ImageImageImageImageImage

How big of a gap is there between the Raptors and Magic?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,498

Re: How big of a gap is there between the Raptors and Magic? 

Post#61 » by Scase » Fri May 3, 2024 2:05 am

C_Money wrote:They have a ton of depth. In terms of their starting lineup I don’t think they’re anything special and will probably get bounced to a Cleveland team that also isn’t very good.

Thats the raps, minus the depth. They managed the 2nd best defence in the NBA, we likely wont be able to muster a top 10 anything.

They aren't a contender and unlikely ever to be, but it's easier to build off the 2nd best defence, than not.
Props TZ!
Pericles
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#62 » by Pericles » Fri May 3, 2024 2:06 am

We’re not that far.

I take RJ over Franz
I take Quickley over all 3 guards
I take Barnes over Banchero

…as others have pointed out their depth is great and
we have room to grow in thar area. That’s why I think we should use (hopefully) all 3 picks to find rookie contract
players who can contribute. And though I take our guys, it’s real close and they are certainly a team on the rise.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,716

Post#63 » by C_Money » Fri May 3, 2024 2:11 am

Scase wrote:
C_Money wrote:They have a ton of depth. In terms of their starting lineup I don’t think they’re anything special and will probably get bounced to a Cleveland team that also isn’t very good.

Thats the raps, minus the depth. They managed the 2nd best defence in the NBA, we likely wont be able to muster a top 10 anything.

They aren't a contender and unlikely ever to be, but it's easier to build off the 2nd best defence, than not.

At the same time it wouldn’t surprise me if they were to miss the playoffs entirely next year. We shouldn’t be trying to be like them.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,955

Post#64 » by Los_29 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:16 am

Scase wrote:

So now you don’t think they are a contender or even a future contender? Very different to what you were saying a month ago.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,498

Post#65 » by Scase » Fri May 3, 2024 2:18 am

C_Money wrote:
Scase wrote:

At the same time it wouldn’t surprise me if they were to miss the playoffs entirely next year. We shouldn’t be trying to be like them.

We shouldn't but as of right now we're trying to be a worse version of them lol.
Props TZ!
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 9,014

Post#66 » by MEDIC » Fri May 3, 2024 2:19 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
MEDIC wrote:
ciueli wrote:]Not true. Before the OG trade the Raptors were middle of the pack, 16th-17th in defensive efficiency, in fact they were 8th at the end of November. And in 2022-2023 the team finished 12th in Defensive Efficiency, that's miles away from 26th in Defensive Efficiency they finished with this year, it's hard to argue the team didn't get worse on defence by making those trades.

So this team was worse defensively under Darko than they were under Nurse.

A team with Schroder, OG, Barnes, Siakam & Poeltl should not be middle of the pack defensively. They should bare minimum top 10 or they are underacheiving on that side of the court.

OG and Siaakam dogged it here for half a season defensively. OG in NYK is not the OG we had here for the first half season. Siakam to how he is defending in the POs is not close to what we saw all year.

I agree rhat rhey dogged it. I guess rhe question is could Nurse or another coach like Thibs have gotten more out of them.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,223

Post#67 » by MoneyBall » Fri May 3, 2024 2:37 am

Reeko wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:
Reeko wrote:How is he a stretch big when he didn't even shoot 30% from 3?

Wemby shot under 30% from 3.

And he shot 32.5% from 3 this season. What's your point?

Wemby was correctly projected as a stretch big despite his poor 3pt shooting percentages.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,222

Post#68 » by Reeko » Fri May 3, 2024 2:51 am

MoneyBall wrote:
Reeko wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:Wemby shot under 30% from 3.

And he shot 32.5% from 3 this season. What's your point?

Wemby was correctly projected as a stretch big despite his poor 3pt shooting percentages.

When he can hit over 35% from 3 consistently, I'll consider him a stretch big. Right now he is still most effective from the midrange and at the rim. Same goes for Sarr right now.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 1,972

Post#69 » by wegotthabeet » Fri May 3, 2024 2:53 am

MEDIC wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
MEDIC wrote:

A team with Schroder, OG, Barnes, Siakam & Poeltl should not be middle of the pack defensively. They should bare minimum top 10 or they are underacheiving on that side of the court.

OG and Siaakam dogged it here for half a season defensively. OG in NYK is not the OG we had here for the first half season. Siakam to how he is defending in the POs is not close to what we saw all year.

I agree rhat rhey dogged it. I guess rhe question is could Nurse or another coach like Thibs have gotten more out of them.

No. Both already had a foot out the door.
MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,223

Post#70 » by MoneyBall » Fri May 3, 2024 3:03 am

Reeko wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:
Reeko wrote:And he shot 32.5% from 3 this season. What's your point?

When he can hit over 35% from 3 consistently, I'll consider him a stretch big. Right now he is still most effective from the midrange and at the rim. Same goes for Sarr right now.

That's an odd way of viewing a young prospect's offensive arsenal.

Wemby made 5 threes in three games this season. He's not ubber effecient yet because he's a rookie, but he's clearly got the 3 in his game.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,299

Post#71 » by ItsDanger » Sun May 5, 2024 6:09 pm

Orlando looking like they will advance to next round. Even if they don't, it's still relevant. There is a clear gap between the teams. Magic have better depth, a clear go to #1 option, better defenders, plus flexibility to quickly improve based on assets/contracts. Focusing on acquiring young talent must be priority #1 for Raps, not quick fixes.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,306

Post#72 » by Tor_Raps » Sun May 5, 2024 6:14 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Orlando looking like they will advance to next round. Even if they don't, it's still relevant. There is a clear gap between the teams. Magic have better depth, a clear go to #1 option, better defenders, plus flexibility to quickly improve based on assets/contracts. Focusing on acquiring young talent must be priority #1 for Raps, not quick fixes.

Ya the comparison was ridiculous. People get fixated on looking at box scores and think our guys can match their offensive numbers while neglecting the entire defensive end of the court lol.

Not only are they much better than us at the moment, they also have more cap space THIS OFFSEASON and CONTROL of their all their 1st round picks. Like how do you even compare the two loll.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,803

Post#73 » by Pointgod » Sun May 5, 2024 6:19 pm

The Magic are about to head into the second round while we have the 6th pick in the lottery. Yeah there’s quite the gap and the Magic haven’t really done anything in free agency either.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#74 » by Tor_Raps » Sun May 5, 2024 6:21 pm

Pointgod wrote:The Magic are about to head into the second round while we have the 6th pick in the lottery. Yeah there’s quite the gap and the Magic haven’t really done anything in free agency either.

Correction, we are hoping to KEEP the 6th pick in the lottery. Percentages say we are more likely to lose our pick than keep after the lottery lol
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,267

Post#75 » by Chandan » Sun May 5, 2024 6:32 pm

The gap seems to be weltman
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,709

Post#76 » by Clay Davis » Sun May 5, 2024 6:33 pm

Reeko wrote:
MoneyBall wrote:
Reeko wrote:And he shot 32.5% from 3 this season. What's your point?

My dog's name is "Rico". He is a high rizz animal and my best friend.

I think the main difference between us and Orlando is that Banchero is just a different sort of player than Scottie. Right now in game 7 against the Cavs, dude has 24/8/2 + 2 steals... and it's halftime. I haven't watched much of him but I wonder if his path to superstardom could be smoother than Scottie's...
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,071

Post#77 » by Indeed » Sun May 5, 2024 7:07 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
MEDIC wrote:
ciueli wrote:]Not true. Before the OG trade the Raptors were middle of the pack, 16th-17th in defensive efficiency, in fact they were 8th at the end of November. And in 2022-2023 the team finished 12th in Defensive Efficiency, that's miles away from 26th in Defensive Efficiency they finished with this year, it's hard to argue the team didn't get worse on defence by making those trades.

We were never a good defensive team. OG and Poeltl under Nurse was around 8th defensive rating. With only either one is at best 15th. While Siakam is average.

I dont think our bad defnese has much to do with OG and Siakam, but our current roster.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,803

Post#78 » by Pointgod » Sun May 5, 2024 7:40 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Pointgod wrote:The Magic are about to head into the second round while we have the 6th pick in the lottery. Yeah there’s quite the gap and the Magic haven’t really done anything in free agency either.

Correction, we are hoping to KEEP the 6th pick in the lottery. Percentages say we are more likely to lose our pick than keep after the lottery lol

I thought it’s 50-50 to keep the pick? Basically if any team behind us jumps into the top 4 and we don’t the pick is gone. What am I missing?
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,567

Post#79 » by Brinbe » Sun May 5, 2024 7:53 pm

about the same. both teams with one legit star and in need of another
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#80 » by Tor_Raps » Sun May 5, 2024 7:56 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

I thought it’s 50-50 to keep the pick? Basically if any team behind us jumps into the top 4 and we don’t the pick is gone. What am I missing?

It's like 54% we don't keep the pick and 46% chance we keep the pick.

Return to Toronto Raptors