ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Expect a lot of player movement this summer

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,349

Re: Woj: Expect a lot of player movement this summer 

Post#141 » by JB7 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:54 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
Reid just won 6MOY, ix only 24, and is on arguably the best contract in the NBA. The Wolves likely won't trade him for anything, and will move KAT this summer.

Reid only has one year left on that deal. 2025-2026 is a player option which I'm sure he opts out.

You need to know Taylor owns the paper it was published in, but it was reported ARod and new ownership was planning to cut salary and trade KAT. That is part of the reason behind why Taylor halted the sale, apparently.

They are going to be another interesting team to watch.

I'm well aware of the battle going and IMO it's just Taylor trying to back out because of how much the team's valuation has soared.

I should have clarified that "if anything" they move KAT, and I think that because it's the logical move. They have a guy that's on the cusp of being a top 5 player, they have a guy who is about to win his 4th DPOY, they have the 6MOY on a bargain deal, and even the McDaniels contract is looking like it's going to be a great value deal. If they move anyone, it will be KAT, IMO, who has been constantly injured the last 5 years and is probably the guy they can most afford to lose.

To add, the Wolves probably have an interested partner in the Knicks. I could see them moving Randle for Towns. Randle will cost $20M less next year, and he has a player option the following year, which if he exercises, the Wolves could just let him walk and save the $30M, to spend on Reid (who is a fan favorite in Minny). And maybe the Wolves could get the Knicks to throw in a pick or two.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,177

Post#142 » by MiamiSPX » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 pm

JB7 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Reid only has one year left on that deal. 2025-2026 is a player option which I'm sure he opts out.

You need to know Taylor owns the paper it was published in, but it was reported ARod and new ownership was planning to cut salary and trade KAT. That is part of the reason behind why Taylor halted the sale, apparently.

They are going to be another interesting team to watch.

I'm well aware of the battle going and IMO it's just Taylor trying to back out because of how much the team's valuation has soared.

I should have clarified that "if anything" they move KAT, and I think that because it's the logical move. They have a guy that's on the cusp of being a top 5 player, they have a guy who is about to win his 4th DPOY, they have the 6MOY on a bargain deal, and even the McDaniels contract is looking like it's going to be a great value deal. If they move anyone, it will be KAT, IMO, who has been constantly injured the last 5 years and is probably the guy they can most afford to lose.

To add, the Wolves probably have an interested partner in the Knicks. I could see them moving Randle for Towns. Randle will cost $20M less next year, and he has a player option the following year, which if he exercises, the Wolves could just let him walk and save the $30M, to spend on Reid (who is a fan favorite in Minny). And maybe the Wolves could get the Knicks to throw in a pick or two.

Rose has done a good job (it helps when you operate in that gray area of "tampering") but I do think the NY market is going to cause them to get an itchy finger. I think they make a move for KAT or Zion.
JB7
Analyst

Post#143 » by JB7 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:13 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
JB7 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

Rose has done a good job (it helps when you operate in that gray area of "tampering") but I do think the NY market is going to cause them to get an itchy finger. I think they make a move for KAT or Zion.

Definitely. They have been talking about adding another star for such a long time, and with the way Brunson has developed, I think they go the KAT route, rather than the Mitchell or Zion route.

KAT would be a nice 2nd option beside Brunson, as a floor spacer. And the Knicks could better cover up KAT's defensive shortcomings.

Knicks big 3 then becomes Brunson, KAT & OG.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,177

Post#144 » by MiamiSPX » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:20 pm

JB7 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
JB7 wrote:

Definitely. They have been talking about adding another star for such a long time, and with the way Brunson has developed, I think they go the KAT route, rather than the Mitchell or Zion route.

KAT would be a nice 2nd option beside Brunson, as a floor spacer. And the Knicks could better cover up KAT's defensive shortcomings.

Another reason I think they make a move, and I didn't know this until last month, is that Brunson will be 28 by the time next season starts. By no means old, but for some reason I thought he was 25 or 26. They don't have the time to let this thing grow organically.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,647

Post#145 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:21 pm

OG's going to be the highest paid Knick player next year, unless they make a huge trade for a max level star.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,894

Post#146 » by Kingsway_fan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:50 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:OG's going to be the highest paid Knick player next year, unless they make a huge trade for a max level star.

Remarkable.

They really lucked out in the Brunson signing...
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,364

Post#147 » by Scase » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:18 pm

JB7 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:What no one is thinking about with OKC is that they could easily trade their assets to either move up in the draft or trade for an impact guy on a rookie contract. So even when you have Chet, Shai and Williams on a max you could legitimately have an allstar or borderline all star on a rookie deal. That’s the beauty of having a ton of assets to trade. I do think Presti needs to stop the draft pick Ponzi scheme and start consolidating for impact.

Yes, that is the benefit to Presti's accumulation of picks. The downside is OKCs picks are worth less relative to another teams picks, because every other team knows Presti needs to either trade picks, or cut roster players. And it will only get worse in the coming years as more picks transfer to OKC.

Overall I think you're pretty on the mark here, but I think it could skew the other way as well. If multiple teams that say, are looking to flip into a rebuild, or just need to build out a bench with cheaper contracts, you could have a bit of a bidding war for their war chest of picks.

Either way, I would definitely rather be in that position, than ours :lol:
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#148 » by JB7 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:45 pm

Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:What no one is thinking about with OKC is that they could easily trade their assets to either move up in the draft or trade for an impact guy on a rookie contract. So even when you have Chet, Shai and Williams on a max you could legitimately have an allstar or borderline all star on a rookie deal. That’s the beauty of having a ton of assets to trade. I do think Presti needs to stop the draft pick Ponzi scheme and start consolidating for impact.

Yes, that is the benefit to Presti's accumulation of picks. The downside is OKCs picks are worth less relative to another teams picks, because every other team knows Presti needs to either trade picks, or cut roster players. And it will only get worse in the coming years as more picks transfer to OKC.

Overall I think you're pretty on the mark here, but I think it could skew the other way as well. If multiple teams that say, are looking to flip into a rebuild, or just need to build out a bench with cheaper contracts, you could have a bit of a bidding war for their war chest of picks.

OKC is just in a position where they are starting to be squeezed at both ends.
- From a salary standpoint, two summers from now they are going to need to extend Chet and Jalen, and then the money will begin to disappear rapidly, assuming they both get max or near max deals (3 max contracts, and I don't know if Shai's extension has any language about converting to a supermax contract if he is eligible). At that point Giddy is probably gone, along with possibly Dort (last year of his deal is a team option).
- From a roster standpoint, they will start to get squeezed by all the draft picks, as they cannot roster all of these players. So they can try and package a bunch of players together in a deal, but it will be difficult for them to take back a larger salary if that salary extends beyond multiple years. Much like the Hayward deal at the deadline. OKC gave up Micic, Mann, 2 SRP picks (they acquired from other teams) and Bertans expiring deal for Hayward, who they might resign this offseason, or let him just walk. If he walks, they just dumped Micic, Mann & 2 SRPs for nothing, partly because they had to free up roster spots for incoming picks.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great position to be in, and one any team/FO would take. But it probably means they will not get full value for their assets, but then again they don't need to get full value, as they have so many assets.
Scase
RealGM

Post#149 » by Scase » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:59 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:

- From a salary standpoint, two summers from now they are going to need to extend Chet and Jalen, and then the money will begin to disappear rapidly, assuming they both get max or near max deals (3 max contracts, and I don't know if Shai's extension has any language about converting to a supermax contract if he is eligible). At that point Giddy is probably gone, along with possibly Dort (last year of his deal is a team option).
- From a roster standpoint, they will start to get squeezed by all the draft picks, as they cannot roster all of these players. So they can try and package a bunch of players together in a deal, but it will be difficult for them to take back a larger salary if that salary extends beyond multiple years. Much like the Hayward deal at the deadline. OKC gave up Micic, Mann, 2 SRP picks (they acquired from other teams) and Bertans expiring deal for Hayward, who they might resign this offseason, or let him just walk. If he walks, they just dumped Micic, Mann & 2 SRPs for nothing, partly because they had to free up roster spots for incoming picks.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great position to be in, and one any team/FO would take. But it probably means they will not get full value for their assets, but then again they don't need to get full value, as they have so many assets.

Yeah that's a real "suffering from success" situation that very few would complain about, certainly doesn't make it easy waters to navigate though.

I wonder if they package something like Giddey+Dort and some picks for another superstar type player. I think they have to keep a decent amount of the picks to help replace the bench they are losing with rookie contracts to help them balance the books. Sucks for them to lose Dort, which tbf isn't a forgone conclusion yet. But man, if we could find a way to move Jak to them, snag a pick or two and Dort, I would be over the moon. He is exactly what we need, on this team. Hell, at this point I would do it straight up for him :lol:

I just hope Masai does absolutely everything in his power to be part of whatever liquidation OKC needs to do, it would expedite the rebuild in a good way.
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#150 » by JB7 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:03 pm

Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:Overall I think you're pretty on the mark here, but I think it could skew the other way as well. If multiple teams that say, are looking to flip into a rebuild, or just need to build out a bench with cheaper contracts, you could have a bit of a bidding war for their war chest of picks.

Yeah that's a real "suffering from success" situation that very few would complain about, certainly doesn't make it easy waters to navigate though.

I wonder if they package something like Giddey+Dort and some picks for another superstar type player. I think they have to keep a decent amount of the picks to help replace the bench they are losing with rookie contracts to help them balance the books. Sucks for them to lose Dort, which tbf isn't a forgone conclusion yet. But man, if we could find a way to move Jak to them, snag a pick or two and Dort, I would be over the moon. He is exactly what we need, on this team. Hell, at this point I would do it straight up for him :lol:

I just hope Masai does absolutely everything in his power to be part of whatever liquidation OKC needs to do, it would expedite the rebuild in a good way.

OKC just needs to be careful about the star quality they bring in, because unless their ownership is ready to pay massive lux tax payments, they can't have a lot of other big contracts to pair with their big 3.
Scase
RealGM

Post#151 » by Scase » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:16 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:

OKC just needs to be careful about the star quality they bring in, because unless their ownership is ready to pay massive lux tax payments, they can't have a lot of other big contracts to pair with their big 3.

Either that, or hopefully they have learned from the way they completely **** the bed with Russ/KD/Harden. I wonder if for a small market team like OKC, does it even make sense to go into the lux to win, like will it bring in enough money to make up for it, vs a team that has a much larger fanbase?
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst

Post#152 » by JB7 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:21 pm

Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:Yeah that's a real "suffering from success" situation that very few would complain about, certainly doesn't make it easy waters to navigate though.

Either that, or hopefully they have learned from the way they completely **** the bed with Russ/KD/Harden. I wonder if for a small market team like OKC, does it even make sense to go into the lux to win, like will it bring in enough money to make up for it, vs a team that has a much larger fanbase?

Really it is about the Corporations and wealth in the city. GSW could pay massive lux tax bills, because they could pass the cost onto corporate/wealthy season ticket holders. OKC cannot do that, so it will come down to the owner eating those costs, if they want the best chance to win.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,720

Post#153 » by Pointgod » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:39 pm

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
JB7 wrote:

I think you both have valid points about OKC’s position. If you look at the model to emulate, it’s Denver. But at this point OKC doesn’t need their Aaron Gordon trade, they can afford to just keep trading multiple picks in the next couple of drafts to move up. They manage to keep getting teams to give up picks and swaps down the line, I don’t think they’ll have a problem jumping in this draft if they wanted to.

I was a huge critic of Presti but he’s demonstrated that the asset accumulation model works and the upside to team building is massive when your young guys are already productive while on their rookie contracts.
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,291

Post#154 » by Tripod » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:10 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Tripod wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Yeah IMO they should have been aggressively trying to get Poeltl. 19.5M for 4 years and he fills a need? Would have made a ton of sense for them, especially since if they needed cap later he would be easily moveable for assets again. Instead they got Hayward to play 19 minutes and take 1 shot.

They don't want a lane clogging C who can't shoot because so much of their offense is from getting into the lane fir easy buckets or kicking out to shooters. If they add a 20 million C, it will be one who can shoot from outside.

I mentioned WCJ as a fit.

They should have added more at the deadline because the future is never promised. Look at Philly with injuries. Denver lost a season with Murray hurt. Bucks this year with Giannis. When you have a great team AND unlimited assets, spend a few to help your chances.

They can want shooters everywhere all they want - guys like JV already are feasting on them. When they play against a team with a big they cannot run off the floor they are screwed.

Every team wants a big that can shoot. Reality is you aren't getting one for less than 30M a year or without giving up a huge # of assets

JV is feasting? He has had 13 and 19 points in the 2 games.

Only 7 C's make 30 million

OKC HAS lots of assets to do what they want if a C they want comes available. But the one thing us clear, they don't want a C like Yak because he disrupts how they play offense every possession. Now could they add a cheap, backup version of Yak....sure. But they 100% would go after a guy like WCJ if available vs Yak if available.
JB7
Analyst

Post#155 » by JB7 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:16 pm

Tripod wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Tripod wrote:They don't want a lane clogging C who can't shoot because so much of their offense is from getting into the lane fir easy buckets or kicking out to shooters. If they add a 20 million C, it will be one who can shoot from outside.

They should have added more at the deadline because the future is never promised. Look at Philly with injuries. Denver lost a season with Murray hurt. Bucks this year with Giannis. When you have a great team AND unlimited assets, spend a few to help your chances.

They can want shooters everywhere all they want - guys like JV already are feasting on them. When they play against a team with a big they cannot run off the floor they are screwed.

Every team wants a big that can shoot. Reality is you aren't getting one for less than 30M a year or without giving up a huge # of assets

OKC HAS lots of assets to do what they want if a C they want comes available. But the one thing us clear, they don't want a C like Yak because he disrupts how they play offense every possession. Now could they add a cheap, backup version of Yak....sure. But they 100% would go after a guy like WCJ if available vs Yak if available.

OKC could sign JV, if they really wanted a C. He is a FA this summer.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,229

Post#156 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:44 pm

Tripod wrote:

JV is averaging 16pts 13.5 rebounds in 26mpg (per 36 - 23 and 18). He just gets ran off the floor on the other end.

My point being - once they play against a big better than JV who already is putting up huge #'s they are gonna feel a lot of pain.

Okay? Now go look at the contracts for centers who shoot.

Naz Reid - labaled a C and arguably the best value deal in the league - falls under the category of "will take a lot of assets to get"

Lopez - 25M on a contract signed last summer at 35 years old.

JJJ - 27M

Wemby - will get the max

Horford - definitely took a huge paycut as a 35 year old at the time. OKC actually had hit funny enough :lol:

Tuner - 20M - but IIRC this is some **** because he was at 35M in 2022-23 and the figures were a really strange circumstance

And is that really it in terms of C's who can shoot and still are passable defensively? I assume we are not talking about the Olynyks, and the Sarics' of the world here.

Reality is - any center who can shoot and actually can play the C spot is making 30M on an open market outside of the old guys who accept less to play for contenders.

Poeltl IS cheap - that is the entire point. Paying 19M to a guy to be a starter/6th man/platoon type guy is 100% worth it for every single team. They simply cannot afford to out and get a guy who is gonna be paid $30+M without sacrificing someone from SGA/Dort/Williams/Chet. Poeltl however doesn't break the bank.

OBVIOUSLY they would rather have JJJ or Turner - but so would 29 other NBA teams and that is why those guys are gonna be paid almost double.

And lol at WCJ. That guy cannot stay on the floor. Anyone relying on him for anything is making a mistake. A team like Toronto could take the risk and hope he finds his health, but I give it a very small chance a contender like OKC hinges any risk on WCJ staying healthy. But FWIW - a healthy WCJ is making 25M+as well :lol:
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Scase
RealGM

Post#157 » by Scase » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:08 pm

Tripod wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Tripod wrote:They don't want a lane clogging C who can't shoot because so much of their offense is from getting into the lane fir easy buckets or kicking out to shooters. If they add a 20 million C, it will be one who can shoot from outside.

JV had 11 in the 1st Q of game 2, they only played him 22min. OKC didn't adjust to it, they stopped playing him. JV has been doing great.
Props TZ!
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,594

Post#158 » by DG88 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:16 pm

Considering all these tax teams are about to lose in the first round, Woj is right there will be a lot of player movement this summer. Raptors have to be aggressive in getting assets to build the team.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,852

Post#159 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:38 pm

JB7 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
JB7 wrote:

Yeah you can see right now, in the absence of #2 Randle, how much KAT would complete their roster. He could play stretch 5 sometimes too.

When I started watching them after the trade, when they had such a great January run, I thought the played too much iso ball with Randle and Brunson just taking turns. When JR and OG went out the ball movement became better even though still lots of iso by Brunson in all those 30+ pt games. KAT would give them spacing and a better flow and balance.

If Minny has a great playoff run, even gets to the Finals, would they really move a star like KAT though? On the other hand KAT is CAA and Randle left CAA in the past year
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,606

Post#160 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:15 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:OG's going to be the highest paid Knick player next year, unless they make a huge trade for a max level star.

Remarkable.

They really lucked out in the Brunson signing...

Brunson is the best value contract in the NBA.

Return to Toronto Raptors