ImageImageImageImageImage

Sam Vecenie: Raptors Offseason (Video)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,530

Sam Vecenie: Raptors Offseason (Video) 

Post#1 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:05 pm

ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,773

Re: Sam Vecenie: Raptors Offseason (Video) 

Post#2 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:18 pm

I’m pretty underwhelmed at the quality of discussion in that clip.

They don’t know the protections on the pick then they don’t know the cap situation. It was very generic and fluff.

If they are doing individual teams, the people watching are going to be fans of that team. Like I’m not watching the Hawks or Hornets off-season primer. So you think given who is going to eventually be watching the content they’d be offering more than fluff.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,633

Post#3 » by dTox » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:30 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:I’m pretty underwhelmed at the quality of discussion in that clip.

They don’t know the protections on the pick then they don’t know the cap situation. It was very generic and fluff.

If they are doing individual teams, the people watching are going to be fans of that team. Like I’m not watching the Hawks or Hornets off-season primer. So you think given who is going to eventually be watching the content they’d be offering more than fluff.

one of the challenges of being Someone like Vecenie, who wants to cover as many teams as he can with high volume content, is that you lose quality. Dan Devine had similar approach, eventually he was let go by the Ringer because the content did not draw the audience you are referring to. If you want to cover this many teams, it's better to specialize in a Niche topic (ex: Bobby Marks and salary cap).
TBZ for the win
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#4 » by Scase » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:58 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:

"Do the raptors want the pick to convey?"

"I mean yeah, I guess?"

Man just channelled every raptor fan in this moment lmao
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,327

Post#5 » by JB7 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:00 pm

Problem is the Raptors tanking out the rest of the season I think as tainted the views of media who don't pay a lot of attention to teams like them.

We'll see next year, with the team in place and healthy, what they actually are as a team.

I have to say, I have listened to a few of Vecenie's podcast, but damn they are just way too long and drawn out, without saying much. 2 hours a podcast is way too long.

My favourite podcast to listen to now is Group Chat with Justin, Rob and Woz.
Scase
RealGM

Post#6 » by Scase » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:22 pm

JB7 wrote:Problem is the Raptors tanking out the rest of the season I think as tainted the views of media who don't pay a lot of attention to teams like them.

We'll see next year, with the team in place and healthy, what they actually are as a team.

I have to say, I have listened to a few of Vecenie's podcast, but damn they are just way too long and drawn out, without saying much. 2 hours a podcast is way too long.

Do you mean that they think we are worse than we are?
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#7 » by JB7 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:10 pm

Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:Problem is the Raptors tanking out the rest of the season I think as tainted the views of media who don't pay a lot of attention to teams like them.

I think the media think our record this year is indicative of the team currently, when in reality, that record is the product of a massive losing streak due to Barnes & Yak being injured, and the team sitting for long stretches the rest of their core to enable that losing streak.

Raps are set up nicely for a rebound year next year, because I think most in the media expect them to be a bottom feeding team next year, primarily because they don't really pay any attention to the team.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,899

Post#8 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:25 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:I’m pretty underwhelmed at the quality of discussion in that clip.

Except the point about no picks next year is valid. There was hesitation on Sam's part of whether Scottie can be a championship level number one.

Our draft success has gone like this.

Siakam: A two-time NBA All-Star and two-time All-NBA selection, he won an NBA championship in 2019 as second banana to Kawhi Leonard. He was picked 27th overall as a Senior. Fred Van Vleet: VanVleet was named to his first NBA All-Star Game in 2022, owns the Raptors records for single-game assists (20) and single-game points (54), making him the only player to have sole possession of both records for an NBA franchise. Was a member of Raptors 905's 2017 championship team and went on to become a key player for the Raptors NBA championship in 2019. He was signed as a senior and undrafted free agent. OG: selected with 23rd overall. All three will soon be max players and OG had the most upside in theory.

So the argument by Sam to convey was convincing. Two picks this year to add to the "mix" and a Gradey or Poetl level lotto pick next year. However, if they over achieve it means development is progressing full steam ahead.

Thinking about it at face value the only reason to not convey is getting a top 6 pick and perhaps, maybe getting a better shot at an allstar. Our track record of picks only Vince, Bosh, Demar and Scottie have been developed lotto allstars.
Scase
RealGM

Post#9 » by Scase » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:22 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:

I think the media think our record this year is indicative of the team currently, when in reality, that record is the product of a massive losing streak due to Barnes & Yak being injured, and the team sitting for long stretches the rest of their core to enable that losing streak.

Raps are set up nicely for a rebound year next year, because I think most in the media expect them to be a bottom feeding team next year, primarily because they don't really pay any attention to the team.

I guess it depends on what you classify as a bottom feeder.

Are we 25win bad? Probably not, but I also don't think we are 35win "good" either. We weren't exactly setting the league on fire fully healthy, I expect some improvement from a full training camp etc. but I don't think the media is off base assuming we will be in the bottom 10 next year.
Props TZ!
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#10 » by TheFutureMM » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:56 am

I agree with everyone here - seemed underprepared to talk about the Raps BUT I also think they did a good job breaking down our situation regarding our pick on the fly. It's debatable as to whether or not you want it to convey but when you really dive deep into it, it's better to just give it up and own our future moving forward (tanking, future trade opportunities, etc).
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,899

Post#11 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:11 am

Sam Vecenie does a lot of shared content with Samson Folk. I have time for that. He definitely knows a lot about the Raptors. I think this second host guy sorta debbie downers the Raps like they suck so why do I have to? Talk about the Raptors? If we have to talk sucking let's talk Bulls! Like "I really don't know and it doesn't matter so I don't care... I mean do you Sam"?
JB7
Analyst

Post#12 » by JB7 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 am

Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:Do you mean that they think we are worse than we are?

Are we 25win bad? Probably not, but I also don't think we are 35win "good" either. We weren't exactly setting the league on fire fully healthy, I expect some improvement from a full training camp etc. but I don't think the media is off base assuming we will be in the bottom 10 next year.

I definitely don't think the Raps are in the grouping of the Pistons, Wiz, Blazers and Hornets kind of bad. They also play in the East, where anything can happen. This season, the 2nd seeded Knicks had only 50 wins, which is what the 5th place Mavs had in the West.

I don't think it would take much for them to get back up to 40 wins, and from there a few more wins probably gets them into the middle of the pack. They just need health and improved in game decision making from Darko.
Scase
RealGM

Post#13 » by Scase » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 am

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:

I definitely don't think the Raps are in the grouping of the Pistons, Wiz, Blazers and Hornets kind of bad. They also play in the East, where anything can happen. This season, the 2nd seeded Knicks had only 50 wins, which is what the 5th place Mavs had in the West.

I don't think it would take much for them to get back up to 40 wins, and from there a few more wins probably gets them into the middle of the pack. They just need health and improved in game decision making from Darko.

Yeah I don't think it's insurmountable by any stretch with how bad the east is, but I think it's fair to assume we will be bad next year as well.
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors