ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Expect a lot of player movement this summer

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,346

Re: Woj: Expect a lot of player movement this summer 

Post#81 » by Scase » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:41 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
Ackshun wrote:
HangTime wrote:I'd take
Wiggins
Paul
2025 FRP
option to swap our own or Indiana's 2026 FRP
Option to swap 2027 FRP

-if we don't exercise the both options, then we get a 2028 FRP.

for

Brown, McDaniels, and Boucher

Maybe Paul agrees to a buyout,
or he's our backup and/or 1 year mentor

As for Wiggins, I just think he needs a fresh start. Maybe playing at home will help.

The warriors get salary relief

I think warriors can do much better Brown/McDaniels/Boucher if they are attaching picks.

I can see Brown traded for a late first or second. The other guys, nothing.. maybe a second rounder.

Imo Poetl is our only trade chip if we are retooling once again

i would agree....GSW have other trade options to explore

It's less about the return for them, and more about getting off the wiggins contract since they desperately need to get under the tax.
Props TZ!
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,721

Post#82 » by Ell Curry » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:44 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
So we net out as:

In: Wiggins / GP2 / Looney / 2025 1st
Out: Poeltl / Brown / 2026 1st

Why excatly do we do that trade..? We give up the best player, and the closest pick, and get back a negative contracts and 2 older UFAs?

Idea would be that the Pacers 2026 first is probably around #20 and the Warriors 2025 first might get us a top 6-8 pick in this coming draft. The nightmare scenario here is we don't convey the pick this year, finish with the 7th or 10th pick next year, give that up to San Antonio and suddenly we're in a Bulls/Hawks situation where Barnes has no co-star and we're winning 35 games a year until we have to insanely overpay and lose like 4 years of firsts and a solid player like Markkanen (split the difference between his last Cavs year and first Utah year) like Cleveland did for Mitchell - so for us it would be Barrett or Quickley - just to be a R1/R2 team.

Right now, we're on a really bad long-term path (no high upside, little tank upside) unless we keep our pick in next year's draft or we somehow find a steal in the draft this year or in 2026.
Where's the D?
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,205

Post#83 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:07 am

Ell Curry wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
So we net out as:

In: Wiggins / GP2 / Looney / 2025 1st
Out: Poeltl / Brown / 2026 1st

Why excatly do we do that trade..? We give up the best player, and the closest pick, and get back a negative contracts and 2 older UFAs?

Idea would be that the Pacers 2026 first is probably around #20 and the Warriors 2025 first might get us a top 6-8 pick in this coming draft. The nightmare scenario here is we don't convey the pick this year, finish with the 7th or 10th pick next year, give that up to San Antonio and suddenly we're in a Bulls/Hawks situation where Barnes has no co-star and we're winning 35 games a year until we have to insanely overpay and lose like 4 years of firsts and a solid player like Markkanen (split the difference between his last Cavs year and first Utah year) like Cleveland did for Mitchell - so for us it would be Barrett or Quickley - just to be a R1/R2 team.

Right now, we're on a really bad long-term path (no high upside, little tank upside) unless we keep our pick in next year's draft or we somehow find a steal in the draft this year or in 2026.

Just horrible asset management to give up Poeltl to move up MAYBE 10 spots in the draft. MAYBE.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#84 » by Ell Curry » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:22 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:Just horrible asset management to give up Poeltl to move up MAYBE 10 spots in the draft. MAYBE.

Yeah, like I said, to get a 2nd star, we're probably gonna have to either:

1) cash in a 15% chance of moving into the top 4 of the draft next year (if we're say 10th worst which feels about right with the current team) and nail the pick
2) make an incredible trade or signing and find a Lauri Markkannen/Brunson
3) pray that we get some non-serious (as in affecting a guy past next year) injuries next year to keep our top 6 pick next year
4) give up this year's pick if it's 7th and nail a pick in the 2nd half of the lotto next year

so yeah, we're currently at say a 25% chance of getting a serious Barnes co-star at present.

The other option is to try to be a 1-star team like the Knicks and maybe you find a Randle type fake-star, which I guess Barrett could be, and surround them with quality 3+D guys, a top coach and maybe you're a pseudo-contender like the Knicks.

I guarantee other GMs are pencilling in a Scottie Barnes trade 3-4 years into his extension as a serious possibility at the moment, though. We're headed straight for that Vucevic Magic/Demar Bulls morass at the moment.
Where's the D?
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,907

Post#85 » by Merit » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:17 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:As much as people say you can't build around Trae, a Barnes/Trae combo is intriguing.

Would still prefer a Dejounte/Barnes combo.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#86 » by Merit » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:18 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Just horrible asset management to give up Poeltl to move up MAYBE 10 spots in the draft. MAYBE.

1) cash in a 15% chance of moving into the top 4 of the draft next year (if we're say 10th worst which feels about right with the current team) and nail the pick
3) pray that we get some non-serious (as in affecting a guy past next year) injuries next year to keep our top 6 pick next year
4) give up this year's pick if it's 7th and nail a pick in the 2nd half of the lotto next year

so yeah, we're currently at say a 25% chance of getting a serious Barnes co-star at present.

The other option is to try to be a 1-star team like the Knicks and maybe you find a Randle type fake-star, which I guess Barrett could be, and surround them with quality 3+D guys, a top coach and maybe you're a pseudo-contender like the Knicks.

I guarantee other GMs are pencilling in a Scottie Barnes trade 3-4 years into his extension as a serious possibility at the moment, though. We're headed straight for that Vucevic Magic/Demar Bulls morass at the moment.

The Knicks are going to exceed your expectations this year. The only morass I see is that people here are making a morass out of themselves with their horrible hot takes.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#87 » by Merit » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:25 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:Since when does Woj reporting mean anything any more?

Breaking stuff that has happened…no one better.

Predicting? Nah. That is Windy’s game.

Woj is a mouthpiece. Anything predicting he puts out is because someone has motive.

And yes, I’m still bitter on his reporting Raptors will get value/young player-pick for Brown. Damn you Woj. Damn you.

In fairness, his prediction can still come to pass.
I believe in Masai.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,065

Post#88 » by ontnut » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:54 pm

Trae to SA would be a boatload of fun, and makes a ton of sense for both sides. I could also see him in MIN for KAT.
Scase
RealGM

Post#89 » by Scase » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:00 pm

Merit wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:

The Knicks are going to exceed your expectations this year. The only morass I see is that people here are making a morass out of themselves with their horrible hot takes.

I'm a bit confused here, you said the Knicks are going to exceed their expectations as a pseudo contender this year, are you saying you think they are legitimate title contenders this year?
Props TZ!
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#90 » by ArthurVandelay » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:25 pm

Merit wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:Since when does Woj reporting mean anything any more?

Breaking stuff that has happened…no one better.

Predicting? Nah. That is Windy’s game.

Woj is a mouthpiece. Anything predicting he puts out is because someone has motive.

And yes, I’m still bitter on his reporting Raptors will get value/young player-pick for Brown. Damn you Woj. Damn you.

In fairness, his prediction can still come to pass.

Hopefully
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,606

Post#91 » by Ackshun » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:44 pm

Scase wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:
Ackshun wrote:
I think warriors can do much better Brown/McDaniels/Boucher if they are attaching picks.

I can see Brown traded for a late first or second. The other guys, nothing.. maybe a second rounder.

Imo Poetl is our only trade chip if we are retooling once again

It's less about the return for them, and more about getting off the wiggins contract since they desperately need to get under the tax.

So why would they want Browns $22 mill salary? Anyhow, they can still do better. Wiggins at that $$ with a few good assets attached will still net them more than we can offer.
Scase
RealGM

Post#92 » by Scase » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:47 pm

Ackshun wrote:
Scase wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:

So why would they want Browns $22 mill salary? Anyhow, they can still do better. Wiggins at that $$ with a few good assets attached will still net them more than we can offer.

He expires that year vs 3 more years of Wiggins, pretty straight forward really.
Props TZ!
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach

Post#93 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:03 pm

There should be a lot of movement this summer. Lots of teams have made a big push for a title but most will fall woefully short. Miami, Bucks, 76ers, Suns, Clippers, Lakers, Mavs are all teams in win now mode. Then you have teams like the Hawks, Kings, Warriors, Bulls in no mans land that’ll have to make moves. Teams like OKC, Rockets, Raptors have cap flexibility. It should be an eventful summer. Don’t put down your phones!
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#94 » by Ell Curry » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:24 pm

Merit wrote:

The Knicks are good, I was being positive. I could have said lots of the 1-star teams with solid supporting casts that never got anywhere. Hell the Spurs had a guy who might be as good as prime Barnes this year and lost 60 games. It's a pretty broad spectrum for 1-star teams, hell we arguably won the title with one, but I'd guess the median peak outcome is like 45-48 wins and maybe at best a conference title appearance. Better to be Portland than Sacramento the last 10 years, but you don't build to be Dame's Portland.
Where's the D?
Ackshun
General Manager

Post#95 » by Ackshun » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 pm

Scase wrote:
Ackshun wrote:
Scase wrote:It's less about the return for them, and more about getting off the wiggins contract since they desperately need to get under the tax.

He expires that year vs 3 more years of Wiggins, pretty straight forward really.

Got it. Have you looked at their 2025/2026 cap sheet?
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#96 » by Ell Curry » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:46 pm

Scase wrote:
Merit wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:

I'm a bit confused here, you said the Knicks are going to exceed their expectations as a pseudo contender this year, are you saying you think they are legitimate title contenders this year?

I'm disagreeing with this guy, but it's fair to argue the Knicks might be legit title contenders if Randle was healthy. 12-2 with Randle and OG both healthy is small sample but pretty good. They were also up multiple firsts so if this draft hadn't sucked so much they could probably have acquired someone better than Bogdanovic so from a team-building perspective it's not crazy to think they built a contender, but I think the amount of teams whose 2nd best player is Julius Randle level and their best player isn't a top 5 guy (Brunson was probably that in the regular season but small guards who aren't Steph just can't be counted on to be top 5 playoff guys, top 10-15 more likely) and never sniff true contention is probably like a 10 to 1 ratio.
Where's the D?
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,537

Post#97 » by ForeverTFC » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:58 pm

Merit wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:As much as people say you can't build around Trae, a Barnes/Trae combo is intriguing.

Would still prefer a Dejounte/Barnes combo.

Barnes' pairing needs be a threat shooting the ball. Dejounte isn't a good fit. IQ is a much better fit and cheaper than both.
greekman
Senior
And1: 325

Post#98 » by greekman » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:18 am

anyone including poetl has no idea. without a center they forefeiting another season
Scase
RealGM

Post#99 » by Scase » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:53 am

Ackshun wrote:
Scase wrote:
Ackshun wrote:

Got it. Have you looked at their 2025/2026 cap sheet?

Yes, but I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.
Props TZ!
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#100 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:53 am

greekman wrote:anyone including poetl has no idea. without a center they forefeiting another season

Unless that is the idea

Return to Toronto Raptors