement in place, or its back to square one.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,089

Post#29 » by ItsDanger » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 pm

Yes. This roster needs more from those minutes. Poeltl could be a good fit on several teams that don't need more scoring, someone who doesn't demand the ball.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,328

Post#30 » by Shakril » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 pm

ConSarnit wrote:

DAL: good chance Lively is in the same C tier as Poeltl next year, so why are they going to give up anything good for Poeltl?

Dallas is in Win Now mode. What you expect is to be Lively good now, which he isnt. He is just better as everything else they have. Poeltl is a clear upgrade over him.

DET/CHA: invested in Duren and Williams. Aren’t going to pivot until those guys fail.

They havent been on my list, cause they arent competing.

MEM: just dumped Adams. Why are they going to bring in Poeltl or offer anything good for him?

Cause Adams had a knee injury and they had a throw away season. Poeltl is in his prime and is a great defender.
Ofc Mem is not the first adress i think of, but i see the appeal.

PHX: has literally nothing to offer

We were talking about interest, not what is likely to happen. Just Remember what the Lakers managed to do last year at the Deadline.

ATL: Capela and Okongwu. Poeltl is a marginal upgrade at best.

Just shows how little you understand the C position. He is clearly better than both of them, without question.

LAL: it’s clear that AD is a full time C now because his shooting has abandoned him and Lebron is also pretty much a full time PF. Also aren’t going to use one of their few remaining draft assets on a player of Poeltl’s ilk.

I am not the general Manager of the Lakers, so i dont know what they are willing to give up or not. What i know is, that they would be happy to have a good C in the middle to limit ADs Exposure on that position.

LAC: Poeltl is not an upgrade over Zubac. Poeltl is a better passer and Zubac is a better rim protector.
Other than that it’s a wash.

Let Poeltl play with the same guys as Zubac does and you will see the difference. And no, Zubac is not a better rim protector. Its just easier to do it, when your teammates are able to stand infron of their man and you dont have to help all the time like Poeltl has to.

ORL: WCJ is in the same tier as Poeltl and is on a cheap contract. Zero reason for them to pursue Poeltl to pair with Franz and Paolo where the spacing is already poor (offense is Orlando’s biggest issue).

Poeltl would be better than anything they have right now, yes better than WCJ. Sometimes Hype over certain players cloud the judgement.

Per your equivalent statement: why would any of those teams give up anything for Poeltl to make a lateral move?

The main point: the market for Poeltl is not good. He’s a solid starting C in a league filled with them. The teams that he could upgrade already have a young C they are running with or they are rebuilding and have no need for Poeltl.

You have to give more thought about this. This isn’t an attack on Poeltl. You’re completely ignoring context and specific team situations. Ask yourself why 25 teams in the league would give up anything of real value for Poeltl? They have no incentive to.

I have mentionend 11 Teams, where he is an upgrade. I have said that there are more teams that he would not be worse. And i have only included Play-IN/Offs teams. A market where potentially 15 teams could improve with Poeltl, thats not a bad market, it is a good market.

Instead of beeing stubborn of your own thought, try to understand what Poeltl actually brings to the floor.
The Drop Off with him off the court, than with him on the court was glaring this year. That alone should have made you think twice. Raptors season ended when Poeltl went down in January. He is the Most Important Player of the Raptors right now. Yes we build around Barnes, but sometimes the Roleplayers have a skillset that cant be replaced and it hurts the team overall.
Teams in the League know that and crave for those Players.

I understand that everything is Hype and Flash and Poeltl is neither. But sometimes i wish, there would be more emphasis on what actually is the product and not the package.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,368

Post#31 » by Saul Goodman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:38 pm

If we lose the pick this year then yes I’d say do it as a recoup. You can either tank or try sign Isiah hartenstein

Okc
Poetl

For

Kenrich

Memphis

Poetl
Indy pick

For

Luke Kennard
Derrick rose
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#32 » by brownbobcat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:55 pm

ConSarnit wrote:MEM: just dumped Adams. Why are they going to bring in Poeltl or offer anything good for him?

Memphis is a potential fit. Adams had a major injury and missed the entire year. I think their expectations are to bounce back strong with a healthy Ja and seriously compete. JJJ clearly needs somebody beside him to do the dirty work, he doesn't box out or rebound to save his life and Aldama isn't the answer. They're over cap so the trade market is their best option to fill that spot.

Despite some obvious delusional stans around here, Poelt is not an upgrade for most teams - he is a lower tier starting C. Teams like Dallas, LAC, Orlando or Phoenix are not giving up substantial assets for marginal (at best) improvement. If Poeltl is so great, why does he get played off the floor so easily?
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,763

Post#33 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:16 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:

1) how many teams are spending $20m on a positionally locked backup C? Especially one who can’t play with their starter because neither can shoot. HOU is going to trade for Poeltl to play him 16mpg? How does that make sense?

2) HOU hasn’t even seen Adams play. They aren’t going to trade him until they see if he’s healthy.

C is not an issue for Houston. They can play Sengun, Adams and Smith Jr in small ball lineups. They aren’t going to pay $20m for a 15mpg backup and they definitely aren’t going to pay good assets to do so. They can also opt in Landale for $8m who has been playing fine for them.

Houston are in a great place financially whereby they can afford the luxury of a C like Poeltl making $19.5m off the bench.

Poeltl is better than Adams before Adams knee injury at 30.

C is not an issue. However if they decide to throw in Sengun to get a superstar or decide they don’t want to pay him or they feel their team is better without him, they have options with Poeltl.

Most of the ideas in these forums have hardly any chance of happening. I would include trading Poeltl in that category and definitely a trade to specifically Houston. You have solid reasons for why he wouldn’t get traded there. I think a solid argument can be made for why they’d trade for him. You obviously disagree…I’m gonna go cry now lol
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,176

Post#34 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:35 pm

Thaddy wrote:If we convey the pick I would trade certain guys and tank hard for next year. I'd draft high potential but raw guys and leave an obvious hole at the 5 and back up spots.

The easiest way to get bad fast would be to trade Poeltl and RJ for several future picks and take back some firm of a tank commander.

Olynyk - Chomche
Barnes - Salaun
Agbaji - Brown
Dick - Nwora
IQ - JFL

If you are tanking hard, why does conveying this year matter at all? Why not draft a guy this year and tank and take a guy next year to?
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
plainballing
Head Coach
And1: 1,590

Post#35 » by plainballing » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:41 pm

Unless Poeltl demand for a trade, I would keep him if we cannot get a lottery pick for 25/26.

Poeltl will be a good locker room guy and at least provide some decent centre play. We were terrible without him this season and I am not sure if the draft or FA have any replacement with the same price tag.
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/lillehammer/Turbo_Zone_Little_Ozzy_Davis.jpg
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,666

Post#36 » by C_Money » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:59 pm

To a losing team for a high 1st round pick, sure. Otherwise no.

They’re not trading him anyways tbh.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,834

Post#37 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:12 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Thaddy wrote:If we convey the pick I would trade certain guys and tank hard for next year. I'd draft high potential but raw guys and leave an obvious hole at the 5 and back up spots.

Olynyk - Chomche
Barnes - Salaun
Agbaji - Brown
Dick - Nwora
IQ - JFL

If you are tanking hard, why does conveying this year matter at all? Why not draft a guy this year and tank and take a guy next year to?

What if they don't tank hard enough and be lucky enough next year to even keep the pick? Let alone a 15% chance at Flagg. (And that's all it is by tanking, 15% measly percent). A one in 7 shot you get Flagg by destroying everything. Because if you are doing that, and lose that badly, you might as well trade Barnes too. He will be gone anyway. You would need to blow it ALL up.

By tanking this year they have made the best of a **** situation, and made sure that their best odds are to keep a top 4 pick or convey it. The has worst odds and what they probably consider the most unlucky is if it remains 6th.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,577

Post#38 » by 2019nbachamps » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:14 pm

I don't think he gets traded this summer for the following reasons:

1. We're going to try to make the playoffs/play-in next year
2. We paid over market value to get him and are unlikely to get a good enough return to make us better
3. Our front court depth chart is weak
4. It might be more beneficial to draft a young C/PF and have Poeltl groom him for a couple of seasons

I think this is going to be another incremental summer:

1. IQ gets resigned
2. GTJ walks
3. Bruce Brown is traded, or we bring him back and trade him during the season
4. Cap space is used to fill out the roster
5. We fill out 2-3 depth spots with our draft picks
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,778

Post#39 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:20 pm

Highly doubtful for many reasons.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,440

Post#40 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:28 pm

Houston

OKC

Memphis

At the draft for something like Poeltl + Boucher for Kennard, Clark, MEM 2024 FRP would be pretty good for everyone.

Return to Toronto Raptors