ImageImageImageImageImage

Stoudamire saves the Raptors?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

UNC Tar Heel Fan
Assistant Coach
And1: 86

Stoudamire saves the Raptors? 

Post#1 » by UNC Tar Heel Fan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:37 am

From wiretap:

Commercial Appeal -
Grizzlies veteran point guard Damon Stoudamire will seek a trade or contract buyout, his agent said Thursday.

Stoudamire was removed from the starting lineup in favor of first-round draft pick Mike Conley. Stoudamire was on the inactive list for the Grizzlies' victory Wednesday over Indiana. Aaron Goodwin, an experienced NBA agent with a star-studded client list, called the decision to relegate Stoudamire to an insurance player at the point unacceptable and disrespectful.

I know there's a chance for him to pout when Ford returns, but is he the best available point guard out there if he is waived?

And yes, I know the title of the thread is a stretch.
Kosta
RealGM
And1: 2

Post#2 » by Kosta » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:41 am

Boston...
TCHOKE
Head Coach
And1: 312

Post#3 » by TCHOKE » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:45 am

i like damon, be nice to see him retire as a raps
BasherMan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#4 » by BasherMan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:49 am

You think that an upset "insurance player" will come to Toronto to be an insurance player?
bballCT
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#5 » by bballCT » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:49 am

I'm not convinced Damon could bring much more the Dixon would right now (aside from experience in running the position) but I would love as a fan to see him in a Raps uni again
Follow Twitter for basketball cards news: @bballct
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,049

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:20 am

Damon has about $9 million left in a contract that ends in 2009. So while a buyout is possible, there's no way that he should be a trade target.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
UNC Tar Heel Fan
Assistant Coach
And1: 86

Post#7 » by UNC Tar Heel Fan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:41 am

I would never ever trade for Stoudamire that is for sure.

I wonder if he would even be interested anyways. He would get some good minutes behind Calderon and be with a competitive team and when Ford comes back I still see him as a rotation player.

Clearly only if he was on waivers would this even be considered in my opinion. I just wonder if Damon is that type of guy that would want to come back and fix a situation where he left in a ugly mess.

Hell, Antonio freakin Davis came back, so anything is possible.
Buyaka
Assistant Coach
And1: 420

Post#8 » by Buyaka » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:48 am

BasherMan wrote:You think that an upset "insurance player" will come to Toronto to be an insurance player?

+1
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,981

Post#9 » by Cassius » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:42 am

CB4rules wrote:I'm not convinced Damon could bring much more the Dixon would right now (aside from experience in running the position) but I would love as a fan to see him in a Raps uni again

And the last time you saw Damon play was...
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
rapsrealm
Assistant Coach
And1: 424

Post#10 » by rapsrealm » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:55 am

Maybe they'll bring back the Nike Mighty Mouse ad.
James699
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#11 » by James699 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:37 am

alrite lets acquire this guy. While we are it, how bout we get everyone that played on the expansion team. :crazy:
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,049

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:00 am

CB4rules wrote:I'm not convinced Damon could bring much more the Dixon would right now (aside from experience in running the position) but I would love as a fan to see him in a Raps uni again

There's no doubt that he'd be an improvement over Dixon. Dix is many things but he's clearly not a PG in terms of either skill or mindset.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#13 » by 99 Problems » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:10 am

Why would he sign with us when he wouldn't even be the 2nd pg off the bench when TJ arrives?

He wants to go somewhere where he can contribute significantly and be able to win a championship before he retires.. Boston...
James699
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#14 » by James699 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:27 am

Warya wrote:Why would he sign with us when he wouldn't even be the 2nd pg off the bench when TJ arrives?

He wants to go somewhere where he can contribute significantly and be able to win a championship before he retires.. Boston...

lol who doesnt want to be in Boston right now. PPL like Gary Payton and those guys are running over there to play for them. Last year, it was much opposite. Everyone was trying to run away from that team lol. I bet Alonzo Mourning would have been there too, he probably needed to come up with another excuse about his health lmao. In my opinion, the stupidest guy is Muotombo. He resigns with Rockets than going to player over wid Pierce, Allen, Garnett. :nonono:
bballCT
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#15 » by bballCT » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:47 am

Cassius wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And the last time you saw Damon play was...

A while ago, gotta to admit it (But I do like watching Memphis games if I happen to catch them on SportsnetWest or whatnot, and obviously against the Raps).

I mainly base my opinion off gut feelings of course (stats included), but I still don't see what he could bring more then Dixon. The latter at least is somewhat of a poor man's Mike James in that he's a streaky scorer that can pass the ball occasionally and I'm using the assumption that T.J. will be back eventually.

To my knowledge, Damon is no longer a scoring threat especially considering that he's splitting time with younglings like Conley and Lowry of all people. If he's not happy in Iavaroni's offense, I don't see how he could fit in Sam's system especially knowing that he might eventually become a 3rd stringer. Just my opinion, I'd be glad to hear more point of views (since that's what forums are for).
Follow Twitter for basketball cards news: @bballct
Burberry_HK
Junior
And1: 0

Post#16 » by Burberry_HK » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:27 am

Yeah they mentioned in the memphis game that Damon was on his way out, and I thought with TJ and all he might help the raps. Still think his passing isn't as good as TJ though.
T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS
Analyst
And1: 1,266
Location: [STH] Toronto, ON = ah.. the memories of 500 level seats at skydome...

Post#17 » by T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:39 pm

Successful Trade Scenario

Mighty Mouse for Dix+Joey

If we can get a very serviceable back-up PG for a marginally serviceable back-up PG and a player that doesn't even play, I think it would be a very good trade for us to do. TJ doesn't seem like he'll be back until just before the playoffs. Damon was playing well for The Grizz, but he doesn't fit their youth movement. And I actually think Dix and Joey could be successful in Iavaroni's system. It would be a win-win, imo.

However, I think his agent will work out a trade to a better situation: BOS, MIA, CLE.
DIEHARD_005
Starter
And1: 902

Post#18 » by DIEHARD_005 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:58 pm

...and be a third string PG when Ford is back again? Nice thought but he ends up playing for a legit contender.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#19 » by dacrusha » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:00 pm

Why would we sign a guy who cried his way out of Toronto, left the Blazers in a mess (ironically, they signed Dixon as his replacement and refused to work out the sign and trade to Houston he so desperately wanted) and now is whining about his status in Memphis?

The BC-era Raptors are being built around character guys who win with good team work and chemistry. Damon Stoudamire is the complete opposite player we need to help us move forward.
Champipple
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#20 » by Champipple » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:12 pm

I actually think he'd be a good fit.

In interviews, he fondly refers to his time in Toronto as great times and I think all but the most stubborn have forgiven him for leaving.

Philosophically speaking, it was worth him leaving to get rid of Isaiah.

I'd do Dixon + Graham to have the best 1-2-3 PG combo in the league.

I don't trust that Ford is going to play all that much the rest of the regular season as long as the Raps look like they're going to make the playoffs. I think they'll rest him for a loooong time to make sure that he's ready for the post-season.

He's had what.... 3 stingers since the beginning of post season last year?

Return to Toronto Raptors