ImageImageImageImageImage

Will Poeltl be traded?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Will Poeltl be traded?

Poll runs till Thu May 16, 2024 1:52 pm

I hope so
44%
I hope not
56%

Total votes: 124

mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,268

Re: Will Poeltl be traded? 

Post#61 » by mrdressup » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:33 pm

Hou would be insane to not ship us Sengun for Trent Jr, Boucher, McDaniels and 2 second round picks. Sengun is clearly just an unreliable bench piece with no upside. We can offer certain value.
goinrogue
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#62 » by goinrogue » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:37 pm

I think the poll options need to change because I don’t necessarily hope he gets traded, but I think he will be. I think we’re going to draft a big - No, not Edey.

Masai admitted he traded for yak cause Fred and Pascal asked the team to trade for him. Neither of them are on the team anymore. I just don’t see him on the team after this summer.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,775

Post#63 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:59 pm

ciueli wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
ciueli wrote:I don't know how anyone can think Houston would even consider trading Sengun, he just came off a season where it's arguable he put up a better statline than Scottie and he's a year younger. Teams don't trade guys like that, full stop.

If the argument is that Houston went on a big winning streak after he got injured, it should be noted that most of the teams they beat on that streak were bad teams (Utah 2x, San Antonio, Washington 2x, Chicago, Portland), the only good teams they beat were Cleveland without Evan Mobley (Cleveland couldn't buy a 3 that game) and OKC with no SGA.

Additionally, right after that 9 game win streak they went on a 6 game losing streak, so, you know, they're not trading Sengun just because they won 9 games in a row against bad teams or teams missing key starters.

It’s been out there in media, which means little of course.

The Houston Rockets could consider trading young talent like Alperen Şengün and Jalen Green because they "want to take a big, big swing in the trade market," according to ESPN's Tim MacMahon (h/t NBACentral).
"I don't know if both Şengün and Green are going to be here long-term," MacMahon said. "My guess—and I emphasize, guess—is that one or the other would end up getting moved at some point for them when they take their big swing."

Paul Pierce the latest to suggest Rockets' Alperen Sengun trade amid Jalen Green's heater

Last week, Bill Simmons suggested that the Rockets should engage in trade talks around their center:

“There’s a Sengun piece to this, where Sengun, you would’ve said, hands down, is the best asset on this team, he’s discount Jokic. Love this guy, but then the team kind of falls into place as soon as he goes away in some ways…Do you think we should make Jabari a five? Do you think we should shop Sengun this summer?

“I think we would at least say, yes, well, let’s at least talk this out. Let’s do the pros and cons of this whole thing because maybe this is the team you should be. You have so many athletes, so many scorers, maybe you need space, like maybe you just need space and athleticism, and maybe that Sengun guy is weighing you down a little bit. I’d just want to have the convo.”

Yeah, making team decisions on the basis of something Bill Simmons said on his talk show sounds like a pretty bad idea to me. The Tim MacMahon comment makes slightly more sense, mostly because we already know Houston shopped Green last offseason, sensible given that he hasn't been the player they hoped he would be and they only have one more season to figure out whether he is worth a big contract extension (he probably isn't but they'll still have to give it to him to keep him). It still doesn't mean anything with respect to Sengun, though. Paul Pierce is not someone I would listen to about anything NBA related, a former player who had a media career for a few years and now doesn't, this is what his wiki page says about him losing his job at ESPN:

His tenure with ESPN was inconsistent despite much fanfare. His role at the network was reduced in 2019 due to questions about his preparation for NBA segments and game predictions.

He was so bad he was fired, this in an industry where Charles Barkley, Shaq and Stephen A. Smith have had long careers.

So it's a whole lot of nothing. I'm sure he's available the same way any player in the league is available, realistically no team is paying a price that would get him (perennial All-Star in his mid-20s), so there's no point in mentioning it.

As I said, it’s been out there in the media which means nothing really.

I don’t think Sengun is off limits unless a major star becomes available. The odds of that are very low.

Houston does have options. They can go any number of ways over the next 1-2 seasons.

I became annoyed with the discussion and posted those quotes because it was implied I made the idea up and stated that I wasn’t being realistic. I find that to be quite dismissive and disrespectful.
Landomar
Bench Warmer
And1: 373

Post#64 » by Landomar » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:12 pm

I don't think that management is going to completely blow up the roster and intentionally try to finish dead last. Poeltl will only be traded if some team makes an offer that's too good to refuse, or we've added a different starting center and don't need Poeltl anymore. In the meantime, there's no way we'd be looking to get rid of him, as he's the only actual center on the team. Olynyk can play center, but his best role is backup PF. Just from a roster construction standpoint, we should be looking to add a backup center and a third string center, not get rid of our starting center when we have no replacement at all.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,757

Post#65 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:58 pm

Respectfully, Sherm and Fay are fools. The ONLY way Yak gets traded is if the Raps secure a defensive anchor at the 5 to replace him, which defeats the purpose because you'll end up paying roughly the same for somebody in his tier.

The domino-effect of not having a reliable big to rotations is something the team really wants to avoid. A KO-Scotty front court for any extended stretch is really bad for Scottie's role and development. I definitely do not want to see him guarding other 5s next season, and KO can't be playing 36+ mins a night.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,405

Post#66 » by TimeForChange » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:23 pm

unless you're signing claxton or iHart, or drafting clingan, it makes no sense to trade him.

then you're back to having no centers again.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,781

Post#67 » by VanWest82 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:36 pm

The only reason why we’d trade Jak is if there are significant injuries or BBQ prove themselves to be unworthy, and it becomes obvious we need to tank (like this year).

In all likelihood, we won’t be bad enough. Our guys are young, talented, and will most likely be healthy. With a few added pieces via the draft/trades/FA it seems more likely that we’ll push for playoffs.
earth007
Junior
And1: 596

Post#68 » by earth007 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 pm

I doubt they trade him. But if we win the lottery and draft Sarr, he will probably be traded down the road.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:41 pm

Lots of relevant and accurate comments about the consequences of trading Poeltl. Without Poeltl they won’t be a very good team. Imo that only solidifies why they should trade him, at hopefully his peak value.

The Raptors don’t have elite talent or any depth to withstand injuries that inevitably occur.

Someone posted this tweet earlier today in another thread, notice the last sentence:

[x]
Read on Twitter
[/x]

A losing/tanked season doesn’t have to be for nothing. Darko has a system and a style that he wants to implement but has yet to have enough guys capable of running it. We’ve seen glimpses towards the end of the season but hardly anything on a consistent basis.
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,294

Post#70 » by ciueli » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:43 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
I don’t think Sengun is off limits unless a major star becomes available. The odds of that are very low.

He's definitely off limits unless a major star becomes available. What team in existence would trade a 21 year old who just put up 21.1PPG, 9.3RPG, 5.0APG, 1.2SPG on good scoring efficiency (58.5% True Shooting) in his third season for anything less?

ArthurVandelay wrote:Houston does have options. They can go any number of ways over the next 1-2 seasons.

I became annoyed with the discussion and posted those quotes because it was implied I made the idea up and stated that I wasn’t being realistic. I find that to be quite dismissive and disrespectful.

I'm being dismissive of your idea that Houston is looking to move Sengun because it's really unlikely and the league rarely sees players like him traded while still on their rookie deals. Usually when a team does trade a young player like Sengun it's because they think it's a move that can win them a title right away, like the Clippers trading SGA for Paul George, but that logic doesn't apply here because Houston isn't moving to contender status even if they could trade Sengun for an established star.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:49 pm

ciueli wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

He's definitely off limits unless a major star becomes available. What team in existence would trade a 21 year old who just put up 21.1PPG, 9.3RPG, 5.0APG, 1.2SPG on good scoring efficiency (58.5% True Shooting) in his third season for anything less?

ArthurVandelay wrote:Houston does have options. They can go any number of ways over the next 1-2 seasons.

I'm being dismissive of your idea that Houston is looking to move Sengun because it's really unlikely and the league rarely sees players like him traded while still on their rookie deals. Usually when a team does trade a young player like Sengun it's because they think it's a move that can win them a title right away, like the Clippers trading SGA for Paul George, but that logic doesn't apply here because Houston isn't moving to contender status even if they could trade Sengun for an established star.

My first quote is poorly worded. The only way Sengun gets traded is for a major star.

I’m being dismissive of your dismissive for 3 reasons.

1) I didn’t say Sengun is going to be traded,
2) you can’t say for certainty anything will or won’t happen with any certainty. The odds and probabilities are definitely favouring Houston keeping Sengun, but things happen for a variety of reasons. Talent is crucial and the most important thing but then the collective talent has to mesh.
3) In addition to your example of SGA, Tyrese Haliburton was traded on his rookie deal. It’s rare but rookie scale players with all-star potential do get traded.

And the hilarious part of all this is Poeltl actually fits in Houston even with Sengun. They’d have the best C rotation in the league.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,417

Post#72 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:03 am

Lets get our seconds back from the spurs, boys!

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,951

Post#73 » by refshateRaps » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:24 am

If the goal is to become terrible next season hell be traded. I don't believe that's the case.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,502
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#74 » by SharoneWright » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:29 am

It’s a rebuild. They should. If they could.
No reason for him.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,294

Post#75 » by ciueli » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:36 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:
ciueli wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

My first quote is poorly worded. The only way Sengun gets traded is for a major star.

Then why is this even a discussion? Just because you are trying to come up with reasons they would trade for Jakob Poeltl?

ArthurVandelay wrote:2) you can’t say for certainty anything will or won’t happen with any certainty. The odds and probabilities are definitely favouring Houston keeping Sengun, but things happen for a variety of reasons. Talent is crucial and the most important thing but then the collective talent has to mesh.

Right, but the whole idea of trading Sengun when they don't have another star for whoever they get for him to play with makes trading him pointless. Their second best player right now is Fred VanVleet, and we know they're trying to move off of Jalen Green because they don't see him as a future build around piece, so really what is their plan if they trade Sengun?

ArthurVandelay wrote:3) In addition to your example of SGA, Tyrese Haliburton was traded on his rookie deal. It’s rare but rookie scale players with all-star potential do get traded.

Haliburton was traded because:
1) The Kings are one of the worst run teams in basketball.
2) They had to choose between him and Fox and they had already given Fox the max, that meant he was going to be difficult to trade because he probably wasn't worth what he was getting paid so they traded Haliburton instead.
3) They were desperate because their team hadn't made the playoffs in two decades.
4) They got a multi-time NBA All-Star in his mid-20s on a cheap contract in return which is exactly the kind of deal I said the Rockets would need to even consider trading Sengun.

ArthurVandelay wrote:And the hilarious part of all this is Poeltl actually fits in Houston even with Sengun. They’d have the best C rotation in the league.

Somehow I don't think the Rockets are going to want to pay a backup C $20M/year, Jak is making starter money, realistically he's going to be a starter on whatever team he gets traded to.
Nebuchadnezzar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,862

Post#76 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:41 am

I love how the title of the poll is about "will he be traded" and then you asked for what people hoped. Trying to stir up sh** eh?

Joke of a poll, of course he shouldnt be traded. He's what we have needed for a long time, and then like a bunch of internet dwellers, this board rather sacrifice the integrity of a team for a 14.5 percent chance at a 10 percent chance for a generational talent, add another 50 percent chance of that 20 percent chance of the 14.5 percent chance. they will stay healthy. This board wants to gamble more than Jontay Porter
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,158

Post#77 » by PoundTown » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:41 am

earth007 wrote:I doubt they trade him. But if we win the lottery and draft Sarr, he will probably be traded down the road.

In that case, it’d be a great idea to trade him
Next offseason, or deadline before if not looking too hot. If we keep the pick this year, we should not be looking to lose next year. It’s going to take a full on tank to be in bottom 5 again next year and at a certain point that becomes detrimental.
SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 545

Post#78 » by SpezNc » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:56 am

WuTang_OG wrote:I don't think they will this off-season but things could change if they get #1 .. even then you can make the argument to roll with Sarr/Poeltl for a year until he gets his feet wet

I agree with you.

There is a world where Poeltl is traded but it’s definitely not the most likely scenario IMO.

I can’t wait for the draft lottery and see if we can start salivating about the draft or if we need to be content with late teen to 20 first pick.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:56 am

ciueli wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
ciueli wrote:

Then why is this even a discussion? Just because you are trying to come up with reasons they would trade for Jakob Poeltl?

ArthurVandelay wrote:2) you can’t say for certainty anything will or won’t happen with any certainty. The odds and probabilities are definitely favouring Houston keeping Sengun, but things happen for a variety of reasons. Talent is crucial and the most important thing but then the collective talent has to mesh.

Right, but the whole idea of trading Sengun when they don't have another star for whoever they get for him to play with makes trading him pointless. Their second best player right now is Fred VanVleet, and we know they're trying to move off of Jalen Green because they don't see him as a future build around piece, so really what is their plan if they trade Sengun?

ArthurVandelay wrote:3) In addition to your example of SGA, Tyrese Haliburton was traded on his rookie deal. It’s rare but rookie scale players with all-star potential do get traded.

Haliburton was traded because:
1) The Kings are one of the worst run teams in basketball.
2) They had to choose between him and Fox and they had already given Fox the max, that meant he was going to be difficult to trade because he probably wasn't worth what he was getting paid so they traded Haliburton instead.
3) They were desperate because their team hadn't made the playoffs in two decades.
4) They got a multi-time NBA All-Star in his mid-20s on a cheap contract in return which is exactly the kind of deal I said the Rockets would need to even consider trading Sengun.

ArthurVandelay wrote:And the hilarious part of all this is Poeltl actually fits in Houston even with Sengun. They’d have the best C rotation in the league.

Somehow I don't think the Rockets are going to want to pay a backup C $20M/year, Jak is making starter money, realistically he's going to be a starter on whatever team he gets traded to.

It’s a discussion because others have discussed it including the possibility raised by a Raptors broadcast member.

So now it’s not enough to get a star but another star is needed? Jeez talk about moving goalposts. How the talent meshes is the only reason a Sengun trade makes any sense and it should be in that context.

But but but but…Haliburton was traded. Why? Because the talent in Sacramento didn’t mesh. And what’s that? A scenario where Sengun is traded. Welcome to an open mind of possibilities.

There have been more than one player making starter money who played off the bench especially when in one of those years Sengun is making $5m. Also with the cap steadily rising with the new TV deal in 2025-2026, $19.5m won’t be starter money.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,900

Post#80 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:29 am

Since this is tank if necessary but not necessarily tanking then no he is rock solid secure in the not so Sam Hinke starting 5.

Return to Toronto Raptors