ImageImageImageImageImage

Jose Calderon - Raptors' Most Important Player?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Jose Calderon - Raptors' Most Important Player? 

Post#1 » by YogiStewart » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:34 pm

Think about what will happen if one of our players is out for a period of time. Which player absence would have the most negative effect?

Bosh? Can arguably be replaced by Andrea and JO picking up some slack.
Go through the rest of the line-up. Almost everyone is replaceable...except for Jose Calderon.

You can't feel comfortable with a Jose-less lineup.

The scary thought: the second runner-up would be Anthony Parker. If he's out, who would step up and replace him?
08HEMI
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Jose Calderon - Raptors' Most Important Player? 

Post#2 » by 08HEMI » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:42 pm

I could see AP taking over the pg duties with kapono at sg
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,681

Post#3 » by kingr » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:42 pm

I get what you're saying, I haven't even really seen the back up pgs play... I still feel Bosh is most important though.
Hank_Scorpio
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#4 » by Hank_Scorpio » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:45 pm

In this context, absolutely.
Postbro1 wrote:Obama is right on this.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by YogiStewart » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Hank_Scorpio wrote:In this context, absolutely.

you scared?

i am.

hold me tight, Hank...hold me tight
galeon110
Analyst
And1: 629

Post#6 » by galeon110 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:02 pm

I'm perfectly fine with a Jose-less lineup. Roko and Solomon so far have proven they are very capable of playing the point. IMO Bosh is still the most important and if he gets injured, it'd be over.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#7 » by Yuri Vaultin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:06 pm

galeon110 wrote:I'm perfectly fine with a Jose-less lineup. Roko and Solomon so far have proven they are very capable of playing the point.

:jawdrop:

That's crazy talk.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#8 » by dagger » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:08 pm

galeon110 wrote:I'm perfectly fine with a Jose-less lineup. Roko and Solomon so far have proven they are very capable of playing the point. IMO Bosh is still the most important and if he gets injured, it'd be over.

What alternate universe are you living in? Watched both Ukic and Solomon last night from courtside, and neither has a clue what to do with the ball when challenged, or in traffic. Both are system point guards who flourished in Europe because the offences are more structured than what Mitchell runs. Ukic, at least, will probably grow into the NBA game, but Solomon at age 30 is what he is: a combo guard with limited decision-making skills. The way to cover up for their inadequacies is to play them with as many starters as possible, but you can't play our starters for 48 minutes.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
derrek
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#9 » by derrek » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:17 pm

Joey can slide to the 1
Jack Armstrong shouts out my podcast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEw3ZURHBsc
bane_dd
Banned User

Post#10 » by bane_dd » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:32 pm

derrek wrote:Joey can slide to the 1

He IS Mr.Versatility!
bane_dd
Banned User

Post#11 » by bane_dd » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:33 pm

galeon110 wrote:I'm perfectly fine with a Jose-less lineup. Roko and Solomon so far have proven they are very capable of playing the point. IMO Bosh is still the most important and if he gets injured, it'd be over.

LOL, your sig and avatar tell the whole story. You can retreat back to your TJ Ford worshiping universe now because in this one, neither Will nor Roko are capable of running the team nearly as well as Jose does. In fact, losing Jose for any extended period of time would bring our playoff berth into question.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by YogiStewart » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:37 pm

please tell me that you make moonshine for a living.
saham
Rookie
And1: 47

Post#13 » by saham » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:41 pm

First I was under the impression that you had a man crush on TJ but now i am assured that you are just a Jose Hater. :wavefinger:
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#14 » by J Dilla » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:50 pm

The Raptors might get in trouble if Jose gets injured, but not as much as they would with Bosh getting injured. This team plays like a lottery team without him, no dependable go to guy, no one to attack the hoop and no leadership. If both of them get injured, you might as well watch another team.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,510

Post#15 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:59 pm

Ok, everyone.

A question as asked. If there was only one acceptable answer, it wouldn't be a question. So please stop insulting/attacking the person who has a different opinion. He's entitled to answer the question either way without being called a hater or whatever. I don't happen to agree with him either, but that doesn't mean he's a _____ or whatever, it means he sees things differently than I do.

Let's get a little more maturity, shall we?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,560

Post#16 » by s e n s i » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:Ok, everyone.

A question as asked. If there was only one acceptable answer, it wouldn't be a question. So please stop insulting/attacking the person who has a different opinion. He's entitled to answer the question either way without being called a hater or whatever. I don't happen to agree with him either, but that doesn't mean he's a _____ or whatever, it means he sees things differently than I do.

But, but, but...he said he'd be perfectly fine with a Jose-less lineup! That's pretty much saying we really don't need Jose. And he knows the reaction he is gonna get from this board. To me that is borderline trolling.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,510

Post#17 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:20 pm

chocolateSens1 wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:Ok, everyone.

But, but, but...he said he'd be perfectly fine with a Jose-less lineup! That's pretty much saying we really don't need Jose.

Okay, suppose it is. It's his opinion. He's not from some other board coming in trying to rile up locals, he's from this board, and has an unpopular opinion. That's not him doing anything wrong.

And he knows the reaction he is gonna get from this board.

I've taken several unpopular opinions on this board, and after a while I knew what reaction they would get. That didn't make my expressing them any more wrong than someone expressing the popular one.

To me that is borderline trolling.

Well, that's t you. First off, if you think that, you DON'T attack the poster, you contact a mod. This isn't Dodge city. Secondly, consider the ramifications if your opinion is wrong, and you are doing as people here have done. What becomes of our opinions, as a board? Complete homogenization?

Think about if, for a second.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
icculus
Junior
And1: 5

Post#18 » by icculus » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:21 pm

I agree with the OP in that we would be lost without Jose, but could possibly get by without Bosh. We just got JO and he may not be in the form he was in 2002 but he could still carry the load of a dominant big man.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,113

Post#19 » by C Court » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:40 pm

I agree and I mentioned this yesterday. The Raptors achilles heel is the team's lack of depth at the point. The team is counting on Jose (1) playing big minutes and (2) remaining healthy for 82 games.

I've got to believe that Bryan has feelers out for a capable back up point guard. Its clear that the drop off from Jose Calderon to Solomon/Ukic is huge.

This from Doug Smith's blog this morning sums it up well:

I do know that they should have a massage therapist and a member of the training staff within arm’s reach of Jose Calderon 24/7 because if he gets hurt, this season’s in the toilet.

NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,278

Post#20 » by Shaazzam » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:51 pm

Wow. That's a "bold" statement.

Outside of flashes here and there neither of them have been able to sustain any sort of offensive continuity, either as individuals or actually running the show.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone

Return to Toronto Raptors