ImageImageImageImageImage

Bosh Has Every Right To Leave In 2010

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,415

Re: Bosh Has Every Right To Leave In 2010 

Post#101 » by Tha Cynic » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:12 pm

JoseBoshnani wrote:Paul Pierce has been a Celtic his whole career, so he is the one that truly bleeds green. KG and Ray Allen can't lay claim to that.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. If anything this just shows that the batman and robin thing is completely false. In most cases each player shares the responsibilities of the team. You're saying Pierce was always the batman and batmans aren't brought in when robins are in place. I'm saying Garnett was and is considered a better player than Pierce, so what happened was that they brought in a batman.

Also, in your other examples, it actually validates my point moreso than your own. Whom ever helps the other one is the Robin. Remember, Robin is there to help Batman. So you talk about Shaq helping Wade do his thing, well then that makes Wade the Batman still, and Shaq went to Miami as Robin.

Once again, you're showing that this batman and robin talk doesn't really make any sense. Stars share the role. Without Shaq there is no way the Heat even get to the finals. You can't even distinguish who the batman and robin were, because both players played a very important role to get the Heat their championship.

Now with the lesser extents, Melo-Billups, Amare-Nash, etc...the original guys are still the Batman on their teams. I say lesser extents because these combinations haven't won anything. We want title contenders and champions, not just a good team.

Whether we want championships or not, that does not change the fact that they are teams that are considered elite teams. It takes elite teams trying over and over again, to win championships. The Raptors need to become elite before they can consider being the best of the bunch.

And once again you're ignoring the fact that I'm using your own example to show that a better player was brought in to help the team. So what you're saying at this point is that if a better player came in to help Bosh, then Bosh becomes the batman since he was already in place. Either way, this batman and robin thing is now becoming confusing. Either the batman is the best player on the team, or the guy who's already in place. You keep changing it to match your needs. If a player or two are brought in to help Bosh then Bosh becomes the batman, in your case. What difference does it make who you label batman and robin then? If you compare each of Garnett, Allen and Pierce there were doubts about each and every one of them, because they'd accomplished nothing either at that point just like Bosh.

As far as Shaq going to L.A and becoming the Batman instantly over Kobe, you gotta remember that Kobe was still young back then and his game was still under development. Not only was Kobe not a Batman yet, he wasn't even a Robin when Shaq got to L.A. As a matter of fact, the Lakers had no Robins, let alone a Batman before Shaq got there. I wouldn't call guys like Nick Van Exel (1 all star selection only) or Eddie Jones (3 all star selections) Robins.

Either way, both players played an important role in those championships and people were split on who the batman and robin were. In the end, it didn't matter what each was labeled, because they wouldn't have won anything without the other.

Basically what all this shows is that the whole batman and robin thing is false. You just need to have multiple elite players in place to win. When these guys are brought together you don't know who the batman and robin are until they play together, and even then neither would be able to succeed without the other. We're just right back to what I was saying from the beginning which is that we need to bring in more elite players and keep Bosh here. The whole batman and robin thing is irrelevant. Many teams have brought in better players than the one already in place on their team, which is what our whole discussion is about.
Kobe Bryant: “You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,415

Post#102 » by Tha Cynic » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:21 pm

JoseBoshnani wrote:You can't compare Olympics vs the NBA. Players treat both differently. Just because a player is willing to sacrafice in the Olympics doesn't mean they are willing to sacrafice in the NBA, which is where they make their actual living. They don't make their living at the Olympics.

Their living isn't going to get affected by their roles on a championship team. Players who are willing to sacrifice their games in the olympics are just as willing to do so on any other team because that's in their nature. Each and every one of these guys plays an unselfish game to begin with. If they had the chance at a championship, there is no doubt they would sacrifice their games. Players want championships more than anything else. Heck, Vince was even willing to be second to T-Mac if T-Mac would stay, and this was at a time when Vince was considered a top 5 player in the league, and T-Mac was still a young, potential player waiting to explode.
Kobe Bryant: “You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
JoseBoshnani
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#103 » by JoseBoshnani » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:59 pm

whysoserious wrote:Maybe they are cheap long-term but by then, they'll have already signed one big player because playing alongside Mayo and Gay is much more attractive than playing alongside Jose Calderon. If they decide not to sign the other guys then that probably doesn't happen until later on.

Gay will need an extension in 2010. Remember, he is in the same class as Bargnani. And come on man.........Toronto > Memphis. No one likes basketball in Memphis. You'd be pretty stupid to go into that market. Their owner is one of those cheap ones I was referring to as well.

whysoserious wrote:Difference is that most teams can afford two max players without going into luxury tax and there are too many teams going in to that summer to compete with that Toronto has no chance in hell of landing a big time free agent. Whereas with Bosh already here, the chances increase of landing another player to play alongside him.

How can you have 2 max players without going over the lax? lol!!!!!!! From what I understand, the max is 1/3 of the salary cap.

As far as bringing in another player to play alongside Bosh, it will be another Robin at best. What good is another Robin if Bosh is already a Robin? The Raptors need a Batman, and they can't get one if Bosh stays. You can't be giving out max to Robins like Bosh.

whysoserious wrote:You underestimate the competition that summer to land free agents and assume Toronto is on a level playing field and that just isn't the case.

Just isn't the case? That's just you saying, which means absolutely nothing. And you should know that not every team with cap space is looking to make a splash. There are talks that some teams who are clearly up cap space now are just doing so to save money and cut costs, and not necessarily to make a splash in 2010. Makes sense with the current economy.
JoseBoshnani
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#104 » by JoseBoshnani » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:02 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:
JoseBoshnani wrote:You can't compare Olympics vs the NBA. Players treat both differently. Just because a player is willing to sacrafice in the Olympics doesn't mean they are willing to sacrafice in the NBA, which is where they make their actual living. They don't make their living at the Olympics.

Their living isn't going to get affected by their roles on a championship team. Players who are willing to sacrifice their games in the olympics are just as willing to do so on any other team because that's in their nature. Each and every one of these guys plays an unselfish game to begin with. If they had the chance at a championship, there is no doubt they would sacrifice their games. Players want championships more than anything else. Heck, Vince was even willing to be second to T-Mac if T-Mac would stay, and this was at a time when Vince was considered a top 5 player in the league, and T-Mac was still a young, potential player waiting to explode.

Olympics are only once every 4 years. How many Olympic opportunities are you going to get? Player realize this, so they make sacrafices. This is also the first Olympic in which people made sacrafices. Previous USA teams were selfish as hell, and thus part of the struggles prior to 2008. In the NBA, players don't start to make sacrafice until their time is running out. Good luck telling young players in the NBA to take a step back for someone else.
Mattsanity
Pro Prospect
And1: 23

Post#105 » by Mattsanity » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:32 pm

before bosh leaves, he should atleast take these raptors to the second round. Im not saying he'll literally do it, but when he hits the market when its all said and done and hasnt done that, then what a waste of 7 seasons with the raptors.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#106 » by whysoserious » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:00 pm

JoseBoshnani wrote:Gay will need an extension in 2010. Remember, he is in the same class as Bargnani. And come on man.........Toronto > Memphis. No one likes basketball in Memphis. You'd be pretty stupid to go into that market. Their owner is one of those cheap ones I was referring to as well.

Well the prospect of playing alongside Gay is much more appealing than playing alongsider Calderon with nothing else. That team atleast has Gay, Mayo, Warrick and a few other's. That was just one example, didn't say they would spend the money but their prospects sure do look better than this team of landing someone should they choose to than ours without Bosh.

JoseBoshnani wrote:How can you have 2 max players without going over the lax? lol!!!!!!! From what I understand, the max is 1/3 of the salary cap.

As far as bringing in another player to play alongside Bosh, it will be another Robin at best. What good is another Robin if Bosh is already a Robin? The Raptors need a Batman, and they can't get one if Bosh stays. You can't be giving out max to Robins like Bosh.

Let's see, every team that wins other than the Pistons has had two major stars taking up a large portion of the cap, maybe one max guy and one pretty close. Even better are the ones that have spent even more. We will need atleast two Max guys to even be considered an elite team, let alone title contender.

JoseBoshnani wrote:Just isn't the case? That's just you saying, which means absolutely nothing. And you should know that not every team with cap space is looking to make a splash. There are talks that some teams who are clearly up cap space now are just doing so to save money and cut costs, and not necessarily to make a splash in 2010. Makes sense with the current economy.

Sure not every team will spend their cap money. But do you want the agents with all the power with all these teams in the market. Basically without Bosh your not going to land any star player coming here, your so-called batman ain't coming here without Bosh and the scraps left on this team. Again you've failed to address the fact that we will likely spend money and you want us to to be put in a position where we have to overspend for tier 2 free agent and more likely a tier 3 free agent. So now, not only did you not get your Batman, you lost your Robin (as you classified Bosh) and now all your left with is Batgirl. Good luck with that plan.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#107 » by will » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:20 pm

I hope Bosh sticks it to the Raps and signs with another team. Watch this board light up!
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#108 » by Yosemite Dan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:06 am

Here's the view in black and white rather than the rose coloured glassed we all like to wear. Signing Bosh to a max contract for 6 or 7 years averaging 20+ million a year will only guarantee this team remains on a treadmill. And that's assuming he stays relatively healthy in that span. If he starts breaking down (think where O'Neal is at right now physically). It's a distinct possibility based on his past history and his thin frame and the expectation that he is to lead us thru grueling playoff rounds year after year which will undoubtably wear him out prematurely. This is a player that has played alot of minutes at a physically demanding position in his young career and that's not a good sign. At that point the contract becomes an albatross around the team's neck that will set the franchise back a decade much like the Pacers had with O'Neal until they found a team stupid enough to take him off thier hands.

Chris Bosh is not the type of player, physically and defensively, to warrant such a hefty long term raise because that hefty raise will limit the talent that will surround him and he cannot carry the load with "average teammates" like James and Wade can as this season is a glaring reminder of. At this point it would be idiotic for the Raps to sign him long term for that much money and hopefully Bosh forces our hand by looking elsewhere because BC doesn't seem to have the vision to trade Bosh in the next 6 months unless he's forced to.

Return to Toronto Raptors