ImageImageImageImageImage

Will Poeltl be traded?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Will Poeltl be traded?

Poll runs till Thu May 16, 2024 1:52 pm

I hope so
44%
I hope not
56%

Total votes: 124

PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Re: Will Poeltl be traded? 

Post#101 » by PerfectJab » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:38 pm

Not sure if he will be traded but for sure you're not going to get a top 6 protected (likely lottery) pick for him even with the contract.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#102 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:47 pm

Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Scase wrote:I think the first question is already a no, he's said more than a few things publicly that have hinted at it. And the second question, I don't see how it's a yes either. Slow big with no range, and doesn't have the best hands. I'm not sure how that fits into a team that needs spacing, and has a dynamic passer like Scottie. We've seen plenty of times where he fumbled passes cause Scottie overestimated his ability to catch them, and while some of that can be put on Scottie, we need bigs who can catch them, cause they are great passes.

The question is, can they swallow their egos and lose him for a worse package than they traded him for? Cause there is not a single team in the league that is likely to give up a top 6 protected pick whilst being a lotto bound team. Just kinda need to take the L.

On the trade market I think the only competition if Poeltl was available is going to be NY with Mitchell.

The teams with a glaring need at C are Memphis, NO, and OKC. Each of those teams have issues making not perfect trade partners, from financial to fit.

Golden State could be an option. If Adams isn’t healthy or the injury has harmed his mobility, I could make a case with Houston. Depending on where Wemby plays for San Antonio, I could also see that as a fit. Houston and San Antonio were also rumoured free agent suitors last summer.

I’d like to see Dieng and one of PHI/MIA 2025 from OKC…that would be my ideal scenario. Plus it would be a great situation for Poeltl.

Poeltl has a PO on his last year in 2026-2027 so he is only under contract for 2024-2025 and 2025-2026. In other words he’ll possible be an expiring going into next summer. If they are going to trade him they best do it now imo.

Ugh, god damned masai and giving out POs. There is no way that a 31 year old Jak is turning 20mil, not a team in the league is likely to even give him a multi year deal that matches that. OKC is my dream trade partner.

OKC is another fascinating team. What are they going to do?

They will have possibly 12 players under contract, about $40m in cap space, and they have another late lottery pick from Houston.

Then 2025 draft they have their own (with swap rights for Houston and LAC), Utah (top 10 protected), Miami (lotto protected unprotected 2026), and Philly (top 6 protected)….possibly 4 picks.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,330

Post#103 » by Scase » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:01 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
On the trade market I think the only competition if Poeltl was available is going to be NY with Mitchell.

The teams with a glaring need at C are Memphis, NO, and OKC. Each of those teams have issues making not perfect trade partners, from financial to fit.

Golden State could be an option. If Adams isn’t healthy or the injury has harmed his mobility, I could make a case with Houston. Depending on where Wemby plays for San Antonio, I could also see that as a fit. Houston and San Antonio were also rumoured free agent suitors last summer.

I’d like to see Dieng and one of PHI/MIA 2025 from OKC…that would be my ideal scenario. Plus it would be a great situation for Poeltl.

Poeltl has a PO on his last year in 2026-2027 so he is only under contract for 2024-2025 and 2025-2026. In other words he’ll possible be an expiring going into next summer. If they are going to trade him they best do it now imo.

Ugh, god damned masai and giving out POs. There is no way that a 31 year old Jak is turning 20mil, not a team in the league is likely to even give him a multi year deal that matches that. OKC is my dream trade partner.

They will have possibly 12 players under contract, about $40m in cap space, and they have another late lottery pick from Houston.

Then 2025 draft they have their own (with swap rights for Houston and LAC), Utah (top 10 protected), Miami (lotto protected unprotected 2026), and Philly (top 6 protected)….possibly 4 picks.

Virtually anything they want lol. It's crazy how perfect of a situation Presti built out there, and it's hard to not be jealous. I'm interested to see how they do in the playoffs, I can't see them not making it to the 2nd round, but I think Chet will get demolished against any real centers. And I hope that happens, gives us maybe a better shot at moving Jak.
Props TZ!
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#104 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:07 pm

Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Scase wrote:Ugh, god damned masai and giving out POs. There is no way that a 31 year old Jak is turning 20mil, not a team in the league is likely to even give him a multi year deal that matches that. OKC is my dream trade partner.

Virtually anything they want lol. It's crazy how perfect of a situation Presti built out there, and it's hard to not be jealous. I'm interested to see how they do in the playoffs, I can't see them not making it to the 2nd round, but I think Chet will get demolished against any real centers. And I hope that happens, gives us maybe a better shot at moving Jak.

Yes. I’m praying they recognize they need a big body.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,863

Post#105 » by Zeno » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:38 pm

If they keep the pick and move up, I really wouldn’t mind drafting Clingan. If they do that than it means moving Yak though perhaps not immediately. The Grizz are probably locked in on Clingan already so perhaps him being off the board when they pick opens up the Yak market for them.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,529

Post#106 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:08 am

He’s sure to be a vital piece to our title run next year.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
iBall101
Pro Prospect
And1: 271

Post#107 » by iBall101 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:17 am

I hope so. Respectfully.
Solid Center but he does not mesh well with the young trio core. They need a fast moving 5. I would call up Portland for TimeLord. Defensive stud plus lob threat.
:nod: Masai’s Raptors :nod:

PG: I. Quickley/ T. Horton-Tucker/ J. Freeman
SG: G. Trent Jr./ G. Dick/ B. Brown
SF: R. Barrett/ O. Agbaji / G. Temple
PF: S. Barnes/ T. Lyles/ J. Crowder
C: J. Poeltl/ K. Olynk/ J. Porter
iBall101
Pro Prospect
And1: 271

Post#108 » by iBall101 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:23 am

mrdressup wrote:Hou would be insane to not ship us Sengun for Trent Jr, Boucher, McDaniels and 2 second round picks. Sengun is clearly just an unreliable bench piece with no upside. We can offer certain value.

Houston would laugh and hang up the phone.
They view that kid as the second coming of Pau Gasol.
:nod: Masai’s Raptors :nod:

PG: I. Quickley/ T. Horton-Tucker/ J. Freeman
SG: G. Trent Jr./ G. Dick/ B. Brown
SF: R. Barrett/ O. Agbaji / G. Temple
PF: S. Barnes/ T. Lyles/ J. Crowder
C: J. Poeltl/ K. Olynk/ J. Porter
Scase
RealGM

Post#109 » by Scase » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:42 am

Harry Palmer wrote:He’s sure to be a vital piece to our title run next year.

On the bright side, it's not like he cost us a lotto pick, and we're a lotto team.
Props TZ!
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#110 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:17 pm

Re: Memphis

Or should Memphis look to attach the first to Kennard's $14.7 million salary for a starting center to complement Jaren Jackson Jr.? They could also keep the pick and select a player like Connecticut's Donovan Clingan. Per Cleaning the Glass, the Grizzlies were outscored by 7.4 per 100 points per possession this season when Jaren Jackson Jr. started at center. In the 63% possessions he spent at power forward in 2022-23, the Grizzlies were plus-10.5 points per 100 possessions.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/39854732/nba-offseason-2024-draft-trade-free-agency-guides-every-eliminated-nba-team#mem

If Memphis went the trade route I could see them pursuing Mitchell Robinson over Poeltl, even though Poeltl is a much better player.

Robinson makes $14.3m next year and $12.9 the following year. $5m and $6.5m a big deal for a team flirting so close to luxury tax.

Jackson rebounding is also awful: 4.2Oreb%, 15Dreb%, 9.4Treb%
___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,905

Post#111 » by ___Rand___ » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:00 pm

Wrong poll questions. I don't care either way. But I don't think we're trading him.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#112 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:16 pm

___Rand___ wrote:Wrong poll questions. I don't care either way. But I don't think we're trading him.

Exactly. If the responses were straight yes or no, no would be overwhelming response. I think just about everyone recognizes that. I’d even vote no if it was straight yes or no and I really hope he is traded.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,955

Post#113 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:18 am

dagger wrote:The New Orleans situation is interesting, especially after last night when JV wasn't especially effective in the Pels' defeat. He's turning 32 in May, a UFA, and it begs the question if they want him back, and how many dollars and years would they offer him. Re-signing him will take them up to the tax line, making it hard to make other improvements. Poeltl has a medium-sized, flat-lined contract (3 more years at $19.5m per season), so that's salary certainty. His deal takes him through his age 31 season. NO has Zion as its scoring machine, Ingram and McCullough as big time scorers as well. NO has extra draft picks. I wonder if they would prefer trading for Poeltl so they can offload some salary and leave room under the tax line for using some or all of the MLE.

They can't play JV much vs James Lakers or lots of other teams for the same old reasons. But Poeltl not being able to shoot free throws creates a similar end of game problem. At least they would be able to play him 28-30 minutes instead of less than 20 and trying to survive those minutes. NOP needs an upgrade at C but I'm not sure Poeltl would be their guy. I think they are looking for the same archetype we would be looking for to start. Then they could move JV to backup, which age is going to do pretty soon anyway.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,955

Post#114 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:25 am

Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Scase wrote:I think the first question is already a no, he's said more than a few things publicly that have hinted at it. And the second question, I don't see how it's a yes either. Slow big with no range, and doesn't have the best hands. I'm not sure how that fits into a team that needs spacing, and has a dynamic passer like Scottie. We've seen plenty of times where he fumbled passes cause Scottie overestimated his ability to catch them, and while some of that can be put on Scottie, we need bigs who can catch them, cause they are great passes.

The question is, can they swallow their egos and lose him for a worse package than they traded him for? Cause there is not a single team in the league that is likely to give up a top 6 protected pick whilst being a lotto bound team. Just kinda need to take the L.

When are some of you going to figure out that the team plays in Toronto and they have to make deals more player friendly simply because it is Toronto, and that they don't have the same options available to them as Miami, New York, LA, Dallas, etc. for every player.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,511

Post#115 » by ForeverTFC » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:29 am

Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Scase wrote:Ugh, god damned masai and giving out POs. There is no way that a 31 year old Jak is turning 20mil, not a team in the league is likely to even give him a multi year deal that matches that. OKC is my dream trade partner.

Oddly enough, him chasing the playoffs with Westbrook and taking a chance on trading for PG was his most important moves. He got bailed out by getting SGA. No team other than the Clippers makes that trade. There were more people questioning whether he was washed than are doing so about Masai today believe it or not, until that trade was forced on him.

They’re in good position right now but have a bit of a cap hell approaching them - SGA, Chet and JWill will all be on the max in 2 years. He also needs to consolidate his picks asap because he’s literally run out of roster spots. Masai needs to go there and get a ‘25 pick, especially if we don’t convey this year.
Scase
RealGM

Post#116 » by Scase » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:57 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Oddly enough, him chasing the playoffs with Westbrook and taking a chance on trading for PG was his most important moves. He got bailed out by getting SGA. No team other than the Clippers makes that trade. There were more people questioning whether he was washed than are doing so about Masai today believe it or not, until that trade was forced on him.

They’re in good position right now but have a bit of a cap hell approaching them - SGA, Chet and JWill will all be on the max in 2 years. He also needs to consolidate his picks asap because he’s literally run out of roster spots. Masai needs to go there and get a ‘25 pick, especially if we don’t convey this year.

We're all always saying how important luck is, this for sure fits the bill. But he pushed for SGA, so I think the luck comes from the Clips being dumb lol.

As for this cap hell issue, that is a great problem to have. I would rather have multiple players that deserve to be maxed, rather than being forced into maxing one that shouldn't. Especially while being the 1st seed in the west.

But yeah, I'm hoping masai can send them Jak and steal a pick or two away, it would really accelerate the build.
Props TZ!
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,901

Post#117 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:23 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

When are some of you going to figure out that the team plays in Toronto and they have to make deals more player friendly simply because it is Toronto, and that they don't have the same options available to them as Miami, New York, LA, Dallas, etc. for every player.

I think we keep it simple. What we do with Poetl is not shop him around rather we ask ourselves what would we like and who we like who could have an impact on both sides of a trade and on the floor. No picks involved. Dallas only has young Lively and Luka is desperate for an improved starting cast. Enter Poetl. He is much better positioned to play 30 mins and mentor Lively than go to the Pels or whomever we could invent as outside contenders. Dallas has the true core piece to be a contender. Poetl plays up tempo and is not a high mileage player. All I ask for is PJ Washing to fill the void at power foward in our starting five. No fuss and no muss. Poetl is proven to impact winning and he would make them much stronger down low. We would get the everyman consumate role player with a motor at age 25.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,901

Post#118 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:28 pm

In other words we never take the auction approach.
Scase
RealGM

Post#119 » by Scase » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:33 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

I think we keep it simple. What we do with Poetl is not shop him around rather we ask ourselves what would we like and who we like who could have an impact on both sides of a trade and on the floor. No picks involved. Dallas only has young Lively and Luka is desperate for an improved starting cast. Enter Poetl. He is much better positioned to play 30 mins and mentor Lively than go to the Pels or whomever we could invent as outside contenders. Dallas has the true core piece to be a contender. Poetl plays up tempo and is not a high mileage player. All I ask for is PJ Washing to fill the void at power foward in our starting five. No fuss and no muss. Poetl is proven to impact winning and he would make them much stronger down low. We would get the everyman consumate role player with a motor at age 25.

I'm sorry PF void in our SL? Are you saying that you want Scottie playing the 3? PJ is 26 by the start of next season, and will be a UFA at 28 years old, I do not see how this helps the team moving forward at all. The purpose of going after picks is getting salary control and value, all while picking exactly what you want for your team.

I'm sorry but this is just a trade that helps the mavs way more than us.
Props TZ!
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,511

Post#120 » by ForeverTFC » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:47 pm

Scase wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Scase wrote:Virtually anything they want lol. It's crazy how perfect of a situation Presti built out there, and it's hard to not be jealous. I'm interested to see how they do in the playoffs, I can't see them not making it to the 2nd round, but I think Chet will get demolished against any real centers. And I hope that happens, gives us maybe a better shot at moving Jak.

We're all always saying how important luck is, this for sure fits the bill. But he pushed for SGA, so I think the luck comes from the Clips being dumb lol.

As for this cap hell issue, that is a great problem to have. I would rather have multiple players that deserve to be maxed, rather than being forced into maxing one that shouldn't. Especially while being the 1st seed in the west.

But yeah, I'm hoping masai can send them Jak and steal a pick or two away, it would really accelerate the build.

I forgot where I heard/read this but apparently, the Clippers thought if they didn't get Kawhi, he was going to the Lakers - which in their opinion would have kept them forever irrelevant in LA. So not only was SGA for PG the cost of getting Kawhi, it was also the cost of saving their franchise in their minds. So given the chance to re-do the deal, they still do it 100 times out of 100 because the ramifications of losing the star to the Lakers at that moment in time was devastating.

And who's there to benefit? Prestie.

I was really hoping the Warriors, Cavs or Sacramento would face a similar existential crisis which would bring them to the table for Siakam. Unfortunately, it the Warriors and Kings (and probably Cavs in a few weeks) are now facing this crisis 4 months later than we needed it to. If we had Pascal under contract this off-season, I'm pretty positive we get a better return. If this rebuild doesn't go well, we might point to how underwhelming the Pascal trade was as the reason why.

Return to Toronto Raptors