ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Expect a lot of player movement this summer

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

islandboy53
Pro Prospect
And1: 505

Re: Woj: Expect a lot of player movement this summer 

Post#61 » by islandboy53 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:21 pm

TimeForChange wrote:Not too many teams who need to shed a $23m contract, but if a team needs to, they could just trade for Brown and waive him before his salary is guaranteed on June 28th. Draft is June 26th and 27th.

That's really the only move I see the Raptors making this summer.

You have to pick up his option to trade him.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,406

Post#62 » by TimeForChange » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:25 pm

The Raptors should offer a poison pill contract to Obi Toppin who will be a RFA.

The Pacers will probably max Pascal, and I don't think they want to be a luxury tax team, so I doubt they match any offers for Toppin.

Toppin would look nice on the Raps next season.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,406

Post#63 » by TimeForChange » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:28 pm

islandboy53 wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:Not too many teams who need to shed a $23m contract, but if a team needs to, they could just trade for Brown and waive him before his salary is guaranteed on June 28th. Draft is June 26th and 27th.

Ah, I guess the only benefit to the receiving team would be an expiring contract then, if they are looking to shed long-term salary.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,204

Post#64 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:31 pm

Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:Anyone suggesting to trade for Wiggins needs to actually watch basketball.

2022 Wiggs is nothing more than a fluke. What you see right now is what you're getting. He's 29 on the decline and simply does not care about basketball enough to improve his game. Add on to his disgusting contract anyone GM needs to be fired on the spot if they trade for him.

Anyone who thinks trading for Wiggins is actually about Wiggins needs to actually follow how roster and cap management works.

You get some future assets (Moody, a first, whatever) - and then you have the ability to later parlay Wiggins + other salaries (GTJ maybe?) if you want to make a bigger splash down the road. You also cant ignore the possibility a move revitalizes Wiggins career - he is is overpaid but he is far from a bad player. A guy who is a solid defender who is shooting 38% from 3 the last 4 years.

IQ/RJ/Wiggins/Barnes/Poeltl is far from a bad lineup to have as we transition as a franchise.

Not to mention that eventually Wiggins is an expiring, and having a $24M expiring in the current NBA client where teams need to get off money could be extremely valuable to have.

Expiring contracts don't have the same value as they did 10 years ago. He has two years excluding his player option left his deal. You have to consider he's going to take up minutes away from younger guys (Dick, Abagji) to develop. I much rather have those 25-30 minutes go to a younger player. GSW isn't giving up additional assets like moody, and a first just for a salary dump. If anything it'll be for proven players like Pascal and OG (who we don't have anymore) to help in the near term.

Not to mention guys like Wiggins don't the fit culture Masai is trying to build now.

If I'm Jontay Porter I'm taking the under on Wiggins revitalizing his career.

Except wiggins is a negative value. If they want to get rid of him they HAVE to add assets.

It’s a pipe dream to think they can get better players in return for Wiggins
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,979

Post#65 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:48 pm

DG88 wrote:Great opportunity for us to be a cap space team to take on contracts + picks. I think we try to set ourselves up from that come draft day.

The extended Olynyk. I'm not sure how they do that instead of operating over the cap.
Nebuchadnezzar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,865

Post#66 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:04 pm

TimeForChange wrote:The Raptors should offer a poison pill contract to Obi Toppin who will be a RFA.

The Pacers will probably max Pascal, and I don't think they want to be a luxury tax team, so I doubt they match any offers for Toppin.

Realgm, once again - scrubs are us. We hate our own talented players, and love your crap players.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,592

Post#67 » by Mak » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:05 pm

islandboy53 wrote:

Are you sure? Why can’t you trade him before his option date?
SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 545

Post#68 » by SpezNc » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:30 pm

Mak wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/06/nba-offseason-trade-restrictions-2.html
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,707

Post#69 » by ConSarnit » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:37 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Anyone who thinks trading for Wiggins is actually about Wiggins needs to actually follow how roster and cap management works.

You get some future assets (Moody, a first, whatever) - and then you have the ability to later parlay Wiggins + other salaries (GTJ maybe?) if you want to make a bigger splash down the road. You also cant ignore the possibility a move revitalizes Wiggins career - he is is overpaid but he is far from a bad player. A guy who is a solid defender who is shooting 38% from 3 the last 4 years.

IQ/RJ/Wiggins/Barnes/Poeltl is far from a bad lineup to have as we transition as a franchise.

Not to mention that eventually Wiggins is an expiring, and having a $24M expiring in the current NBA client where teams need to get off money could be extremely valuable to have.

Expiring contracts don't have the same value as they did 10 years ago. He has two years excluding his player option left his deal. You have to consider he's going to take up minutes away from younger guys (Dick, Abagji) to develop. I much rather have those 25-30 minutes go to a younger player. GSW isn't giving up additional assets like moody, and a first just for a salary dump. If anything it'll be for proven players like Pascal and OG (who we don't have anymore) to help in the near term.

Not to mention guys like Wiggins don't the fit culture Masai is trying to build now.

If I'm Jontay Porter I'm taking the under on Wiggins revitalizing his career.

Except wiggins is a negative value. If they want to get rid of him they HAVE to add assets.

It’s batsh*t that posters here want to take on Wiggins under the guise that he’s still good (he’s not) or he’s rehab-able. The Warriors got Wiggins to try for about 18 months and that’s playing with Curry, Draymond and being coached by Kerr. Why would Wiggins be engaged here when one of the greatest dynasties of all time could barely coax him to give effort for even a quarter of his contract. The guy doesn’t give a sh*t.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,721

Post#70 » by Ell Curry » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:07 pm

islandboy53 wrote:

Yeah, so more likely we waive Brown and let Trent go, open up cap space (like 25M with Quickley's cap hold and some rookies) and take on a Lonzo Ball, Tim Hardaway JR, Ben Simmons (have to move Boucher and McDaniels out in that move), Duncan Robinson, Levert or Kennard and get something for it (say a late first) to give some team financial wiggle room to move by one of those teams, like Cleveland shedding money to make a deal that helps them keep Mitchell, a Dallas upgrade to keep Luka from bolting or help Miami hunt a star like Paul George or whatever.
Where's the D?
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,721

Post#71 » by Ell Curry » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:18 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:Except wiggins is a negative value. If they want to get rid of him they HAVE to add assets.

Maybe like this at the draft:

Raptors: Wiggins, Payton JR, Looney, GSW 2025 1st unprotected
Warriors: Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Poeltl
Nets: Kuminga (S+T), Bruce Brown, IND 2026 1st from TOR, GSW 1st in 2027

sorta thing if we keep our own pick. I think would have to be 2 separate deals (Kuminga S+T) to work but otherwise looks doable.

Nets get younger and Brown expires along with Simmons next summer and they can go star hunting. Warriors get a Curry-Bridges-Cam-Draymond-Poeltl starting 5. We pray the Warriors give us another top 10 pick in a stacked draft and I guess draft a center to split time with Looney next year and hopefully start in year 2.

This doesn't totally work perfectly, but yeah the Warriors 2025 pick - if it's only say top 6 protected or less - is probably worth taking on Wiggins if a deal can be found.
Where's the D?
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,606

Post#72 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Kawhi is coming home.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,915

Post#73 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:41 pm

Jalen Smith is still a guy I'm hoping we sign in free agency.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,650

Post#74 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:28 pm

VanWest82 wrote:Has anyone put together a decent list of candidates that might move? It'd be nice to put some names to it.

Of those making over $15 millilion per year, I expect all of the following to be on a new team next year.

Klay Thompson
Chris Paul
Andrew Wiggins
Donovan Mitchell
Norman Powell
KAT
Jonas Valanciunas
Tobias Harris
Demar Derozan
Psubs
RealGM

Post#75 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:36 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:Jalen Smith is still a guy I'm hoping we sign in free agency.

How much would you give him where the Pacers wouldn't match? I guess they have to give Pascal $45 million.

15-15-15-15? Would $60 million over 4 years do it? Would rather have him at that then Gary Trent for more.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,204

Post#76 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:41 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Except wiggins is a negative value. If they want to get rid of him they HAVE to add assets.

Maybe like this at the draft:

Raptors: Wiggins, Payton JR, Looney, GSW 2025 1st unprotected
Warriors: Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Poeltl
Nets: Kuminga (S+T), Bruce Brown, IND 2026 1st from TOR, GSW 1st in 2027

sorta thing if we keep our own pick. I think would have to be 2 separate deals (Kuminga S+T) to work but otherwise looks doable.

Nets get younger and Brown expires along with Simmons next summer and they can go star hunting. Warriors get a Curry-Bridges-Cam-Draymond-Poeltl starting 5. We pray the Warriors give us another top 10 pick in a stacked draft and I guess draft a center to split time with Looney next year and hopefully start in year 2.

This doesn't totally work perfectly, but yeah the Warriors 2025 pick - if it's only say top 6 protected or less - is probably worth taking on Wiggins if a deal can be found.

So we net out as:

In: Wiggins / GP2 / Looney / 2025 1st
Out: Poeltl / Brown / 2026 1st

Why excatly do we do that trade..? We give up the best player, and the closest pick, and get back a negative contracts and 2 older UFAs?
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,799

Post#77 » by Lord_Zedd » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:45 pm

Mak wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

They ended this a CBA or two ago, where you can no longer trade for non-guaranteed contracts and immediately clear salary.

Contract becomes guaranteed now (or the partial amount owing, which will be used for trade purposes instead)
Psubs
RealGM

Post#78 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:49 pm

TimeForChange wrote:The Raptors should offer a poison pill contract to Obi Toppin who will be a RFA.

They should offer contracts to Obi Toppin and Jalen Smith. :D
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,915

Post#79 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:11 pm

Psubs wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:Jalen Smith is still a guy I'm hoping we sign in free agency.

How much would you give him where the Pacers wouldn't match? I guess they have to give Pascal $45 million.

15-15-15-15? Would $60 million over 4 years do it? Would rather have him at that then Gary Trent for more.

He's not an RFA and truthfully, I don't expect the Pacers to match either way. They have to make room for Isaiah Jackson and Jarace Walker.
They can spend the money to address other needs.

Their FC Depth:

PF: Siakam/Toppin/Walker
C: Turner/Jackson
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,901

Post#80 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:16 pm

Ackshun wrote:
HangTime wrote:I'd take
Wiggins
Paul
2025 FRP
option to swap our own or Indiana's 2026 FRP
Option to swap 2027 FRP

-if we don't exercise the both options, then we get a 2028 FRP.

for

Brown, McDaniels, and Boucher

Maybe Paul agrees to a buyout,
or he's our backup and/or 1 year mentor

As for Wiggins, I just think he needs a fresh start. Maybe playing at home will help.

The warriors get salary relief

I think warriors can do much better Brown/McDaniels/Boucher if they are attaching picks.

I can see Brown traded for a late first or second. The other guys, nothing.. maybe a second rounder.

Imo Poetl is our only trade chip if we are retooling once again

Yes. Why would we ever trade Brown for a late first or second? If that is even his value which pretty sure it isn't. Now if you came to me and said we are able to line up Clingan at three if that is the pick but we can also get Edey cause oh look Pacers coughed up #16 and 16 plus future pick gets us Edey from the team sitting higher at #?. Then knowing the Centre has been chosen or traded for Mavs offer PJ Washington (age 25) and #31 pick swap for Jakob. I've yet to see Masai-Bobby wheel and deal on draft night. If ever there was a time though this is it. I don't want to hear there are two allstars in this draft incumbent on them finding them and then they go all Malachi on us.

Return to Toronto Raptors