ImageImageImageImageImage

Amazon Prime Acquires NBA Broadcast Package

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,571

Amazon Prime Acquires NBA Broadcast Package 

Post#1 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:42 pm

Read on Twitter

In what will be a landmark move in sports media history, the NBA and Amazon Prime Video have the framework of a deal that will make the streaming service one of the main homes for the league games, executives with direct knowledge of the talks told The Athletic.

It is expected that Prime Video’s package will include significant regular season and postseason games, perhaps even some conference finals. The anticipation is that the final contract will be for at least a decade and begin the 2025-2026 season.

ESPN/ABC, as the website Puck reported Thursday, also has a framework of a deal with the expectations that an agreement will be completed. ESPN/ABC are expected to keep the Finals on its networks for the duration of its deals. Like Amazon, ESPN’s new contract is also expected to be at least a decade in length.

All of the details are not finalized yet, but all sides are under the expectations they will get done. The NBA, Amazon and ESPN all declined to comment.

The NBA prefers to have three companies involved in its new deals, but has not ruled out adding a fourth.

The NBA is finishing up nine-year deals that pay it $2.6 billion on average from ESPN and TNT Sports. Those contracts end after the 2024-2025 season.

The advancement in the Amazon and ESPN talks leaves incumbent Warner Bros. Discovery, whose network TNT Sports, to face off with NBC, owned by Comcast, for the likely last package of games. Warner Bros. Discovery has the right to match deals, but NBC could try to structure an agreement in a way that makes it difficult.

While there is still work to be completed for the final arrangements, the current packages are going to be pruned slightly to create the third partner. In one arrangement, ESPN will cut down from around 100 games to around 80, according to executives briefed on the talks.

A natural landing spot for Amazon’s regular-season games could be Thursday night, where it already has the NFL from September to early January. The NBA, in recent years, has moved its games off Thursday during the time period to not go head-to-head with the NFL. It is expected to then have significant playoff inventory. Amazon has shown interest in global rights, which has been a key part of the NBA’s negotiating strategy as it lined all of its domestic and international deals to end following the 2024-2025 season
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,011

Re: Amazon Prime Acquires NBA Broadcast Package 

Post#2 » by kalel123 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:07 pm

Would this have any implication for Amazon Prime in Canada or is this US only deal?
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,333

Post#3 » by douggood » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:09 pm

kalel123 wrote:Would this have any implication for Amazon Prime in Canada or is this US only deal?

"Amazon has shown interest in global rights, which has been a key part of the NBA’s negotiating strategy as it lined all of its domestic and international deals to end following the 2024-2025 season"
GP2
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,550

Post#4 » by GP2 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:10 pm

I feel like Silver's reign will be viewed poorly in hindsight.
douggood
General Manager

Post#5 » by douggood » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:13 pm

GP2 wrote:I feel like Silver's reign will be viewed poorly in hindsight.

outside of him maybe too friendly towards the player, he has been great toward the growth of basketball (play in tournament, rules to allow more offense etc) and especially for the business side.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,593

Post#6 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:13 pm

Yeah right, he's done so much good

In Raptor Ball I Trust
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,180

Post#7 » by MiamiSPX » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:16 pm

I think the players would disagree, given how much they are getting paid these days. Nobody flinches at a 9-figure deal for their 4th starter. I mean, even with Jaylen Brown the consensus was "yeah, Boston had to do it" and that was 300M lol.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 794

Post#8 » by disoblige » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:17 pm

Amazon prime has a streaming service? I know they have AWS(cloud service).
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,530

Post#9 » by Brinbe » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:20 pm

Amazon making huge bets on sports with this and the NHL news earlier this week.

The league probably getting a huge bag out of this that will go to the players.

Now to see if NBC and/or WBD get involved too.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,367

Post#10 » by Scase » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:21 pm

How so? Prime video right now without ads, costs 3$/mo. If he finds a way for me to be able to watch the NBA in very good quality, and I don't have to pay Rogers 50-100$/mo for **** TV services and a bunch of crap I don't want, who tf am I to complain.

You can dunk on him for a lot of stuff, I don't understand how this is one of them.
Props TZ!
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#11 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:23 pm

Scase wrote:

How so? Prime video right now without ads, costs 3$/mo. If he finds a way for me to be able to watch the NBA in very good quality, and I don't have to pay Rogers 50-100$/mo for **** TV services and a bunch of crap I don't want, who tf am I to complain.

You can dunk on him for a lot of stuff, I don't understand how this is one of them.

Also means ESPN is dropping from 100 to 80 which is great IMO. I expect Amazon to have a pretty good production too
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,914

Post#12 » by Duffman100 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:26 pm

disoblige wrote:Amazon prime has a streaming service? I know they have AWS(cloud service).

Yup. The also just got Monday night hockey games.

I use to work for SN Now and I've following Amazon Prime Live streaming hiring, they've done a ton of hiring the last couple of years for live streaming. I wanted to work there :lol: They're primed to take over a lot of rights in the coming years.
MiamiSPX
Analyst

Post#13 » by MiamiSPX » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:27 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Scase wrote:

Also means ESPN is dropping from 100 to 80 which is great IMO. I expect Amazon to have a pretty good production too

Their Thursday night NFL broadcast was superb IMO. The on-air studio personalities need some work (or to be replaced), but I mean the actual production was incredible. Only about a million times better than anything Rogers Sportsnet does, who has been doing it for decades lol.
Scase
RealGM

Post#14 » by Scase » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:30 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Scase wrote:How so? Prime video right now without ads, costs 3$/mo. If he finds a way for me to be able to watch the NBA in very good quality, and I don't have to pay Rogers 50-100$/mo for **** TV services and a bunch of crap I don't want, who tf am I to complain.

Their Thursday night NFL broadcast was superb IMO. The on-air studio personalities need some work (or to be replaced), but I mean the actual production was incredible. Only about a million times better than anything Rogers Sportsnet does, who has been doing it for decades lol.

And this is my hope. What's the cost on it, or is it just part of prime?
Props TZ!
MiamiSPX
Analyst

Post#15 » by MiamiSPX » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:33 pm

Scase wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Sounds like it will just be part of Prime, from the way I am reading it.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#16 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:38 pm

Scase wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:

Just need to be a prime member
Scase
RealGM

Post#17 » by Scase » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:47 pm

Well got dayum, I'll take it.
Props TZ!
douggood
General Manager

Post#18 » by douggood » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 pm

Scase wrote:

this isnt league pass, this is just national tv deals. 2-3 games a week. and unless raptors become good again you wont be getting raptors on prime national tv games.

regional sports network are still going to be a thing.
Scase
RealGM

Post#19 » by Scase » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:55 pm

douggood wrote:
Scase wrote:

this isnt league pass, this is just national tv deals. 2-3 games a week. and unless raptors become good again you wont be getting raptors on prime national tv games.

regional sports network are still going to be a thing.

Well, maybe in a few years I'll be able to see some playoff games on a competent platform :lol:
Props TZ!
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,786

Post#20 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:07 pm

What is the criteria? Gambling? Morals?

Financially, I don’t think players or owners view him poorly at all.

Return to Toronto Raptors