ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft prospects: Hot and Cold

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Hummus
Senior
And1: 1

Draft prospects: Hot and Cold 

Post#1 » by Hummus » Fri Dec 5, 2008 11:28 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009 ... tch-081204

Stephen Curry, G, Davidson
Although Blake Griffin is the best big-man prospect in the country, Curry is quickly emerging as the best guard prospect.

Everyone knew he was one of the top scorers in the country. But since being moved to point guard, he has shown he can be an excellent passer and floor leader while still dropping 30 a night on an opponent. And when teams double-team him the whole game (as Loyola, Md., did), he's content to stay out of the way and let the rest of his team play 4-on-3.

His lack of size and athleticism is the only thing keeping him from being mentioned as a possible No. 1 pick. As it stands right now, Curry looks like a lock for the top 10 and could even crack the top 5.

Ricky Rubio, PG, Spain
Rubio turned a lot of heads in the Olympics, but he has begun the season with a whimper. A wrist injury kept him out the first month of the season in Spain. In the long run, the injury is not a big deal, but with players such as Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry and James Harden dominating in the U.S., his position as a potential No. 1 pick in the draft seems to be slipping by the day. In the long run, that might be a good thing for Rubio. But in the short term, his draft stock is taking a hit.

UPDATE: Rubio played his first game of the season on Thursday, going scoreless in three minutes. But he did have two assists, one rebound and one steal.

good idea of who to look out for this year
notic101
Lead Assistant
And1: 48

Re: Draft prospects: Hot and Cold 

Post#2 » by notic101 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 11:41 pm

It would be great to have Rubio slide down to where we pick, but I don't think most GMs will pass up on the oppurtunity. Still, it's a long season, lot of ball to be played. Anything can happen, draft projections are pretty much shaken up til after March Madness is over.
tylrrr
Assistant Coach
And1: 29

Post#3 » by tylrrr » Fri Dec 5, 2008 11:49 pm

Rubio will slide right back up once he works himself back in.
Hummus
Senior

Post#4 » by Hummus » Fri Dec 5, 2008 11:52 pm

notic101 wrote:It would be great to have Rubio slide down to where we pick, but I don't think most GMs will pass up on the oppurtunity. Still, it's a long season, lot of ball to be played. Anything can happen, draft projections are pretty much shaken up til after March Madness is over.

couldn't agree more. I also think that Jennings will be top 5 by the draft. I just think this is an interesting read to bring some of the prospects to everyone's attention and give them an idea of who to look out for.

I was also surprised to hear about Curry's developments. I didn't know that he was playing PG now - a move that can definitely make him a more complete player and a better ranked prospect, if he performs well in the role.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#5 » by Volcano » Fri Dec 5, 2008 11:53 pm

from the limited amount that I've seen Rubio..I don't really see any superstar potential in him
tylrrr
Assistant Coach
And1: 29

Post#6 » by tylrrr » Fri Dec 5, 2008 11:54 pm

Jennings has been pretty bad so far, at least statistically. Then again you can't hold stats too firmly in Euroball.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#7 » by Komodo » Sat Dec 6, 2008 12:20 am

Didn't Rubio reveal that he'd be declaring for the 2010 draft, not 2009? :-?
Tommy Gun
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#8 » by Tommy Gun » Sat Dec 6, 2008 12:25 am

Curry in the top 5?? Holy ****.
cujo2k3
Sophomore

Post#9 » by cujo2k3 » Sat Dec 6, 2008 12:45 am

Volcano wrote:from the limited amount that I've seen Rubio..I don't really see any superstar potential in him

Ummm... u sure?
MinnyMo
Starter
And1: 34

Post#10 » by MinnyMo » Sat Dec 6, 2008 12:56 am

if brandon jennings is available at our posistion in the draft, do we pull the trigger on him, even if he still averages 4.5 ppg in euro play?
08HEMI
Banned User

Post#11 » by 08HEMI » Sat Dec 6, 2008 1:03 am

Curry sort of reminds me of a Monta Ellis, I remember being in north carolina last year and watching ncaa games in sports bars after golfing and he sure was a pleasure to watch. Problem with him is he isn't really a natural pg and is to short to be a star sg or atleast thats the way pro scouts think. Either way he is going to be a good player in the NBA despite his so called physical weaknesses.

God I miss North Carolina and boy are they passionate about college ball, if your even seen with duke clothing on in certain area's be prepared to fight.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#12 » by Volcano » Sat Dec 6, 2008 1:24 am

cujo2k3 wrote:
Volcano wrote:from the limited amount that I've seen Rubio..I don't really see any superstar potential in him

Ummm... u sure?

Well, from all the hype I've been hearing about him..watching him play was a disappointment.

If he ever turns out to be at the same level of Duncan/KG/Lebron/Kobe/CP3...etc. I'll admit that my judgement was off or that he just wasn't playing like his superstar self at the time.
HypNotiQ
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#13 » by HypNotiQ » Sat Dec 6, 2008 2:20 am

Stephen Curry! This kid may be undersized for an SG, but boy can he shoot. I dont know if anyone of you guys remember from I think last year, he was shooting the lights out of his opponent that the opposing coach decided to triple team him on every play.

We need someone who can be consistent and provide day in-and-out. I think Curry would fit thus description pretty well and ofcourse he has raptor links with his dad being an ex-raptor.
MinnyMo
Starter
And1: 34

Post#14 » by MinnyMo » Sat Dec 6, 2008 2:31 am

lets jus tank the year and get him

Return to Toronto Raptors