ImageImageImageImageImage

Amazon Prime Acquires NBA Broadcast Package

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,011

Re: Amazon Prime Acquires NBA Broadcast Package 

Post#21 » by kalel123 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:13 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
disoblige wrote:Amazon prime has a streaming service? I know they have AWS(cloud service).

Yup. The also just got Monday night hockey games.

I use to work for SN Now and I've following Amazon Prime Live streaming hiring, they've done a ton of hiring the last couple of years for live streaming. I wanted to work there :lol: They're primed to take over a lot of rights in the coming years.

Amazon Prime been coming with Streaming for a long time now. Rarely watch Amazon Prime so no idea if Live Streaming is already a thing or if it comes as included or at extra cost. Hope not.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,942

Post#22 » by Zeno » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:15 pm

This might be big for the Raptors in that our eyeballs will suddenly mean something to a media partner
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,781

Post#23 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:22 pm

Zeno wrote:This might be big for the Raptors in that our eyeballs will suddenly mean something to a media partner

Hopefully but I doubt it

2 media corporations are majority owner. They are here for the content.
Zeno
RealGM

Post#24 » by Zeno » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:27 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Zeno wrote:This might be big for the Raptors in that our eyeballs will suddenly mean something to a media partner

Hopefully but I doubt it

So just blackouts here on all Raptor games on Amazon prime, then? I wonder how this works for other teams that have strong local tv contracts like the Knicks and Lakers.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,781

Post#25 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:29 pm

Zeno wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Hopefully but I doubt it

So just blackouts here on all Raptor games on Amazon prime, then? I wonder how this works for other teams that have strong local tv contracts like the Knicks and Lakers.

I don’t know the logistics

I just can’t see regular season games not being exclusively on TSN/SN in Canada

But whatever they do, nothing a good vpn can’t fix lol
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,333

Post#26 » by douggood » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:39 pm

Zeno wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Hopefully but I doubt it

this isnt nba league pass, they wont have all 82x30 games of a team

this is replacing for example "thursday night on tnt"
this year NBA had apx 250 national tv games, out of that about 100 is nba tv, rest was espn/abc/tnt

so as reported out of the 150ish national tv games(not counting nbatv), disney is reducing its number from 100 to about 80, rest will go to amazon (plus maybe a 3rd partner nbc or warner bros(tnt))

forsee something like thursday on amazon, sunday on NBC and then Tuesday/friday etc on espn/abc
Zeno
RealGM

Post#27 » by Zeno » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:44 pm

douggood wrote:
Zeno wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Hopefully but I doubt it

this isnt nba league pass, they wont have all 82x30 games of a team

this is replacing for example "thursday night on tnt"
this year NBA had apx 250 national tv games, out of that about 100 is nba tv, rest was espn/abc/tnt

so as reported out of the 150ish national tv games(not counting nbatv), disney is reducing its number from 100 to about 80, rest will go to amazon (plus maybe a 3rd partner nbc or warner bros(tnt))

forsee something like thursday on amazon, sunday on NBC and then Tuesday/friday etc on espn/abc

So then in theory it should mean just as much to Amazon to get Canadian subscribers as American ones, wouldn’t you think?

Please advise….

Dan G.
GP2
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,550

Post#28 » by GP2 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:53 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
GP2 wrote:I feel like Silver's reign will be viewed poorly in hindsight.

What is the criteria? Gambling? Morals?

Financially, I don’t think players or owners view him poorly at all.

Yeah, probably leaning in that direction. The gambling normalization is poison, but maybe that's me overreacting. I also think he's spent too much effort being chummy. I'm not an old head, but the product isn't in a great place imo. At least not until defense is brought back.

Again, maybe I'm overreacting, but the in-season tournament is just another example. I think it's an absolute joke looking back, but I guess the ratings were fine.

Again, it's not obvious, but I think it might be like a death by a thousand cuts. He's fine, and he's had to deal with some **** out-of-left field situations, so I give him a lot of credit for that.

Perhaps my original comment was too harsh. I think I'm just disenchanted with the NBA these days.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,908

Post#29 » by Duffman100 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:09 pm

kalel123 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
disoblige wrote:Amazon prime has a streaming service? I know they have AWS(cloud service).

Yup. The also just got Monday night hockey games.

I use to work for SN Now and I've following Amazon Prime Live streaming hiring, they've done a ton of hiring the last couple of years for live streaming. I wanted to work there :lol: They're primed to take over a lot of rights in the coming years.

Amazon Prime been coming with Streaming for a long time now. Rarely watch Amazon Prime so no idea if Live Streaming is already a thing or if it comes as included or at extra cost. Hope not.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve been building the infrastructure behind the scenes so they’re fully ready when they get the rights.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,033

Post#30 » by Potential » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:29 pm

All I care about is hearing the TNT theme song followed by Kevin Harlan on a weekly basis
Mr Funk
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,653

Post#31 » by Mr Funk » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:38 pm

So in order to watch some regular season games, people will need to pay for Amazon Prime?

Lame. And yeah, Silver hasn't been great either and players getting richer isn't an accomplishment. Gambling commercials, spreads and other sleazy crap constantly in your face, commercials in between free throws, no defence and easy fouls for stars, ridiculous scores and endless offence, completely irrelevant All-Star games, wearing road uniforms at home and weird ass alternate jerseys, horrendous officiating et al.
Jtoneller1
Junior
And1: 183

Post#32 » by Jtoneller1 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:41 am

So, I used to subscribe to Sportnet Now and stream it to my TV via Chromecast and the viewing experience was terrible. Recently, I have been able to subscribe to it through Prime and the quality is significantly higher.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,844

Post#33 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:47 am

As long as TSN and RSN still carry games up here, that's what I care about
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,606

Post#34 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:28 pm

This is good news for fans. The only annoying thing is other streamers like Google/Apple will also get rights. You’ll still need to have a mix of streaming/cable services to watch all the games. I’m hoping one day the streamers buy up the rights and offer the games for free (they can then monetize your data by selling it to advertisers). I’m sure this is where their heads are at but it’s probably not financially viable at this point.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,606

Post#35 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:31 pm

Mr Funk wrote:So in order to watch some regular season games, people will need to pay for Amazon Prime?

Lame. And yeah, Silver hasn't been great either and players getting richer isn't an accomplishment. Gambling commercials, spreads and other sleazy crap constantly in your face, commercials in between free throws, no defence and easy fouls for stars, ridiculous scores and endless offence, completely irrelevant All-Star games, wearing road uniforms at home and weird ass alternate jerseys, horrendous officiating et al.

No, Amazon has acquired the rights to some games. Espn, tnt, abc, local broadcast channels, and likely more streamers will also show games. Plus we’ll still have NBA league pass. Basically Amazon and the streamers will be competing with ESPN/TNT/ABC for national games. Fans can still get league pass for national coverage and will still need to rely on local broadcasts for their home teams.

The advantage to fans for getting Amazon or other streaming services is those companies include other shows/movies and in Amazon’s case, free music and free shipping. Obviously NBA league pass only shows you basketball games.

More choice and access is good for fans. The downside is we’ll continue to need multiple services to watch all the games we want.
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,299

Post#36 » by ciueli » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:05 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
Mr Funk wrote:So in order to watch some regular season games, people will need to pay for Amazon Prime?

No, Amazon has acquired the rights to some games. Espn, tnt, abc, local broadcast channels, and likely more streamers will also show games. Plus we’ll still have NBA league pass. Basically Amazon and the streamers will be competing with ESPN/TNT/ABC for national games. Fans can still get league pass for national coverage and will still need to rely on local broadcasts for their home teams.

The advantage to fans for getting Amazon or other streaming services is those companies include other shows/movies and in Amazon’s case, free music and free shipping. Obviously NBA league pass only shows you basketball games.

More choice and access is good for fans. The downside is we’ll continue to need multiple services to watch all the games we want.

The problem is that if you're someone who is paying for cable, you're getting screwed because suddenly you won't get all the games on your cable package anymore, you'll have to buy a separate service to see every game. So saying "continue to need multiple services" is inaccurate, because right now just having a reasonable cable package gets you every Raptors game and every NBA playoff game, that won't be the case in the future.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,084

Post#37 » by mihaic » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:13 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:

Just wait till.you gave to pay Apple, netflix, amazon, and dazn to see raptors games let alone the playoffs . Streaming is great!

Apple TV already caused me to not watch mls soccer.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,175

Post#38 » by MiamiSPX » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:23 pm

GP2 wrote:Again, maybe I'm overreacting, but the in-season tournament is just another example. I think it's an absolute joke looking back, but I guess the ratings were fine.

I wasn't a fan of it either because the schedule was disjointed, with some teams having played 4 IST games before some teams had even played 2.

Not a fan of the play-in either. Like our poster Johnny Bball said in another thread, the players had to play extra games to confirm what the previous 82 games had already told us. Everyone stayed where they were this year, and you had guys like Jimmy Butler get injured in the process.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,738

Post#39 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:24 pm

I don't care how they wrap it, put a bow on it...whatever. I'll keep my money thanks.
6ixpessant
Senior
And1: 454

Post#40 » by 6ixpessant » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 pm

All these companies can get bent.... IPTV for life.

Return to Toronto Raptors