ImageImageImageImageImage

Looking back, when did you start following the NBA?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

I.D.
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Looking back, when did you start following the NBA? 

Post#1 » by I.D. » Thu Jan 1, 2009 11:59 pm

2008 was a long year for Raptors fans, I think. Not the worst by any means, but not near the best either. One of the funnier, or more frustrating, changes I've noticed is this senseless dichotomy that is developing amongst the ranks of Raps truthers; TJ v Jose, Bargs Hate v Bargs Love, Euro v US, Bargs v Bosh? That seems to always fall back on the question of origin, and unfortunately gets nasty from there. So I got curious...

The NBA is a league with a steep history and rich tradition when it comes to the game and specifically its stars. Although the image has changed a lot if you look closely the legacy of each era is carefully passed on. It happens amongst players and coaches, so why not the fans? Toronto is still a relatively new basketball market and a lot of posters (I think) may be pretty new to the NBA game, and without a culture there to fall back on name calling, baseless slander and outright ignorance isn't too hard to predict. Lacking any greater context, people take things personally.

So I go the idea to invite you all to talk about when you first started watching NBA ball and what got you into it? What players and teams stick out in your memory over the years? What stories or single moments get you hyped, break your heart or make you laugh to this day?

I really hope we can get some of the longer followers of the game involved because I think it would benefit those who haven't been exposed to as much of what NBA drama is about and remind us all why we all probably need to take a step or two back once in a while to realize this is a game, at heart, and looking back it was always for fun.

So to kick off, I was born in the 80's heard of Magic and Bird but never watched a full NBA game until the '91 season, first 'chip for the Bulls. Even still never became a consistent fan until '93, Chuck against Michael. Let me point out that although MJ is the greatest player I have ever witnessed I hated the Bulls (my fave player on that team was Horace Grant lmao), and only begrudingly reflect on their dynasty with awe :)

Although guys like MJ, Dream, Clyde, Stockton/Malone etc. were of another level at the time, my walls were filled with posters of Kemp, Payton, Penny, Shaq, Tim Hardaway and KJ to name a few. I still remember my first time seeing Kemp dunk on someone and instantly understanding what The Rain Man meant, my lord. I remember the hype around 'The Three J's' and thinking they were bull. Remember when the Knicks were legit? Oak, Ewing and Starks? Couldn't **** with those guys lol.

I remember the '96 playoffs, Bulls vs Magic! That was like Christmas for me as a kid. I remember Lil Penny and trying those lines he'd try with Tyra Banks at school (to no avail) I remember the Bulls vs Sonics final that year! That was one fine year, we beat the 72 win Bulls in the regular season that year, Mighty Mouse was my hero lol. Ehem. Anyway enough from me, look forward to reading your memories old and recent. Cheers.
“In the world through which I travel, I am endlessly creating myself.”
Frantz Fanon
derrek
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: Looking back, when did you start in the NBA? 

Post#2 » by derrek » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:02 am

I generally come off the bench.
Jack Armstrong shouts out my podcast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEw3ZURHBsc
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,648

Post#3 » by C_Money » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:09 am

Shortly before the 2003 draft that got us Chris Bosh. I never knew anybody that liked basketball so I never even considered watching it. What got me interested was NBA 2K3. I got it for a birthday present and I played that s*** till my eyes turned red. I caught the 2003 finals when the Spurs won and I was hooked. Couldn't wait for the next season to start.
Lionel Messi
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#4 » by Lionel Messi » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:14 am

oh...i started off back in 1984, drafted third overall by the bulls.
I.D.
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by I.D. » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:15 am

C_Money wrote:Shortly before the 2003 draft that got us Chris Bosh. I never knew anybody that liked basketball so I never even considered watching it. What got me interested was NBA 2K3. I got it for a birthday present and I played that s*** till my eyes turned red. I caught the 2003 finals when the Spurs won and I was hooked. Couldn't wait for the next season to start.

Man my first two NBA games were Bulls vs Lakers, and Jordan vs Bord: One on One, I remember a friend had a copy of Bulls vs Lakers and we paid him in candy to borrow it for weeks at a time :lol: both games straight sucked!

edit: title fixed to appease the "clever" people :wink:
Frantz Fanon
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#6 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:16 am

Well, for me, I got hooked the moment I started watching NBA games on NBC. I loved the insight that their commentators provided...and I just enjoyed watching NBA games because of it.

What got me really interested in the Raptors was the 76ers/Raptors series....again on NBC...the one in which Vince Carter missed the ill-fated three in the corner. BTW that team w/ VC, Alvin Williams, Oak, AD....that was a sick team, and I'd kill to see BC follow a similar formula in building this team (just don't give out a bunch of ridiculous contracts to role players...freakin' Grunwald).
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,342

Post#7 » by TOStateofMind » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:16 am

Never got to the nba, unfortunately.

Seriously though, I got into the nba in 1998.
Lionel Messi
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#8 » by Lionel Messi » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:23 am

I.D. wrote:
C_Money wrote:Shortly before the 2003 draft that got us Chris Bosh. I never knew anybody that liked basketball so I never even considered watching it. What got me interested was NBA 2K3. I got it for a birthday present and I played that s*** till my eyes turned red. I caught the 2003 finals when the Spurs won and I was hooked. Couldn't wait for the next season to start.

Man my first two NBA games were Bulls vs Lakers, and Jordan vs Bord: One on One, I remember a friend had a copy of Bulls vs Lakers and we paid him in candy to borrow it for weeks at a time :lol: both games straight sucked!

edit: title fixed to appease the "clever" people :wink:

lol...it was too ttempting.

i only immigrated in to canada in 2000, and was only introduced to basketball in grade 6 but never got into the NBA, i mostly just played.

Bosh's sophomore season (or the Wince Carter being traded year) was my first as a raptors fan and i watched as many games as i could.

im now 17 (yes, it's only been 4 years, lol).
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Re: Looking back, when did you start following the NBA? 

Post#9 » by OhMyBosh » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:28 am

The year we drafted McGrady.
orangutooth
Sixth Man
And1: 101

Post#10 » by orangutooth » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:33 am

when jordan retired to go into baseball
Sam wasn't the solution, but he wasn't the problem either
- Harry Palmer
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#11 » by execoftheyear » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:40 am

I was fortunate enough to start watching during the Raptors' inaugural season because of my dad but I was 5 or 6 at the time so I didn't really know anything about basketball but I vividly remember some of the players we had and how good Damon Stoudemire was for us, whom at the time was my favourite player. My favourite teams were Orlando, Chicago and of course the Raptors. Didn't know any of the players on Orlando (except Nick Anderson who was strangely one of my favourite players) and Chicago (I didn't even know who Jordan was until later), I liked those teams because their logos looked cool lol and I think they had a bit of a rivalry.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch much of Jordan at the time and I basically didn't know who he was and how big he was until that game the Raptors beat the Bulls which my sisters went to. I remember watching that game only to look for my sisters in the crowd on TV rather than watching the game and Michael Jordan in all his glory but I do remember the last seconds of the game where we had a huge celebration after Jordan's last shot that didn't count.
Carnage
Starter

Post#12 » by Carnage » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:43 am

Jordan vs. Barkley, 1993 NBA Finals...classic series
azorian
Veteran
And1: 1,660

Post#13 » by azorian » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:45 am

i think someone else mentioned it but the old Bulls vs Lakers and Bird Vs Jordan games brought the NBA into my life.

I was still fairly young so my bed time was earlier then the games started or maybe there just weren't any games televised on the channels we had.

After that I became a full fledged fan the year the isiah trampled through our logo.
vinsanity09
Pro Prospect
And1: 203

Post#14 » by vinsanity09 » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:48 am

2002-2003 season,became a Raptors fan because of VC and since it was the only team that I could watch 82 games, they quickly became my favorite team.
Oakville_Raptor
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#15 » by Oakville_Raptor » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:50 am

MJ's last season in the nba so the 97/98 season
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,968

Post#16 » by vulture » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:52 am

In 1991, Lakers vs Bulls finals. Then, I became a huge fan of Hakeem and followed the rockets.
notorious_01
Freshman

Post#17 » by notorious_01 » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:53 am

the year 2000 was when i started. Man the raptors were something back then. Vince carter was at his prime and Toronto was ALIVE AND READY!! We actually made it to the second round lol. What was amazing is it s not like we were swept in the second round by phili. We pushed it to game 7 and a 1 POSSESSION GAME. Then Carter missed :cry: But w.e, time to look forward and clean up this mess
juggler
Freshman

Post#18 » by juggler » Fri Jan 2, 2009 12:54 am

the 2nd jordan era is when i started watching ball. the first era was when he won the first 3 titles and then retired. when he came out of retirement is when i started watching ball. when he came back for the 3rd era with the wizards i was kind of against jordan mainly due to the fact that he had said negative things about VC which in part was true. i still remember the summer he was coming back, carter promised to drop 50 against jordan but i think only managed to get like 19 points but we won still i think the score was 87-84.
WD-40
Banned User

Post#19 » by WD-40 » Fri Jan 2, 2009 1:02 am

The Jordan era. Followed the Sonics with Payton and Kemp. The Rockets were fun to watch. Hakeem is still my favourite player to date.

edit: the sprewell knicks were fun to watch in the playoffs too.
I.D.
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by I.D. » Fri Jan 2, 2009 1:04 am

execoftheyear wrote:I was fortunate enough to start watching during the Raptors' inaugural season because of my dad but I was 5 or 6 at the time so I didn't really know anything about basketball but I vividly remember some of the players we had and how good Damon Stoudemire was for us, whom at the time was my favourite player. My favourite teams were Orlando, Chicago and of course the Raptors. Didn't know any of the players on Orlando (except Nick Anderson who was strangely one of my favourite players) and Chicago (I didn't even know who Jordan was until later), I liked those teams because their logos looked cool lol and I think they had a bit of a rivalry.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch much of Jordan at the time and I basically didn't know who he was and how big he was until that game the Raptors beat the Bulls which my sisters went to. I remember watching that game only to look for my sisters in the crowd on TV rather than watching the game and Michael Jordan in all his glory but I do remember the last seconds of the game where we had a huge celebration after Jordan's last shot that didn't count.

Lol there are a few teams I hated cause of their logos when I started watching, GSW, Mavs, never much cared for the Nets unis in that era either, god awful. Lol Nick Anderson was one of my faves too.
Frantz Fanon

Return to Toronto Raptors