ImageImageImageImageImage

Very early draft target at #19

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Who is your very early draft target at #19

Poll ended at Wed May 1, 2024 3:25 am

Yves Missi,20.1,Big,6'11"
4%
Tristan Da Silva,23.1,Forward,6'9"
8%
Tyler Smith,19.6,Forward,6'10"
10%
Kel'el Ware,20.2,Big,7'0"
18%
Johnny Furphy,19.6,Wing,6'9"
12%
Bobi Klintman,21.3,Forward,6'10"
2%
Kyshawn George,20.5,Combo Guard,6'9 ¼"
22%
Tyler Kolek,23.3,Lead Guard,6'3"
No votes
Bub Carrington,18.9,Lead Guard,6'5"
4%
Other option, please name
22%

Total votes: 51

goinrogue
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Re: Very early draft target at #19 

Post#21 » by goinrogue » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:54 pm

italraptors wrote:
goinrogue wrote:
italraptors wrote:enough of this. just take edey at 19 and be done with it, all those guys listed will prob be a bust anyways. at least take a chance on the best college player in the last 2 years. and if hes a bust then so be it. the draft is a crap shoot anyways

Honest question. If he wasn’t from Canada, would you be this adamant about drafting him? It’s cool if the answer is yes, but if the answer is no, then I have issues with that. I know this is considered weak draft but I actually think we could get a really good player at 19. I don’t wanna use it on Edey just because he’s from Canada.

actually, i always hate the narrative of getting players just cause they're canadian. i think its so dumb. the reason why i believe in edey is because of a few things, first hes a 2 time player of the year in college, hes a 7'4 beast, hes shown he can improve on his weaknesses and the biggest thing is you can see when you hear him talk, hes got mamba blood in him, his heart is huge.
you can be the most athletic man to ever play basketball but if your heart is weak you aint gonna win ****.

That’s fair. I respect your answer. I’m not gonna lie. I don’t really believe in him as a player. I think this is actually a pretty good draft for big men and he wouldn’t be my first choice, but I’m super open to being wrong.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,645

Post#22 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:57 pm

I don't think Edey will make it to 19, so it won't matter.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,802

Post#23 » by Lord_Zedd » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:12 pm

I'm all for Edey at 19. Feels like Miami or OKC will take him and make everyone look like fools for believing the narrative that he's unplayable in the NBA
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,881

Post#24 » by Thaddy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:18 pm

italraptors wrote:enough of this. just take edey at 19 and be done with it, all those guys listed will prob be a bust anyways. at least take a chance on the best college player in the last 2 years. and if hes a bust then so be it. the draft is a crap shoot anyways

What makes him better than Luke Garza?
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,368

Post#25 » by Saul Goodman » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:31 pm

Not gonna lie I don’t know much about these guys but reading about how Ke Lel ware profiles as a stretch 5 that would be such a high upside move if it pans out
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,645

Post#26 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:46 pm

Thaddy wrote:

Luke Garza wasn't big enough to overcome his style of play. He was only 6'10 with a 7ft wingspan, which isn't huge for a traditional drop big. He could dominate at that size against college kids, but he was only average sized for his position in the NBA.

Edey is 7'4 with a 8ft wingspan which gives him as size advantage over everyone.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,518

Post#27 » by S.W.A.N » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:03 pm

Thaddy wrote:
S.W.A.N wrote:Smith, but I don't hate anyone on that list.

I don't buy Olynyk being a productive 5. He seems like he'd be a lot better with a rim protector next to him. That would be tough to fit Smith into. Then there's the Nwora factor. Smith is an inch taller but carries the same weaknesses as Nwora.

I don't think anyone in this draft is likely to be a day one rotation player so Kelly not being a true 5 (totally true) is not relevant.

As for Nwora, it more like three inches. And the scouting reports I've read don't put him into the same pylon category, but I definitely see the offense first comparison. But a Nwora who doesn't suck at defense is a lottery pick.

I see Smith as a true 4 with range, who has decent blocks and steals, which indicates an inclination to play defense. My concern would be his rebounding rate isn't what I'd like to see from a 6'11 ish player.
We the North
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,518

Post#28 » by S.W.A.N » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:06 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Thaddy wrote:

Luke Garza wasn't big enough to overcome his style of play. He was only 6'10 with a 7ft wingspan, which isn't huge for a traditional drop big. He could dominate at that size against college kids, but he was only average sized for his position in the NBA.

Edey is 7'4 with a 8ft wingspan which gives him as size advantage over everyone.

Problem is Edey doesn't look like a guy who fits the system. He tends to be slow passing out of double teams and generally slow. I'd take him in second round but there plenty of guys who fit what we trying to become. Edey looks like a high floor low ceiling player which is fine but there looks like there plenty of other players with Starter potential.
We the North
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#29 » by MEDIC » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:27 pm

goinrogue wrote:

Honest question. If he wasn’t from Canada, would you be this adamant about drafting him? It’s cool if the answer is yes, but if the answer is no, then I have issues with that. I know this is considered weak draft but I actually think we could get a really good player at 19. I don’t wanna use it on Edey just because he’s from Canada.

He's 7'4" and one of the most decorated NCAA players of.all time. Its not really a stretch to take a player like that at 19. Especially considering the Raps need a young C.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 208

Post#30 » by RoteSchroder » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:41 pm

SpezNc wrote:
Thaddy wrote:Kyshawn George is a better and younger Delano Banton. No doubt he fits the typical prototype we look for. I don't think he'll be available at this pick but Furphy would be a good second option.

Indeed he has a profile that easily could go sooner than current ranking. But should he be drafted prior to #19 this could mean that one of current top18 might have dropped to #19.

I don’t dislike Kyshawn George as legit option for #19 although I would need to gather more information .

Kyshawn is a good shooter, but everything else about him is either average or sucks. He’s a pretty bad player at the moment with zero explosiveness.

With lots of development, we may be able to get him to Nwora level in a few years (less speed, better passing).
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer
And1: 227

Post#31 » by dohboy_24 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:54 pm

If still on the board at #19, I'd take any of the following (in order of preference):

G - Ja'Kobe Walter (4), Jared McCain (6), Devin Carter (8), Isaiah Collier
F - Tidjane Salaun (2), Trentyn Flowers (3), Kyshawn George (5), Johnny Furphy, Tyler Smith
C - Kyle Filipowski (1), Kel'el Ware (7), Yves Missi
======
Raptors Tank Nation Member #11031995

DRAFT BOARD:
G: Castle, Pate, Walter, Collier, George, McCain, Carrington, Alexander
F: Buzelis, Holland, Risacher, Salaun, Flowers, Chomche, Evans Jr.
C: Clingan, Filipowski, Ware, Holmes II, Onyenso
SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 547

Post#32 » by SpezNc » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:12 am

dohboy_24 wrote:If still on the board at #19, I'd take any of the following (in order of preference):

G - Ja'Kobe Walter (4), Jared McCain (6), Devin Carter (8), Isaiah Collier
F - Tidjane Salaun (2), Trentyn Flowers (3), Kyshawn George (5), Johnny Furphy, Tyler Smith
C - Kyle Filipowski (1), Kel'el Ware (7), Yves Missi

Trentyn Flowers ? I am not familiar.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,307

Post#33 » by Parataxis » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:25 pm

Lord_Zedd wrote:I'm all for Edey at 19. Feels like Miami or OKC will take him and make everyone look like fools for believing the narrative that he's unplayable in the NBA

Edey feels like the most explored mystery box there is. Some people are saying there's no chance he'll be available at 19. Others are saying we should get him with Detroit's SRP.

He's a beast; the only question is if he'll be able to adapt to the NBA
dohboy_24
Bench Warmer
And1: 227

Post#34 » by dohboy_24 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:53 pm

SpezNc wrote:
Trentyn Flowers ? I am not familiar.

TRENTYN FLOWERS, 6'8", 200 lbs, F

A high flyer who excels at getting to the basket, getting out in transition and attacking the offensive glass.

Has nice athleticism, a sturdy frame with good strength, is very fluid on the court. Has a nice first step.

Can handle the ball in the open court but needs to keep tightening up his handles to be more effective in the half court.

Does most of his damage around the basket but has the makings of a 3pt shot.

Can guard multiple positions and shows a lot of potential on that end of the court.

SCOUTING REPORTS:

https://edemirnba.substack.com/p/trentyn-flowers-scouting-report
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-nbls-trentyn-flowers
https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/2024-nba-draft-prospect-profile-trentyn-flowers
https://www.on3.com/db/trentyn-flowers-150325/scouting/
https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/trentyn-flowers-rising-above-down
======
Raptors Tank Nation Member #11031995

DRAFT BOARD:
G: Castle, Pate, Walter, Collier, George, McCain, Carrington, Alexander
F: Buzelis, Holland, Risacher, Salaun, Flowers, Chomche, Evans Jr.
C: Clingan, Filipowski, Ware, Holmes II, Onyenso
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 794

Post#35 » by disoblige » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:03 pm

We won’t pick Edey. Our coach wants a passing big man around the 3pt area or high post to pull out their Center. He wants a 5 PG squad. We are building base on his ideas not the best player available.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,272

Post#36 » by Raptorfan2012 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:16 pm

disoblige wrote:We won’t pick Edey. Our coach wants a passing big man around the 3pt area or high post to pull out their Center. He wants a 5 PG squad. We are building base on his ideas not the best player available.

Edey was actually a pretty good passing big averaging 2 assists a game. Sets solid screens and knows when to pass the ball out. I agree he doesn't really fit this team as-is, but he would be okay if we can add more shooters and if Barnes can hit a couple of 3s.
dkb964
Junior
And1: 182

Post#37 » by dkb964 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:06 pm

Did the coin toss already happen? I thought that the Raptors still could pick as high as 16.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,130

Post#38 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:56 pm

dkb964 wrote:Did the coin toss already happen?

Yes, last Monday

I thought that the Raptors still could pick as high as 16.

:nonono: :banghead:
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,084

Post#39 » by mihaic » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:56 pm

Thaddy wrote:

A Few inches make a difference, ask your gf

Sorry I couldn't resist
onions17
Starter
And1: 638

Post#40 » by onions17 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:31 pm

Thaddy wrote:
S.W.A.N wrote:Smith, but I don't hate anyone on that list.

I don't buy Olynyk being a productive 5. He seems like he'd be a lot better with a rim protector next to him. That would be tough to fit Smith into. Then there's the Nwora factor. Smith is an inch taller but carries the same weaknesses as Nwora.

Kelly Olynyk and Jordan Nwora should have absolutely no impact on who we draft...
Q00 wrote:When scoring over 100 pts and giving up under 100 pts, they are 11-0

Clearly defense is the difference between winning and losing for this team.

Return to Toronto Raptors