ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai Presser @ 11am

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Re: Masai Presser @ 11am 

Post#201 » by anotherhomer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:20 pm

T-d0t wrote:Grange definitely confused his own damn self lol. I think what he meant was if the pick conveys this season, then would the team commit to still be bad next season ( no win now moves, trade off vets)

I wonder who will rep the Raptors at the draft lottery

it would make sense but Ujiri can't flat out say they would tank

i guess it's also as Ujiri sense depends what happens to the team....if IQ, Barret emerge as that 2nd piece, then they won't need to tank
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,510

Post#202 » by Brinbe » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:37 pm

Finally had the time to listen to this in full and I thought it was a straight-forward, forthright and realistic presser from Masai. He didn't oversell anything, was knowingly cautious about the path going forward, preached patience but outright stated his commitment/desire to winning another championship here. He knows this is all about Scottie's prime and building things up for around that time. IQ/RJ/Gradey may be a part of that, but maybe not, but they know more help is needed. Everything he said had the right logic to it and that tells me he's on the right track.

He has an obvious soft spot for Ochai and I wouldn't hold it against him. Every single GM regardless of sport will have their pet projects and it's too soon to say he ultimately won't pan out here.

He was also right to say BPA was the right way to attack the draft, correctly identified the needs in backup point, big wing defender, another young backup big to replace Porter/Koloko and acknowledged that they've sucked in free agency in recent years.

The goal going into this season was largely about changing the style of play, improving the offense and getting guys playing together/preaching more inclusivity and I think the season was a success in that regard. The next obvious step is improving the defense and he knows that, mentioned that RJ's gonna need to work to improve there. They shifted off two key core players in OG/Pascal, got younger and took an obvious step back but it was the smart play compared to sticking to that same path which was going nowhere.

And yes, it's stupidly obvious on its face, but next season the team will rise/fall based on the play of their core and the FO will react based on that. But the expectation going into that season is that having these young core players play together will lead to progress/an increase in wins and if they don't see that for whatever variety of reasons (injuries/poor chemistry/subpar play/no bench), they'll have a top 5/6 pick next season and they'll further adjust from there.

But he wasn't going over-board saying they'll be contenders anytime soon. They're gonna let these guys play together for the next year or so and see what they got/what needs to be improved. It's all part of the process of building a team that will hopefully be able to compete during Scottie's prime years in 2/3/4 years.

For now, we just gotta see how the draft/FA plays out and we'll see what we have come the fall. Hopefully they hit more than miss but this is gonna be a long road regardless.

Also, LOL "I'm still Masai, nothing's gonna fking change that." Quote of the presser by far.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,748

Post#203 » by And1Skip » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:45 pm

Senbonzakura wrote:If we get the #6 pick we need to trade up and select Sarr.

We should have the same expectation of getting the #6 pick as the #1 pick, or #2, or #3 or #4 pick since the odds are the same (well there's slightly less chance of getting #6 pick vs #1 pick but that's decimal pts).
ill-Will03
Rookie
And1: 1,409

Post#204 » by ill-Will03 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:59 pm

Also wtf was Grange talking about? His question made 0 sense. If we don’t have the pick this year it means it conveyed and we will have our pick next year…
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,877

Post#205 » by Duffman100 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:00 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:Also wtf was Grange talking about? His question made 0 sense. If we don’t have the pick this year it means it conveyed and we will have our pick next year…

What did he say?
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,523

Post#206 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:06 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:Also wtf was Grange talking about? His question made 0 sense. If we don’t have the pick this year it means it conveyed and we will have our pick next year…

Lol guy is fried and confused the hell outta himself
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,845

Post#207 » by Zeno » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:13 pm

I think what Grange wanted to know was if it was more or less likely they would tank next year if the pick was retained this year. But he knew that Masai wasn't going to answer that question directly so he attempted to dance around it. He then proceeded to trip over his own feet dancing.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,506

Post#208 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:21 pm

JB7 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
It was pretty obvious based on Masai's answers that they're going to use the cap flexibility to maximize assets, not to maximize the team for next year. Whether it's bringing back BB's salary or not, re-signing GTJ or not, signing an FA or taking on a contract for assets, they are indifferent. Their goal is asset accumulation. By nature, that depends a lot more on their counterparts.

For example:
- Do the Sixers and Magic go the cap space route? If they do, you're going to get some FAs become available which they can either sign (Fultz as a backup 1?) or use their cap space to facilitate them signing with a team that needs to open up room for them
- Do they move BB on draft night and take on salary or waive him to open up room? Surely depends on what packages are available to them at the end of June
- Does GTJ have offers available to him in FA or can he be had on a contract they like? It sounded like Gary will not be prioritized to be re-signed at all costs but he will make sense at a certain term and price point

They're definitely not going into next year to tank, but they are also not going in to make the play-in at all costs. They'll make the best use of their assets as they can for the long term and live with the results in the short term.

Excellent answer. But all of this hinges on the draft lottery in three weeks. The salary of a top 6 pick will affect our cap space, and hopefully help to address the lack of talent problem (along with the players drafted with the Pacers and Pistons picks). If we keep our own pick, then it's practically impossible to plan for a top 6 pick the following season, so might as well operate above the cap and bring back BB and Gary (on an acceptable deal for a bench scorer) and try for the play-in. Ownership will certainly push for that.

Masai is also saying though that the Raps moves hinge on what other teams do. Do the Warriors try to resign Klay, and dump Wiggins? At this point, there are so many moving pieces. But the core is probably here for the next season (BBQ, Dick, Yak)

I actually came away from Masai and Darko's pressers with the feeling that Jakob won't be here long term:
- When naming the core, Masai named Scottie, IQ, Barret and Gradey
- When asked what we need to go and get in the offseason, Masai specifically said "a young center"
- When Darko was asked if the + NetRTG of BBQ + Jakob was encouraging for him, he said he doesn't want to judge on a small sample size

Overall, there was very little Jakob talk during both pressers. He also didn't have an end of season presser; they went Scottie, IQ, Barrett, Gradey and Kelly. Now it wouldn't shock me if he remains as our C for multiple years, but until yesterday I would have been caught off guard if we didn't finish next season with him. After the pressers, I wouldn't be surprised.
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#209 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:24 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:

Lol guy is fried and confused the hell outta himself

JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,324

Post#210 » by JB7 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:34 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
JB7 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
Excellent answer. But all of this hinges on the draft lottery in three weeks. The salary of a top 6 pick will affect our cap space, and hopefully help to address the lack of talent problem (along with the players drafted with the Pacers and Pistons picks). If we keep our own pick, then it's practically impossible to plan for a top 6 pick the following season, so might as well operate above the cap and bring back BB and Gary (on an acceptable deal for a bench scorer) and try for the play-in. Ownership will certainly push for that.

Masai is also saying though that the Raps moves hinge on what other teams do. Do the Warriors try to resign Klay, and dump Wiggins? At this point, there are so many moving pieces. But the core is probably here for the next season (BBQ, Dick, Yak)

I actually came away from Masai and Darko's pressers with the feeling that Jakob won't be here long term:
- When asked what we need to go and get in the offseason, Masai specifically said "a young center"
- When Darko was asked if the + NetRTG of BBQ + Jakob was encouraging for him, he said he doesn't want to judge on a small sample size

Overall, there was very little Jakob talk during both pressers. He also didn't have an end of season presser; they went Scottie, IQ, Barrett, Gradey and Kelly. Now it wouldn't shock me if he remains as our C for multiple years, but until yesterday I would have been caught off guard if we didn't finish next season with him. After the pressers, I wouldn't be surprised.

Yak ultimately won't be a part of any championship run team, because that is years away. So BBQ + Dick + possible pick this year could be a part of team that looks to contend years down the road.

But I don't see Yak being moved in the next couple of years. They are horrible without a competent C, and I don't see any teams offering them a package that would be so enticing to move him. There will be teams interested in Yak, but I don't see them offering enough that it makes sense for Masai to move him, as he is probably more valuable to the team than anything they could get in return.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,707

Post#211 » by Pointgod » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 pm

TimeForChange wrote:at least he seems committed to a rebuild this time. think he said a proper rebuild can take 3-6 years.

this team is not sniffing the playoffs until 2026 or 2027.

Let’s see how committed they are. They didn’t move Brown, Boucher or GTJ. Move Schroeder for a salary dump and traded a pick for Olynyk and Agbaji. These moves don’t scream rebuilding to me.
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#212 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 pm

Pointgod wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:at least he seems committed to a rebuild this time. think he said a proper rebuild can take 3-6 years.

Let’s see how committed they are. They didn’t move Brown, Boucher or GTJ. Move Schroeder for a salary dump and traded a pick for Olynyk and Agbaji. These moves don’t scream rebuilding to me.

They traded OG for a 23 year old and 24 year old and Pascal for 3 first round picks and change. How are they not rebuilding?
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,772

Post#213 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:42 pm

JB7 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
JB7 wrote:

Yak ultimately won't be a part of any championship run team, because that is years away. So BBQ + Dick + possible pick this year could be a part of team that looks to contend years down the road.

But I don't see Yak being moved in the next couple of years. They are horrible without a competent C, and I don't see any teams offering them a package that would be so enticing to move him. There will be teams interested in Yak, but I don't see them offering enough that it makes sense for Masai to move him, as he is probably more valuable to the team than anything they could get in return.

I don't advocate giving Poeltl away, but the bold might be the point. Start KO and focus on the offense for another year, hopefully with a group of players with the skills and ability to actually play it. Masai mentioned yesterday Kelly plays the right way...there is no way anyone focusing on defense could make that statement lol.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,772

Post#214 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:42 pm

JB7 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
JB7 wrote:

I don't advocate giving Poeltl away, but the bold might be the point. Start KO and focus on the offense for another year, hopefully with a group of players with the skills and ability to actually play it. Masai mentioned yesterday Kelly plays the right way...there is no way anyone focusing on defense could make that statement lol.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,877

Post#215 » by Duffman100 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:46 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

They traded OG for a 23 year old and 24 year old and Pascal for 3 first round picks and change. How are they not rebuilding?

Because "reasons".

When he told me that rebuilding meant trading veterans, getting young players and draft picks and I pointed out we got rid of Porter, Schroeder, Thad, we acquired 4-5 guys under 25 and 3-4 picks it was radio silence.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,134

Post#216 » by MiamiSPX » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:07 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
JB7 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

I'm wondering if Poeltl has quietly asked out? There were murmurs that he wanted no part of a rebuild. But then again, prior to going down he looked more energetic and engaged than he had all season.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,115

Post#217 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 pm

JB7 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
JB7 wrote:

Yes, the Raptors are not going the Pistons route. We want to identify and DEVELOP our young talent - especially IQ - with a centre who can screen, pass and finish at the basket. We are not going to play one season - let alone six seasons - without a big who can do that. Kelly doesn't defend, box out and rebound well enough to start him at the C. So Jak it is for the next year or two (unless OKC offers us multiple picks and Wallace, like they should have at the deadline).

Of course, if we draft Clingan or even Edey, all bets are off.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,324

Post#218 » by JB7 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:27 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
JB7 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:

Yes, the Raptors are not going the Pistons route. We want to identify and DEVELOP our young talent - especially IQ - with a centre who can screen, pass and finish at the basket. We are not going to play one season - let alone six seasons - without a big who can do that. Kelly doesn't defend, box out and rebound well enough to start him at the C. So Jak it is for the next year or two (unless OKC offers us multiple picks and Wallace, like they should have at the deadline).

Of course, if we draft Clingan or even Edey, all bets are off.

Even if they draft a C, I still think they hold onto Yak for 2 more seasons to allow the young C to develop slowly. Much like they held onto Pascal and OG for the first couple of seasons of Barnes career.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,986

Post#219 » by MEDIC » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:46 pm

ash_k wrote:

ARe you sure? a team that went 7-7 with IQ|RJ|Scottie|Yak without a training camp and with a coach learning on the job? A team that was clearly headed to the Play-In until injuries struck.

Did you think Orlando would go from 34-48 to 47-35(5th seed)?
If your predictions become through, it will only mean one thing that SCOTTIE IS NOT THAT GUY!

Yup. This team competed OK without their best player & their starting C. They were 3-5 with RJ/ Quick/ Dick after Scottie went down with injury. They were 4-3 with Scottie/ Jakob/ IQ/ Barrett in the lineup without Siakam.

This is without having the time to gain chemistry & RJ/ IQ still learning the system. Plus we didn't have a proper backup C.

You give these guys a summer to work on things, a full training camp & a healthy SL.........anything less than a .500 record will be underachieving.

I also expect Darko to be better next season. This was a learning year for him. Plus, we don't know what moves will be made between now & the start of the season to improve depth.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,102

Post#220 » by ItsDanger » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:59 pm

The East was really weak this season. So adjust any of your interpretations on team record when guys were healthy and similar observations.

For example, Portland was 13-17 vs East, Memphis 13-18, Utah 15-15.

Raps were 7-23 vs West. Even Brooklyn was 8-23 vs West. Charlotte 7-23.

This roster isn't good and the measuring stick should be non Conference play (or good teams) as the East was just that bad this season. I'm sure management acknowledges this but it remains to be seen if they're focused on addressing the true weaknesses.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.

Return to Toronto Raptors