ImageImageImageImageImage

Media questioning TJ Ford's absence

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Media questioning TJ Ford's absence 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:29 pm

Yesterday, on the Bobcat's show on the Fan590, yesterday on Off-the-record on TSN, and on the morning show on the Fan590 this morning, different media personalities questioned how TJ Ford, in his own words, had no symptoms, was 100% pain free, and was cleared to play, yet is still sitting on the sidelines and undecided as to when to come back.

For me, it all hinges on whether he was cleared to play or not. I did not hear that he was. But, the Bobcat apparently heard TJ tell Chuck that he was cleared. Can somebody confirm?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,776

Post#2 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:34 pm

I didn't hear the interview, but there were a number of recaps in that thread yesterday you could check out. I think it was called "TJ on Chuck's show" or something like that. Anyway, I think TJ's probably either still taking time to get his head back in the game, or he might even be strengthening his neck like he had talked about previously.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Danchan
Banned User
And1: 3,250

Post#3 » by Danchan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:34 pm

i agree with the media. Actually I've been saying it for the last 2 weeks. I read sometime ago he was cleared to play by the doctor (forgot where)

and if he is, there's no reason for him to sit by anymore.
Turnpikebandit
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 300

Post#4 » by Turnpikebandit » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:38 pm

So that's Bobcat, Landsberg, Stellick and Landry, right? Not exactly a panel of the most objective or knowledgeable locals when it comes to hoops.

I don't get why they would question a serious neck injury though. Have the Leafs become that irrelevant?
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#5 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:48 pm

I thought he was cleared a couple days later. I honestly think, as I have said before, the remaining issues are mental. He's shook and not 100% sure what he should do next. Not that I think there is anything wrong with TJ being cautious, but it means I would like to see him at least start practicing, soon. But if it's in his head he may not be effective and I think he and BC and Sam realize that. And they don't want to rush him. Although, TJ's long term health and wellness is the most important thing, but for the team standpoint, the uncertainty is not quite as bad as having no hope of him return at all, but it does make it difficult, i imagine, for management to make the decisions required in the next month.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#6 » by whysoserious » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:49 pm

Danchan wrote:i agree with the media. Actually I've been saying it for the last 2 weeks. I read sometime ago he was cleared to play by the doctor (forgot where)

I disagree. These are serious injuries that shouldn't be taken lightly. Even if the doctors have cleared him to play, if he doesn't feel ready he should take time to sort things out.

Too often, especially in the most popular sport in this country, we see guys cleared to play and they jump on the ice and do more damage. Especially with concussions, we saw the results with Lindros and the multiple concussions.

People like you and other's want to judge from the outside not knowing what TJ is going through. How it affected him being taken out on a stretcher again. The worse thing he could do is jump back in and is not mentally ready.
MjM2xTreMe
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#7 » by MjM2xTreMe » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:50 pm

Danchan wrote:i agree with the media. Actually I've been saying it for the last 2 weeks. I read sometime ago he was cleared to play by the doctor (forgot where)

yeah i remember reading in the papers a a few days after the incident that "he could be back on the court as early as next week". At that time I thought he would rejoin the team in their road trip.
LightingTheRafer
Senior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by LightingTheRafer » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:59 pm

Turnpikebandit wrote:So that's Bobcat, Landsberg, Stellick and Landry, right? Not exactly a panel of the most objective or knowledgeable locals when it comes to hoops.

I don't get why they would question a serious neck injury though. Have the Leafs become that irrelevant?

Exactly. Last night on Hoops, they had a round-table discussion in regards to his return, and they all agreed it's TJ's timetable, not anyone else's.

To question this is absolutely absurd. We are not talking a sprained ankle or bum shoulder, last time I checked, the neck/spine are kind of important.
youngaffer
Junior
And1: 4

Post#9 » by youngaffer » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:07 pm

I thought the other issue that was raised was that the club could be holding him back for time to clarify the financial implications (insurance, salary cap - would the league give them a financial exemption? etc.). To me, as the club has been burned by the Garbo situation recently, they would be prudent to ensure the financial implications were very clear.

One other theory (mine) could be that TJ has been told that his symptoms are related to a concussion or series of concussions. If that is the case, then, as I understand it, he should take off the same amount of time to recover as it took him to be symptom free. Since he has taken 3-4 weeks to be symptom free, we shouldn't expect him back until the end of January.

All in all, this is a club that takes due diligence seriously and with no immediate need to get him back on the floor, this process looks solid.
Scarborojosa
Sophomore

Post#10 » by Scarborojosa » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:10 pm

I agree that it is all mental now. I don't understand why some fans are saying he shouldn't sit anymore.

I can see it now.....

T.J. goes in on a one-on-one fast break... instead of taking the harm, and going into the defender, he fades away and shoots an off balance jumper.

Those same fans that said he shouldn't sit anymore will probably say "he shouldn't have come back so soon if he's gonna be hesitant".

I say let the kid come back when he's 100% ready.
pharring
Sixth Man
And1: 372

Post#11 » by pharring » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:15 pm

Personally, I'd rather go by TJ's timetable than the doctors this time around. If TJ comes back early and plays tenative and scared, he does us no good.
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#12 » by rdtx2005 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:24 pm

I guess you have been concussed a few times too many.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,510

Post#13 » by dagger » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:24 pm

Scarborojosa wrote:I agree that it is all mental now. I don't understand why some fans are saying he shouldn't sit anymore.

I can see it now.....

T.J. goes in on a one-on-one fast break... instead of taking the harm, and going into the defender, he fades away and shoots an off balance jumper.

Those same fans that said he shouldn't sit anymore will probably say "he shouldn't have come back so soon if he's gonna be hesitant".

I'm all for anything definitive TJ decides on...

If he comes back, I'm cool with it

If he takes the rest of this season off, I'm cool with it

If he retires, I'm cool with it.

But... and you knew there was a but coming... he may need a kick in the pants to make a decision. He has to be decisive. Otherwise, it's the fear taking control of him. When a kid learning to ride a bike falls off, his dad lifts him back up and puts him on again. If he doesn't get on the bike quickly, he becomes afraid of it.

Like I say, if he needs all summer to reconcile his concerns or build up his body a bit more, I'm totally cool with that. But dithering is a form of paralysis.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,220

Post#14 » by C Court » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:49 pm

TJ Ford could play anytime. Physically he is able.

However, he is seeking additional medical opinions to determine what steps and/or precautions can be taken to minimize the chance of another stinger occuring should he hit his head.

Reading between the lines, TJ is being cautious because he wants to ensure that he has no risk of 'permanent paralysis' should he go down again.

I think all of us would be cautious if we were worried that we could potentially suffer permanent paralysis - even if it was remote.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Scarborojosa
Sophomore

Post#15 » by Scarborojosa » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:06 pm

dagger wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm all for anything definitive TJ decides on...

If he comes back, I'm cool with it

If he takes the rest of this season off, I'm cool with it

If he retires, I'm cool with it.

But... and you knew there was a but coming... he may need a kick in the pants to make a decision. He has to be decisive. Otherwise, it's the fear taking control of him. When a kid learning to ride a bike falls off, his dad lifts him back up and puts him on again. If he doesn't get on the bike quickly, he becomes afraid of it.

Like I say, if he needs all summer to reconcile his concerns or build up his body a bit more, I'm totally cool with that. But dithering is a form of paralysis.

Good point Dagger! I agree with this. It might be easier said than done though. This spine/neck thing must be friggin scary for T.J. I wouldn't even begin to know how he must be feeling or what he might be thinking deep down.
gcsw
Starter
And1: 74

Post#16 » by gcsw » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:14 pm

TJ's been waiting for the easy schedule to start playing.
bychai
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: forward, not backward. upward not forward. and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Post#17 » by bychai » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:17 pm

Scarborojosa wrote:I agree that it is all mental now. I don't understand why some fans are saying he shouldn't sit anymore.

I can see it now.....

Yeah, that or they'll even end up booing him for taking a "bad shot." :roll:

T.J. needs to come back based on his own decisions and what's right for him. Doesn't really matter what they media says, they just need something to talk about to fill up air time.
The Letter V
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#18 » by The Letter V » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:17 pm

Yet another example of MeJ's selfishness. What's wrong with this guy? Seriously man up- go out there and play and help your team win. I mean this injury doesn't have long term implications at all- a couple of wins now is much more valuable than TJ's long term health.
Champipple
Rookie

Post#19 » by Champipple » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:18 pm

As long as the Raptors look like they are going to make the playoffs he should focus on conditioning and avoid playing full contact.

We need him for the playoffs, as long as we're not slipping, let him rest and prepare.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,288

Post#20 » by Yuri Vaultin » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:24 pm

I wish we could transplant his brain and speed into Joey Grahams body.

Return to Toronto Raptors