ImageImageImageImageImage

Bargnani discussion

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WigginsNation
Analyst
And1: 1,389

Bargnani discussion 

Post#1 » by WigginsNation » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:44 am

Is there anyone here that actually believes he'll live upto the #1 pick?? if we actually had someone half decent to bang with bosh inside, we'd be a TOP calibre team.....someone like Aldridge wouldve been perfect :cry:
Sorry to say but im not very confident about his game.

Anyways, havent been on here for like 4ever, so dont spasm on me if this has been discussed.
MerK
Senior
And1: 1

Post#2 » by MerK » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:49 am

Anyways, havent been on here for like 4ever

either have i!

that is all.
Sig by Rare!!
CreaM
Banned User
And1: 1,163

Post#3 » by CreaM » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:50 am

Aldridge is NOT a banger.

However I do feel Bargnani is unneeded on this team. We have so much shooters on this team already that SHOULD be shooting. Putting another shooter at the C that CANNOT rebound if his life depended on it does not make much sense to me. However, you have to realize that we are stuck with him and as long as BC is the GM, he is not going anywhere so you might as well cheer for him.
kcthekid
Starter
And1: 3

Post#4 » by kcthekid » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:52 am

hes shown flashes, i like how his D has improved
but we cant wait another 3 yrs to see if he pans out
i think this play off run and next yr will decide his fate
traveller
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by traveller » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:52 am

unfortunately, Bargs is a non factor most nights ... a wasted 1st pick ... we can always hope ... maybe next year!
Don't_Reach
Starter

Post#6 » by Don't_Reach » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:54 am

If Bargnani develops to the player he was projected to be...I wonder how many people will come out and admit they overreacted or they were quick to jump on him
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#7 » by Trilogy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:57 am

Well, the trade deadline made everyone forget about him for a little bit.

It looks like it's an experiment we're going to ride out and see if it works. I'm a proponent of traditional power basketball (just about everyone is) and have major doubts of it's long term viablilty (Bosh & Bargs that is), but I'm content seeing it tried for now.

At the end of the day, both will be assets and one (presumably Bargs) can be moved for good value.

Bargnani is a talented guy, he's got skills. He's probably better suited at the 4 though. He's not a bust, at all. You can argue other players are better, where I would agree, but he's a talented baller.

But, just relax and watch it unfold for now. We're in the early stages of development. If it turns out not to work, I'm sure Colangelo will shuffle the deck. We're in no need to hurry, we've just started building.
Illuminati
Banned User
And1: 11

Post#8 » by Illuminati » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:57 am

Hey. How are you doing op?
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#9 » by Cassius » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:06 am

Crazy how Amare looked so much more comfortable at the 4, on both sides of the ball...

I have faith though, if Dirk hadn't sprained his ankle a couple years back, the 60 win Raef-Dirk Mavs might have changed the league's opinion of perimeter bigs.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Re: Bargnani discussion 

Post#10 » by whoknows » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:11 am

CB4_the_CEO wrote:Is there anyone here that actually believes he'll live upto the #1 pick?? if we actually had someone half decent to bang with bosh inside, we'd be a TOP calibre team.....someone like Aldridge wouldve been perfect :cry:
Sorry to say but im not very confident about his game.

Anyways, havent been on here for like 4ever, so dont spasm on me if this has been discussed.

It has been beaten to death...

The trend is that after every bad game, the doubters are rushing in to declare him a bust, soft, etc. In the last couple of weeks since his game has picked up, even the immature posters have been quiet.

Bottom line, AB has the size and skill set to be a very special player, very hard to defend.
His defense is improving and in time he'll learn how to position himself for rebounds.

Don't forget that the 5 position is news for him and we should all be patient since potential is there. He is still trying to find his place on the floor since Sam does not a system per say.
His latest drives (still raw) are getting attention and passing skills are amazing for a big guy. His mental/confidence development still has ways to go, but once he clicks, watch out.
I do believe that Sam should do a better job in encouraging him and not pulling him after the first missed assignment.

Bottom line, AB has the size and skill set to be a very special player, very hard to defend. When he plays good he brings that extra excitement for most of us Raps fans. Since he's driving more this year, nobody knows what to expect from him when he gets the ball. The shot is there, give him time and he'll perfect his drive, then watch out.

IMO he is a keeper, an intriguing player with size and amazing skills. Give him time and he'll prove his worth.
diab_21
Ballboy

Post#11 » by diab_21 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:11 am

I'm not going to ly I love bargs.... even before the draft i thought he was a great player with a high ceiling. I've noticed when he starts the game off with a dunk or lay up couple easy baskets, he tends to score alot in thos games and has a high level of confidence. I just learned what a volume shooter was and i've heard some ppl say he was but i dont really think he is.

I feel he can he a super star player and if he works hard enough maybe an all start but not for a while. I think is depends on his work ethic as well if he actually take the time and tries to learn some new tricks and how to rebound this summer. but i thnk he need this full rookie contract before he become the player we want him to be.
Uros Slowcar
Rookie

Post#12 » by Uros Slowcar » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:18 am

I hope hes a late bloomer. But he just doesn't seem to have a nose for the ball, and when his shot is off, all his confidence goes down the toilet.
grimlock
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#13 » by grimlock » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:22 am

He rushes everything he does and looks awkward.

The #1 move I hate from Bargnani is the standing still quick turn to the basket jumpshot that NEVER goes in. He is a stand up shooter, needs to face the net and slow down his decision making.

And as of right now, he is a bust for a #1... but time can change that. I'd still take Bargnani based on potential over a consistant player like Bogut.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#14 » by sh00n » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:26 am

Give him time, he's shown the flashes that it's there. And his play before his appendectomy proved he can stick in this league.

I'm going to come out and say all you Bargs haters will eat crow the beginning of next year when he finally puts it all together. Book it.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#15 » by J Dilla » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:26 am

Nobodys denying he has offensive skills. His rebounding numbers are horrible for a guy who`s 7`1. He even has trouble with his offense for the most part of this season.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,416

Post#16 » by Tha Cynic » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:27 am

I'm not going to lie, I'd trade him for the first true young bigman available. I don't care about Bargnani's offensive potential. That can be provided by any of the other positions. Why get that type of production from your 5 when u can get that from the wings easily. What we need from the 5 is rebounding and just a strong interior presence. Bosh is amazing as he is, just imagine the type of player he would be if he had an actual 5 playing beside him.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
kyrils
Junior
And1: 16

Post#17 » by kyrils » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:31 am

It must be between exams because those who cant understand that when bargs becomes a dominant player is when we will vie for a championship. If you take any other player out of the draft , Roy included and put them on this team as a dominant player and you can't say that, Roy, Gay or aldridge included.
So I you would stop your whining and just worry about finding improvements for Parker and Moon , the two player who we could have a hope of improving on because you are not getting a dominant centre via trade , only the draft and aldridge is bosh, just not as good and gay is flash and no substance and replace Calderon with roy and see how much better we'ed be. Of course we could've had Tyrus Thomas, ask Chicago how that worked out.

Enough venting
:banghead:
The raptors can never win a championship because the refs wont let us...…... Unless a miracle trade happens. :D
prototype
Analyst
And1: 357

Post#18 » by prototype » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:34 am

Last year and the beginning of this year I had high hopes. But now I don't think he's needed on the team with the way Bosh is playing. Bosh could pretty much do anything Bargs can do but Bargs can't do everything Bosh can do.

We don't need two bigs in the starting line up that does exactly the same offense. We need one of them to have a back to the basket game.

With a healthy Bosh he is one of the top offensive players in the league. Which I remember many last year was hoping Bargs would be putting his PPG higher than Bosh. Now that we know Bosh could pretty much provide that consistent way of making shots we don't need Bargs.
teamLeiweke
Head Coach
And1: 5,019

Post#19 » by teamLeiweke » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:37 am

They cant really complain because of all the success they have had for many years now, but imagine how Detroit Pistons fans feel everytime they see or hear about Darko, knowing they could have has Melo, Bosh or Wade.
gangstaff
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#20 » by gangstaff » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:41 am

Watching Hoops (the Fan590/RapsTV show) someone called in with a complaint about Bargs, basically voicing my own opinion that he is a good player but not a C and a bad match with CB4. The host, PJ and Sherm, trotted out the company line about how much talent he has (which is true) and how it will work given time, etc.

But the funny thing was, PJ started comparing him to Dirk and Amare and how those guys are not traditional 7 footers and how they work so well. I was thinking, "uh buddy, Dirk never plays C and Amare is now a PF and loving it."

Anyways, I think the board is split 50/50 on him. Some of the "cup half full" people love the kid and think it'll work cause he's talented and young, and the some just think BC can do no wrong so Drea will work out as planned.

Personally, I think he could be a great PF on a team that needed scoring from that position, like the Sixers. A frontcourt of Dally, Bargs, and the young kid Jason Smith would be dynamite in a year or two. That would be a well-rounded rotation with no obvious weakness.

I have a serious question for any really knowledgable posters...how many really good players have gone through a year and a half and not started to light it up and impact their team? I hate this whole "evaluate him after 5 years" stuff, and wonder if any reasonable conclusions can be drawn after 1.5-2 years.

Return to Toronto Raptors