ImageImageImageImageImage

Positive and Negative things about JO

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

raptor21_85
Banned User
And1: 2

Positive and Negative things about JO 

Post#1 » by raptor21_85 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:00 am

Positive:
Brought toughness
Helped bargs post moves and increase his D
Made the Raptors win some games
Rebounds better

Negative:
Injuries
Makes the team too slow
Breaks the chemistry of the team ¿?

thoughts
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,140

Re: Positive and Negative things about JO 

Post#2 » by gp2015 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:01 am

Black hole on offense
Settles for too many jumpers
Can't shoot
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#3 » by timdunkit » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:13 am

JO's toughness is overrated. I've said this before, he is individually tough but he doesn't make his team tougher, he doesn't carry that leadership quality infused with toughness. He needs to get on guys, thats real toughness its one thing to stand to your enemies, its another to your teammates ...

Example, he wasn't around the bench during games, he has 24 hrs to choose when to get his treatment ... why do it when your team is playing? Another example, he is playing his own team but there is no fire, no edge even if he just got back, he should try to get his teammates into it ... Lastly, after not speaking to the media for a while the first thing he comes is about trade talk ... He believed in this team and was a source of high expectations, what happened? I am sorry JO is tough, he says the right things but doesn't effect his team ...
travesy3
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#4 » by travesy3 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:37 am

He simply doesn't make us a better team. No need for him IMO, I'd deal him simply for a shakeup at this point. I'd rather see Bargs play 40 minutes than have JO steal shots and minutes from him.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#5 » by 5DOM » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:41 am

negative: bargs plays like garbage when JO is healthy enough to play
alberta_rapsfan
Junior

Post#6 » by alberta_rapsfan » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:58 am

Negatives - Hes on our team, he hasnt been traded yet

Positives- He will soon be traded
Top_Gun
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Top_Gun » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:02 am

JO brings toughness and leadership. The only reason he hasn't shown it is because Bosh is the "leader" and doesn't want to cause problems within the team.
chrome381
Starter

Post#8 » by chrome381 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:30 am

Top_Gun wrote:JO brings toughness and leadership. The only reason he hasn't shown it is because Bosh is the "leader" and doesn't want to cause problems within the team.

soo he shoots those ugly fade away jumpers because of leadership hummm i think their something wrong with ur brain
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#9 » by Vlade Divac » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:41 am

I am very disappointed with JO. I expected a heart and swagger. All I got was disinterested "can't hit the lake" old man.
user name
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by user name » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:27 am

Negative:
Traded all the Raptors assets to get him
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#11 » by J Dilla » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:31 am

Positive- does everything you want a C to do

Negative- Salary
SuigintouEV
General Manager
And1: 1,555

Post#12 » by SuigintouEV » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:39 am

Positives:
Contract Expires in 2010
Willing passer when it comes to hitting up cutters in the lane from post.
The best defensive center the raptors have ever had, and the only guy in the organization who knows how to be a big man defensively.
Willing to take a hard foul.
Pretty good post scorer when he keeps his body balanced against single coverage.
Very articulate and well-spoken in interviews.
Total Class-act.

Negatives
30 years old.
Contract is huge for the next 2 years.
Injury-prone
Doesn't get lift on his legs anymore.
When doubled in the post, can be a black hole.
Takes a lot of fade-aways
questionable rebounding
Sometimes looks lost offensively without the ball
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
AcesFull
Junior
And1: 6

Post#13 » by AcesFull » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:15 am

SuigintouEV wrote:Positives:
Contract Expires in 2010
The best defensive center the raptors have ever had, and the only guy in the organization who knows how to be a big man defensively.
Pretty good post scorer when he keeps his body balanced against single coverage.
Total Class-act.

Negatives
30 years old.
Injury-prone
questionable rebounding

Well said
from24ft
Banned User
Location: doing funnels and the kozak dance at the company picnic

Post#14 » by from24ft » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:25 am

Personally, I think he has lost his will to compete.

Didn't like how he was smiling out there while we were down 20. Doctors and insurance companies have a term "Malingering". What happens is that a person gets into an accident or a claim and stops working.... they then find it extremely difficult to go back to the same active life even though the condition no longer effects them. It is a state of mind. Atrophy is condition that makes us lose that which we don't use. I feel atrophy can also effect will power.

A worker that is used to having sick days will function differently to a worker that does not. It always astounds me when I look at immigrants who work 3 jobs and are able to still function and than see a co-worker who is too stressed out by their 7.5 hours who just came back from Caribbean vacation.

If you took away JO's comfortable life style, he would be a different player.
sl64
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by sl64 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:32 am

Pros:

-Experienced
-Decent back to the basket game
-Takes charges well

Cons:

-Has no lift left in his legs
-Demands the ball and room to iso even though he lacks to quickness to do anything any more
-Doesn't seem to realize how limited he is at this point in his career
-Focuses on getting his offensively at the expense of his defense at times
-Slow
-Obviously, misses about a third of games and is somewhat hurt in another third
-Much too keen to shoot that stupid baseline fadeaway
-Mental lapses on D ("he's the best defender on our team!" that says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING)
-Bad body language
-Seems to coast and not be "into" the game for stretches. no heart
-Black hole... just a horrendous passer
-30 years old going on 45
-Generally bad shooter
-Holds the ball much too long on isos
-Obviously, eats up about 40% of payroll and gives us like 15% of production or less

I can think of others, I'm just lazy to list them
Here's the thing about Chris Bosh ... If Joey Graham had longer arms, he'd be just as effective at PF." --SuigintouEV
thegame10
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by thegame10 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:33 am

To be honest the only negative jo has is injuries which was the only thing i expected when we got him. Other than that i had no expectation for him but he has surprised me a lot. I used to hate but since we got him he changed my mind. If this was 4 years ago i would take this dude over bosh any day of the week. All the bashing about his fad away, jumpers etc is all due to the injuries...if he stays healthy and he would likely get his game back. Plus JO has that street game when he body dude down low. If he can teach bosh some of that post game bosh would be unstoppable.
evilRyu
General Manager

Post#17 » by evilRyu » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:24 am

timdunkit wrote:JO's toughness is overrated. I've said this before, he is individually tough but he doesn't make his team tougher, he doesn't carry that leadership quality infused with toughness. He needs to get on guys, thats real toughness its one thing to stand to your enemies, its another to your teammates ...

That's a bit ridiculous to expect JO to turn around the swagger of a team... Yeah, let's not blame the other players on the team, who all do not have the characteristic of being tough... Just having JO in the paint as a defender adds a layer of toughness the Raptors have never really had since AD. Do you really think having JO barking at his teammates is really going to make them tougher? C'mon..... even if it does, how do you know it's not being done behind closed doors (ie, not shown on camera for us to witness)?

timdunkit wrote:Example, he wasn't around the bench during games, he has 24 hrs to choose when to get his treatment ... why do it when your team is playing? Another example, he is playing his own team but there is no fire, no edge even if he just got back, he should try to get his teammates into it ... Lastly, after not speaking to the media for a while the first thing he comes is about trade talk ... He believed in this team and was a source of high expectations, what happened? I am sorry JO is tough, he says the right things but doesn't effect his team ...

Oh boy..... you've GOT to be kidding me right? You do know who the Raptors faced when JO made his return right? You do know that the media will be all over him asking him questions about his time in Indiana, and to reflect on the trade? And with ALL the trade speculation in the media, you know he's bound to be asked about it.

What is more likely to be printed in the paper, trade gossip, or just the regular cliche: "it's nice to be back in Indiana, got great memories here, etc etc.....".

And as for your other quotes about JO getting treatment during games, do you really know what his schedule consists of? You seem like you know when it's appropriate to get treatment for his surgically repaired knee...
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#18 » by timdunkit » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:21 pm

evilRyu wrote:
That's a bit ridiculous to expect JO to turn around the swagger of a team... Yeah, let's not blame the other players on the team, who all do not have the characteristic of being tough... Just having JO in the paint as a defender adds a layer of toughness the Raptors have never really had since AD. Do you really think having JO barking at his teammates is really going to make them tougher? C'mon..... even if it does, how do you know it's not being done behind closed doors (ie, not shown on camera for us to witness)?

Oh boy..... you've GOT to be kidding me right? You do know who the Raptors faced when JO made his return right? You do know that the media will be all over him asking him questions about his time in Indiana, and to reflect on the trade? And with ALL the trade speculation in the media, you know he's bound to be asked about it.

What is more likely to be printed in the paper, trade gossip, or just the regular cliche: "it's nice to be back in Indiana, got great memories here, etc etc.....".

And as for your other quotes about JO getting treatment during games, do you really know what his schedule consists of? You seem like you know when it's appropriate to get treatment for his surgically repaired knee...

If you read what I said, I said he was individually tough but didn't carry that leadership quality to make his teammates tougher which I am guessing you agree with me because the swagger of this team hasn't changed. Btw it is possible for a player to turn the approach of a team around, look at KG and his effect on the team. JO and KG are 2 different people I know that but back in the summer, JO was the one who was talking about being a contender and defense but what happened? JO was the one giving fans all the BULL and is part of the reason why we had such high expectations.

To you 2nd point, I was referring to the talk about him been traded. I can't find the article but I can remember he said something along the lines how him and BC still talk and things are good. Also, today another article came out saying someone close to him said he thinks he will end up in Miami If the source is correct ( i guess i owe you an apology because I am jumping the gun on this one). I am not talking about the trade with Indiana, I am talking the trade speculation, he should just easily waive of the question by saying " You know what I am a raptor now and I just need to think about helping the team. What ever happens happens."

And no I don't know what JO schedule is like. What I do know is that a leader of the team he should be behind the bench when they are playing because thats what a true leader would do. But as you can clearly see he is not. JO was brought here for what most of us hoped where his intangibles ... leadership was not one of them ...
bane_dd
Banned User

Post#19 » by bane_dd » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:21 pm

alberta_rapsfan wrote:Negatives - Hes on our team, he hasnt been traded yet

Positives- He will soon be traded

LOL +1
AB_21
Analyst
And1: 23

Post#20 » by AB_21 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:30 pm

SuigintouEV wrote:Positives:
Contract Expires in 2010
Total Class-act.

Negatives
30 years old.
Injury-prone
questionable rebounding

+1

Return to Toronto Raptors