ImageImageImageImageImage

Media questioning TJ Ford's absence

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

bychai
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: forward, not backward. upward not forward. and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Post#21 » by bychai » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:30 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:I wish we could transplant his brain and speed into Joey Grahams body.

We'd have our very own Lebron :wink:
Raps-ody
Junior
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Raps-ody » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:38 pm

It's even possible that he got two slightly different opinions from the experts he consulted. It can happen. I think people have to realize this is potentially a very serious injury and given the number of stingers he's had in the past eight months or so, apparently he risks increased severity of the stingers and potential permanent nerve damage. (I've read this in a few places, but I'm no doctor, I'll be upfront and admit. Pls note I said nerve damage, not paralysis, because I think TJ even said he'd have to think about retiring if that was what I was warned could happen)

I'm sure he's doing what he needs to do in physio, and will return when he AND the doctors feel he's ready (physically and yes, mentally). None of us want to see the guy carried out on a stretcher ever again. (even haters)
RealGM Raptors board
Where pan*c happens
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,281

Post#23 » by Yuri Vaultin » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:41 pm

If TJ retires is there the chance he'd pull an Olajuwan and screw us for the entire contract value and mess up our cap situation or is there a way around that?
Champipple
Rookie

Post#24 » by Champipple » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:43 pm

Sure there's a chance, but at least this time we have BC doing the negotiations, not Grunweld.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#25 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 3:55 pm

Scarborojosa wrote:I agree that it is all mental now. I don't understand why some fans are saying he shouldn't sit anymore.

I can see it now.....

T.J. goes in on a one-on-one fast break... instead of taking the harm, and going into the defender, he fades away and shoots an off balance jumper.

Those same fans that said he shouldn't sit anymore will probably say "he shouldn't have come back so soon if he's gonna be hesitant".

I say let the kid come back when he's 100% ready.

I agree with this, but I would be more encouraged to hear that he is practicing, even lightly with coaches, and trying and see how he feels and to keep in shape while he works through the mental, if he is physically able and seriously planning on returning.
AB_21
Analyst
And1: 23

Post#26 » by AB_21 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:00 pm

It's all in his head.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,281

Post#27 » by Yuri Vaultin » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:01 pm

AB_21 wrote:It's all in his head.

and neck and back...
Scarborojosa
Sophomore

Post#28 » by Scarborojosa » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:02 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree with this, but I would be more encouraged to hear that he is practicing, even lightly with coaches, and trying and see how he feels and to keep in shape while he works through the mental, if he is physically able and seriously planning on returning.

Right, I don't understand about the not practicing part. Even some shooting or light jogging. Like some of the posters have mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some conflicting doctors reports.
bill russell
Pro Prospect
And1: 65

Post#29 » by bill russell » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:04 pm

In answer to SS's question at the start of this thread, Colangelo was quoted in the Sun a couple days ago saying that TJ was still getting more tests.

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball ... 0-sun.html
kem416
Pro Prospect
And1: 256

Post#30 » by kem416 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:22 pm

There is such a thing as life after basketball. TJ knows that and Alvin knew but he let the chips fall where they may.

We all love Alvin but the question remains, where is Alvin now and where does he wish he was?

This is TJ's decision and we have to other choice but to respect that.
Wiretap: "Confirmed: Bryan Colangelo's collar acted as blinder in contract negotiations with Turkoglu. MLSE orderd new tailor. Tailor fired after Landry Fields brought in."
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,608

Post#31 » by Ackshun » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:29 pm

this shouldnt even be an issue.
Champipple
Rookie

Post#32 » by Champipple » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:32 pm

Isn't Alvin a broadcaster with Philly?
deknow
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#33 » by deknow » Fri Jan 4, 2008 4:32 pm

Why is this such a huge concern? TJ is waiting till he is mentally ready to return. Numerous times yesterday he said "I'm just waiting for my body to tell me that I'm okay" That tell me that he is strong in body and not yet in mind. I think he's just making sure that when he comes back he doesn't suffer another setback. Why is everyone looking for this conspiracy theory?
La princesa
Junior
And1: 3

Post#34 » by La princesa » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:34 pm

You people need to learn how to wait he wants to be 100% sure before he comes back because one more injury and he could be done with Basket-ball.... :cry:
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#35 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:35 pm

deknow wrote:Why is this such a huge concern? TJ is waiting till he is mentally ready to return. Numerous times yesterday he said "I'm just waiting for my body to tell me that I'm okay" That tell me that he is strong in body and not yet in mind. I think he's just making sure that when he comes back he doesn't suffer another setback. Why is everyone looking for this conspiracy theory?

there's no conspiracy theory and I haven't seen any conspiracy theories. I think we all can now feel pretty comfortable everything is in his head, as everything reported in the media lately points to that, and if that's the case, I'd like to see him practice and try to stay in shape while working through these very important decisions. His decision should be his and is the most important, however we as a team will have some decisions to make based upon his decisions. As such I'd prefer to see or hear of him and the staff being more aggressive, in terms of doing things like to at least give the org some idea of our context going forward as the trade deadline approaches.

Take Juan for example. We could move him, to a place where he'll get more time, perhaps for a player that may be more useful to us. Martin is serviceable as a third but not second PG, perhaps, so all these question hinge on Ford.

Now I agree with ford having to get things right in his head and contemplating his future, but again, I would prefer to know that he's practicing or being more active in making this important decision which, he has, apparently in his own words already made. He has said he's returning. If that's in fact correct, you then, logically, have to wonder why wait, if reports of him being 100% physically are true. And as a staff it's be nice to see how he's going to perform. We are in a playoff race now and we need all hands on deck. But I don't think anyone is lying or that there is some conspiracy. I think people are just sensitive to the issue, and not asking some logical questions, unitl recently. But only recently, have more of the picture been known, so it's only logical. I think Ford has been treated very fairly by the org and should continue to be, but as a fan, honestly, I'm getting restless. If i don;'t have all the info, that's there fault because TJ seems to state things pretty clearly and matter of factly. But what do they care what I think anyway.
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,455

Post#36 » by Birth of the Cool » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:39 pm

there sure are a lot of 'real' men on internet forums.

How anyone can complain about TJ Ford being hesitant to return is astonishing to me. The dude has had major issues before and when you are laying on a basketball court feeling like you can't move your body I expect that is quite the mindf#$!.

Too many athletes keep pushing their bodies far too hard for far too long resulting in dire consequences for the rest of their lives. Sure these guys are paid megabucks but I can't see any sane person who would $$$ is worth a post-professional career life of pain/misery. These guys retire at 35 or so and if their lucky still have a long life to lead after the 'glory days' are gone and to do so in constant poor health/pain is definitely not worth it (see football for some extreme examples).
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,325

Post#37 » by Shaazzam » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:46 pm

I think the fact that the raps were just on a 7 game road trip needs to be remembered when it comes to peoples restlessness. There was no real way he was going to start practicing with the team until they came home.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
deknow
Banned User

Post#38 » by deknow » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:50 pm

^^ that too is a good point
ranger001
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,752

Post#39 » by ranger001 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:00 pm

According to the Post Ford is planning a return in the 'near future'. See the Daily papers sticky for link.
deknow
Banned User

Post#40 » by deknow » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:02 pm

ranger001 wrote:According to the Post Ford is planning a return in the 'near future'. See the Daily papers sticky for link.

again there is nothing to substantiate that but I would agree with you, I think he'll be back within two weeks

Return to Toronto Raptors