ImageImageImageImageImage

Media questioning TJ Ford's absence

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#41 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:02 pm

Birth of the Cool wrote:there sure are a lot of 'real' men on internet forums.

How anyone can complain about TJ Ford being hesitant to return is astonishing to me. The dude has had major issues before and when you are laying on a basketball court feeling like you can't move your body I expect that is quite the mindf#$!.

Too many athletes keep pushing their bodies far too hard for far too long resulting in dire consequences for the rest of their lives. Sure these guys are paid megabucks but I can't see any sane person who would $$$ is worth a post-professional career life of pain/misery. These guys retire at 35 or so and if their lucky still have a long life to lead after the 'glory days' are gone and to do so in constant poor health/pain is definitely not worth it (see football for some extreme examples).

that's fine. But according to TJ that decision has been made already. He isated he is returning. So mentally it seems, according to that that he has made his decision. So if what he said, about being 100% is true, than you you have to wonder, what purpose is the time he taking taking? In that it's like if you are afraid of flying but you know you have to fly to get somewhere, and you know you are going to fly, why put off taking the flight?

I'm not trying to be insensitive, if he decides to retire, and he has stated the opposite, I'd understand and I'll miss his contributions.
If he's not physically well, which he says he is, I'd want him to rest.

But according to TJ he's 100% and he's planning to return, so how is it not fair to ask why he isn't even practicing? Practice. Not a game, Practice. We talkin' bout practice. Practice.
MjM2xTreMe
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#42 » by MjM2xTreMe » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:06 pm

I think it's just the choice of words he uses. If he was gonna come back in two weeks he would probably say " Im aiming for the next couple of weeks". When he said " before the season ends" he is clearly not sure but his comment seems longer than 2 weeks.
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#43 » by MrBojangelz71 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:07 pm

Any media insinuating that TJ is milking this injury has little understanding on the situation.
TJ will be back but when he's ready and capable of playing a style needed to play in order to be successful. He's getting every possible evaluation on the possible effects of another hard hit should he return but he also has to be willing to risk himself for the success of the team. Is he capable of going up in a crowd at this moment, not thinking about a possible injury. Not at this moment. TJ plays a hard game and he can't back down or else he just becomes a fast small one dimensional PG.

Expect him back by mid to late Feb. Enough time to ready himself for playoffs.
deknow
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#44 » by deknow » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:14 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

that's fine. But according to TJ that decision has been made already. He isated he is returning. So mentally it seems, according to that that he has made his decision. So if what he said, about being 100% is true, than you you have to wonder, what purpose is the time he taking taking? In that it's like if you are afraid of flying but you know you have to fly to get somewhere, and you know you are going to fly, why put off taking the flight?

I'm not trying to be insensitive, if he decides to retire, and he has stated the opposite, I'd understand and I'll miss his contributions.
If he's not physically well, which he says he is, I'd want him to rest.

But according to TJ he's 100% and he's planning to return, so how is it not fair to ask why he isn't even practicing? Practice. Not a game, Practice. We talkin' bout practice. Practice.

I think Shazzam! is onto something they were on the road forever it makes it hard to come in and practice
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,313

Post#45 » by Shaazzam » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:15 pm

deknow wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think Shazzam! is onto something they were on the road forever it makes it hard to come in and practice

I do expect to see him at least shooting soon though, like within the week.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
deknow
Banned User

Post#46 » by deknow » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:18 pm

I think if he were to return to the practice court in a week we would've heard about it already I think two weeks is a little more realistic
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM

Post#47 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:19 pm

Shazzam wrote:

I do expect to see him at least shooting soon though, like within the week.

^ so you'd agree with me, that you'd like to see him practicing, just think the reason he hasn't is because of the long road trip? Because they've been home for a few days now and I haven't heard of him practicing yet.
deknow
Banned User

Post#48 » by deknow » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:23 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:^ so you'd agree with me then, that you'd like to see him practicing, just think the reason he hasn't is because of the long road trip. Because they've been home for a few days four days now and I haven't heard of him practising yet.

I knew you'd say that. Give it some time he is still getting evaluated there is no timetable for return because they haven't finished gathering info. I'm pretty sure on the western trip he wasn't even thinking about returning at all it just now that he is contemplating a return.
Hank_Scorpio
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Hank_Scorpio » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:43 pm

This is a common problem in our society.

When someone is injured or physically sick - like with cancer - we can easily sympathise with them.

But when someone is having emotional or mental problems, we expect them to just "suck it up".

I have little doubt that Ford will be back - and probably sooner than people expect.
Postbro1 wrote:Obama is right on this.
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#50 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:45 pm

The media needs to STFU
Got Raps FanFiction?
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM

Post#51 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:14 pm

Hank_Scorpio wrote:This is a common problem in our society.

When someone is injured or physically sick - like with cancer - we can easily sympathise with them.

But when someone is having emotional or mental problems, we expect them to just "suck it up".

I have little doubt that Ford will be back - and probably sooner than people expect.

It's all how it's framed though too, Hank.

If i was to write to Swirsk and Say "TJ's issues are all in his head" wouldn't it look like I was knocking him?
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#52 » by jeffya2 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:42 pm

TJ said 100%, Doctors said 100%, Raps are NOT 100%
Clearly TJ's future & career is in the Lawyers hands now

TJ can't make it any clearer that he is NOT the problem

Quote:

"I'm feeling good. My body has recovered all the way and I'm not having any symptoms," Ford said. "I'm not waking up sore anymore and I'm not having pain throughout the day.
kmatrixg
Veteran
And1: 118
Location: Geographically: Northern Hemisphere; Socially: On the margins; Narratively: A long way to go

Post#53 » by kmatrixg » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:43 pm

TJ Ford (on the Fan Yesterday) "I'm still undecided whether or not I will be retiring"
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,185

Post#54 » by C Court » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:48 pm

Birth of the Cool wrote:there sure are a lot of 'real' men on internet forums.

How anyone can complain about TJ Ford being hesitant to return is astonishing to me. The dude has had major issues before and when you are laying on a basketball court feeling like you can't move your body I expect that is quite the mindf#$!.

Too many athletes keep pushing their bodies far too hard for far too long resulting in dire consequences for the rest of their lives. Sure these guys are paid megabucks but I can't see any sane person who would $$$ is worth a post-professional career life of pain/misery. These guys retire at 35 or so and if their lucky still have a long life to lead after the 'glory days' are gone and to do so in constant poor health/pain is definitely not worth it (see football for some extreme examples).

I agree. In the greater scheme of things why does it matter if he's back next week or next month or the spring???

I'd rather have a healthy rested TJ for the stretch run than see him play next week just to satiate some fans and the media.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM

Post#55 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:51 pm

Centre Court wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree. In the greater scheme of things why does it matter if he's back next week or next month or the spring???

I'd rather have a healthy rested TJ for the stretch run than see him play next week just to satiate some fans and the media.

I don't want him to rush either, but it would be insulting to him to assume he couldn't help us win basketball games if he was healthy and certain that he was not going to retire.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#56 » by vaff87 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:26 pm

kmatrixg wrote:TJ Ford (on the Fan Yesterday) "I'm still undecided whether or not I will be retiring"

Are you sure he said that? I never listened to the interview, but I never once read that quote in any of the recaps I've seen. There's also this quote from an article about this interview on ESPN.com:

"I feel I'm going to play. I know I'm going to play. It's a matter of when will I play," Ford said. "This is not something that will keep me out for the rest of the season."

That doesn't sound like he's still undecided on if he's retiring or not.
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,552

Post#57 » by TheRaptor! » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:31 pm

dagger wrote:I'm all for anything definitive TJ decides on...

If he comes back, I'm cool with it

If he takes the rest of this season off, I'm cool with it

If he retires, I'm cool with it.

But... and you knew there was a but coming... he may need a kick in the pants to make a decision. He has to be decisive. Otherwise, it's the fear taking control of him. When a kid learning to ride a bike falls off, his dad lifts him back up and puts him on again. If he doesn't get on the bike quickly, he becomes afraid of it.

Like I say, if he needs all summer to reconcile his concerns or build up his body a bit more, I'm totally cool with that. But dithering is a form of paralysis.

I agree :sigh:
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#58 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:37 pm

TheRaptor! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree :sigh:

I do too...but this guy has fallen off more than once.

I think this is something more personal/mental, the first time it was just him...this time he has his family to think of. Can't blame him for being scared.
Got Raps FanFiction?
galeon110
Analyst
And1: 629

Post#59 » by galeon110 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:00 am

rdtx2005 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I guess you have been concussed a few times too many.

read the article clearly, he's only re-stating what doctors have said.
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/acn4117138.htm
He has been medically cleared to play in tonight's game at Air Canada Centre against the Dallas Mavericks.

Return to Toronto Raptors