ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Expect a lot of player movement this summer

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,340

Re: Woj: Expect a lot of player movement this summer 

Post#21 » by Scase » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:41 am

ItsDanger wrote:
Read on Twitter

29 now, would be risky to acquire him. Key factor would be why the periodic poor performances and absences from team.

Nah, you aren't acquiring him to be a productive member of the team, you acquire him to bleed GSW of a prospect + pick. If he provides any production, it's the cherry on the sundae.
Props TZ!
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,601

Post#22 » by HangTime » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:33 am

I'd take
Wiggins
Paul
2025 FRP
option to swap our own or Indiana's 2026 FRP
Option to swap 2027 FRP

-if we don't exercise the both options, then we get a 2028 FRP.

for

Brown, McDaniels, and Boucher

Maybe Paul agrees to a buyout,
or he's our backup and/or 1 year mentor

As for Wiggins, I just think he needs a fresh start. Maybe playing at home will help.

The warriors get salary relief
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,901

Post#23 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:29 am

DG88 wrote:Great opportunity for us to be a cap space team to take on contracts + picks. I think we try to set ourselves up from that come draft day.

Also, every year come end of camp there are so many bargains with final cuts. We should be looking to "draft" develop some of these cuts. One example last year was Usman Garuba. Perfect 905 opportunity. Better that than wasting a pick on raw non shooters like Ryan Dunn or Ulrich Chomche. Wait til someone else cuts them and get them into our system. Point is keep open spots like two for this purpose. Banton another example. Also, signing hot players in Summer league is kind of like that with JFL but they are barely in the Scottie timeline.nor would be a Jeff Dowtin. Everyone wants to trade injured Brown in a hurry but truth be told, when healthy he is better than most of the free agents we've ever signed. We have to be opportunists. Let it come to us. We need shooting, interior presence and defence.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,606

Post#24 » by Ackshun » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:35 am

HangTime wrote:I'd take
Wiggins
Paul
2025 FRP
Option to swap 2027 FRP

for

As for Wiggins, I just think he needs a fresh start. Maybe playing at home will help.

I think warriors can do much better Brown/McDaniels/Boucher if they are attaching picks.

I can see Brown traded for a late first or second. The other guys, nothing.. maybe a second rounder.

Imo Poetl is our only trade chip if we are retooling once again
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,004

Post#25 » by anotherhomer » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:31 pm

Ackshun wrote:
HangTime wrote:I'd take
Wiggins
Paul
2025 FRP
Option to swap 2027 FRP

for

I think warriors can do much better Brown/McDaniels/Boucher if they are attaching picks.

I can see Brown traded for a late first or second. The other guys, nothing.. maybe a second rounder.

Imo Poetl is our only trade chip if we are retooling once again

i would agree....GSW have other trade options to explore
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#26 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:44 pm

DG88 wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:Has anyone put together a decent list of candidates that might move? It'd be nice to put some names to it.

Any team that deep into the tax will probably have to move players.

Here's the list of teams currently in the luxury tax
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/tax/

Sheesh the Suns tax bill is insane lol.

But that list assumes that guys like PG and Klay/CP walk this summer for nothing (or re-sign with their current respective teams for the vet min :lol: ). I doubt that Ballmer cares about the tax.
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,268

Post#27 » by mrdressup » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:57 pm

Whatever you do not put big money into vets because you once loved them. Keep an eye out for any talented young players and overpay if you have to.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,605

Post#28 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:05 pm

Getting Wiggins makes no sense for us. People need to move on from that idea.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,204

Post#29 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:54 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:Getting Wiggins makes no sense for us. People need to move on from that idea.

Other than he is actually a decent fit in the SL and that we would be getting him on the condition of receiving additional assets - sure... he does not fit at all.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,799

Post#30 » by Lord_Zedd » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:00 pm

DG88 wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:Has anyone put together a decent list of candidates that might move? It'd be nice to put some names to it.

Portland is the team to watch here. Mainly because a rebuilding team like Portland has no business being that close to the tax. Though their draft picks will push them over.

If the Raptors want some veteran-osity, Portland has Brogdan, Time Lord and Thybulle
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#31 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:19 pm

Lord_Zedd wrote:
DG88 wrote:

Portland is the team to watch here. Mainly because a rebuilding team like Portland has no business being that close to the tax. Though their draft picks will push them over.

If the Raptors want some veteran-osity, Portland has Brogdan, Time Lord and Thybulle

I don’t think Portland will have any tax worries

They won’t have any problem trading one of their vets for less money coming back…or possibly no money coming back.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,714

Post#32 » by Pointgod » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:41 pm

This is good for us assuming that the front office is going to be aggressive.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,513

Post#33 » by Brinbe » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:25 pm

Of course, there can only be one champion and a lot of teams are currently pot-committed so there will naturally be lots of disappointed teams, which means there'll be a lot of teams either changing course or re-shaping their cores to further compete.

We'll possibly have the flexibility/capspace to take advantage if the right players/assets come along but obviously we wouldn't be the only ones sniffing around.

That being said, we're a far ways away from competing so it's still good to keep expectations in check.
Jeremy Lin 7
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,309

Post#34 » by Jeremy Lin 7 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:35 pm

Anyone suggesting to trade for Wiggins needs to actually watch basketball.

2022 Wiggs is nothing more than a fluke. What you see right now is what you're getting. He's 29 on the decline and simply does not care about basketball enough to improve his game. Add on to his disgusting contract anyone GM needs to be fired on the spot if they trade for him.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,204

Post#35 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:39 pm

Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:Anyone suggesting to trade for Wiggins needs to actually watch basketball.

2022 Wiggs is nothing more than a fluke. What you see right now is what you're getting. He's 29 on the decline and simply does not care about basketball enough to improve his game. Add on to his disgusting contract anyone GM needs to be fired on the spot if they trade for him.

Anyone who thinks trading for Wiggins is actually about Wiggins needs to actually follow how roster and cap management works.

You get some future assets (Moody, a first, whatever) - and then you have the ability to later parlay Wiggins + other salaries (GTJ maybe?) if you want to make a bigger splash down the road. You also cant ignore the possibility a move revitalizes Wiggins career - he is is overpaid but he is far from a bad player. A guy who is a solid defender who is shooting 38% from 3 the last 4 years.

IQ/RJ/Wiggins/Barnes/Poeltl is far from a bad lineup to have as we transition as a franchise.

Not to mention that eventually Wiggins is an expiring, and having a $24M expiring in the current NBA client where teams need to get off money could be extremely valuable to have.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Jeremy Lin 7
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,309

Post#36 » by Jeremy Lin 7 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:48 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:Anyone suggesting to trade for Wiggins needs to actually watch basketball.

Anyone who thinks trading for Wiggins is actually about Wiggins needs to actually follow how roster and cap management works.

You get some future assets (Moody, a first, whatever) - and then you have the ability to later parlay Wiggins + other salaries (GTJ maybe?) if you want to make a bigger splash down the road. You also cant ignore the possibility a move revitalizes Wiggins career - he is is overpaid but he is far from a bad player. A guy who is a solid defender who is shooting 38% from 3 the last 4 years.

IQ/RJ/Wiggins/Barnes/Poeltl is far from a bad lineup to have as we transition as a franchise.

Not to mention that eventually Wiggins is an expiring, and having a $24M expiring in the current NBA client where teams need to get off money could be extremely valuable to have.

Expiring contracts don't have the same value as they did 10 years ago. He has two years excluding his player option left his deal. You have to consider he's going to take up minutes away from younger guys (Dick, Abagji) to develop. I much rather have those 25-30 minutes go to a younger player. GSW isn't giving up additional assets like moody, and a first just for a salary dump. If anything it'll be for proven players like Pascal and OG (who we don't have anymore) to help in the near term.

Not to mention guys like Wiggins don't the fit culture Masai is trying to build now.

If I'm Jontay Porter I'm taking the under on Wiggins revitalizing his career.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,481

Post#37 » by Spida888 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:49 pm

Unless Klay takes a big pay cut, I think GSW may just let him walk instead of giving up young/future assets to get rid of Wiggins' contract at this juncture.

It's one thing to keep Klay and appease Steph if Klay was still playing well, but dude is inconsistent at this point in his career and isn't worth a big contract. Even if they bring him back, that team will be close to a play-in team again next year.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,781

Post#38 » by VanWest82 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:50 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Said it elsewhere but Bruce Brown + McDaniels for Wiggins + the right amount of assets to make it worth the Wiggins contract. I think Moody + 1st Rounder would be perfect.

Like RJ was, Wiggins is currently seen as a bad contract but the man will only makes 2M more than Bruce Brown. He's had some family issues so maybe playing closer to his family and one motivation of playing in Toronto can make him return to the guy he was during the 2022 Warriors Championship run.

Even if he doesn't, his wing defense can still be helpful in the starting lineup and we will get those additional assets for the trouble. These are the type of chances we will need to take this offseason because we truly don't have much to lose lol.

IQ/ Draft Pick or Free Agent
RJ/ Dick
Wiggins/ Ochai
Barnes/ Olynyk
Poeltl/ Draft Pick or Free Agent

Why are Warriors paying to get off Wiggins's contract? All they have to do is let Klay walk and they're already close to the tax line.

Because it's already been reported that the Warriors are exploring trades for Wiggins and also because Klay is Klay man... Warriors would prefer to keep him Curry and Green together if its possible. Wiggins doesn't have that type of love for obvious reasons.

I'm sure they are exploring trades to see what's out there but do you really think they're going to give up future assets and continue paying tax bills so they can bring back an again core that just missed the playoffs while healthy? I just don't see them doing that without a significant upgrade coming back. Brown and Boucher aren't those guys, and they don't need Trent.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,455

Post#39 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:04 pm

DG88 wrote:Great opportunity for us to be a cap space team to take on contracts + picks. I think we try to set ourselves up from that come draft day.

Well, we already have the Bruce Brown contract. We also have Boucher. Perhaps these deals can be used to take on some salary that's coming with picks or young players? Especially Brown's deal. He's a solid vet that's a big money expiring. I gotta imagine there's a tax or near tax team that wants to get out from under it.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,859

Post#40 » by Los_29 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:07 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Said it elsewhere but Bruce Brown + McDaniels for Wiggins + the right amount of assets to make it worth the Wiggins contract. I think Moody + 1st Rounder would be perfect.

Like RJ was, Wiggins is currently seen as a bad contract but the man will only makes 2M more than Bruce Brown. He's had some family issues so maybe playing closer to his family and one motivation of playing in Toronto can make him return to the guy he was during the 2022 Warriors Championship run.

Even if he doesn't, his wing defense can still be helpful in the starting lineup and we will get those additional assets for the trouble. These are the type of chances we will need to take this offseason because we truly don't have much to lose lol.

IQ/ Draft Pick or Free Agent
RJ/ Dick
Wiggins/ Ochai
Barnes/ Olynyk
Poeltl/ Draft Pick or Free Agent

Why are Warriors paying to get off Wiggins's contract? All they have to do is let Klay walk and they're already close to the tax line.

Because it's already been reported that the Warriors are exploring trades for Wiggins and also because Klay is Klay man... Warriors would prefer to keep him Curry and Green together if its possible. Wiggins doesn't have that type of love for obvious reasons.

What are the Warriors seeing that no one else sees? That core is completely done. They need to move on from it because they aren’t going to win with that roster.

I can’t believe how much they botched those drafts. Three squandered lottery picks.

Return to Toronto Raptors