ImageImageImageImageImage

Will Poeltl be traded?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Will Poeltl be traded?

Poll runs till Thu May 16, 2024 1:52 pm

I hope so
44%
I hope not
56%

Total votes: 124

ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,772

Will Poeltl be traded? 

Post#1 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:52 pm

I thought it was only the hardest of tWo members who gave serious thought to trading Poeltl. In the last couple of days, Brad Fay on the last Raptors pre-game show of the season with Sherman Hamilton mentioned the possibility that Poeltl could be a trade chip. Then I came across this click bait piece on top NBA off-season trade targets:

5. Jakob Poeltl, Toronto Raptors

The center position is back and better than ever in the NBA, and that means teams need starting caliber centers that can guard elite big men like Nikola Jokic and Joel Embiid. Jakob Poeltl has the size, strength, and rim-protection ability to hold his own against the NBA's elite offensive centers.

While he lacks some as a scorer, play-finishing centers with the ability to protect the paint are in demand, and Jakob Poeltl seems like a prime candidate to be traded this offseason. Last offseason, Poeltl signed a four-year extension that can keep him in Toronto until 2027, but a lot can/has changed over the course of one season.

Since last offseason, the Raptors have gone into full rebuild mode, and that meant they traded a number of their best players in order to get younger and add draft capital. Toronto may view Poeltl as a building block to keep for the next era, but it would also make a lot of sense to trade the big man and add to their future.

The Raptors lost 19 of their last 21 games, so it has become clear that the roster as is will not be able to compete for the playoffs, and Poeltl would likely be their best trade chip this offseason. Additionally, it was reported last year that Poeltl did not want to be on a rebuilding team (via Adam Laskaris of dailyhive.com), meaning it wouldn't come as a surprise if the center was to demand a trade this offseason. If he were to, he would be one of the best trade targets for center-needy NBA teams.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-trade-targets-2024-offseason

I’m not giving the Clutch Points article any credibility. There are no legit sources there, similar to when everyone and their dog thought trading Siakam for #7 and #14 in 2021 was a real possibility, when in fact it was an analyst floating a trade idea. But it does highlight that those looking from the outside see Poeltl as a possible trade target.

There is no question, trading Poeltl could be a sign of waving the white flag on the 2024-2025 season. However, Poeltl has said he has no desire to be a part of a team seeking a top pick. From the Raptors perspective he was brought in to be a part of a core that included FVV, OG, and Pascal who are all now gone.

Assuming Poeltl is traded for actual assets (prospects and/or picks) and not just a salary dump, would you trade him?
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Re: Will Poeltl be traded? 

Post#2 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:53 pm

These are the teams that make the most sense to trade for Poeltl imo:

Houston

Rockets perspective: chemistry with FVV already established, gives them options if they decide to trade Sengun (12-7 without him this season), were rumoured to be interested in 2023 free agency but they likely burned that bridge focusing on Lopez first https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/lists/nba-free-agency-opening-rumors-jakob-poeltl-in-mix-for-rockets-june-30/. Adams would be good to fill the void for the Raptors for one season.

Raptors perspective: can they get Tari Eason or another prospect? Can they get the 2024 Brooklyn pick or the 2025 right to swap with Brooklyn?

OKC

Thunder perspective: need a big body, Chet can’t do it on his own

Raptors perspective: can they get Dieng and 2025 picks? OKC will have their own pick with right to swap with Houston/Clippers, Utah top-10 protected, Miami lottery protected and unprotected in 2026, Philly top-6 protected.

Memphis

Grizzlies perspective: they need a C, JJJr not going to cut it in the middle, but salary and luxury tax is a major factor.

Raptors perspective: Grizzlies have all their future picks but no interesting prospects.
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,328

Post#3 » by Shakril » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:58 pm

I believe he will be traded, though i dont want him to be traded. We wont find anyone better than him.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,523

Post#4 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:00 pm

I don't think they will this off-season but things could change if they get #1 .. even then you can make the argument to roll with Sarr/Poeltl for a year until he gets his feet wet
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,606

Post#5 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:02 pm

I doubt it happens this offseason. If it were to happen it will probably be around the trade deadline if they decide to do another 1/4 season tank.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,797

Post#6 » by Lord_Zedd » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:02 pm

I'd only trade him if there's a team willing to cough up a decent 2025 1st and/or we land a top pick for Dino-Sarr.

He's still a fine player and actually cared about defending his side of the basket. His contract will age well since it's static.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,190

Post#7 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:10 pm

Seems like a classic "it depends" on what is offered

If we are going to win with Scottie it has to start in the next 3ish years. We have Poeltl locked up for 3 years thru his prime. You only make the deal if you get back assets that you think are going to improve us in the next few years.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,580

Post#8 » by bluerap23 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 pm

One factor is this years pick. If it conveys to the spurs I could see us trading Yak and tanking next year. If we keep it I think we go for playin next year.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,646

Post#9 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:These are the teams that make the most sense to trade for Poeltl imo:

Houston

Rockets perspective: chemistry with FVV already established, gives them options if they decide to trade Sengun (12-7 without him this season), were rumoured to be interested in 2023 free agency but they likely burned that bridge focusing on Lopez first https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/lists/nba-free-agency-opening-rumors-jakob-poeltl-in-mix-for-rockets-june-30/. Adams would be good to fill the void for the Raptors for one season.

Raptors perspective: can they get Tari Eason or another prospect? Can they get the 2024 Brooklyn pick or the 2025 right to swap with Brooklyn?

OKC

Raptors perspective: can they get Dieng and 2025 picks? OKC will have their own pick with right to swap with Houston/Clippers, Utah top-10 protected, Miami lottery protected and unprotected in 2026, Philly top-6 protected.

Memphis

Grizzlies perspective: they need a C, JJJr not going to cut it in the middle, but salary and luxury tax is a major factor.

Raptors perspective: Grizzlies have all their future picks but no interesting prospects.

OKC makes sense if they don't make it to the NBA Finals.

Would we be okay with a 1st round pick back? Though it might be in the 20's. Dort and 1st pick (2025 or 2026) for Poeltl works. This would free up playing time for Cason Wallace and Isaiah Joe.

PG IQ - Reed/JFL
SG Dick - Dort
SF Barret - Dick - Agbaji
PF Barnes - Barrett - Boucher
C Olynyk - Barnes/Chomche
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,700

Post#10 » by ConSarnit » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:32 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:These are the teams that make the most sense to trade for Poeltl imo:

Houston

OKC

Memphis

If Houston is going to trade away Sengun why are they bringing in another zero spacing C? If they’re going to move away from Sengun based on their success without him then that is based on a floor spacing system. OKC is a maybe depending on if their size is exploited in the playoffs but Poeltl doesn’t really fit the style they want to play. MEM just traded a Poeltl-adjacent C (Adams) away so I don’t know why they’d turn around and want Poeltl.

I honestly think the market for Poeltl would be weak. At least weak in the sense that were be never getting close to the value back we gave up for him and that’s bad “optics”, which I think would play a small part. I wager there are 25 teams who would look at Poeltl and think “we have a better or equivalent C already in place”.

Who are the teams where Poeltl would be a clear upgrade? And of those teams many have a young C they could talk themselves into being Poeltl-equivalent as soon as next year.

CHI
DET
WAS
MEM
NOP

I’d remove Detroit because they have Duren. So that’s 4 teams where Poeltl seems like a clear upgrade. WAS is in a deep tank and probably won’t want a win now C. Poeltl’s market is probably 3-4 teams.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:38 pm

ConSarnit wrote:

Houston

OKC

Memphis

If Houston is going to trade away Sengun why are they bringing in another zero spacing C? If they’re going to move away from Sengun based on their success without him then that is based on a floor spacing system. OKC is a maybe depending on if their size is exploited in the playoffs but Poeltl doesn’t really fit the style they want to play. MEM just traded a Poeltl-adjacent C (Adams) away so I don’t know why they’d turn around and want Poeltl.

I honestly think the market for Poeltl would be weak. At least weak in the sense that were be never getting close to the value back we gave up for him and that’s bad “optics”, which I think would play a small part. I wager there are 25 teams who would look at Poeltl and think “we have a better or equivalent C already in place”.

Who are the teams where Poeltl would be a clear upgrade? And of those teams many have a young C they could talk themselves into being Poeltl-equivalent as soon as next year.

CHI
DET
WAS
MEM
NOP

I’d remove Detroit because they have Duren. So that’s 4 teams where Poeltl seems like a clear upgrade. WAS is in a deep tank and probably won’t want a win now C. Poeltl’s market is probably 3-4 teams.

Houston already brought in a zero spacing C in Adams. Poeltl is an upgrade over Adams imo, especially soon-to-be 31 year old Adams coming off an entire missed season due to a knee injury.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,134

Post#12 » by MiamiSPX » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:41 pm

Even though I hated the trade, his contract is very good. 19.5M is bench player money pretty soon.

He won't be traded, although I wouldn't care if he was. He is a fine enough stop gap measure until we're ready to contend.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,134

Post#13 » by MiamiSPX » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:43 pm

Psubs wrote:

Houston

OKC

Memphis

Would we be okay with a 1st round pick back? Though it might be in the 20's. Dort and 1st pick (2025 or 2026) for Poeltl works. This would free up playing time for Cason Wallace and Isaiah Joe.

PG IQ - Reed/JFL
SG Dick - Dort

I'd probably make that trade, but your proposed starting lineup would be among the worst teams defensively. Dick won't be ready to start next season, and Kelly is a turnstile defensively, and that is being nice and coming from a guy who likes him. Unless you are going for another tank season?
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,605

Post#14 » by Ackshun » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 pm

Masai and Bobby will likely want to see how this team looks healthy with a full camp.

Unless someone makes a compelling offer, I don’t see it.

As mentioned elsewhere, I’m fine moving him if we find another C project in the first round. I think it’s a good year for further development and roster adjustments.

However, Bobby Webster skipped the chapter on sunk costs in university so I ultimately think he stays, especially if we give up our pick this year.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by ConSarnit » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 pm

Psubs wrote:

Houston

OKC

Memphis

PG IQ - Reed/JFL
SG Dick - Dort

That seems like a lot for Poeltl. Dort is a legitimate 3+D player who is on a good contract. He might be worth more than Poeltl on the open market. I’d wager OKC would not have much interest in Poeltl given he doesn’t fit their style of play (everyone can shoot and attack the rim) and if they’re going to take a swing it will probably be on a bigger name given their flexibility for the next 2 seasons. I feel like if OKC is looking for bigger body backup C they might want to go a cheaper route given that Poeltl would probably come off the bench for them.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by ConSarnit » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:49 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Houston

OKC

Memphis

PG IQ - Reed/JFL
SG Dick - Dort

I'd probably make that trade, but your proposed starting lineup would be among the worst teams defensively. Dick won't be ready to start next season, and Kelly is a turnstile defensively, and that is being nice and coming from a guy who likes him. Unless you are going for another tank season?

I guess the question is: are we bad enough to make a tank worthwhile? I feel like getting rid of Poeltl doesn’t make us a bottom 5 team and if we’re not in the bottom 5 do we want to have to go through another “will we or won’t we keep the pick” season (if we don’t convey this year). It’s a tough call if trading Poeltl makes us a surefire bottom 5 team (which I think we need to be to justify a tank).
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,646

Post#17 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:49 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Houston

OKC

Memphis

PG IQ - Reed/JFL
SG Dick - Dort

Could tank for 2 more seasons and if finish in the bottom 6 again and again, just have to give SA two 2nd rounders. :D By then should have enough talent to float up like OKC
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by ConSarnit » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:53 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:

Houston

OKC

Memphis

CHI
DET
WAS
MEM
NOP

Houston already brought in a zero spacing C in Adams. Poeltl is an upgrade over Adams imo, especially soon-to-be 31 year old Adams coming off an entire missed season due to a knee injury.

But if the plan is to trade Poeltl this off-season why is HOU going to trade Adams (when they haven’t even seen him play) for Poeltl? If HOU moves Sengun isn’t it likely they use Adams as a backup in limited minutes? Either way I don’t know why they’d flip Adams right now.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,674

Post#19 » by hyper316 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:54 pm

Here's to hoping trading Poeltl for the next Kawhi like deal
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#20 » by bboyskinnylegs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:59 pm

I don't think we're trading Yak without first acquiring another big.

Return to Toronto Raptors