ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Expect a lot of player movement this summer

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,901

Re: Woj: Expect a lot of player movement this summer 

Post#101 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:53 am

mrdressup wrote:Whatever you do not put big money into vets because you once loved them. Keep an eye out for any talented young players and overpay if you have to.

You have to have 3 to 5 vets to develop your new guys. It is not as simple as overpay young players cause if we did that we'd sign Talen Horton Tucker and be headed for mediocrity.
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,268

Post#102 » by mrdressup » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:37 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
mrdressup wrote:Whatever you do not put big money into vets because you once loved them. Keep an eye out for any talented young players and overpay if you have to.

You have to have 3 to 5 vets to develop your new guys. It is not as simple as overpay young players cause if we did that we'd sign Talen Horton Tucker and be headed for mediocrity.

You only get who you want. This type of proverbial young talented player is a rare thing to be able to get. You certainly don't settle for crap. We've never really had a problem getting vets to stabilize the roster.
Eating a Book
General Manager
And1: 2,338

Post#103 » by Eating a Book » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:03 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
So we net out as:

In: Wiggins / GP2 / Looney / 2025 1st
Out: Poeltl / Brown / 2026 1st

Why excatly do we do that trade..? We give up the best player, and the closest pick, and get back a negative contracts and 2 older UFAs?

Idea would be that the Pacers 2026 first is probably around #20 and the Warriors 2025 first might get us a top 6-8 pick in this coming draft. The nightmare scenario here is we don't convey the pick this year, finish with the 7th or 10th pick next year, give that up to San Antonio and suddenly we're in a Bulls/Hawks situation where Barnes has no co-star and we're winning 35 games a year until we have to insanely overpay and lose like 4 years of firsts and a solid player like Markkanen (split the difference between his last Cavs year and first Utah year) like Cleveland did for Mitchell - so for us it would be Barrett or Quickley - just to be a R1/R2 team.

Right now, we're on a really bad long-term path (no high upside, little tank upside) unless we keep our pick in next year's draft or we somehow find a steal in the draft this year or in 2026.

Just horrible asset management to give up Poeltl to move up MAYBE 10 spots in the draft. MAYBE.

Agreed on this. I don't want any part of Wiggins' contract unless we're getting an absurd young player/pick return for it.

Also: always nice to see another Sask Raps fan out in the wild!
@terriblejazz
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,928

Post#104 » by JN » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:14 am

Outside of Toronto, I'm most intrigued by what OKC does this offseason -- Do they push some assets in and an all-star level player to add to the core of Holmgren, SGA, Jalen Williams. Or they keep the path, look for internal growth to create a "4th" to add to those 3, and not disrupt things.

They can probably get to up to $50M of cap space if they wanted, but assuming that type of player is not out there.

But with 10-12 future first available to trade, and some attractive pieces like Wallace, and decent cap filler in Dort, they can easily make a move for another really good core player.
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,291

Post#105 » by Tripod » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:38 am

JN wrote:Outside of Toronto, I'm most intrigued by what OKC does this offseason -- Do they push some assets in and an all-star level player to add to the core of Holmgren, SGA, Jalen Williams. Or they keep the path, look for internal growth to create a "4th" to add to those 3, and not disrupt things.

They can probably get to up to $50M of cap space if they wanted, but assuming that type of player is not out there.

But with 10-12 future first available to trade, and some attractive pieces like Wallace, and decent cap filler in Dort, they can easily make a move for another really good core player.

I still say a Giddey for WCJ deals makes so much sense.

Magic get a big PG who can create for others and they have the defense to cover for him.

OKC gets a C who spaces the floor which they want and he also is locked into a cheap, declining contract which is ideal. And it saves Chet's body from going up against C's.

They keep Wallace who they need even more after trading Giddey and they still can go after a star if one comes available.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#106 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:59 am

JN wrote:Outside of Toronto, I'm most intrigued by what OKC does this offseason -- Do they push some assets in and an all-star level player to add to the core of Holmgren, SGA, Jalen Williams. Or they keep the path, look for internal growth to create a "4th" to add to those 3, and not disrupt things.

I don't think they need another all-star. They already have 3 and eventually 2 more will need to be paid max money. I think they need to focus on the Derrick White's or Jakob Poeltl's (lol my hope), in other words high end role players, and build a solid, deep rotation. They need more players like Dort.

I can see Giddey being traded but not Wallace or Dort.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,619

Post#107 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:40 pm

I feel like OKC is going to slow roll their plan again and then everyone gets super expensive and they're going to get stuck again. In about 2 seasons, they're looking at Shai with a supermax, Chet at max, Williams at max before we even talk about guys like Dort, Giddey, Wallace. They need to be really aggressive now before everyone gets super expensive because once the core gets paid, they're going to have fill out the rest of the roster with cheaper, more limited depth players.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,004

Post#108 » by anotherhomer » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:00 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:I feel like OKC is going to slow roll their plan again and then everyone gets super expensive and they're going to get stuck again. In about 2 seasons, they're looking at Shai with a supermax, Chet at max, Williams at max before we even talk about guys like Dort, Giddey, Wallace. They need to be really aggressive now before everyone gets super expensive because once the core gets paid, they're going to have fill out the rest of the roster with cheaper, more limited depth players.

maybe that's why they keeping their picks, because they know they will need to replace some of those players
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#109 » by dagger » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:02 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Hopefully he's referring to Brown & Boucher lol

that would be good for salary matching, but not salary dumping. The Raptors don't need to dump either, not from the finical perspective. I'd a team is looking two seasons ahead, and there might be one or two of those, taking on one-year deals for longer makes sense, but I suspect Masai and Bobby will be loathe to take on longer contracts unless there is a clear value added beyond the dollars taken on.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,329

Post#110 » by JB7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:23 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:I feel like OKC is going to slow roll their plan again and then everyone gets super expensive and they're going to get stuck again. In about 2 seasons, they're looking at Shai with a supermax, Chet at max, Williams at max before we even talk about guys like Dort, Giddey, Wallace. They need to be really aggressive now before everyone gets super expensive because once the core gets paid, they're going to have fill out the rest of the roster with cheaper, more limited depth players.

maybe that's why they keeping their picks, because they know they will need to replace some of those players

Yes, the picks definitely help, in either drafting talent or trading the picks for talent on reasonable deals.

I guess the question is, does the core of SGA, Chet and Jalen have enough to carry the team to a championship, or will they fail like the previous OKC team, before everyone becomes too costly (Chet & Jalen only have 2 years left on their rookie deals). And that previous OKC team had superstar talent and balance (KD, Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka).

I thought they might have tried to push some of their trade assets in early to make a run at Giannis, if he became available, but this leg injury he has would make me worry about his achilles, and they probably can't afford to take that risk.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,832

Post#111 » by Jadoogar » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 pm

There's going to be a lot of disappointed teams looking for a change. Hawks and Kings didn't even make the playoffs. Lakers and Phoenix likely out in the first round. Dallas or Clippers will be very disappointed to lose in the first round. Philly will probably point to injuries (for the 7th year in a row). Orlando didn't have big ambitions but the playoffs have exposed their biggest weaknesses. Spurs could be looking to make the next step considering they have a superstar on their hands.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#112 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:45 pm

Jadoogar wrote:There's going to be a lot of disappointed teams looking for a change. Hawks and Kings didn't even make the playoffs. Lakers and Phoenix likely out in the first round. Dallas or Clippers will be very disappointed to lose in the first round. Philly will probably point to injuries (for the 7th year in a row). Orlando didn't have big ambitions but the playoffs have exposed their biggest weaknesses. Spurs could be looking to make the next step considering they have a superstar on their hands.

I agree with all that.

On the Spurs, that was my thinking as well. I read somewhere, maybe Stein?, that the Spurs were looking at aiming for the top end of the lottery again next year.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,808

Post#113 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 pm

mrdressup wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

You only get who you want. This type of proverbial young talented player is a rare thing to be able to get. You certainly don't settle for crap. We've never really had a problem getting vets to stabilize the roster.

Do you mean vets who are too old to play but can act as mentors?
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,619

Post#114 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:There's going to be a lot of disappointed teams looking for a change. Hawks and Kings didn't even make the playoffs. Lakers and Phoenix likely out in the first round. Dallas or Clippers will be very disappointed to lose in the first round. Philly will probably point to injuries (for the 7th year in a row). Orlando didn't have big ambitions but the playoffs have exposed their biggest weaknesses. Spurs could be looking to make the next step considering they have a superstar on their hands.

I agree with all that.

On the Spurs, that was my thinking as well. I read somewhere, maybe Stein?, that the Spurs were looking at aiming for the top end of the lottery again next year.

Every year the Spurs waste with Wemby on a rookie deal is completely idiotic imo.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#115 » by dagger » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:08 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:Anyone suggesting to trade for Wiggins needs to actually watch basketball.

2022 Wiggs is nothing more than a fluke. What you see right now is what you're getting. He's 29 on the decline and simply does not care about basketball enough to improve his game. Add on to his disgusting contract anyone GM needs to be fired on the spot if they trade for him.

Anyone who thinks trading for Wiggins is actually about Wiggins needs to actually follow how roster and cap management works.

You get some future assets (Moody, a first, whatever) - and then you have the ability to later parlay Wiggins + other salaries (GTJ maybe?) if you want to make a bigger splash down the road. You also cant ignore the possibility a move revitalizes Wiggins career - he is is overpaid but he is far from a bad player. A guy who is a solid defender who is shooting 38% from 3 the last 4 years.

IQ/RJ/Wiggins/Barnes/Poeltl is far from a bad lineup to have as we transition as a franchise.

Not to mention that eventually Wiggins is an expiring, and having a $24M expiring in the current NBA client where teams need to get off money could be extremely valuable to have.

All of this Wiggins stuff is off-the-charts unlikely. There is only so much dead money a team will take on to get a middling talent like Moody or another (likely to be lottery protected pick). Moody is extension eligible this summer, so add an MLE-type contract for him on top of the Wiggins money. That becomes enormously expensive for a bunch of bench guys.

The same pressures created by the new CBA ton tax teams also are formulating the thinking of currently non-tax teams. Every team looks at all of its downstream cost pressures - notably extensions or new contracts with their own players to be negotiated, future draft pick salaries, etc. The Raptors will be adding a new contract for IQ. They will have a couple of draft pick salaries to add, and one fairly significant one if they keep their own pick and even jump up in this draft.

For Toronto, the Wiggins thing sailed when GSW didn't become a Siakam bidder.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,268

Post#116 » by mrdressup » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:10 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
mrdressup wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

Do you mean vets who are too old to play but can act as mentors?

No one else is coming here since we aren't prioritizing playing vets to get in no man's land these days. By vet I mean someone who is playing out his career for a minimum salary. We clearly aren't signing vets who have significant gas in the tank and want to compete for something unless they are completely unsought. Kelly O was a good find for us. Vets who would be desiring to come here are probably in short supply. Those who would come, or stay (like Boucher) are probably worth avoiding. It would be best if we could just get mature young players and lose a lot for another year. I'd like anyone who shows emotions after years of having stoics line-ups. Scottie is good that way. It's one of the reasons why I don't like Trent Jr. There's no energy to feed off of with him.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,832

Post#117 » by Jadoogar » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:20 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

I agree with all that.

Every year the Spurs waste with Wemby on a rookie deal is completely idiotic imo.

Honestly i don't think they are going to be able to tank with Wemby on the roster (unless they pull some OKC style tanking and sit Wemby for an extended period). He's like Luka, if he's playing, there is going to a be minimum baseline for this team.
JB7
Analyst

Post#118 » by JB7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:28 pm

dagger wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:Anyone suggesting to trade for Wiggins needs to actually watch basketball.

2022 Wiggs is nothing more than a fluke. What you see right now is what you're getting. He's 29 on the decline and simply does not care about basketball enough to improve his game. Add on to his disgusting contract anyone GM needs to be fired on the spot if they trade for him.

Anyone who thinks trading for Wiggins is actually about Wiggins needs to actually follow how roster and cap management works.

You get some future assets (Moody, a first, whatever) - and then you have the ability to later parlay Wiggins + other salaries (GTJ maybe?) if you want to make a bigger splash down the road. You also cant ignore the possibility a move revitalizes Wiggins career - he is is overpaid but he is far from a bad player. A guy who is a solid defender who is shooting 38% from 3 the last 4 years.

IQ/RJ/Wiggins/Barnes/Poeltl is far from a bad lineup to have as we transition as a franchise.

Not to mention that eventually Wiggins is an expiring, and having a $24M expiring in the current NBA client where teams need to get off money could be extremely valuable to have.

All of this Wiggins stuff is off-the-charts unlikely. There is only so much dead money a team will take on to get a middling talent like Moody or another (likely to be lottery protected pick). Moody is extension eligible this summer, so add an MLE-type contract for him on top of the Wiggins money. That becomes enormously expensive for a bunch of bench guys.

The same pressures created by the new CBA ton tax teams also are formulating the thinking of currently non-tax teams. Every team looks at all of its downstream cost pressures - notably extensions or new contracts with their own players to be negotiated, future draft pick salaries, etc. The Raptors will be adding a new contract for IQ. They will have a couple of draft pick salaries to add, and one fairly significant one if they keep their own pick and even jump up in this draft.

For Toronto, the Wiggins thing sailed when GSW didn't become a Siakam bidder.

Not necessarily. The team will have enough room after RJ ($26M), Yak ($20M), IQ ($26-30M) and Scottie ($10M next season, probably followed by $36M the following) to absorb a contract like Wiggins ($26M), and still fill out the rest of the roster.

The choice on Wiggins, is whether there is a better trade candidate for Bruce Brown's contract that could become available next season, and whether the team wants to resign GTJ. If they are fine letting both Brown and GTJ walk this offseason, they could probably easily absorb Wiggins deal into that space (could tack on McDaniels' deal in the trade to free up $5M, and even Boucher's deal, almost $11M if it is required to make the trade work).

The good thing about Wiggins deal is it ends the same year as RJ, Yak and Gradey's deals. So when RJ and Gradey's deal need to be renegotiated, the team has just freed up space from Wiggins and Yak's expiring deals.

But that means then the core is probably set for the next 3 years: Barnes, RJ, IQ, Yak, Wiggins, Dick, plus whatever players they acquire through draft picks. And there are complimentary pieces like KO and OA.

The question on Wiggins is whether he is the best asset the Raps could acquire with that additional cap space room, as teams look to dump salaries with the new CBA restrictions kicking in.
JB7
Analyst

Post#119 » by JB7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:30 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
I agree with all that.

Honestly i don't think they are going to be able to tank with Wemby on the roster (unless they pull some OKC style tanking and sit Wemby for an extended period). He's like Luka, if he's playing, there is going to a be minimum baseline for this team.

If the Spurs don't start making moves (trades), they are going to have a hard time competing in the West next year, if all they have is Wemby.

They have already indicated they are not interested in Trae, but maybe a reunion with Dejounte. Don't know if them saying they are not interested in Trae is just to suppress his value more in any deal they swing.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,915

Post#120 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:38 pm

Woj: Expect a lot of BDE comments this summer
In Masai We Trust :meditate:

Return to Toronto Raptors