ImageImageImageImageImage

Will Poeltl be traded?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Will Poeltl be traded?

Poll runs till Thu May 16, 2024 1:52 pm

I hope so
44%
I hope not
56%

Total votes: 124

ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,767

Re: Will Poeltl be traded? 

Post#81 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:39 am

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:I love how the title of the poll is about "will he be traded" and then you asked for what people hoped. Trying to stir up sh** eh?

Joke of a poll, of course he shouldnt be traded. He's what we have needed for a long time, and then like a bunch of internet dwellers, this board rather sacrifice the integrity of a team for a 14.5 percent chance at a 10 percent chance for a generational talent, add another 50 percent chance of that 20 percent chance of the 14.5 percent chance. they will stay healthy. This board wants to gamble more than Jontay Porter

I think everyone would agree the chances Poeltl is traded is very low. I don't think he'll be traded, but I sure hope he does. So if it was a straight yes or no, I'd select no, as would most people imo. Putting the answers as someone's hope, allows people to state what they prefer vs. what they think. That was the rationale behind the poll responses.

Everyone knows the best probabilities of finding elite talent is at the top of the draft. That is a topic that has been discussed numerous times. It isn't the only place but, again, it is the highest probability.

Based on your statements in the second paragraph, the Raptors have sacrificed their integrity 2 of the last 4 years. So what is a third in five?
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#82 » by dagger » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:07 pm

The New Orleans situation is interesting, especially after last night when JV wasn't especially effective in the Pels' defeat. He's turning 32 in May, a UFA, and it begs the question if they want him back, and how many dollars and years would they offer him. Re-signing him will take them up to the tax line, making it hard to make other improvements. Poeltl has a medium-sized, flat-lined contract (3 more years at $19.5m per season), so that's salary certainty. His deal takes him through his age 31 season. NO has Zion as its scoring machine, Ingram and McCullough as big time scorers as well. NO has extra draft picks. I wonder if they would prefer trading for Poeltl so they can offload some salary and leave room under the tax line for using some or all of the MLE.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#83 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:41 pm

dagger wrote:The New Orleans situation is interesting, especially after last night when JV wasn't especially effective in the Pels' defeat. He's turning 32 in May, a UFA, and it begs the question if they want him back, and how many dollars and years would they offer him. Re-signing him will take them up to the tax line, making it hard to make other improvements. Poeltl has a medium-sized, flat-lined contract (3 more years at $19.5m per season), so that's salary certainty. His deal takes him through his age 31 season. NO has Zion as its scoring machine, Ingram and McCullough as big time scorers as well. NO has extra draft picks. I wonder if they would prefer trading for Poeltl so they can offload some salary and leave room under the tax line for using some or all of the MLE.

With Zion, they need a 5 who can space the floor. Not sure what they are going to do tbh. They have some decisions to make with Murphy due an extension this summer or next.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,597

Post#84 » by HangTime » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:50 pm

If the team asked Jakob to shoot 500 threes per day in the offseason. Do you think he could be a 20% 3-point shooter by the start of the season.

Maybe even alter his shooting form.

Just to see what happens.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,783

Post#85 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:15 pm

JV was especially bad defensively last night so I did think about a Poeltl fit. Obviously he’s still only situational for them like JV because of the spacing issue. Defensive 5’s that don’t clog the paint aren’t in abundance though.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
rapsincr
Starter
And1: 2,307

Post#86 » by rapsincr » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:41 pm

i would laugh super hard if we retain our pick this year, trade poetl for a 1st and decent young player then finish bottom 6 next year, effectively giving 2 seconds for a 1st, a player, and 2 years of poetl. would put a whole new perspective on the quality of that original trade.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#87 » by dagger » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:18 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
dagger wrote:The New Orleans situation is interesting, especially after last night when JV wasn't especially effective in the Pels' defeat. He's turning 32 in May, a UFA, and it begs the question if they want him back, and how many dollars and years would they offer him. Re-signing him will take them up to the tax line, making it hard to make other improvements. Poeltl has a medium-sized, flat-lined contract (3 more years at $19.5m per season), so that's salary certainty. His deal takes him through his age 31 season. NO has Zion as its scoring machine, Ingram and McCullough as big time scorers as well. NO has extra draft picks. I wonder if they would prefer trading for Poeltl so they can offload some salary and leave room under the tax line for using some or all of the MLE.

With Zion, they need a 5 who can space the floor. Not sure what they are going to do tbh. They have some decisions to make with Murphy due an extension this summer or next.

The rumour last summer and at the trade deadline was that they wanted to upgrade their D at the centre position. And if they bring JV back and he gets more than one guaranteed year, that will raise tax issues id they extend Murphy. They also have three FRPs in the next two drafts, which means added salary unless they trade one or more of the picks.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#88 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:23 pm

dagger wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

The rumour last summer and at the trade deadline was that they wanted to upgrade their D at the centre position. And if they bring JV back and he gets more than one guaranteed year, that will raise tax issues id they extend Murphy. They also have three FRPs in the next two drafts, which means added salary unless they trade one or more of the picks.

Okongwu makes a lot of sense for them
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,149

Post#89 » by Chandan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:35 pm

rapsincr wrote:i would laugh super hard if we retain our pick this year, trade poetl for a 1st and decent young player then finish bottom 6 next year, effectively giving 2 seconds for a 1st, a player, and 2 years of poetl. would put a whole new perspective on the quality of that original trade.

why not just trade Poetl for wemby?
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#90 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:45 pm

With the usual * of "It depends on what we are being offered"

It took a long time to address the hole at the five and Yak's contract isn't unreasonable with a few years left on it.
Even if we took a five in the draft, I can't imagine you don't get a season of the kid playing under Yak before you look to move him if you even want to.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#91 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:40 pm

After listening to Masai yesterday, I think there should be two questions asked regarding Poeltl.

First one is to Poeltl: do you want to be here?

Second one is for Masai: does Poeltl fit the style of play you are working to achieve?

If either answer is no, he should be traded asap for maximum value.

Only thing standing between Raptors and a top 6 pick next year is Poeltl. That isn't an indictment on Scottie, IQ, or RJ, they just aren't near enough.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,505

Post#92 » by Brinbe » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:45 pm

Depends on what we'll be offered and other circumstances we don't know yet. We could draft Sarr and another big with the Pacers or Pistons pick and completely reshape our front-line rotation instantly but that's not something you could just plan for right now.

And I wouldn't just dump him out just to do it. Yak was pretty good for us, especially after the break and he's not anywhere close to over-the-hill or anything yet and his contract is perfectly reasonable for an average level starting C in the league. He also meshes pretty well with Scottie.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,712

Post#93 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:JV was especially bad defensively last night so I did think about a Poeltl fit. Obviously he’s still only situational for them like JV because of the spacing issue. Defensive 5’s that don’t clog the paint aren’t in abundance though.

Forgetting shooting and spacing, is Jak better than JV defensively straight up? Would he have played more minutes in that game by being more switchable, and more nimble than JV? It's not like undersized Nance provided a big 3 point threat either.

The sad thing for the Pels is now Zion is out for the Kings game. If they lost close to Lakers but he didn't get hurt at least they'd have another chance to evaluate their potential for the future.

I don't know where Ingram stands in their plans now, having sat the end of the game. Not sure if that was injury related or just not playing well. He's and underrated star some team could go after. Thinking NYK more than Raps :D
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,698

Post#94 » by ConSarnit » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:28 pm

Chandan wrote:
rapsincr wrote:i would laugh super hard if we retain our pick this year, trade poetl for a 1st and decent young player then finish bottom 6 next year, effectively giving 2 seconds for a 1st, a player, and 2 years of poetl. would put a whole new perspective on the quality of that original trade.

For all of these “Poeltl could be traded” posts no one ever proposes an actual good deal because if you look around they aren’t really out there. What team is going to trade a 1st AND a decent young player for Poeltl? Can anyone pinpoint which team would actually make that deal?
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#95 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:48 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
Chandan wrote:

For all of these “Poeltl could be traded” posts no one ever proposes an actual good deal because if you look around they aren’t really out there. What team is going to trade a 1st AND a decent young player for Poeltl? Can anyone pinpoint which team would actually make that deal?

People have put ideas up in this thread and elsewhere. You’ve already trashed all of them stating your opinions as fact. That is kind of a conversation ender.

There are so many variables that go into a trade. 99% of trades discussed between GMs never occur. I think the ideas discussed on a fan forum would have even a much lower probability than that already low 99%.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,311

Post#96 » by Scase » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:37 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:After listening to Masai yesterday, I think there should be two questions asked regarding Poeltl.

Second one is for Masai: does Poeltl fit the style of play you are working to achieve?

Only thing standing between Raptors and a top 6 pick next year is Poeltl. That isn't an indictment on Scottie, IQ, or RJ, they just aren't near enough.

I think the first question is already a no, he's said more than a few things publicly that have hinted at it. And the second question, I don't see how it's a yes either. Slow big with no range, and doesn't have the best hands. I'm not sure how that fits into a team that needs spacing, and has a dynamic passer like Scottie. We've seen plenty of times where he fumbled passes cause Scottie overestimated his ability to catch them, and while some of that can be put on Scottie, we need bigs who can catch them, cause they are great passes.

The question is, can they swallow their egos and lose him for a worse package than they traded him for? Cause there is not a single team in the league that is likely to give up a top 6 protected pick whilst being a lotto bound team. Just kinda need to take the L.
Props TZ!
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#97 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:16 pm

Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:After listening to Masai yesterday, I think there should be two questions asked regarding Poeltl.

I think the first question is already a no, he's said more than a few things publicly that have hinted at it. And the second question, I don't see how it's a yes either. Slow big with no range, and doesn't have the best hands. I'm not sure how that fits into a team that needs spacing, and has a dynamic passer like Scottie. We've seen plenty of times where he fumbled passes cause Scottie overestimated his ability to catch them, and while some of that can be put on Scottie, we need bigs who can catch them, cause they are great passes.

The question is, can they swallow their egos and lose him for a worse package than they traded him for? Cause there is not a single team in the league that is likely to give up a top 6 protected pick whilst being a lotto bound team. Just kinda need to take the L.

On the trade market I think the only competition if Poeltl was available is going to be NY with Mitchell.

The teams with a glaring need at C are Memphis, NO, and OKC. Each of those teams have issues making not perfect trade partners, from financial to fit.

Golden State could be an option. If Adams isn’t healthy or the injury has harmed his mobility, I could make a case with Houston. Depending on where Wemby plays for San Antonio, I could also see that as a fit. Houston and San Antonio were also rumoured free agent suitors last summer.

I’d like to see Dieng and one of PHI/MIA 2025 from OKC…that would be my ideal scenario. Plus it would be a great situation for Poeltl.

Poeltl has a PO on his last year in 2026-2027 so he is only under contract for 2024-2025 and 2025-2026. In other words he’ll possible be an expiring going into next summer. If they are going to trade him they best do it now imo.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,698

Post#98 » by Pointgod » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:41 pm

If we get a 1st round pick for him, we should just let him go. Find a couple young guys to give those minutes to. Poeltl’s not a fit on a rebuilding team, same reason why San Antonio traded him to us.
Gavin_TDThree
Senior
And1: 578

Post#99 » by Gavin_TDThree » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:46 pm

If we land Sarr then I think he will be. Start Sarr and let him learn on the fly with the rest of our starters with KO coming off the bench.

Hey maybe SA will take Poeltl back for our 2025 1st round with adjusted conditions. Lotto protected instead of top 6 protected. One can hope haha
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,311

Post#100 » by Scase » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:28 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Scase wrote:

On the trade market I think the only competition if Poeltl was available is going to be NY with Mitchell.

The teams with a glaring need at C are Memphis, NO, and OKC. Each of those teams have issues making not perfect trade partners, from financial to fit.

Golden State could be an option. If Adams isn’t healthy or the injury has harmed his mobility, I could make a case with Houston. Depending on where Wemby plays for San Antonio, I could also see that as a fit. Houston and San Antonio were also rumoured free agent suitors last summer.

I’d like to see Dieng and one of PHI/MIA 2025 from OKC…that would be my ideal scenario. Plus it would be a great situation for Poeltl.

Poeltl has a PO on his last year in 2026-2027 so he is only under contract for 2024-2025 and 2025-2026. In other words he’ll possible be an expiring going into next summer. If they are going to trade him they best do it now imo.

Ugh, god damned masai and giving out POs. There is no way that a 31 year old Jak is turning 20mil, not a team in the league is likely to even give him a multi year deal that matches that. OKC is my dream trade partner.
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors