ImageImageImageImageImage

Who's the better duo?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Which duo is better

Poll ended at Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:55 pm

Chris Paul and David West
66%
Chris Bosh and Jose Calderon
34%

Total votes: 68

Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,344

Post#21 » by Shaazzam » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:25 pm

TdotO wrote:
seeing as how that was quoted in today's papers it's safe to say we didn't ask that of him until recently

That's a pretty large assumption on your part.

Moving on, how many times have you seen Jose get by his man without the use of a screen?

Now I am the first to grant that he is excellent at using them, but the dude is not exactly a break-you-down-at-the-point-of-attack PG, like you seemed to be stating earlier.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
bychai
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: forward, not backward. upward not forward. and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Post#22 » by bychai » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:27 pm

Shaazzam wrote:Moving on, how many times have you seen Jose get by his man without the use of a screen?

Now I am the first to grant that he is excellent at using them, but the dude is not exactly a break-you-down-at-the-point-of-attack PG, like you seemed to be stating earlier.

Jose should take notes from Deron :lol:
shoutout to Slam Dumb! for ignoring my email!
TdotO
Rookie
And1: 5

Post#23 » by TdotO » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:33 pm

Shaazzam wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

as I stated earlier: He can breakdown and turn the corner on practically EVERY player in this league.

so in that case let me attempt at clarifying it, by breaking down AND turning the corner implies he's using the screen off a nifty little crossover AND turns the corner....better?
La princesa
Junior

Post#24 » by La princesa » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:41 pm

CP3 and D west for sure . :)
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Shaazzam » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:50 pm

TdotO wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

as I stated earlier: He can breakdown and turn the corner on practically EVERY player in this league.

so in that case let me attempt at clarifying it, by breaking down AND turning the corner implies he's using the screen off a nifty little crossover AND turns the corner....better?

Cool, I don't want to get all pedantic-semantic on ya.

I'm just not super-duper excited about the fact that he has to have a screen to be able to spring himself and get to the rim. I love how he can use it successfully, but he has a difficult time probing into defences on his own, and for our PG dominated system, I think the lead guard needs to be more dynamic.

Now by implementing sets with more movement in them, this will aid Jose and make the offence not as stagnant, and creates more seams for him to attack. So hopefully, we can modify the system to maximise what we can get out of Jose.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,181

Post#26 » by xAIRNESSx » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:51 pm

Imagine a Chris Paul/Chris Bosh combo?

:droop:
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Shaazzam » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:53 pm

I have gone off topic here.

Hmmm, I haven't seen CP3 play a tonne so I have a couple questions about him.

I know he gets a basketful of steals, but is he an effective lead defender? Or is he a passing lane demon?

Can he control his man defensively?
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
AB_21
Analyst
And1: 23

Post#28 » by AB_21 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:56 pm

xAIRNESSx wrote:Imagine a Chris Paul/Chris Bosh combo?

:droop:

Well, apparently there was a trade sent to the Raptors that was #7 and #16 for the Chris Paul pick. So it's not far off.

Paul and Bosh=championship.
Darrick Martin
Starter

Post#29 » by Darrick Martin » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:57 pm

Without hesitation, Chris Paul and David West.
“On paper, in terms of just pure talent, I would say, yes, this is the best team we’ve had,” - Bryan Colangelo (Sep 29, 2008)
Darrick Martin
Starter

Post#30 » by Darrick Martin » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:00 pm

AB_21 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Paul and Bosh=championship.

Parker and Duncan will always be > than that duo.
“On paper, in terms of just pure talent, I would say, yes, this is the best team we’ve had,” - Bryan Colangelo (Sep 29, 2008)
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,288

Post#31 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:01 pm

CP can breakdown players... EVERY player, multiple players, and whole damn teams. He rules Calderon in every important stat... Oh and his team is doing very well in the NBA's toughest division. And furthermore... uh... jeez, I completely forgot what your inane argument was - in any case there should be enough counterpoints listed so far.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,288

Post#32 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:01 pm

*double post*
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#33 » by ponder276 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:04 pm

To each their own, cause I would argue that the reason we don't see Calderon doing the same things that CP is doing is that it is not what WE ask him to do nor NEED him to do. He can breakdown and turn the corner on practically EVERY player in this league, yet he CHOOSES not to as that is NOT what we need from him.

Bosh is a more polished player in every sense of the word...he can post up, drive, shoot the three (if needed), and FT % through the roof, he passes when needed, and get's to the line at an astonishing rate.

West from what I see does a lot of similar things to Bosh except he shoots more threes, and from what they do Bosh is better at it!

EDIT: and for the record I didn't say that Bosh was a polished version of West, I said that Bosh is a more polished player than West

Calderon can "breakdown and turn the corner on basically every player in the league, yet chooses not to"? Hahahahahahah
Bosh does not shoot the 3. He has made 21 3s over his career (322 games), and is a .288 career 3 shooter. West is a career 48.6/35.7/80.7, whereas Bosh is a career 48.1/28.8/78.3 shooter (both are in their 5th season, though Bosh is a fair bit younger) - West has higher percentages for every type of shot, so I'm not sure where you're getting this "more polished" thing from.
Also, Bosh can post up? Since when? David West is a better post player than Bosh, Bosh likes to face up and either drive or shoot a jumper.
I'm not saying West is the better player - Bosh is youger, better at getting to the line, better one on one, and a better leader. But West is better at certain things, and they are very different players.
deknow
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#34 » by deknow » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:12 pm

Not even a question. The gap between Paul and Jose makes this a landslide. Bosh and West are much close than many would have you believe.
TdotO
Rookie

Post#35 » by TdotO » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:13 pm

Shaazzam wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Now by implementing sets with more movement in them, this will aid Jose and make the offence not as stagnant, and creates more seams for him to attack. So hopefully, we can modify the system to maximise what we can get out of Jose.

I think that new motion offence that was implimented actually is a step in the right direction to maximize Jose's opportunity.

I for one don't mind that Jose uses that screen as often as he does as it constantly puts the defence off. As either way Jose WILL hurt you, by either passing it off or by hitting the free jumper or driving....to me if he didn't have the screen, I think, that it actually limits Jose's effectiveness as you're taking away one of his strengths of being able to find that open man....am I making sense? :)
TdotO
Rookie

Post#36 » by TdotO » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:17 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

CP can breakdown players... EVERY player, multiple players, and whole damn teams. He rules Calderon in every important stat... Oh and his team is doing very well in the NBA's toughest division. And furthermore... uh... jeez, I completely forgot what your inane argument was - in any case there should be enough counterpoints listed so far.

Maybe you can point out where I said that Jose was better than Chris?!...wait that's right I never said that! :crazy:

so try again.
rapz**7**
Bench Warmer
And1: 284

Post#37 » by rapz**7** » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:21 pm

I cant believe the op is making this comparision yet alone people picking Bosh and Calderon. :o This has to be the biggest homerism i've seen in a while. It is basically a two man team in NO and their record shows how effective that is which is amazing since there in the West. I would go into futher detail at how much better CP3 and David West are but i'm still at a loss of words after seeing 13 votes for Bosh and Calderon.
Basketball_Jones wrote:
_MidNight_ wrote:I'd like to think our young guys grew a little with this win tonight

Nah they're the same height
cHiNoz
Rookie
And1: 7

Post#38 » by cHiNoz » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:28 pm

Paul and West by a mile.

even Paul and Chandler.
TdotO
Rookie

Post#39 » by TdotO » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:32 pm

Ponder276- why don't you actually ponder on this: He can shoot the three (IF NEEDED) I thought maybe you missed that part!

Bosh VS West (Career #'s): Offensive Boards and Defensive Boards, Rebounds, Assists, Steals per game and Block per game and points per game are all higher than West.

West is better than Bosh in 3p % by 0.028 %, FT % by a touch over 2 % and FG % by 0.005%

that's all I'm going to say on that
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#40 » by ponder276 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:43 pm

TdotO wrote:Ponder276- why don't you actually ponder on this: He can shoot the three (IF NEEDED) I thought maybe you missed that part!

I COULD shoot the 3 for the Raptors, but it would be a bad idea, cause I'm a bad 3 shooter. Bosh hits one 3 every 16 or so games, at .288 - by NBA standards, he can't shoot the 3. Not that this is a big deal at all - he's excellent at what he does, and we have more than enough 3 shooters, but saying Bosh can shoot the 3 if needed is like saying Yao can bring the ball up the court if needed.

edit: I have said multiple times that Bosh is the better overall player. All I am saying is that they have very different games, and Bosh is not as far ahead of West as Paul is ahead of Calderon.

Return to Toronto Raptors